Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:26 am

Minimum Chips wrote:Agreed however I fear that the easiest option will be taken (i.e. the weaker clubs will get their way and these grades will be canned). Less work they have to do then. Then let's see what excuses come up next.

I'm not so convinced, they're a great money spinner for clubs with rego's etc.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby The Hound » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:38 am

Tony Clifton wrote:If some clubs are struggling to fill those grades, that means that there's too many clubs. Not too many grades.

Weaker clubs dragging the competition down.

Maybe they could do what they are doing with the women's comp and stipulate the criteria for being in the competition.
I.e must have a full suite of senior teams, juniors teams (however many are decided) and links to community clubs.

Agree with 16 W's going but must keep both 14's.

Also wondered how the promotion of plastic cricket 5 -10 years ago was going to impact into the future.
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby heater31 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:15 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Minimum Chips wrote:Agreed however I fear that the easiest option will be taken (i.e. the weaker clubs will get their way and these grades will be canned). Less work they have to do then. Then let's see what excuses come up next.

I'm not so convinced, they're a great money spinner for clubs with rego's etc.
Having served on a Premier Cricket club's board in the last 10 years I can assure it is not a huge profit in having these teams. Income stream yes....but with more teams equals greater expenses.

In fact fees were not designed to drive profit. They were to cover expenses and the profit was driven from the social side of the club with bar/kitchen sales.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:27 pm

heater31 wrote:Having served on a Premier Cricket club's board in the last 10 years I can assure it is not a huge profit in having these teams. Income stream yes....but with more teams equals greater expenses.

In fact fees were not designed to drive profit. They were to cover expenses and the profit was driven from the social side of the club with bar/kitchen sales.

You'd know more than I then on that side of things, I'm just going by the rego fees that I've seen for juniors, womens and seniors across a range of 4 clubs and it's quite pricey for the average Joe to have a hit, I was asked to play a couple of D or C Grade games last year but didn't want to be stuck with a big bill to play only a few games and miss out on watching my lad play.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Burras » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:46 pm

The Hound wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:If some clubs are struggling to fill those grades, that means that there's too many clubs. Not too many grades.

Maybe they could do what they are doing with the women's comp and stipulate the criteria for being in the competition.
I.e must have a full suite of senior teams, juniors teams (however many are decided) and links to community clubs.

Also wondered how the promotion of plastic cricket 5 -10 years ago was going to impact into the future.

Why?
Having 2 x U14's go up to 1 x U16 is only going to see more kids be 'cut' and potentially losing confidence/enjoyment which may equal to them being lost to cricket.
Burras

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 21 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:53 pm

Burras wrote:
The Hound wrote:

Why?
Having 2 x U14's go up to 1 x U16 is only going to see more kids be 'cut' and potentially losing confidence/enjoyment which may equal to them being lost to cricket.

Not as much if U16s is a combination of 14 and 15 year olds whereas U14s is a combination of 11, 12 and 13 year olds.

Plus by U16s you're starting to lose some of the better players to senior cricket and a few to college cricket. Thins out the numbers a bit.

Besides, everything should be 'pyramids' as that is what drives quality. A wide base funneling into a narrow top.

30 x Under 14s
The best of those progress to U16s
The best handful of those make it to seniors
The very best make it to 1st Grade

Those who drop off at any point scooped up by turf cricket.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:10 pm

Burras wrote:

Why?

The enthusiasm seems to wane when 14's go up, kids start choosing between footy and cricket and they get a bit of fluff and also realize there are beaches for hot days not far from public transport.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Burras » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:59 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:
Burras wrote:
The Hound wrote:

Why?

Not as much if U16s is a combination of 14 and 15 year olds whereas U14s is a combination of 11, 12 and 13 year olds.

Plus by U16s you're starting to lose some of the better players to senior cricket and a few to college cricket. Thins out the numbers a bit.

Besides, everything should be 'pyramids' as that is what drives quality. A wide base funneling into a narrow top.

30 x Under 14s
The best of those progress to U16s
The best handful of those make it to seniors
The very best make it to 1st Grade

Those who drop off at any point scooped up by turf cricket.

I like the pyramid concept. However, do we really think 11 year old kids fresh out of U10 cricket should be playing premier cricket? In my time coaching at PC level, I've felt that the U14 W comp has turned into a full season U12 competition which defeats the purpose imo.
Burras

Postby The Hound » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:27 pm

PT Adelaide AGM last night, do they have a new President? whisper was there may be a change.
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:33 pm

Not sure about president but coaching panel announced on their facebook page

This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Eagles2014 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:10 pm

As heard back in February on SA Footy (and dismissed by TTG people at the time), Zac Worden has left.

Not following Brazell and Schwarz to Uni though, going to Port Adelaide.

Also looks like Tim Oakley leaving also, and Page gone to Adelaide.

With couple of retirements, and quite a few blokes at the end of their careers, could be testing year for Weaves and the Bulls.

I know TTG people dispute this, but speaking to the younger guys that leave, they say they get treated pretty poorly by lots of the senior guys who all think they are going to lose their spot to the young talent coming thru. The number of talented kids who have left in last two years is building up, so where there is smoke, there is fire.

A victim of being so successful for so long no doubt, but did feel they needed to start mixing in some youth while the senior blokes were still there, as that's four or five ready made replacements now gone.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby Minimum Chips » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:30 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:Also looks like Tim Oakley leaving also, and Page gone to Adelaide.

Have you heard where Oakley might be going to?
Also, just had a look on SACA as they've named the initial U/19 squad which shows Worden as a PA player.
Minimum Chips
Under 18s

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Bute

Postby Eagles2014 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:15 pm

Minimum Chips wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:Also looks like Tim Oakley leaving also, and Page gone to Adelaide.

Also, just had a look on SACA as they've named the initial U/19 squad which shows Worden as a PA player.

Just saw that list - also shows Dylan Smith at Port (is he the leggie from Northerns ??)

Heard two rumours re Oakley, one was us at West Torrens, stronger rumour was Adelaide.

Firstly, not sure why he would leave TTG after having the best season of his career and getting a rookie deal with Redbacks, and secondly, why contemplate Adelaide who already have Valente, Pengelly x 2, Agar - sure they have Shaun Tait as coach now which would help him, but when Cam plays nobody else gets to bowl anyway as he bowls 20 overs in a row!!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Postby Minimum Chips » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:25 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:
Minimum Chips wrote:

Just saw that list - also shows Dylan Smith at Port (is he the leggie from Northerns ??)[/quote]

I think he is. If that's true, then Port Adelaide fast becoming the new Adelaide Uni of grade cricket!! Developing their "juniors" at other clubs. ;)
Minimum Chips
Under 18s

Postby Eagles2014 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:20 pm

Minimum Chips wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:
Minimum Chips wrote:

Just saw that list - also shows Dylan Smith at Port (is he the leggie from Northerns ??)

I think he is. If that's true, then Port Adelaide fast becoming the new Adelaide Uni of grade cricket!! Developing their "juniors" at other clubs. ;)[/quote]

I got attacked on here last summer by Port people for saying that, both Weeksy and Finnie were defensive about it. But well known that Weeksy approaches 15 to 20 players each year, normally guys played A Grade but not really cementing their spot, offers them the world at Port. Normally get a few each year that move. Hence their 1st Grade team has hardly any Port Juniors in it. That has been his strategy since being Head Coach, if that's the way he wants to go then that's up to him I suppose, good luck to him. Did think Worden should have had more opportunities last year at TTG, and when he sees mates playing 1st Grade at other clubs you can become downhearted pretty quickly!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Postby Catter4lyfe » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:30 pm

To be fair Eagles your previous comments around Weeksy approaching Kam to try and steal him were simply incorrect. Speaking to the lad who played at our club for the season he didnt even know who Weeksy was.
Catter4lyfe
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 6 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby North Eastern Nuffy » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:00 pm

Interesting view Eagles2014. I would strongly suggest that some of these kids that have been leaving have been 'directed/pushed' by overpowering parents to do so. This may be due to the fact they their children actually have to work hard to earn a First Grade spot and not just given to them like it might be at a less competitive club.

Sadly, Kids these days seem to want everything on a platter for them without being willing to actually 'do the yards' to earn a spot. From what I have seen, the TTG First grade has been a pretty stable team for a number of years and a pretty tough nut to crack. Of the 3 kids that have left, they have been exposed to A grade cricket of some sort within the past few seasons but were unable to hold down a regular position. Mum and dad probably not happy about this I suppose and seek opportunity elsewhere?

I can't recall too many situations where a change of club has been really successful for those that move? happy to be wrong though.

Whilst there has been some retirements and some of the other guys are aging, I'm sure they will continue to put a competitive side on the park each week.
North Eastern Nuffy
Mini-League

Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Andamooka

Postby Minimum Chips » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:23 pm

North Eastern Nuffy wrote:Interesting view Eagles2014. I would strongly suggest that some of these kids that have been leaving have been 'directed/pushed' by overpowering parents to do so. This may be due to the fact they their children actually have to work hard to earn a First Grade spot and not just given to them like it might be at a less competitive club.

Sadly, Kids these days seem to want everything on a platter for them without being willing to actually 'do the yards' to earn a spot. From what I have seen, the TTG First grade has been a pretty stable team for a number of years and a pretty tough nut to crack. Of the 3 kids that have left, they have been exposed to A grade cricket of some sort within the past few seasons but were unable to hold down a regular position. Mum and dad probably not happy about this I suppose and seek opportunity elsewhere?

I can't recall too many situations where a change of club has been really successful for those that move? happy to be wrong though.

Whilst there has been some retirements and some of the other guys are aging, I'm sure they will continue to put a competitive side on the park each week.

reckon TTG would still be a strong club. Even with a couple of those younger lads leaving and Page moving, there's always going to be an opportunity for another younger player or two to come in (Pannell?).

I know still a bit early, but any thoughts from anyone about likely contenders for next season ? Seems like Adelaide have recruited heavily? however doesn't always guarantee success - team needs to gel.
I see East Torrens have picked up Cormack and Dall (wonder why he got pushed out of Kensington - maybe because Hunt has gone there?). Suspect Kensington will be strong again. WT if their bowlers stay healthy although losing Smith would hurt. Don't know about Sturt - look to be still quite a young team and you never know what Uni will cough up. The Bays with Winter still there should go OK again.
Haven't heard too much else around the traps yet.
Minimum Chips
Under 18s

Postby North Eastern Nuffy » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:28 pm

Page leaving TTG is a very strange move. Apparently stated that he needed to play on a small oval and a flat wicket in order to have a 'big year' as it is his last one on a State contract. Doesn't make a huge amount of sense considering he came second in the Bradman Medal and made a truck load of runs the previous year. I wonder if it is a panic decision? Maybe needs to address some off field issues first before blaming facilities and taking the easy option.
North Eastern Nuffy
Mini-League

Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Andamooka

Postby Burras » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:31 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:As heard back in February on SA Footy (and dismissed by TTG people at the time), Zac Worden has left.

Not following Brazell and Schwarz to Uni though, going to Port Adelaide.

Also looks like Tim Oakley leaving also, and Page gone to Adelaide.

With couple of retirements, and quite a few blokes at the end of their careers, could be testing year for Weaves and the Bulls.

I know TTG people dispute this, but speaking to the younger guys that leave, they say they get treated pretty poorly by lots of the senior guys who all think they are going to lose their spot to the young talent coming thru. The number of talented kids who have left in last two years is building up, so where there is smoke, there is fire.

A victim of being so successful for so long no doubt, but did feel they needed to start mixing in some youth while the senior blokes were still there, as that's four or five ready made replacements now gone.

Would argue that as a player fresh out of U16's, Zac had a pretty fair go at TTG... Opened the batting in the 2's all year and was given an opportunity to play in the T20 Cup to develop his bowling.. I would have thought with Page leaving that he could have seen himself pushing for a batting spot in the 1's.

I tend to agree with NE Nuffy - I think too many 18 year old's have the expectation of coming into the 1st Grade and batting in the top 4 or taking the brand new ball. Biding your time and having success in the 2nd Grade is only going to give you the confidence to come into the 1st grade when the time is right and perform - changing clubs doesn't prove anything imo.
Burras

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps