Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Tony Clifton » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:15 pm

So are WT and Port working towards a merger for the 2017/18 season?
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Aerie » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:27 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:So are WT and Port working towards a merger for the 2017/18 season?

Only because they have to.

If they didn't, one side would be axed from 1st Grade and the other have it's funding significantly cut for season 2016/17.

What happens from here still remains foggy.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 506 times

Postby oyster » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:02 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:So are WT and Port working towards a merger for the 2017/18 season?

Merger won't happen at all and both sides will be a part of the SACA competition for many years to come. You can bet on it.
More than happy to take anyones bet, if they think either or both clubs, won't be around at the end of 2016/2017
oyster
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 20 times

Postby The Hound » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:57 pm

oyster wrote:

Merger won't happen at all and both sides will be a part of the SACA competition for many years to come. You can bet on it.
More than happy to take anyones bet, if they think either or both clubs, won't be around at the end of 2016/2017

With a statement like that anybody would think Oyster is on the SACA Board ;)
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby ferret » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:23 am

Wouldn't mind him on the board!!!!!
ferret
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:23 am

Would be 12 clubs kicked out
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby ferret » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:50 am

Eleven. WT and PA would play off in the grand final each season.
ferret
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby oyster » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:37 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:Would be 12 clubs kicked out

Only one would be kicked out, and they are the ones without juniors. Spend all their time poaching players from clubs with juniors and contribute very little to the competition. I think its a fairly logical solution of who gets the boot. Not one of the proper district clubs thats for sure. Although Adelaide and Glenelg could now go and I wouldn't lose any sleep because of their behind the scenes treachery to both WT and PA.
oyster
Rookie

Postby heater31 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:43 pm

oyster wrote:

Only one would be kicked out, and they are the ones without juniors. Spend all their time poaching players from clubs with juniors and contribute very little to the competition. I think its a fairly logical solution of who gets the boot. Not one of the proper district clubs thats for sure. Although Adelaide and Glenelg could now go and I wouldn't lose any sleep because of their behind the scenes treachery to both WT and PA.

No Juniors.....that puts Port Adelaide in the gun again :roll:
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby oyster » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:03 pm

heater31 wrote:
oyster wrote:

Port have juniors. They might not be as good as the WT juniors but they have sides in the U13 Ray Sutton, U14 x 2 sides. They only have the one side in the U16's plus they also have an U17 School Boys team in the Christmas holidays. I'm not sure what you've been taking Heater, but you're looking a wee bit silly lately, with your poor, inaccurate and laughable comments. All that work trying to justify the treachery shown by your club to both WT and PA has you severely embarrassed and very muddled. We understand why your embarrassed, because if my club did what yours did, we'd also be ducking for cover and looking a tad muddled. Time to sharpen up your game champ, or you'll might miss out on a game with your beloved D grade next season. The last time I looked, U13, U14, U16 and U17's all equates to junior sides. Unless I'm missing something.......
oyster
Rookie

Postby Tony Clifton » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:17 pm

oyster wrote:

All premier grade competitions around the country have a University team in them.

They're not going anywhere. Good facilities, financially strong, quality coaches.

They would have junior teams if they were allowed to. It's not them choosing not to. I believe that they have junior teams in other sports.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby oyster » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:28 am

Tony Clifton wrote:
oyster wrote:

All premier grade competitions around the country have a University team in them.

They would have junior teams if they were allowed to. It's not them choosing not to. I believe that they have junior teams in other sports.

We all know they are going nowhere. That was never in dispute. Whether they have a team in every other state is irrelevant.
Whether they should be in the Adelaide competition, or why are they in the competition? Are two vastly different questions?
I am saying, that if you asked 100% of grade cricket players and members of all the SACA clubs in Adelaide, one simple question?

Which club do you think should be eliminated from the grade cricket competition in Adelaide to make 12 clubs?
I would bet that with a fair amount of confidence, that 50-75% of these players and members would say - University
oyster
Rookie

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:16 am

heater31 wrote:
oyster wrote:

Oh come on.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby Iron Fist » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:09 pm

heater31 wrote:
oyster wrote:

Give it a rest Heater
Your continual slander of Port Adelaide is getting a bit old.
Its obvious you have an issue with Port but the way you are going about it is painting a bad picture of who you are as a person.
get on board the thunder train!!!
Iron Fist
Veteran

Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Portland

Postby heater31 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:24 pm

So are Port Adelaide fielding a full compliment of SACA teams in both for the coming season? if so that is great news for the Club.

That also means they can stop contacting emerging players from other clubs that are getting opportunities at the club that developed them...
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Aerie » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:53 pm

heater31 wrote:So are Port Adelaide fielding a full compliment of SACA teams in both for the coming season? if so that is great news for the Club.

That also means they can stop contacting emerging players from other clubs that are getting opportunities at the club that developed them...

That is something many clubs do. Unless something is done about it by the Grade Cricket Committee, it will continue. It will continue.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 506 times

Postby oyster » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:54 pm

heater31 wrote:So are Port Adelaide fielding a full compliment of SACA teams in both for the coming season? if so that is great news for the Club.

Clubs will and can contact players from all clubs in the off season. Adelaide have been well known for contacting players from other clubs, so why not WT or PA? While clubs can contact players from other clubs, only 2 clubs have shown the absolute treachery to two other clubs that they've competed against for years. That treachery will never be forgotten by the two clubs. It also has paints you in a disgraceful manner with the rest of the SACA clubs.

The treachery shown by Adelaide and Glenelg, in how you messaged and emailed your members and players, will never be forgotten and continually rammed down your throat at every opportunity, as it was a disgraceful and disgusting thing to do. #NORESPECT :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
oyster
Rookie

Postby maxi » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:29 pm

Spot on oyster not sure where Heater is coming from. Needs to get off his high horse. I know for a fact Adelaide have approached at least 5 Glenelg players in recent years so not sure what hes on about approaching emerging players clubs have deveolped. Given Adelaides recent record their devolpment of players is questionable.

All clubs seek out opposition players been happening for years and will continue for many to come.
maxi
Rookie

Been liked: 8 times

Postby backoftheroom » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:28 pm

So what if clubs contact players outside their current playing list? If it means they are giving someone a crack in a different grade or a different role because they think that is the best thing for their club and the player then good on them. There is no true way to equalize the competition and if a struggling side is able to entice a young player over because his club has players ahead of him then good on them. They are trying to increase the quality of their side and in turn making the competition better as a whole.

Same goes for promoting juniors as well though. Sam Darling heading over to University this season will be welcomed by both clubs. Without Uni offering Darling a spot and 'chasing other club's players' all you'd have is either a sour teen not being given a proper crack despite his ability; or a disgruntled B Grader playing against much lesser players.

I've said it on this thread already, but I'll say it again, every club should be looking at ways to improve their side. That means looking after junior programs, providing good coaching as well as great facilities. It also means you should look to recruit the best team you can if your situation dictates that. Hawthorn didn't become the dominant team they are today without a few good acquisitions along the way, what makes any of you think a Grade club could? :roll:
backoftheroom

Postby Tony Clifton » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:31 am

Do the clubs who recruit heavily spend as much time and resources making sure they 'recruit' the best junior players in their zone initially? Do they know who the best 11, 12, 13 year olds are that are playing cricket in their metro or country zone? Do they provide quality coaching sources for their juniors or just dads of junior players?

The problem with recruiting senior players is that it doesn't actually make grade cricket any stronger as a whole. It just redistributes the existing assets.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps