CEO of the comp makes 315, gets slammed for doing it

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Should have he taken it easy?

Yes
45%
No
55%

Total votes : 11

CEO of the comp makes 315, gets slammed for doing it

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:02 pm

Pretty funny article

part of me thinks well if they are playing in that grade, then they have to expect it, but then again, smashing a triple in a 45 over game is a little too much, especially when the 16 year old captain of the other team pleads for you to retire. The fact that he is the CEO of the comp and is supposed to be nurturing these kids also has to be taken into consideration i think

ST JOHN'S College's teenage bowling attack was begging for the mercy rule as ex-New Zealand first class player and Hawke's Bay Cricket Association CEO Craig Findlay belted them to all parts of the ground in a blistering 307 off 115 balls.
Findlay, whose innings for Complete Flooring Napier Technical Old Boys including a mammoth 27 sixes, has come under fire from parents and players who questioned his motive against teenagers he should be "nurturing".
Findlay did not appear to regret his actions.
"It was coming off alright. I was dropped early though by some poor young fellow when I was on about 40," Findlay said.
"My favourite six was probably one that sailed over the sightscreen."
Asked if he would approach the game the same way if he was playing against his own son - now aged 10 - Findlay said he most certainly would.
"I tell you I also won't be cutting him any slack," Findlay said.
"I can't wait for him to play against them [experienced adults] ... to compete against the best."
Should Findlay have cut the kids some slack? Vote in the poll below
St John's 16-year-old captain James McNatty said things were already getting out of hand at the 23-over mark of the 45-over match, so he pleaded with the 42-year-old Findlay to retire.
Findlay said he'd think about it.
"After another seven overs I asked him again but he just walked away and carried on batting," said McNatty, who then approached opposing skipper Mike Pawson about the situation.
"Mike said there were only a few more overs to go and to keep our chins up," McNatty said.
Desperate, McNatty tried bowling every player in the team except the wicketkeeper.
"There was nothing I could do so I used everyone to have a go," added McNatty, whose teammates are mostly 15- and 16-year-olds.
"We were just glad to get off the field."
Concerned onlooker Megan Singleton said: "Can't believe the cricket CEO retired on 300. Some of those kids were 15 and completely demoralised. What a guy!
"That CEO should be nurturing these players not trying to show off and have his score on back page."
Andrew Frame, who was playing in a game on the next pitch at Napier's Nelson Park in New Zealand, added: "Nothing to be proud of in that game. Tech should have declared at 300-1 at the 20-over break and saved face.
"Felt for the St John's boys. Unfair contest, really."

Read more: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... z2qRidY0z0
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Re: CEO of the comp makes 315, gets slammed for doing it

Postby heater31 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:10 pm

If I was the opposing captain I would instruct my team to bat out the overs, time waste as much as possible. Wouldn't care if they went slower that Geoffrey Boycott. Give that prick plenty of time to contemplate his actions.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:33 pm

great effort...

toughen up opposition... rather that then watch someone bat for a long time and make 50....

mans sport, not kanga cricket...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3015 times
Been liked: 2383 times

Postby Squids » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:58 pm

catches win matches
Squids
Coach

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 205 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Tony Clifton » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:10 pm

Never met a Kiwi who wasn't a tosser
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 243 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Jabber » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:14 am

Part of the problem with society now is that some parents and do-gooders think its unfair for kids to experience failure, or get hurt, or feel sad.

Tough luck, how about worrying less about pleading with him to retire and more about getting him out.

I guess the kid that dropped him on 40 was lucky that he and his team mates were kids, coz if he was an adult he'd be buying the beers for the rest of the night if I was playing in his team!
Jabber
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Plympton

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:07 am

Jabber wrote:Part of the problem with society now is that some parents and do-gooders think its unfair for kids to experience failure, or get hurt, or feel sad.

Tough luck, how about worrying less about pleading with him to retire and more about getting him out.

I guess the kid that dropped him on 40 was lucky that he and his team mates were kids, coz if he was an adult he'd be buying the beers for the rest of the night if I was playing in his team!

very well said Jabber... Totally agree...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3015 times
Been liked: 2383 times

Postby no_remorse28 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:41 pm

The same parents who are letting there kids play in a senior competition ???

As said before, hold that catch, wouldn't be hearing about this as for was it the right thing to do, absolutely. Nuff said
no_remorse28
Reserves

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 71 times
Grassroots Team: Para Hills

Postby Tony Clifton » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:25 pm

Reminds me of the time Warwick Todd went to visit a poor South African township to run a coaching clinic for some kids.

He batted against the kids in the nets and they kept dropping short. WT hit all six of the town's tattered old cricket balls out of the nets and into an adjacent swamp.

"The kids were pretty disappointed but had learned a valuable lesson about bowling the right length."
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 243 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps