Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:33 pm

heater31 wrote:
It's First Grade Cricket not an under 13 girls match!

Did Glenelg men's Third grade give Southern Districts another hit after rolling them for 14.....I doubt it.

I hope Port have spoken with SACA regarding their predicament and a solution can be found.

Not sure I can agree with you there, it's a 6 team competition and Port don't belong there in their current state, it's not good for the game, or the competition having such lop-sided results.

My daughter had to endure it last season although it wasn't to this magnitude, it will just turn the girls off playing and then there will be forfeits in the top grade, the opposition could help them a little, let them bat first at least and perhaps talk to them a bit to see them improve, without Amanda in the side I doubt that they would defeat any B Grade teams and that's where the problem lies.

If they go to B Grade, Amanda won't have a home club to play for as she won't be allowed to play B's, having her out there is their only hope of getting new players.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Trader » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:54 pm

Is it true that they only managed to take a wicket cause they ran out the non-striker while she was celebrating her team mate bringing up her hundred?

I must say, if that happened to my side I probably wouldn't be in the mood to retire and help the opposition out either.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:36 pm

Trader wrote:Is it true that they only managed to take a wicket cause they ran out the non-striker while she was celebrating her team mate bringing up her hundred?

I must say, if that happened to my side I probably wouldn't be in the mood to retire and help the opposition out either.

Hopefully that's true

Absolute gold!
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Tony Clifton » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:46 pm

Most clubs with women's teams have issues with numbers which is where a number of the problems come from.

You have elite players playing alongside non-elite players and kids in the same team.

If a club has 6-7 players of A Grade quality they can excel. Even with 3-4 they can get by. Those players do the bulk of the batting and also bowl.

That leaves 4-8 spots to fill. Kids, newbies, ring ins... rotate through these spots. They bat low and don't bowl. And on merit, they shouldn't. But this doesn't exactly keep them coming back. Clubs can't field teams that are short so they need these 'passengers' to make up a team. When a kid fill this role it becomes regressive for their cricket.

IMO women's cricket needs to take a leaf out of country cricket. There should be 'Colts' (or Fillys) cricket on Sunday morning. Under 16 or Under 15. Junior competition, no overagers. Then A and B Grade in the afternoon. Girls can double up and play in both but a young girl doesn't go a weekend without batting/bowling - because they have their junior game.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:49 am

Trader wrote:Is it true that they only managed to take a wicket cause they ran out the non-striker while she was celebrating her team mate bringing up her hundred?

It was the 2nd ton of the innings, and prior to the first drinks break, not sure of the exact scenario but Saville (who plays for SA) apparently was in the wrong and should've waited for the ball to be dead.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:59 am

Tony Clifton wrote:Most clubs with women's teams have issues with numbers which is where a number of the problems come from.

You have elite players playing alongside non-elite players and kids in the same team.

If a club has 6-7 players of A Grade quality they can excel. Even with 3-4 they can get by. Those players do the bulk of the batting and also bowl.

That leaves 4-8 spots to fill. Kids, newbies, ring ins... rotate through these spots. They bat low and don't bowl. And on merit, they shouldn't. But this doesn't exactly keep them coming back. Clubs can't field teams that are short so they need these 'passengers' to make up a team. When a kid fill this role it becomes regressive for their cricket.

IMO women's cricket needs to take a leaf out of country cricket. There should be 'Colts' (or Fillys) cricket on Sunday morning. Under 16 or Under 15. Junior competition, no overagers. Then A and B Grade in the afternoon. Girls can double up and play in both but a young girl doesn't go a weekend without batting/bowling - because they have their junior game.

Up until last season there hadn't been a problem with the women's district comp, success ebbed and flowed between 5 of the 6 A grade teams and the B Grade comp was relatively even too, you'd get the odd thumping, Uni and the Jets had two B Grade sides although Uni didn't have a team in the A's.

Community cricket is usually based around the top 3 or 4 players from each club but not at the higher level, although the trend is changing a little at the weaker clubs.

Looking at the Port team from 24 months ago when they played the Jets, there is not one player from that team that played Sunday, infact there is only 1 player in there that played B's at the same time, and she's about 14 now.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:06 am

heater31 wrote:It's First Grade Cricket not an under 13 girls match!.

First grade Women's cricket, not Men's - still a developing sport/demographic.. no good can come from that sort of "bullying" - for the team, the players, the sport or the competition. :roll:

Hell they could've even just declared at 300 and it would've been more than enough and saved the opposition a bit of embarrassment.

As long as ND get their 5min in the light though while they struggle to fill sides in their Men's I guess it's all good... :roll:
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3999 times

Postby The Hound » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:56 am

IMO for the development of Women's cricket in SA and while the talent pool is thin, they need to not focus on the funding you get for increasing female participation but create a Redbacks League for the women's comp, 4 metro teams where the best/better A grade players are playing against each other on a weekly basis and then a B grade comp underneath.

The players can still be aligned and have a connection to a PC club and train with them before representing the RL team. This will minimise the movement of better players from a weaker club to a stronger club and therefore giving developing players something to strive for rather than them walking away from the game.
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:02 pm

The Hound wrote:IMO for the development of Women's cricket in SA and while the talent pool is thin, they need to not focus on the funding you get for increasing female participation but create a Redbacks League for the women's comp, 4 metro teams where the best/better A grade players are playing against each other on a weekly basis and then a B grade comp underneath.

The players can still be aligned and have a connection to a PC club and train with them before representing the RL team. This will minimise the movement of better players from a weaker club to a stronger club and therefore giving developing players something to strive for rather than them walking away from the game.

The Scorpions and women's Strikers aren't struggling, it's poor management that has caused Port's woes, it's by no means the SACA's fault, it's always going to be tough for Southern Districts too given their location.

Two seasons ago it was a relatively even comp.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Hound » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:49 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
The Hound wrote:IMO for the development of Women's cricket in SA and while the talent pool is thin, they need to not focus on the funding you get for increasing female participation but create a Redbacks League for the women's comp, 4 metro teams where the best/better A grade players are playing against each other on a weekly basis and then a B grade comp underneath.

The Scorpions and women's Strikers aren't struggling, it's poor management that has caused Port's woes, it's by no means the SACA's fault, it's always going to be tough for Southern Districts too given their location.

Two seasons ago it was a relatively even comp.

They have a pretty good country recruiting zone on there door step if they wanted to use it. Hallett Cove to Cape Jarvis, only have to travel up to 1 hour to do some promotion/recruiting.
The Hound
Reserves

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:01 pm

The Hound wrote:
They have a pretty good country recruiting zone on there door step if they wanted to use it. Hallett Cove to Cape Jarvis, only have to travel up to 1 hour to do some promotion/recruiting.

Trouble is I'd assume that the girls don't wanna travel for the away games, A Grade isn't that bad except for Northern District, B Grade comp is plenty of travel.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Hound » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:18 am

Could be a lot card games played this weekend. Will be interesting to see how many curators get a pitch up!
You would assume some coastal ones may be doubtful.
Anybody know how they would work out points if some 4th Grade games get up and others are cancelled.
The Hound
Reserves

Postby Trader » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:34 am

29 degrees and windy tomorrow. Should be able to get decks up, just might be a late afternoon for the groundsmen.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:51 am

Trader wrote:29 degrees and windy tomorrow. Should be able to get decks up, just might be a late afternoon for the groundsmen.

Bad luck for any council prepared decks!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Eagles2014 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:36 pm

The Hound wrote:Could be a lot card games played this weekend. Will be interesting to see how many curators get a pitch up!
You would assume some coastal ones may be doubtful.
Anybody know how they would work out points if some 4th Grade games get up and others are cancelled.

Be staggered if lost any play on Saturday with weather predictions tomorrow.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 526 times

Postby The Hound » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:39 pm

Trader wrote:29 degrees and windy tomorrow. Should be able to get decks up, just might be a late afternoon for the groundsmen.

Must have updated the weather after this morning :lol:
The Hound
Reserves

Postby Tony Clifton » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:50 am

Another big patch of rain on its way. Interesting afternoon.

I'm sure curators would want to leave squares uncovered as there's already so much moisture underneath them.

Might be a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:07 am

Tony Clifton wrote:Another big patch of rain on its way. Interesting afternoon.

I'm sure curators would want to leave squares uncovered as there's already so much moisture underneath them.

Oh yeah, there's many pretty colours in that lot, could pass reasonably rapidly or could swing with a southerly and stick around for a while.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:30 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:Another big patch of rain on its way. Interesting afternoon.

yeah, ive pretty much got my surface dry and hard so ive leaned towards putting the covers on, get them off early in the morning and hope its ok by 1pm, I could handle 1 or 2 ml without the covers but if we got 5m id be buggered
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Homer J » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:15 pm

I see Cooper Thompson is back to the Jets after playing the first 2 rounds at Woodville.
What happened there?
Homer J
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 43 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps