Stanley Cricket Association

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Stanley Cricket Association

Postby whufc » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:21 pm

Armchair expert wrote:All hard wickets out there anyway?

Yeah but it’s always nicer to win a flag on your own deck, especially when you’ve earnt the right to.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby whufc » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:58 pm

Drunk!!!
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:30 pm

Well it’s been a big 3 days!!

Was an amazing feeling seeing so much joy, tears , emotion on players and supporters because of what we achieved.

At the end of last year we lost 4 players who were in our best 11 comfortably and relied on b grade players to step up. We got smashed by Clare in round 3 and it looked like another 3-4 place year for the seahorses.

It was about halfway through the year where we became happy playing ‘seahorse cricket’. We weren’t going to skittle teams for under 100, we didn’t have the quick bowlers to rattle teams. Instead what we had was 5-6 consistent bowlers, we strangled teams with what would be considered defensive fields but we never let teams score freely. If you were going to beat us you needed to be patient. (Not the most common trait of an amateur cricketer)

We always had class in our batting and if we gave our batters a chance we would come out on top more often than not! We all accepted our roll in the side, mine changed from being a bowler looking to attack and get wickets to one who contained and got us through the 10-30 overs wit outs letting teams excellerate.

We weren’t the most talented team but in the end we became the smartest team. To beat a team of Lower Norths quality (there top 3 bats and Brown are as good as any amateur cricketers getting around) is a credit to the team. Each time we played Lower North we learnt and made sure we implemented. Yes we got lucky playing the game at our ground, yes we got lucky they were underdone with 1 match in 3 weeks but the work behind the scenes proved to me this was no fluke.

I’ve been lucky enough to win a few cricket premierships but I must say it’s been one of my most enjoyable, it required us to use wit against sides rather than blast them away or just on natural talent.

Up the seahorses!! It’s been a pleasure.
whufc
Coach

Postby Angler » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:35 pm

Well said whufc and congrats to the Sevenhill cricket club!

How many years since the last A Grade flag for the Seahorses?
Angler

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 13 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:49 pm

whufc wrote:Well it’s been a big 3 days!!

Was an amazing feeling seeing so much joy, tears , emotion on players and supporters because of what we achieved.

At the end of last year we lost 4 players who were in our best 11 comfortably and relied on b grade players to step up. We got smashed by Clare in round 3 and it looked like another 3-4 place year for the seahorses.

It was about halfway through the year where we became happy playing ‘seahorse cricket’. We weren’t going to skittle teams for under 100, we didn’t have the quick bowlers to rattle teams. Instead what we had was 5-6 consistent bowlers, we strangled teams with what would be considered defensive fields but we never let teams score freely. If you were going to beat us you needed to be patient. (Not the most common trait of an amateur cricketer)

We always had class in our batting and if we gave our batters a chance we would come out on top more often than not! We all accepted our roll in the side, mine changed from being a bowler looking to attack and get wickets to one who contained and got us through the 10-30 overs wit outs letting teams excellerate.

We weren’t the most talented team but in the end we became the smartest team. To beat a team of Lower Norths quality (there top 3 bats and Brown are as good as any amateur cricketers getting around) is a credit to the team. Each time we played Lower North we learnt and made sure we implemented. Yes we got lucky playing the game at our ground, yes we got lucky they were underdone with 1 match in 3 weeks but the work behind the scenes proved to me this was no fluke.

I’ve been lucky enough to win a few cricket premierships but I must say it’s been one of my most enjoyable, it required us to use wit against sides rather than blast them away or just on natural talent.

Up the seahorses!! It’s been a pleasure.

Well done whuffer, just one question though.........................how the f*** can you be seahorses when you're like 70+ kms from the nearest bit of sea?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby whufc » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:57 pm

Story goes when the oval surface was relayed 8??? Years ago, that there was seahorse fossils found during the digging

Apparently it made the news etc, at that point they didn’t have a ‘nickname’
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:02 pm

Angler wrote:Well said whufc and congrats to the Sevenhill cricket club!

From what I’m lead to believe it was 20 years!
whufc
Coach

Postby OnSong » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:54 pm

Angler wrote:Well said whufc and congrats to the Sevenhill cricket club!

17. Huge effort
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby whufc » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:29 am

Any rumours, player movements, etc

Sevenhill to suit up with almost an identical side to last years premiership side, though are expecting greater availability from Haydn Daley.

Blyth are talking up a big game, saying they have got some decent recruits back. They improved in the second half of last year with a couple of new players so it wouldn't surprise me if they are the 'big improvers'

Supposedly JT from Lower North will not be playing there next season. Massive out from them. Almost guaranteed his 3/4 every week bowling at the death of an innings.

Who knows what we will get from Clare, their best is real good with the likes of Steddall, Falconer, Seymon, Barton but they always seem to drop a couple of unloseable games.

Brinkworth struggled for players last year but gave a lot of opportunities to talented youngsters who no doubt will improve from that experience. If they can get Isaac Moller back and bowling they will be a top 4 side again no doubt.

Not much noise coming from the likes of Watervale, Auburn, Mintaro.
whufc
Coach

Postby OnSong » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:58 am

whufc wrote:Any rumours, player movements, etc

Sevenhill to suit up with almost an identical side to last years premiership side, though are expecting greater availability from Haydn Daley.

Blyth are talking up a big game, saying they have got some decent recruits back. They improved in the second half of last year with a couple of new players so it wouldn't surprise me if they are the 'big improvers'

Supposedly JT from Lower North will not be playing there next season. Massive out from them. Almost guaranteed his 3/4 every week bowling at the death of an innings.

Who knows what we will get from Clare, their best is real good with the likes of Steddall, Falconer, Seymon, Barton but they always seem to drop a couple of unloseable games.

Brinkworth struggled for players last year but gave a lot of opportunities to talented youngsters who no doubt will improve from that experience. If they can get Isaac Moller back and bowling they will be a top 4 side again no doubt.

Yeah, Jordan Taylor confirmed out, playing for Mallala in the Barossa comp.
OnSong
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:50 am

OnSong wrote:
whufc wrote:Any rumours, player movements, etc

Yeah, Jordan Taylor confirmed out, playing for Mallala in the Barossa comp.

Massive loss for them. If they lose Jones who apparently is only ever a year to year proposition they will ultra reliant on their batting stocks. Unless they get back Froggy.
whufc
Coach

Postby OnSong » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:20 pm

Not sure what Foggy's plans are. I think they'll be right. Like the look of left-armer Jacob Battle. Think he'll be one to break into the seniors a fair bit this year.
OnSong
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:57 pm

OnSong wrote:Not sure what Foggy's plans are. I think they'll be right. Like the look of left-armer Jacob Battle. Think he'll be one to break into the seniors a fair bit this year.

They will definitely be around the mark no doubt at all. There batting is that strong that they are never actually out of a game regardless of what their bowlers do.

But if you take Jones and JT out of the teams that was around 40 wickets and probably close to 50% of their wickets if not more.
whufc
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:08 pm

whufc wrote:
OnSong wrote:Not sure what Foggy's plans are. I think they'll be right. Like the look of left-armer Jacob Battle. Think he'll be one to break into the seniors a fair bit this year.

They will definitely be around the mark no doubt at all. There batting is that strong that they are never actually out of a game regardless of what their bowlers do.

But if you take Jones and JT out of the teams that was around 40 wickets and probably close to 50% of their wickets if not more.

Which one is the one that's pretty sharp?
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Arry Gablett » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:07 pm

Andrew Mitchell a likely nclusion at the ERCCA
Arry Gablett
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 46 times

Postby whufc » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:50 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
whufc wrote:

Jonesey, could be wrong but ex NZ first class cricketer I heard
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:50 pm

Arry Gablett wrote:Andrew Mitchell a likely nclusion at the ERCCA

The who???
whufc
Coach

Postby OnSong » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:29 pm

whufc wrote:
Arry Gablett wrote:Andrew Mitchell a likely nclusion at the ERCCA

The who???

Eudunda Robertstown
OnSong
Coach

Postby OnSong » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:30 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
whufc wrote:

Jones
OnSong
Coach

Postby OnSong » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:31 pm

whufc wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:
whufc wrote:

Jonesey, could be wrong but ex NZ first class cricketer I heard

Played a bit of National U19s I think...He's late 30s now though. Body is done.
OnSong
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps