Stanley Cricket Association

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Stanley Cricket Association

Postby BPlumber » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:30 pm

Angler wrote:I think what happy hawk means is Gilbert Valley are looking at possibly combining with Auburn/Mintaro. GV have lost their thirds side this season and are short on A1’s players. Mitchell, Allen and Edwards would compliment their A1 team well. The rest of the Bullants team would filter through their seconds and also help get their thirds back on their feet. Geographically it would make sense also, given the close proximity of Auburn and Saddleworth.

I also believe that quite a few Lower North cricketers are now wasted in the Stanley comp given it’s decline. The only thing holding it back from joining the BLCA is the travel factor.

Interesting times ahead and still plenty of water to go under the bridge before any of this happens.

That’s a massive call about lower north... they have won 1 out of the last three flags. Wouldn’t say that record is a cut above the rest?
BPlumber
Mini-League

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 7 times

Postby Angler » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:53 pm

I meant a select few players in their A Grade (e.g. McPharlins, Marshall). I reckon a guy like Todd McPharlin would relish playing on turf week in week out.

But let’s be honest they have dominated the comp for the last 8 or 9 seasons. They have won 6 of the last 8 flags, including losing 2 of the last 3 after finishing top and have only lost one game this season.
Angler

Been liked: 13 times

Postby BPlumber » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:58 pm

Angler wrote:I meant a select few players in their A Grade (e.g. McPharlins, Marshall). I reckon a guy like Todd McPharlin would relish playing on turf week in week out.

But let’s be honest they have dominated the comp for the last 8 or 9 seasons. They have won 6 of the last 8 flags, including losing 2 of the last 3 after finishing top and have only lost one game this season.

No doubt they probably have 2-3 more A class talents than the next best teams, but you could argue that The next two teams also have a good amount of A class talent. BK have will Pratt with the bat, Clifford as a keeper batsman and Ben Pratt as an allrounder along with his spin twin Harris with the ball. Sevenhill has the leading run scorer Dopson, Scheepers as a keeper batsmen and kuerschner as a allrounder plus the handy spin duo of Wells/Whalen.

I think the comp is a bit closer than the ladders looks. The next couple of weeks will be interesting, LN definitely have some demons to bury this year and will be extremely difficult to beat especially with a home final.

Anyone have any tips this week for both grades?
BPlumber
Mini-League

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:10 pm

BPlumber wrote:
Angler wrote:I meant a select few players in their A Grade (e.g. McPharlins, Marshall). I reckon a guy like Todd McPharlin would relish playing on turf week in week out.

No doubt they probably have 2-3 more A class talents than the next best teams, but you could argue that The next two teams also have a good amount of A class talent. BK have will Pratt with the bat, Clifford as a keeper batsman and Ben Pratt as an allrounder along with his spin twin Harris with the ball. Sevenhill has the leading run scorer Dopson, Scheepers as a keeper batsmen and kuerschner as a allrounder plus the handy spin duo of Wells/Whalen.

I think the comp is a bit closer than the ladders looks. The next couple of weeks will be interesting, LN definitely have some demons to bury this year and will be extremely difficult to beat especially with a home final.

Whalan*
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby BPlumber » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:12 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
BPlumber wrote:

Whalan*

Apologies
BPlumber
Mini-League

Postby whufc » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:38 pm

BPlumber wrote:

I was told by the Blyth guys that the GF would be held at Sevenhill once again after the annual vote.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5566 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby whufc » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:40 pm

Tips wise i think Lower North will account for Blyth, especially after losing to them a fortnight ago.

Sevenhill/Brinkworth will be the close one. Sevenhill have beat Brinky the last 4 times out but the margins had all been very close until a fortnight ago when the Seahorses won some what easy.

Sevenhill have the depth despite having a couple out this weekend now but Brinky still have enough talent in Steele, Cat and Jeopard to cause an upset.
whufc
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:59 pm

BPlumber wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Whalan*

Apologies

All good mate, a private joke.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby The Bedge » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:52 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:Whalan*

Certainly is on the sads thread.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby whufc » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:33 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
BPlumber wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Whalan*

Apologies

All good mate, a private joke.

Ive never hidden my username from anyone. Nothing i wouldnt say on here that i wouldnt say in person. Nothing to hide.
whufc
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:59 pm

whufc wrote:Ive never hidden my username from anyone. Nothing i wouldnt say on here that i wouldnt say in person. Nothing to hide.

It's true, first time I met him he came up and said "Hey Phantom, you're a wanker! .. ps i'm whuffer" 8)
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Angler » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:18 am

I’m gonna jump the gun and say it will be a Lower North v Sevenhill GF.

LN to win this week and go straight through. Sevenhill will be tested this week against Brinkworth, but with their depth in batting & bowling should get over the line.
Blyth have had a great season and have certainly improved. But I’m predicting they’ll go out in straight sets.

Just my opinion. Best of luck to all involved.
Angler

Been liked: 13 times

Postby whufc » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:20 am

Angler wrote:I’m gonna jump the gun and say it will be a Lower North v Sevenhill GF.

LN to win this week and go straight through. Sevenhill will be tested this week against Brinkworth, but with their depth in batting & bowling should get over the line.
Blyth have had a great season and have certainly improved. But I’m predicting they’ll go out in straight sets.

Just my opinion. Best of luck to all involved.

I agree with you.

In saying that Blyth will be enjoying this bit of rain about up here and will hoping for a couple lush outfields. Their snail trail bowling attack can be hard to get away at the best of times, nevermind if the outfield is a bit heavy and there is zero pace coming from the bowlers.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:10 am

Stars somewhat aligning for the Seahorses with only the one out his week now after it looking like 3 blokes could be missing.

Should be a cracker weekend of cricket in decent weather. Great to see a finals series where both games could go either way and 1 of any 4 times could make the GF. If Brinky knocked us off this weekend it wouldnt be a stretch to suggest they could do the same to blyth if it falls that way.
whufc
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:08 am

whufc wrote:Stars somewhat aligning for the Seahorses with only the one out his week now after it looking like 3 blokes could be missing.

Should be a cracker weekend of cricket in decent weather. Great to see a finals series where both games could go either way and 1 of any 4 times could make the GF. If Brinky knocked us off this weekend it wouldnt be a stretch to suggest they could do the same to blyth if it falls that way.

Are you the one that is out or did you man up ;)
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby whufc » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:38 am

daysofourlives wrote:
whufc wrote:Stars somewhat aligning for the Seahorses with only the one out his week now after it looking like 3 blokes could be missing.

Manned up thanks to the Safooty community! :D

Now to bowl my 9 overs 0/75 and wish i went to the wedding. :)
whufc
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:53 am

whufc wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

Manned up thanks to the Safooty community! :D

Now to bowl my 9 overs 0/75 and wish i went to the wedding. :)

WHUFC to be the hero with the bat, 35no to rescue the team from a diabolical position
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:01 am

Results went as expected on the weekend.

Interestingly Blyth have chosen to play at Balak. We know their theory but i reckon they have it slightly wrong. I guess if they win their captain is a hero, if they lose he made an error. We are pretty content playing at Balak though. Our style of cricket stands up to finals pressure very well, we have kind of adopted the anywhere/anytime attitude.

Look forward to it either way and now we are set for a pretty interesting GF regardless of this weekends result. If the Seahorses win we see a rematch of last years grand final upset, LN will be out for revenge. If Blyth makes it they will be playing in their first GF in 50 years appears apparenly.....since the 60's
whufc
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:17 pm

whufc wrote:Results went as expected on the weekend.

Interestingly Blyth have chosen to play at Balak. We know their theory but i reckon they have it slightly wrong. I guess if they win their captain is a hero, if they lose he made an error. We are pretty content playing at Balak though. Our style of cricket stands up to finals pressure very well, we have kind of adopted the anywhere/anytime attitude.

Look forward to it either way and now we are set for a pretty interesting GF regardless of this weekends result. If the Seahorses win we see a rematch of last years grand final upset, LN will be out for revenge. If Blyth makes it they will be playing in their first GF in 50 years appears apparenly.....since the 60's

I have a question you may or may not know the answer to.
Did Ryan Darling play cricket for Blyth like his footy? If he did surely they would've played in Grand Finals
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:52 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
whufc wrote:Results went as expected on the weekend.

I have a question you may or may not know the answer to.
Did Ryan Darling play cricket for Blyth like his footy? If he did surely they would've played in Grand Finals

I havent played against Ryan since ive been up here but funnily enough he played for Lower North when he did play up here for some reason. Played over 30 games for them averaging over 50.

He is talked about as being one of the best bats this comp has seen. Most have him in their top 3.

p.s quick mycricket check the last time he played was 2014/15 when it looks like he played a full season.
whufc
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps