Community Cricket Structure

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Community Cricket Structure

Postby The Bedge » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:43 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:SACA got awarded $30k to implement a "Multicultural Community to Club" project last year, which one might assume is to address some of the issues raised above. But probably not...

Really?? Wonder what they did with the money or what it was aimed at.

Wouldn't surprise if they just funded a casual cricket officer to visit schools
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:51 pm

The Bedge wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote:SACA got awarded $30k to implement a "Multicultural Community to Club" project last year, which one might assume is to address some of the issues raised above. But probably not...

https://www.orsr.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0024/29247/2020-21-Successful-Website-List.pdf
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby tigerpie » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:16 pm

Interesting topic.

We've been approached a couple of times but knocked it back on the grounds that our club philosophy is you play where you are picked.
Having said that, if you only want to play one day cricket, we'd accommodate that as best we could.
There just isn't enough turf grounds down this way for us to expand to a second one day team.

At the risk of being called racist, I've seen some pretty dodgy actions and blatant cheating when umpiring themselves.
Governance of behaviour is administered by the clubs, with respect to spirit of cricket, but these teams don't have that.
There's been numerous complaints lodged with atca on this matter but not much can/is done.
Now I know club teams can be guilty of this kind of stuff too, but re. a suspect action, then that would be dealt with in house.
Scorers not being able to count would also be handled in house.
Pop up clubs don't have that, it seems.

I'm all for more participation but not in favour of pop up clubs for the above reasons.
Obviously for a new club ie. with juniors etc then they'd have a rock solid constitution in place then I'd be fine with that.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby The Bedge » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:17 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

https://www.orsr.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0024/29247/2020-21-Successful-Website-List.pdf

Wonder if that's not about getting communities to clubs, but rather helping facilitate communities becoming their own clubs.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:26 pm

The other part I personally struggle with when it comes to these parkland pop up style clubs is that it simply doesn't feel 'proper'.

I like to rock up to cricket wear my club colours and take on another postcode whose club is full of scum and dirtbags. I want to hit a ton on their deck at a ground that is their piece of paradise.

Playing some of these pop up clubs feel like the social indoor sports comps I run, a group of mates put a team, wear the same colour shirt but all slightly different like a man, Liverpool and arsenal shirt all in the same team, call themselves either a corny name like the Craigmore Cobras and a mildly funny attempt of humour like St Nuc and then drift in and out of the comp from year to year.

Maybe im old skool but its just not what I want from my competitive cricket......I know it doesn't make sense.
Last edited by whufc on Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Corona Man » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:06 pm

whufc wrote:The other part I personally struggle with when it comes to these parkland pop up style clubs is that it simply doesn't feel 'proper'.

I like to rock up to cricket wear my club colours and take on another postcode whose club is full of scum and dirtbags. I want to hit a ton on their deck at a ground that is their piece of paradise.

Playing some of these pop up clubs feel like the social indoor sports club I run, a group of mates put a team, where the same colour shirt but all slightly different, call themselves either a corny name like the Craigmore Cobras and a mildly funny attempt of humour like St Nuc and then drift in and out of the comp from year to year.

Maybe im old skool but its just not what I want from my competitive cricket......I no it doesn't make sense.

Yep I agree with you. We had a group of Indian/Sri Lanka guys come to our club this year. They played as our 4th team. This is their 3rd club in as many seasons. They have players who have ability and would be handy in the seconds, but they come as a group package. I think it stinks. They basically hold a club to ransom, and refuse to intergrate into the club. They won the flag this season, so good luck to them. The issues it caused us, is if the 3rds needed a player, we had to take one from the 5ths..... can't upset the guys in the 4th team. On the flip side they needed a player one week, so a bloke from the 3rds went down to help them out. They didn't speak to him all day, batted him at 9, and he didn't get a bowl.

Personally - I say stuff them, rather have 4 sides that are made up of club blokes, who play for the club, and in the team which is in line with their ability.

These guys played a semi final on our home ground, a group of us went down to the club..... and sat inside drinking & punting, wouldn't even watch them play.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Arch44 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:43 pm

I moved to Kilburn last season to play a season with a mate. Our Agrade and half the Bgrade have Afghan heritage and there is some very talented players amongst them and they are mostly nice guys.
The Agrade were premiers in LO2 which was great. The issue I had was they weren't all financial and some players were given club shirts for the GF and they still didn't wear them in the premiership photos.
As a whole I didn't enjoy the season in the Bgrade as training was farcical with guys coming and going as they pleased, sitting down for a chat during training, having their own training away from the club on a different night, some training in jeans and thongs, no white shirts in sight, game days they would car pool(which is fine) but regularly late or right on start time, there was no promotion to those that performed or dropping of those who were underperforming, a few would hang in the car park in the back of a van playing cards and having drinks instead of using the big clubrooms, I would struggle to name 3/4 of the Agrade premiership side looking at their photos, yet we had to accept it because I was told the club is on the right track.
I think the success of the Agrade and the 2 seasons previous by the Bgrade is masking the issues that are there and will come back to bite them.
Hogg Shield Div IV 2018 Winner
Arch44
League - Top 5

Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 272 times

Postby The Bedge » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:55 pm

Arch44 wrote:I moved to Kilburn last season to play a season with a mate. Our Agrade and half the Bgrade have Afghan heritage and there is some very talented players amongst them and they are mostly nice guys.
The Agrade were premiers in LO2 which was great. The issue I had was they weren't all financial and some players were given club shirts for the GF and they still didn't wear them in the premiership photos.
As a whole I didn't enjoy the season in the Bgrade as training was farcical with guys coming and going as they pleased, sitting down for a chat during training, having their own training away from the club on a different night, some training in jeans and thongs, no white shirts in sight, game days they would car pool(which is fine) but regularly late or right on start time, there was no promotion to those that performed or dropping of those who were underperforming, a few would hang in the car park in the back of a van playing cards and having drinks instead of using the big clubrooms, I would struggle to name 3/4 of the Agrade premiership side looking at their photos, yet we had to accept it because I was told the club is on the right track.
I think the success of the Agrade and the 2 seasons previous by the Bgrade is masking the issues that are there and will come back to bite them.

A lot of issues above are firstly not new to community cricket, regardless where you're from, but secondly issues that the onus should sit on the club to set standards and drive culture.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:56 pm

Corona Man wrote:These guys played a semi final on our home ground, a group of us went down to the club..... and sat inside drinking & punting, wouldn't even watch them play.

Can't imagine why they're struggling to integrate.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby auto » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:00 pm

Arch44 wrote:I moved to Kilburn last season to play a season with a mate. Our Agrade and half the Bgrade have Afghan heritage and there is some very talented players amongst them and they are mostly nice guys.
Also Arch, "my problem with all this is, how do i tell my team mates im a hawks supporter"

Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk
auto
League - Top 5

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby Arch44 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:01 pm

The Bedge wrote:

A lot of issues above are firstly not new to community cricket, regardless where you're from, but secondly issues that the onus should sit on the club to set standards and drive culture.

That's my point. The club is accepting because of the success instead of rectifying for the long term future.
Arch44
League - Top 5

Postby Arch44 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:06 pm

auto wrote:
Also Arch, "my problem with all this is, how do i tell my team mates im a hawks supporter"

Ah Auto. Its a lot easier than mentioning Port Magpies, Port Power, Port Adelaide FC Port Presbyterian, prison bar guernseys, and Collingwood jealousies,

Arch44
League - Top 5

Postby auto » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:15 pm

Arch44 wrote:
auto wrote:

Ah Auto. Its a lot easier than mentioning Port Magpies, Port Power, Port Adelaide FC Port Presbyterian, prison bar guernseys, and Collingwood jealousies,

Get on board Arch. Toot toot.

auto
League - Top 5

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby Corona Man » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:58 pm

The Bedge wrote:
Corona Man wrote:These guys played a semi final on our home ground, a group of us went down to the club..... and sat inside drinking & punting, wouldn't even watch them play.

Can't imagine why they're struggling to integrate.

If they showed some interest in us, we would show some interest in them. It’s a 2 way street.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:31 pm

Easier for you guys to break the ice IMO
whufc
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:43 pm

whufc wrote:Easier for you guys to break the ice IMO

Don’t worry we tried.... some of them just are not interested in anything but themselves and they’re group of mates.

That’s why they’ve been to 3 clubs in 3 years.
Corona Man
Coach

Postby Tony Clifton » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:11 pm

whufc wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:From another perspective, are community clubs set up to cater for a team of friends who want to play?

Or do players have to fit into the club structure where players might be picked in the A's, B's or C's in any particular week, depending on their ability and performance?

It is notable that a lot of these new teams are made up of cricketers recently arrived from overseas. Do they not feel comfortable walking into an existing, established cricket club for a game? If not, why? And what can be done to improve that situation?

I agree with your broad point that these 'pop up' clubs are not the best thing for the overall health of cricket, though acknowledge that it's good to see people playing (in any team).

^^^^^^^^^^

This 100%

Without having the stats in front of me its seems a very high majority of the new parkland style teams are based around the countries new arrivals.

I don't have a clue how 'club' cricket works overseas but is our system somewhat unique, is club cricket a structure other countries have. Is there a cultural difference between being able to go and play with 100% of your mates/family compared to a community structure where you are 'put' in a team based on skill and ability.

I agree, are we making new arrivals feel welcome enough. Being in the country at the moment its fair to say we don't see the same number of new arrivals in the region. When i was last playing city cricket very very very casual racism still existed. Very minor things like saying to the Indian bloke, 'we cant have our club curry night now because you will win it every year'.

Also and once again being very stereotypical but alot of our new arrivals work in the hospitality industry, I imagine this makes things such as training fairly difficult, in a community club structure each club has its own ways of dealing with non trainers etc. Do community clubs do enough to try and cater training for the needs of the players or are we all too locked in to Tuesday and Thursday night at 5:30pm? Back when I was living in the city it was not uncommon to see groups of what appeared to be new arrivals at the nets during non traditional hours like mid morning etc.

I honestly don't have the answers but i do agree that there is a lot of potential risk in every second old mate trying to and being able to set up their own club at the expense of the community clubs. Even listening to some blokes at my old city club i know their enjoyment was wavering due to a large amount of games played at grounds with limited amenities including toilets, canteen/kiosk, air conditioned club rooms etc. The same risk exists though when you get a group of glory hunters who want to come as a package and form their own superstar D Grade under your clubs banner. I've seen then end disastrously on many occasions as will.

From what ive seen as well a lot of those pop up clubs can be some the hardest for leagues to manage. Some last 10 years others quit mid season, they seem to be more of a year to year propositon, they also don't seem to be willing to meet the league requirements surrounding grade as well as community clubs, they don't tend to have the picture view that most community clubs have.

Don't really have the answer but yeah those pop up clubs don't really sit comfortable with me.

Interesting article:

"Rock Up" Cricket

https://www.orsr.sa.gov.au/ors_news?a=33188
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Dutchy » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:38 pm

A couple of years back a local club down South took on a D grade team from another club when they moved to another comp, these are your normal old school D graders, not new arrivals, again just a group of mates that wanted to play together locally and not travel all around town.

Club thought it was a good things to get another team and have a new group of players, except they were all a mob of pricks and damaged the clubs reputation. Half way thru the year the C grade were struggling for numbers and they refused to go up to assist, association rules are that you have to forfeit your bottom team so it put everyone in a very difficult position, didnt end well.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby whitepointers » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:09 pm

Dutchy wrote:A couple of years back a local club down South took on a D grade team from another club when they moved to another comp, these are your normal old school D graders, not new arrivals, again just a group of mates that wanted to play together locally and not travel all around town.

Club thought it was a good things to get another team and have a new group of players, except they were all a mob of pricks and damaged the clubs reputation. Half way thru the year the C grade were struggling for numbers and they refused to go up to assist, association rules are that you have to forfeit your bottom team so it put everyone in a very difficult position, didnt end well.

What club or comp was this in ?
whitepointers
Rookie

Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Port Noarlunga

Postby whufc » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:33 am

Dutchy wrote:A couple of years back a local club down South took on a D grade team from another club when they moved to another comp, these are your normal old school D graders, not new arrivals, again just a group of mates that wanted to play together locally and not travel all around town.

Yeah have seen this happen a few times in the PDCA.

There were a group of friends who kept moving as a team from club to club, I don't know how but they kept finding clubs that were willing to take them on, they then started moving to established clubs who didn't have cricket teams before eventually starting their own club Elizabeth East which played in Elizabeth West.

They left a trail of destruction wherever they went and were renowned for having multiple players suspended every year. Their own club ended up lasting around 5 years but no one was sad to see it all fold.
Last edited by whufc on Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
whufc
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps