Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Port Pirie Power » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:25 pm

Can't say I've heard a thing regarding Mark. Assuming this means he is still at Northerns.
Port Pirie Power
Rookie

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 11 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:24 pm

Staying at NDCC I believe
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1465 times
Been liked: 245 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Port Pirie Power » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:52 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:Staying at NDCC I believe

Think everyone expected that. Heard any other news out of Northerns TC?
Port Pirie Power
Rookie

Postby heater31 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:56 pm

Port Pirie Power wrote:

They've got money to burn.......hope they use it wisely ;)
heater31

Has liked: 526 times
Been liked: 1273 times

Postby The Myth » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:15 pm

Pardon my ignorance but if Northerns and Prospects have so much money to burn then why can't they attract some big names?? In fact they are losing players at a rapid rate.
The Myth

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 10 times

Postby heater31 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:22 pm

The Myth wrote:Pardon my ignorance but if Northerns and Prospects have so much money to burn then why can't they attract some big names?? In fact they are losing players at a rapid rate.

Who in their right mind of any quality would want to drive out to Salisbury? Things have been on the slide out there for a long time, is it a lingering side effect of the merger?
heater31

Postby The Myth » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:43 pm

Salisbury isn't exactly the other end of the world. I would have thought that if you build a culture and a good club that people want to be part of them it will attract anyone. Plus good coaching is huge.
I see clubs like Port and Woodville who seem to recruit very smartly and they're not exactly cricket strong areas.
I hope Northerns can get it together as it's a big area to be anything but a powerhouse. Really there is no excuse
The Myth

Postby Port Pirie Power » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:27 pm

heater31 wrote:
The Myth wrote:Pardon my ignorance but if Northerns and Prospects have so much money to burn then why can't they attract some big names?? In fact they are losing players at a rapid rate.

Who in their right mind of any quality would want to drive out to Salisbury? Things have been on the slide out there for a long time, is it a lingering side effect of the merger?

Most definitely a side effect of the merger many years ago. All the legends of Salisbury - Heidrich, Sleep, Bishop, Bradbrook etc etc etc are not part of Northern Districts, and have no intentions of helping fix a club that is effectively not theirs.

Sleep - TTG, Bradbrook - ET have shown that they are good coaches whilst Heidrich - Brahma Lodge had shown good intentions that he wants to be a coach. Imagine having those 3 in a set up at Northerns, would be scarily good!

I tend to honk the location of Salisbury is not really a deterrent for playing at the Jets. More rather the off field problems and now on field problems would be a reason to not go out there. I feel as if they sorted that out then things could change out there quickly.
Port Pirie Power
Rookie

Postby Tony Clifton » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:41 pm

Port Pirie Power wrote:

Just that they've picked up a bowler from TTG B Grade, Ollie Shattock. Decent trundler. Chance for A's.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Lineandlength » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:14 am

Tony Clifton wrote:
Port Pirie Power wrote:

Just that they've picked up a bowler from TTG B Grade, Ollie Shattock. Decent trundler. Chance for A's.

seriously? - 9 2nd grade wickets in 9 seasons.
Lineandlength
Mini-League

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide Lutheran

Postby Happycamper » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:54 am

Port Pirie Power wrote:
heater31 wrote:

Most definitely a side effect of the merger many years ago. All the legends of Salisbury - Heidrich, Sleep, Bishop, Bradbrook etc etc etc are not part of Northern Districts, and have no intentions of helping fix a club that is effectively not theirs.

Sleep - TTG, Bradbrook - ET have shown that they are good coaches whilst Heidrich - Brahma Lodge had shown good intentions that he wants to be a coach. Imagine having those 3 in a set up at Northerns, would be scarily good!

I tend to honk the location of Salisbury is not really a deterrent for playing at the Jets. More rather the off field problems and now on field problems would be a reason to not go out there. I feel as if they sorted that out then things could change out there quickly.

I am not hearing that there is money to burn at Northerns, in fact I am hearing the exact opposite. They were trying to get a top line fast bowler but failed. There are apparently several new B grade recruits (not sure why they need to recruit B graders). I just hope they have not been promised cash and A grade games in front of others. I am told recent recruits have not delivered.
Happycamper
Mini-League

Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby The Myth » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:48 am

9 times out of 10 B graders will be just that. Hopefully they're not banking on them to deliver too much up top
The Myth

Postby Tony Clifton » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:16 pm

Lineandlength wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:
Port Pirie Power wrote:

seriously? - 9 2nd grade wickets in 9 seasons.

He can bowl. 23 wickets at 9 in the C's last season. Just has been injury prone and stuck behind others in strong teams.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Tony Clifton » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:20 pm

Happycamper wrote:I am not hearing that there is money to burn at Northerns, in fact I am hearing the exact opposite. They were trying to get a top line fast bowler but failed. There are apparently several new B grade recruits (not sure why they need to recruit B graders). I just hope they have not been promised cash and A grade games in front of others. I am told recent recruits have not delivered.

Their juniors have fallen away compared to what they were, when they used to make up about half of every state junior squad. Also the retention of the good juniors they did have fell away.

However I believe they have done a lot of work in that space this season, to the point that the trials for their junior teams went gangbusters and they had a truckload to choose from.

I don't mind seeing clubs recruiting at the top end or adding depth to the senior squad (short term fix) providing that they are also doing the right things at the bottom.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Tony Clifton » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:16 pm

Port Pirie Power wrote:

Also Chris Duval is fit and playing again
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Happycamper » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:49 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:
Happycamper wrote:I am not hearing that there is money to burn at Northerns, in fact I am hearing the exact opposite. They were trying to get a top line fast bowler but failed. There are apparently several new B grade recruits (not sure why they need to recruit B graders). I just hope they have not been promised cash and A grade games in front of others. I am told recent recruits have not delivered.

Their juniors have fallen away compared to what they were, when they used to make up about half of every state junior squad. Also the retention of the good juniors they did have fell away.

However I believe they have done a lot of work in that space this season, to the point that the trials for their junior teams went gangbusters and they had a truckload to choose from.

I don't mind seeing clubs recruiting at the top end or adding depth to the senior squad (short term fix) providing that they are also doing the right things at the bottom.

All recruiting and paying B graders and promising them games will do is further delay the progression of talented younger players and really annoy true club players and members. Why would any club, especially those with supposedly no money, pay to recruit B grade cricketers?
Happycamper
Mini-League

Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Tony Clifton » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:45 pm

Happycamper wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:

All recruiting and paying B graders and promising them games will do is further delay the progression of talented younger players and really annoy true club players and members. Why would any club, especially those with supposedly no money, pay to recruit B grade cricketers?

I'm sure they'd rather recruit gilt-edged A Grade stars but they're not easy to get, especially for a wooden spooner.

A few recruits won't stop any decent kids coming through because they don't have many decent kids at the moment. Also their Cs and Ds got belted last year which makes it harder to keep the kids they do have around the place. Some depth won't hurt them at all.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby bowl100 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:12 pm

What are the thoughts from everyone here about how West Torrens will back up this year? Interesting to see how they will go...
bowl100
Mini-League

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Postby bulldogproud » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:17 pm

bowl100 wrote:What are the thoughts from everyone here about how West Torrens will back up this year? Interesting to see how they will go...

We certainly have the players, attitude commitment and the coaching structure to back up well again this year. A lot will depend upon injuries. Two seasons ago, we took out the wooden spoon. Last year, we won all three trophies. This was with pretty much the same squad, just that injuries to our top-line bowlers were devastating two years ago whilst we had a great run with them last year; amazing what a fully fit squad can do.
Cheers
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby heater31 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:42 pm

Anyone seen the new rumoured playing conditions for this season?

Mandatory Helmets in all grades regardless of age for Fast Medium bowlers and quicker. In removing one hazard (copping one on the scone) creates another and will lead to more cancelled matches due to heat IMO.

I know personally I always wear one unless its 40 +
heater31

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps