Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby bowl100 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:21 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:
Had back issues, also been reported in past for being a chucker, action looks a bit suspect.

Spending big to get off the bottom, could put the money towards junior development, but each to their own I suppose.

Can I ask how you put money towards junior development?

I think making your club appealing to parents would be the key, I've been asked to take my kids out there this season, my son was invited out there last season but the coach's philosophy and game day structure was less than appealing, another parent thought the same thing so we both decided against it, we were right in how we thought it would pan out after checking the stats each week.

Money can go into coaching/ coaching programs, junior equipment, academies/ pathway programs within the club. 20k goes a long way
bowl100
Mini-League

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Postby Eagles2014 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:35 pm

bowl100 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:
Had back issues, also been reported in past for being a chucker, action looks a bit suspect.

Spending big to get off the bottom, could put the money towards junior development, but each to their own I suppose.

I think making your club appealing to parents would be the key, I've been asked to take my kids out there this season, my son was invited out there last season but the coach's philosophy and game day structure was less than appealing, another parent thought the same thing so we both decided against it, we were right in how we thought it would pan out after checking the stats each week.

Money can go into coaching/ coaching programs, junior equipment, academies/ pathway programs within the club. 20k goes a long way

Agree totally with this bowl100, that's what I was getting at.

Just think spending big money on one or two players does nothing for team morale, especially if they don't perform. Might give them bit of instant success, but in the long run does not help the Club. They have been talking about doing up their ordinary training facilities out the back of Prospect Oval for years, but still sub standard apparently, this money be better used there to help the whole club, not just fill the pockets of two blokes.

Look at the successful Clubs over many years in TTG and Kensington, etc who don't pay players and have strong junior teams, that is a much better recipe for sustained success. I know WT went down this track over last seven years and won the Triple Premiership with all local junior players and not paying any player a cent!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:06 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:
bowl100 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:

Agree totally with this bowl100, that's what I was getting at.

Just think spending big money on one or two players does nothing for team morale, especially if they don't perform. Might give them bit of instant success, but in the long run does not help the Club. They have been talking about doing up their ordinary training facilities out the back of Prospect Oval for years, but still sub standard apparently, this money be better used there to help the whole club, not just fill the pockets of two blokes.

Look at the successful Clubs over many years in TTG and Kensington, etc who don't pay players and have strong junior teams, that is a much better recipe for sustained success. I know WT went down this track over last seven years and won the Triple Premiership with all local junior players and not paying any player a cent!

Thanks guys, I wasn't being a smart arse, I was just wondering what was meant, I would've thought district clubs would have sufficient equipment and facilities.

Good coaches are the key to development IMO, facilities/equipment can't improve technique or catching ability (besides bowling machines to work on weaknesses), cricket is 90% above the shoulders and having great mentors defines the player.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:14 pm

Tough to get good coaches for junior teams. Senior cricket on Saturday soaks up a lot of the best people.

Often left to parents to run things which can be a mixed bag. Some are fantastic but it must be difficult coaching your own son, a team with your son's friends/school mates etc.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:57 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:Tough to get good coaches for junior teams. Senior cricket on Saturday soaks up a lot of the best people.

Often left to parents to run things which can be a mixed bag. Some are fantastic but it must be difficult coaching your own son, a team with your son's friends/school mates etc.

Yep, I refuse to do it any more, I'll score, umpire, set up the ground up, help at trainings or do one on one's but I have no intention of coaching my son again, I didn't mind it when the rules were set in place as far as batting & bowling orders, I'd sooner let other blokes make the decisions on game days.

I have found it weird but not unusual for senior players to coach teams but then play their own game Saturday afternoons and not be there to watch the team they coach, it seems to be the trend and seems to work.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby the smokey » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:13 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:Tough to get good coaches for junior teams. Senior cricket on Saturday soaks up a lot of the best people.

this is often the hardest thing to implement and control. I know over the years Junior programs have been at there best when a non parent is the figure head/in control and then they have assistants and game day managers (often parents) to help out game day. But the decisions/selections etc are made by the junior coach.
Yes it can be had to find someone but definitely is worth looking to get that independent person to be the junior coach and control selections etc.
the smokey
Rookie

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:50 pm

the smokey wrote:this is often the hardest thing to implement and control. I know over the years Junior programs have been at there best when a non parent is the figure head/in control and then they have assistants and game day managers (often parents) to help out game day. But the decisions/selections etc are made by the junior coach.
Yes it can be had to find someone but definitely is worth looking to get that independent person to be the junior coach and control selections etc.

Totally.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby heater31 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:51 pm

the smokey wrote:

this is often the hardest thing to implement and control. I know over the years Junior programs have been at there best when a non parent is the figure head/in control and then they have assistants and game day managers (often parents) to help out game day. But the decisions/selections etc are made by the junior coach.
Hopefully Cricket follow Footy's lead in regards to coaching. Level 1 has been renamed and available online, no excuse for parents not to hold this coaching level. Will give them skills on the basics and in turn assist the head coach in encouraging talent.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby The Hound » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:28 am

Northern's signed a current county All rounder for part of the season
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby Brodlach » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:57 pm

Just came across this...

“West Torrens Cricket Club would like to welcome Martin Andersson from Middlesex Cricket Club to our club for season 2018/19.Martin turned 22 this week and has signed a 2 year contract with Middlesex”
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby The Hound » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:07 am

Brodlach wrote:Just came across this...

“West Torrens Cricket Club would like to welcome Martin Andersson from Middlesex Cricket Club to our club for season 2018/19.Martin turned 22 this week and has signed a 2 year contract with Middlesex”

And Northern's comes from Middlesex as well.
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby the smokey » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:24 pm

With less than a month to go till the season lets see some predictions for the coming year:

"Just my opinions from a far" interested to get others thoughts!

TTG - will continue to be strong in all formats - opening the year with 5 one day games could play into there hands due to there outstanding white ball performances over the last decade. Expect to see them make the 4 and challenge for another flag to keep the dynasty rolling for another year.

Sturt - Will be strong again no doubt losing the leggie to Victoria will hurt but they will be able to fill this void - expect strong performances from there group once again

Adelaide Uni - have them falling out of the 4 this year - they have recruited Brazell from TTG and another young lad as well. are they going to be prepared to ride the highs and lows to go along with playing young kids at the A grade level - finishing middle of the table which with the $$ and scholarships spent will be a failed year

Glenleg - Don't know too much about the off season happenings at Glenelg - expect them to be strong as always pushing for finals.

Woodville - Losing Turley to prospect and they will miss McInernay once the sheild season starts - Will need to start well or it could be a long year at pecker land

Adelaide - the forum has lit up with rumored player disturbances and some of these may or may not be true but I will have them finishing in the bottom half.

East Torrens - really dont know how they are going to fare- they will compete hard as they always do and not take a backward step and will finish middle to table - if they can spring an upset or two along the way could scrape into the 4.

Kensington - the real surprise last year was how poorly they started the year - with coaching role changes it will be interesting to see if they can click early - I have them playing finals at this stage.

Port Adelaide - have them finishing the same as last year 8-9 but the white ball cricket to open the year could help them and like a lot make or break the season.

WT - after winning the 3 peat in 16/17 - there were some backward steps taken performance wise last year - middle of the table once again but could be helped with the white ball cricket early.

Southern's - my tip for the wooden spoon - they one 4 games last year think it will be less this year - a long hard hot summer for the boys from the South

Northern's - Spending some cash to improve - they might win 4-6 games but wont be playing meaningful cricket come Feb & march -

Prospect - $$$ $$$ $$$ obviously the coffers are full or about to be empty at pirate land with internal recruits from other clubs - they see this obviously as more important than spending money throughout the whole club - Will be interesting - With the $$ there will be improvement expected but i cant see them improving enough to play finals cricket.
the smokey
Rookie

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:59 pm

Good summary Smokey.

Reckon Sturt may struggle a bit early as Alex Gregory gone to Victoria as well, their best pace bowler and batter, to go with losing their best spinner and leading wicket taker in the comp last year. Going to rely on their young players to continue to improve as they did last season.

Make or break for teams in first five games with the one day games doubling up in the Two day comp, don't want to be playing catch up in second half of season!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby Port Pirie Power » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:32 pm

James Harris from Middlesex is the county player signed up for the Jets this season. Has played England A and looks to be a decent cricketer, took 7fa in an innings last week.
Port Pirie Power
Rookie

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 11 times

Postby Aeropti » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:31 am

the smokey wrote:With less than a month to go till the season lets see some predictions for the coming year:

"Just my opinions from a far" interested to get others thoughts!

TTG - will continue to be strong in all formats - opening the year with 5 one day games could play into there hands due to there outstanding white ball performances over the last decade. Expect to see them make the 4 and challenge for another flag to keep the dynasty rolling for another year.

Sturt - Will be strong again no doubt losing the leggie to Victoria will hurt but they will be able to fill this void - expect strong performances from there group once again

Adelaide Uni - have them falling out of the 4 this year - they have recruited Brazell from TTG and another young lad as well. are they going to be prepared to ride the highs and lows to go along with playing young kids at the A grade level - finishing middle of the table which with the $$ and scholarships spent will be a failed year

Glenleg - Don't know too much about the off season happenings at Glenelg - expect them to be strong as always pushing for finals.

Woodville - Losing Turley to prospect and they will miss McInernay once the sheild season starts - Will need to start well or it could be a long year at pecker land

Adelaide - the forum has lit up with rumored player disturbances and some of these may or may not be true but I will have them finishing in the bottom half.

East Torrens - really dont know how they are going to fare- they will compete hard as they always do and not take a backward step and will finish middle to table - if they can spring an upset or two along the way could scrape into the 4.

Kensington - the real surprise last year was how poorly they started the year - with coaching role changes it will be interesting to see if they can click early - I have them playing finals at this stage.

Port Adelaide - have them finishing the same as last year 8-9 but the white ball cricket to open the year could help them and like a lot make or break the season.

WT - after winning the 3 peat in 16/17 - there were some backward steps taken performance wise last year - middle of the table once again but could be helped with the white ball cricket early.

Southern's - my tip for the wooden spoon - they one 4 games last year think it will be less this year - a long hard hot summer for the boys from the South

Northern's - Spending some cash to improve - they might win 4-6 games but wont be playing meaningful cricket come Feb & march -

Prospect - $$$ $$$ $$$ obviously the coffers are full or about to be empty at pirate land with internal recruits from other clubs - they see this obviously as more important than spending money throughout the whole club - Will be interesting - With the $$ there will be improvement expected but i cant see them improving enough to play finals cricket.

Good post. Think you have overrated Sturt if they have lost Gregory and O'Connell - thats 80 odd wickets gone from last year. Adelaide and prospect underrated. Adelaide, for the talk of player discontent seems to have amounted to losing Reardon and added a Ryder medalist as far as I can tell.

I expect Prospect's ins to result in a decent improvement too. Bowlers win cricket matches and they will have a former test cricketer and a top 3 bowler in the comp over the last few years opening their bowling.
Aeropti

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby Gosaints » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:13 pm

Port Pirie Power wrote:James Harris from Middlesex is the county player signed up for the Jets this season. Has played England A and looks to be a decent cricketer, took 7fa in an innings last week.

heard 2 county poms were coming at 20 large.
Gosaints
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Glenunga

Postby woodvillewarrior » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:19 pm

Loaded questions....

Who wins the club championship if:

Team A
1st Grade wins 9 loses 3
2nd Grade wins 9 loses 3
3rd Grade wins 8 loses 4
4th Grade wins 15 loses 2

Team B
1st Grade wins 9 loses 3
2nd Grade wins 9 loses 3
3rd Grade wins 8 loses 4
4th Grade wins 16 loses 1

?
woodvillewarrior
Mini-League

Been liked: 6 times

Postby Trader » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:41 am

assuming no issues with outrights, bonus points, different number of games played, etc. I'd go with Team B
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby The Angry Bull » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:58 am

woodvillewarrior wrote:Loaded questions....

Who wins the club championship if:

Team A
1st Grade wins 9 loses 3
2nd Grade wins 9 loses 3
3rd Grade wins 8 loses 4
4th Grade wins 15 loses 2

Team B
1st Grade wins 9 loses 3
2nd Grade wins 9 loses 3
3rd Grade wins 8 loses 4

?

i believe this occurred, to some degree in 08/09 when TTG won the club championship. Pipped them by one win overall across the grades due to their D's having a pretty poor year. Bruce Jamieson calling the Salisbury clubrooms all afternoon trying to work out the final results of the ND games to see if we snuck home.
The Angry Bull
Under 16s

Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Central Augusta

Postby woodvillewarrior » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:38 pm

well they were unexpected answers.
I expected a draw!

Team A (9x20) + (9x20) + (8x15) + (15*15) = 705 pts
Team B (9x20) + (9x20) + (9x15) + (14*15) = 705 pts
So it would be a draw

This season would see:
Team A on (9x20) + (9x20) + (8x15) + (((15*15)/17)*12) = 638.82
Team B on (9x20) + (9x20) + (9x15) + (((14*15)/17)*12) = 643.24
Team B wins but both teams have played the same amount of games and won/lost the same amount of games.

Some people may argue that Team B won more higher grades than Team A...a good point but not a point that is implemented in the CC.

Then there is the fact that some teams play 1 less game in the 4th grade (hence the points ratio system now)

Team A :
1st Grade wins 9 loses 3
2nd Grade wins 9 loses 3
3rd Grade wins 9 loses 3

Team B :
1st Grade wins 9 loses 3
2nd Grade wins 9 loses 3
3rd Grade wins 9 loses 3
4th Grade wins 15 loses 1

This season would see:
Team A on (9x20) + (9x20) + (9x15) + (((16*15)/17)*12) = 664.41
Team B on (9x20) + (9x20) + (9x15) + (((15*15)/16)*12) = 663.75
Overall both teams have lost the same amount of games.
But team B has not not had the opportunity to win the same amount of games having played 1 less game in the 4th Grade.
So team A wins the club championship

The system the GCC voted in 12 to 1 simply does not work.
woodvillewarrior
Mini-League

Been liked: 6 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps