Stanley Cricket Association

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Stanley Cricket Association

Postby OnSong » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:01 pm

whufc wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:
whufc wrote:Results went as expected on the weekend.

Interestingly Blyth have chosen to play at Balak. We know their theory but i reckon they have it slightly wrong. I guess if they win their captain is a hero, if they lose he made an error. We are pretty content playing at Balak though. Our style of cricket stands up to finals pressure very well, we have kind of adopted the anywhere/anytime attitude.

Look forward to it either way and now we are set for a pretty interesting GF regardless of this weekends result. If the Seahorses win we see a rematch of last years grand final upset, LN will be out for revenge. If Blyth makes it they will be playing in their first GF in 50 years appears apparenly.....since the 60's

I have a question you may or may not know the answer to.
Did Ryan Darling play cricket for Blyth like his footy? If he did surely they would've played in Grand Finals

I havent played against Ryan since ive been up here but funnily enough he played for Lower North when he did play up here for some reason. Played over 30 games for them averaging over 50.

He is talked about as being one of the best bats this comp has seen. Most have him in their top 3.

p.s quick mycricket check the last time he played was 2014/15 when it looks like he played a full season.

He played for Lower North because Lower North was formerly an association in its own right, which included Lochiel. His father, Wayne (not the SA player) played for Lochiel, so when Lower North was formed, Ryan ended up playing for the Buffalos.

Clearly the best all-rounder I've seen in the competition other than Cat Meyer. Brilliant fielder too.
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:08 pm

OnSong wrote:
whufc wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

Interestingly Blyth have chosen to play at Balak. We know their theory but i reckon they have it slightly wrong. I guess if they win their captain is a hero, if they lose he made an error. We are pretty content playing at Balak though. Our style of cricket stands up to finals pressure very well, we have kind of adopted the anywhere/anytime attitude.

Look forward to it either way and now we are set for a pretty interesting GF regardless of this weekends result. If the Seahorses win we see a rematch of last years grand final upset, LN will be out for revenge. If Blyth makes it they will be playing in their first GF in 50 years appears apparenly.....since the 60's

Did Ryan Darling play cricket for Blyth like his footy? If he did surely they would've played in Grand Finals

I havent played against Ryan since ive been up here but funnily enough he played for Lower North when he did play up here for some reason. Played over 30 games for them averaging over 50.

He is talked about as being one of the best bats this comp has seen. Most have him in their top 3.

p.s quick mycricket check the last time he played was 2014/15 when it looks like he played a full season.

He played for Lower North because Lower North was formerly an association in its own right, which included Lochiel. His father, Wayne (not the SA player) played for Lochiel, so when Lower North was formed, Ryan ended up playing for the Buffalos.

Clearly the best all-rounder I've seen in the competition other than Cat Meyer. Brilliant fielder too.

Wayne used to bowl with a fair bit of pace, off one of the longest run ups I ever saw. Thought he played for Snowtown...but it was 35+ years ago
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby OnSong » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:09 pm

Possibly. Either way, still in the Lower North comp.
OnSong
Coach

Postby BPlumber » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:59 pm

OnSong wrote:
whufc wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

This is spot on. Would most likely have come to Blyth with the footballers, however there was on A grade team at the time.
Also spotted Thursday night bowling heat at his footy mates at BKCCs finals training...
BPlumber
Mini-League

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 7 times

Postby OnSong » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:19 pm

Personally, I love the way Benny has chosen to take Sevenhill to Balaklava, a traditionally slower outfield where they feel they'll have their best chance at winning.
You've got the right to choose where you play and they're exercising that, it's a formula that got them this far. Smart stuff.

I know when playing for Lower North, we opted to take Brinky to Long Plains for a grand final as the outfield was the best in the comp and it made them drive the furthest they possibly could. Made it hard for Scooter at presentations with the A2s in Clare, so not sure you can keep doing that now.
OnSong
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:38 pm

OnSong wrote:Personally, I love the way Benny has chosen to take Sevenhill to Balaklava, a traditionally slower outfield where they feel they'll have their best chance at winning.
You've got the right to choose where you play and they're exercising that, it's a formula that got them this far. Smart stuff.

I know when playing for Lower North, we opted to take Brinky to Long Plains for a grand final as the outfield was the best in the comp and it made them drive the furthest they possibly could. Made it hard for Scooter at presentations with the A2s in Clare, so not sure you can keep doing that now.

Im not sure how it works in their favour though. Helps there bowling but imo equally hurts their batting.

Our bowlers will love the slower outfield especially the spinners, Coles and Fridge and batting wise i believe we have a much better blend of blokes who knock singles around (Dopson, Kuerschner, Wells) whilst we also have some hitting power and boundary hitters(Scheepers, Stewart, Redden, M.Kuerschner) which Blyth dont really have.

I get it against some teams but i know we much prefer playing them on Balak compared to say a Brinky where there younger stroke players become dangerous boundary hitters.

I guess it all comes down to Saturday and if they win his a bloody genius.

ps. I like Pratty, good bloke, love his intenstity and love what his done for Blyth this year. If we lose on the weekend i would love to see them take out the whole thing.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5566 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby OnSong » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:36 pm

I think Ben realises they don't have the capacity to make big scores but the do have the capacity to defend lower ones. And if that's the case, a slower outfield will give them a better chance to do just that.
OnSong
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:43 pm

OnSong wrote:I think Ben realises they don't have the capacity to make big scores but the do have the capacity to defend lower ones. And if that's the case, a slower outfield will give them a better chance to do just that.

I think its great they are looking at having the best advantage to win the game, i just think his misread this one.

Blyth have a 3-2 record at home this year including beating the best side in the comp there only 2 weeks ago.

This could all bite me on the arse but i reckon playing their first final at home in 50 years with the whole town behind them is there best chance of knocking us off. We arent renowned for our fielding and we have had some shockers on Blyth oval in recent times. Reckon their fielding advantage is brought back to the pack on the slower/more even oval. They are seriously quick in the field, we are nearly all over 30, slow outfield definitely suits our fielding.

The last time they beat us was at their ground 3 seasons ago on a past players day where they had a massive turnout and real buzz about the place.
whufc
Coach

Postby OnSong » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:49 am

I'm not saying he's right or wrong. Only time will tell. I'm saying I like the fact he's backing his judgment in and thinking outside the square.
OnSong
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:03 am

OnSong wrote:I'm not saying he's right or wrong. Only time will tell. I'm saying I like the fact he's backing his judgment in and thinking outside the square.

I do agree with that part of it.

I think its a great to see a strong Blyth especially with the investment they have made in their facilities.

Lets just hope they stick around as i know Ben has talked about moving comps on a couple of occasions.
whufc
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:07 am

whufc wrote:

Fits more in and better TV coverage.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby whufc » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:22 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:

Fits more in and better TV coverage.

:D

The TV angles at Balak certainly do my waistline favors!
whufc
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:56 am

whufc wrote:

Balaklava must've been designed by Jews, deep pockets.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:39 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:

Balaklava must've been designed by Jews, deep pockets.

:D :D :D :D

Well maybe i will go play cricket in the local jewish league because it certainly helps spinners having batsmen hit to deep cow corners. :D
whufc
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:25 pm

whufc wrote: :D :D :D :D

Well maybe i will go play cricket in the local jewish league because it certainly helps spinners having batsmen hit to deep cow corners. :D

Umpiring footy there is challenging, you think you're in a good position for the next play and then two possessions later you're 80 metres away and the ball is still in the defensive 50.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby whufc » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:17 pm

Ben Pratt is a genius!!
whufc
Coach

Postby Spargo » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:49 pm

whufc wrote:Ben Pratt is a genius!!

In to the Granny???
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5460 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Mythical Creature » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:01 pm

Just got home from having tea at sevenhill. Looked like the sea horses were in full comiserations mode. Left when some old guy started making a speech about God knows what on top of a wine barrel. :lol:
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby whufc » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:17 pm

Mythical Creature wrote:Just got home from having tea at sevenhill. Looked like the sea horses were in full comiserations mode. Left when some old guy started making a speech about God knows what on top of a wine barrel. :lol:

Wasn’t there had to father but I’m sure they would have been sinking a few.

We batted like shit today, 3-4 disgraceful dismissals

Blyth deserves the win and personally I hope they go all the way

Shout out to the Clare umpires who did a great job today, as good as any paid umpires I’ve ever had before.
whufc
Coach

Postby OnSong » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:39 pm

Mythical Creature wrote:Just got home from having tea at sevenhill. Looked like the sea horses were in full comiserations mode. Left when some old guy started making a speech about God knows what on top of a wine barrel. :lol:

Few better places for a pub meal in SA
OnSong
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps