Stanley Cricket Association

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Stanley Cricket Association

Postby Hazbeen » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:05 pm

Long Plains have only had an A grade side, no B's and no colts, have struggled to make a impact in the last couple of years.
Hazbeen
Veteran

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 122 times
Grassroots Team: Hummocks-Watchman

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:04 pm

Hazbeen wrote:Long Plains have only had an A grade side, no B's and no colts, have struggled to make a impact in the last couple of years.

At this stage they have nominated an A3 and u 12 div 3 team. They are hopeful if they get let in that they will get another senior team up. They seem to think being closer to adelaide is going to increase their numbers. Bit easier to get players to play away games in the Barossa rather Clare and further north
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby whufc » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:17 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
Hazbeen wrote:Long Plains have only had an A grade side, no B's and no colts, have struggled to make a impact in the last couple of years.

At this stage they have nominated an A3 and u 12 div 3 team. They are hopeful if they get let in that they will get another senior team up. They seem to think being closer to adelaide is going to increase their numbers. Bit easier to get players to play away games in the Barossa rather Clare and further north

Geez they would need a fair few players more to make two sides. They struggled all last year to field a full side and that even included a couple of 12-13 years olds each week

A tad of a stretch imo to say the move will pick them up the 13-15 players extra their going to need to regularly field two sides. Admittedly I’m not real close to their situation.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5586 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Mythical Creature » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:29 pm

They would be very close to having an under 10 side too. Have had around 30 milo cricketers each of the last 2 years.
I think the decision moving forward is more about where are the majority of junior players would most likely play as that is the only way the club can survive long term.
Plus i believe stanley are pressuring them to play b grade but long plains beleive there will likely only be 4 teams so not much future there.
Basically the club has gone backwards since moving to stanley so something has to change going forward.
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby whufc » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:02 pm

The B grade comp is in serious danger.

I’m not sure what’s the best solution in the regard. TBH Long Plains were much a b grade side last night and if it wasn’t for Sammy they would have been an average b grade side so I can see why the league may want them there.

I would also think it’s because the league would want to keep the b grade comp going with Long Plains being the 4th b grade side

I would also think if Long Plains join the Barossa league that would be starting in one of the lower divisions for sure. Especially considering the Barossa league is a fair bit stronger imo
whufc
Coach

Postby Hazbeen » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:23 pm

Last year the A2's comp was only Sevenhill, Lower jorth, Watervale and Auburn as seperate teams but merged in A grade. Who has dropped out of they wanted Longies as the 4th team? Not Lower North. Have they other two become the Rebels in A2 as well?

Hard to fathom that Clare can't put in a 2nds team when only a decade ago they were 2 seperate clubs with both A and B grades each.
Last edited by Hazbeen on Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hazbeen
Veteran

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:23 pm

whufc wrote:The B grade comp is in serious danger.

I’m not sure what’s the best solution in the regard. TBH Long Plains were much a b grade side last night and if it wasn’t for Sammy they would have been an average b grade side so I can see why the league may want them there.

I would also think it’s because the league would want to keep the b grade comp going with Long Plains being the 4th b grade side

I would also think if Long Plains join the Barossa league that would be starting in one of the lower divisions for sure. Especially considering the Barossa league is a fair bit stronger imo

As Daisy said, they will be starting off in A3 which is the lowest grade of 2 day cricket in the comp. If they get another side up It would be in the 1 day comp
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Tony Clifton » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:10 pm

Mythical Creature wrote:They would be very close to having an under 10 side too. Have had around 30 milo cricketers each of the last 2 years.
I think the decision moving forward is more about where are the majority of junior players would most likely play as that is the only way the club can survive long term.
Plus i believe stanley are pressuring them to play b grade but long plains beleive there will likely only be 4 teams so not much future there.
Basically the club has gone backwards since moving to stanley so something has to change going forward.

Where did they play before they were in the Stanley competition?
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:24 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:
Mythical Creature wrote:They would be very close to having an under 10 side too. Have had around 30 milo cricketers each of the last 2 years.

There was an Adelaide Plains comp. At the end i think it was Mallala, Hamley Bridge, Long Plains and Dublin. Hamley Bridge folded and the comp disbanded. Mallala came to the B&L and havent looked back starting in A4 and last year reaching A1 and staying there. Dublin chose PDCA over B&L and have also improved their club. Long Plains went to Stanley and im only going by what others have said but have gone backwards. Hamley Bridge reformed 2 years ago and now have a one day and two day team in the B&L so have also improved.
I think for these clubs playing in the B&L makes it easier for them to get lads back that have moved to town for uni/work.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby whufc » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:49 am

Hazbeen wrote:Last year the A2's comp was only Sevenhill, Lower jorth, Watervale and Auburn as seperate teams but merged in A grade. Who has dropped out of they wanted Longies as the 4th team? Not Lower North. Have they other two become the Rebels in A2 as well?

Hard to fathom that Clare can't put in a 2nds team when only a decade ago they were 2 seperate clubs with both A and B grades each.

Sorry I cant count, was there not one of those sides that continued to forfeit because it felt like the Sevenhill B Grade had a bye every second week.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:56 am

daysofourlives wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:

There was an Adelaide Plains comp. At the end i think it was Mallala, Hamley Bridge, Long Plains and Dublin. Hamley Bridge folded and the comp disbanded. Mallala came to the B&L and havent looked back starting in A4 and last year reaching A1 and staying there. Dublin chose PDCA over B&L and have also improved their club. Long Plains went to Stanley and im only going by what others have said but have gone backwards. Hamley Bridge reformed 2 years ago and now have a one day and two day team in the B&L so have also improved.
I think for these clubs playing in the B&L makes it easier for them to get lads back that have moved to town for uni/work.

I can understand why they would want to move. I think getting an extra 13-15 cricketers is a massive task for any club in this day and age.

I will be very interested to see how it pans out. If Long Plains don't pick up the extra cricketers they think they will it could end in disaster. The team they fielded last year imo would get wacked outright most games against some of the teams on paper I see that in that div3(?) B&L comp. If Sam was to get injured and they field the same side as last year I could see them getting bowled out for under 50 regularly and getting hit for 400 plus regularly. I'm not sure their players have the dedication to stick that out each week in a 2 day comp.

If Sam McArdle gets injured or has to move for work they would be in serious risk of completing folding imo, he literally did everything at the club from mowing the lawn before the game, opening and serving in their canteen, setting up the pitch, captaining the side, all their online administration and was their AGM representative from what I understand (could be wrong on that one though)

I really hope it works for them though because they were a top bunch of lads, they have an amazing ground to play at and from what I understand have a long history of cricket. Would never like to see a country club fold.
whufc
Coach

Postby Hazbeen » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:37 am

whufc wrote:
Hazbeen wrote:Last year the A2's comp was only Sevenhill, Lower jorth, Watervale and Auburn as seperate teams but merged in A grade. Who has dropped out of they wanted Longies as the 4th team? Not Lower North. Have they other two become the Rebels in A2 as well?

Sorry I cant count, was there not one of those sides that continued to forfeit because it felt like the Sevenhill B Grade had a bye every second week.

Clare pulled out on the 2nd round so the draw had already been done for the season and then Auburn forfeited a few games as well.
Hazbeen
Veteran

Postby Angler » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:06 am

Any news from the association AGM held last night?
Angler

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 13 times

Postby OnSong » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:25 am

Angler wrote:Any news from the association AGM held last night?

Long Plains into BLCA A3 + an under 12 side.
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby Angler » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:48 pm

Hearing on the grapevine that Auburn/Mintaro are putting in their own A Grade and no B Grade for the upcoming season
Angler

Postby OnSong » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:25 pm

Angler wrote:Hearing on the grapevine that Auburn/Mintaro are putting in their own A Grade and no B Grade for the upcoming season

Yep, The Rebels experiment didn't last long
OnSong
Coach

Postby happyhawk » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:02 pm

Where does that leave the b grade comp?
happyhawk
Rookie

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Grassroots Team: RSMU

Postby whufc » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:46 pm

happyhawk wrote:Where does that leave the b grade comp?

Good question

Will Watervale run their own b grade side
whufc
Coach

Postby OnSong » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:14 pm

whufc wrote:
happyhawk wrote:Where does that leave the b grade comp?

Good question

Will Watervale run their own b grade side

I think the B grade looks like being 4 teams but there is the discussion of playing shortened matches, 35 or 30 overs a side...
OnSong
Coach

Postby Angler » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:46 pm

Makes sense. I think 45 overs per side is too many when you start at 1.00pm
Angler

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps