Community Cricket Structure

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Community Cricket Structure

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:54 am

auto wrote:
Riverside were a decent club but by all reports didnt have enough people off field to make it robust enough and it folded due to lack of numbers.

In football there are northern examples of clubs folding. Whilst they may have been great little clubs that people loved, if they dont have a strong unit off field then they will be, and were, susceptible especially in crowded suburban areas.

My closing argument. Build it strong.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk

Riverside were always going to hit a brick wall, a bunch of mates who played together for a long time running a club from an esky and a BBQ, sustainability was always going to be difficult and the culture they set kept it going as long as they, massive credit to them for remaining in the top two divisions.

They rarely had juniors, they were always going to be up against it with South Gawler being less than 2kms away and then there's Gawler Central, Angle Vale and Willaston who would all be inside a 6km radius at a guess, all have decent junior programs, facilities and club rooms.

I know the PDCA used to be very stringent about clubs wanting to start from just a bunch of mates, I've seen many declined over the years when they rock up to the AGM but there seems to more starting up nowadays and as long as they are viable then good on them.

I know I had heard negative things about the Adelaide Warriors over the years but after playing them I had nothing but respect for them, I loved their endeavour, sportsmanship and their BBQ was top shelf, I used to score for my son's team and the cook brought over this massive marinated lamb burger thingy for me right as the kids walked off for drinks, it was the bomb.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby The Bedge » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:43 am

auto wrote:Case in point, relating to you phantom, how would you have rated Enfield in churches v how youd rate it now? I'd say you were an average club in churches but id now rate you post 2015 (or whatever year it was) as the most successful club to come out of churches, and thats based on the off field efforts from yourself and others like you at Enfield. Youve built a strong club albeit not as successful on field as youd like.

Interesting, but also depends on what you class as successful.

The key with Enfield over the years is they've always had a reasonable player base and multiple sides. So when the going got tough and players retired or left, and the club dropped sides, still kept multiple sides going. This I believe is the main reason we have been able to survive whilst other CCCA clubs perhaps did not.

This is why I believe it's potentially dangerous gifting entry to new clubs built up from a group of mate - very rarely is it a sustainable model.. once a few lads leave you're left with half a side - can't downsize, can only disappear.

Build big clubs with multiple sides - even if you cap it at say 4x senior sides per club - and build a strong sustainable competition... or... Run outdoor cricket the same as indoor cricket, let people nominate and enter sides into competitions on a season by season basis and just create fixtures from there.

The suggestion that new arrivals may not feel comfortable in going to a structured club is semi valid. Sometimes you've just got to have a crack, and there are examples of clubs who have accommodated or managed to "integrate" them in well - North Pines, Enfield, Gepps Cross, Woodville, Kilburn - few names that pop into mind.

Perhaps associations - or SACA - should be working closer with clubs in that community to facilitate these new sides into their club, and perhaps some leniency with allowing them to play together until they're comfortable in the club?
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby whufc » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:50 am

The Bedge wrote:
auto wrote:Case in point, relating to you phantom, how would you have rated Enfield in churches v how youd rate it now? I'd say you were an average club in churches but id now rate you post 2015 (or whatever year it was) as the most successful club to come out of churches, and thats based on the off field efforts from yourself and others like you at Enfield. Youve built a strong club albeit not as successful on field as youd like.

The key with Enfield over the years is they've always had a reasonable player base and multiple sides. So when the going got tough and players retired or left, and the club dropped sides, still kept multiple sides going. This I believe is the main reason we have been able to survive whilst other CCCA clubs perhaps did not.

This is why I believe it's potentially dangerous gifting entry to new clubs built up from a group of mate - very rarely is it a sustainable model.. once a few lads leave you're left with half a side - can't downsize, can only disappear.

Build big clubs with multiple sides - even if you cap it at say 4x senior sides per club - and build a strong sustainable competition... or... Run outdoor cricket the same as indoor cricket, let people nominate and enter sides into competitions on a season by season basis and just create fixtures from there.

The suggestion that new arrivals may not feel comfortable in going to a structured club is semi valid. Sometimes you've just got to have a crack, and there are examples of clubs who have accommodated or managed to "integrate" them in well - North Pines, Enfield, Gepps Cross, Woodville, Kilburn - few names that pop into mind.

Perhaps associations - or SACA - should be working closer with clubs in that community to facilitate these new sides into their club, and perhaps some leniency with allowing them to play together until they're comfortable in the club?

This topic really interests me. How have Enfield gone about integrating players into teams.

From the outside and looking on mycricket the impression I get at North Pines is that they have essentially allowed the new arrivals to have their 'own' team under the club banner with one to two others. That might not be the case at that those players ability means they are all in that grade together.

If it is a case of allowing a group to all play together under the club banner im interested to know how many clubs would 'allow' that type of arrangement. I don't mind it especially if they are all paying fees, spending some money over the bar, a couple end up playing higher level I think its pretty much a win/win.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby auto » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:57 am

The Bedge wrote:

I remember reading an example of this with the Norwood (i think) Volleyball Club where they took in a side made up of Afghans who played together for a year and in the second year, after they become comfortable in the environment, they would be selected on merit. Perhaps a good process to follow.

auto
League - Top 5

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby The Bedge » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:15 am

whufc wrote:This topic really interests me. How have Enfield gone about integrating players into teams.

From the outside and looking on mycricket the impression I get at North Pines is that they have essentially allowed the new arrivals to have their 'own' team under the club banner with one to two others. That might not be the case at that those players ability means they are all in that grade together.

If it is a case of allowing a group to all play together under the club banner im interested to know how many clubs would 'allow' that type of arrangement. I don't mind it especially if they are all paying fees, spending some money over the bar, a couple end up playing higher level I think its pretty much a win/win.

Couple of interesting points in here, all that need fair bit of consideration.

Enfield, we have always tried to be very open and clear with our expectations of players and the requirement of playing where picked. Doesn't always work, and we have been quiet lenient at times. I'm more than happy to let a couple mates play together in the same club if it makes them feel comfortable. Support of new players is critical and breaking down the barriers / stereotypes and being more inclusive.

Early days the players from an Indian background didn't feel comfortable because some of the "old school" types didn't make them feel comfortable.

"They always rock up late"
"They don't sit with us"
"They don't come back to preso and drink beers"

Very much "us" and "them" outlook.

Case in point - back a few years back (I forget what season), we had a new guy Amit Channa join the club, every Saturday he'd rock up either right on 1pm or not long after - some days not until 2pm. Constantly get guys say "Get rid of him".. "dont need him".. "They dont understand / lack respect".. "Cant stand him", and this resentment began to be pushed onto him during matches.

I called him, asked if there is anyway i can help and why he was late - turns out he was working every Sat morning in Virginia until lunch then racing home, taking his son to cricket and then getting to his own game. Once we knew the problem we were able to work around it, players more understanding and then 2 years later he almost led our A grade to a premiership with 48 wickets and 300+ runs.

The biggest key is to make a connection. Make them feel comfortable, reach out and try and learn about them and their situation and realise we all come from different backgrounds and have a different story.

One thing that's simple that i'm deadset against, is referring to our members as "The Indians".. most of them are Aussie Citizens, and all of them have a name - use it. I wouldn't appreciate being called "The aboriginal".
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:19 am

The Bedge wrote:
One thing that's simple that i'm deadset against, is referring to our members as "The Indians".. most of them are Aussie Citizens, and all of them have a name - use it. I wouldn't appreciate being called "The aboriginal".

HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby The Bedge » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:26 am

I don't mind it especially if they are all paying fees, spending some money over the bar, a couple end up playing higher level I think its pretty much a win/win.

It's this one that comes up a lot - the lack of investment over the bar or attendance at social functions.

However, it's not always black and white. As "Aussie" sporting clubs, generally our events or presentations revolve around drinking beers and eating a schnitty or something.

A lot of our new arrival base are Muslim or Vegetarian or Vegan - bottom line is we don't cater to their needs enough.

We also don't need this blokes (or any member) coming back every Saturday night for the club to be sustainable - people have families of their own.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:41 am

The Bedge wrote:Couple of interesting points in here, all that need fair bit of consideration.

Enfield, we have always tried to be very open and clear with our expectations of players and the requirement of playing where picked. Doesn't always work, and we have been quiet lenient at times. I'm more than happy to let a couple mates play together in the same club if it makes them feel comfortable. Support of new players is critical and breaking down the barriers / stereotypes and being more inclusive.

Early days the players from an Indian background didn't feel comfortable because some of the "old school" types didn't make them feel comfortable.

"They don't sit with us"

Case in point - back a few years back (I forget what season), we had a new guy Amit Channa join the club, every Saturday he'd rock up either right on 1pm or not long after - some days not until 2pm. Constantly get guys say "Get rid of him".. "dont need him".. "They dont understand / lack respect".. "Cant stand him", and this resentment began to be pushed onto him during matches.

I called him, asked if there is anyway i can help and why he was late - turns out he was working every Sat morning in Virginia until lunch then racing home, taking his son to cricket and then getting to his own game. Once we knew the problem we were able to work around it, players more understanding and then 2 years later he almost led our A grade to a premiership with 48 wickets and 300+ runs.

The biggest key is to make a connection. Make them feel comfortable, reach out and try and learn about them and their situation and realise we all come from different backgrounds and have a different story.

Excellent post, both sides have responsibility to ensure any new player integrates into the club, but at the end of the day the club that works with the players to ensure they are comfortable will benefit long term, Im sure it doesn't take long for word to get around and all of a sudden you have a flow of players and families with kids who no doubt are cricket obsessed, locks away the clubs future for many years to come.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby heater31 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:51 am

The Bedge wrote:
I don't mind it especially if they are all paying fees, spending some money over the bar, a couple end up playing higher level I think its pretty much a win/win.

It's this one that comes up a lot - the lack of investment over the bar or attendance at social functions.

However, it's not always black and white. As "Aussie" sporting clubs, generally our events or presentations revolve around drinking beers and eating a schnitty or something.

A lot of our new arrival base are Muslim or Vegetarian or Vegan - bottom line is we don't cater to their needs enough.

We also don't need this blokes (or any member) coming back every Saturday night for the club to be sustainable - people have families of their own.
Keep working on welcoming them Bedge. Only need to get a couple of them integrated into your club and they will start bringing other players with them that they play in the 'winter' leagues with.

My large ATCA club have a number of these guys spread throughout the grades now and have even entered their own winter league side. It all started after a couple of them became fed up with how their multicultural Saturday summer club was being run. They came to us as they perceived our club to be well run and generally good blokes to play against. Now they bring other blokes with them looking for a similar experience.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby whufc » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:13 pm

The Bedge wrote:

Yeah sorry, I should have clarified by spending over the bar, I was moreso talking about not bringing in their own grog etc which I have seen on many occasions from people of all backgrounds, not so much having to spend $$ over the bar. Hope that makes sense.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:18 pm

The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:This topic really interests me. How have Enfield gone about integrating players into teams.

Couple of interesting points in here, all that need fair bit of consideration.

"They don't sit with us"

Love it mate!!

Sadly in the country I think the majority sit 5-10 years behind the inclusiveness standards that I had come accustomed to running community centres in the city.

I'm trying to lead by example given the multi cultural heritage I have despite my appearance being of a standard Caucasian aussie. I also see this as being key to my towns cricket club survival. No doubt we will see the government incentivise new arrivals moving into regional areas and I really hope my club can be our regions leader for inclusion and creating a welcoming environment.
whufc
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:34 pm

whufc wrote:Sadly in the country I think the majority sit 5-10 years behind the inclusiveness standards that I had come accustomed to running community centres in the city.

Don't think it's restricted to the country - like you highlighted earlier, there is still a lot of casual racism / subconscious bias / prejudice getting around, and until the older generations mindsets die out we will still experience a lacking in this area.

Cricket in particular should be the vehicle that helps bring all our communities together given it's a fairly worldly sport.

Which brings me back to my original point of discussion - should teams be allowed to be formed from nothing, or should clubs be supported in the first instance to create sustainable organisations? :-k
The Bedge
Coach

Postby auto » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:45 pm

Which brings me back to my original point of discussion - should teams be allowed to be formed from nothing, or should clubs be supported in the first instance to create sustainable organisations?

Why shouldnt they be allowed? Every club in existence has started from nothing.

auto
League - Top 5

Postby whitepointers » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:13 pm

Probably doesn't help when you have behaviour like this on the eve of a Grand Final.
Attachments
Capture11.JPG
Capture11.JPG (58.78 KiB) Viewed 1870 times
whitepointers
Rookie

Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Port Noarlunga

Postby The Bedge » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:14 pm

auto wrote:Why shouldnt they be allowed? Every club in existence has started from nothing.

Valid, you're right.. but perhaps more in place before they're approved i.e. constitution, incorporation, member of support organisations? Not just 11 blokes who wanna play together for a Summer.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby auto » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:20 pm

The Bedge wrote:
auto wrote:Why shouldnt they be allowed? Every club in existence has started from nothing.

Valid, you're right.. but perhaps more in place before they're approved i.e. constitution, incorporation, member of support organisations? Not just 11 blokes who wanna play together for a Summer.

What about acceptance of team with 1 year to get constitution together, incorporation. Must have toilet facilities at oval etc etc

auto
League - Top 5

Postby whufc » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:34 pm

Not sure how to word it correctly but I do have concerns when we see these clubs pop up that we all lose that community connection value.

As Bedge said his club and even North Pines have found ways to successful integrate different cultures into the one club environment. For society as a whole that is invaluable. Without knowing the exact situation but im guessing at North Pines now we have a group of up to 30-40 people who are now more accepting and understanding of different cultures whilst also having new arrivals who are finding their connection in our aussie culture. That has to be priceless.

We do lose that element when some of these club are created as they 'go on their own' albeit I can understand why they would want to play as a group as it would be confronting coming to an established club, even I find that confronting as a mature aged cucasian Australian.
whufc
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:43 pm

End of the day the controlling bodies (SACA/CA) wouldn't care too much, if anything having new clubs pop up allows them to spruik development of the game and participation rates, bit of chest beating. To actually come up with a sensible solution (like many posts on here) would require a fair bit of work which Im not sure they would be prepared to do.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby auto » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:44 pm

whufc wrote:Not sure how to word it correctly but I do have concerns when we see these clubs pop up that we all lose that community connection value.

As Bedge said his club and even North Pines have found ways to successful integrate different cultures into the one club environment. For society as a whole that is invaluable. Without knowing the exact situation but im guessing at North Pines now we have a group of up to 30-40 people who are now more accepting and understanding of different cultures whilst also having new arrivals who are finding their connection in our aussie culture. That has to be priceless.

We do lose that element when some of these club are created as they 'go on their own' albeit I can understand why they would want to play as a group as it would be confronting coming to an established club, even I find that confronting as a mature aged cucasian Australian.
Old mate, dumb as nails, i used to work with once asked me what a caucasian was i told him a cockasian was an asian with a big johnson. He believed me.

auto
League - Top 5

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:23 pm

SACA got awarded $30k to implement a "Multicultural Community to Club" project last year, which one might assume is to address some of the issues raised above. But probably not...
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps