Adelaide Hills Cricket (HCA, TVCA & A&EH)

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Adelaide Hills Cricket (HCA, TVCA & A&EH)

Postby caleb777 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:45 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:If I was running a competition...

Three grades: A, B and C.

If a club enters one team only it is in the B Grade.

If a club enters two teams these teams are B Grade and A Grade.

If a club enters three teams these teams are B Grade, A Grade and C Grade.

For clubs with 4th, 5th, 6th... teams the additional teams follow the same sequence: B, A, C, B, A, C...

For large competitions with 12+ teams in a grade you might need divisions B1, B2, B3... with promotion/relegation. But teams can't go from A to B, B to C or vice versa. Clubs also can't have multiple teams in a division unless there is only one division available.

There is no mechanism available to move up and down grades or divisions outside of promotion/relegation.

What this might look like in a 'Hills Super League' just using last season's team numbers and ignoring any clubs who are on the move:

A Grade (28 teams)
A1 (10) - Hahndorf, Langhorne Creek, Lobethal, Nairne, Strathalbyn, Woodside, Aldgate, Meadows, Mt Lofty, Gumeracha
A2 (8) - Bremer Callington, Wistow, Flagstaff Hill, Kangarilla, Stirling, Cambrai, Lenswood, Palmer
A3 (10) - Echunga, Finniss, Macclesfield, Mt Barker, Bridgewater, Scott Creek Ironbank, Uraidla, Birdwood, Eden Valley, Paracombe

B Grade (35 teams)
B1 (11) - Ashbourne I, Hahndorf II, Lobethal II, Nairne II, Woodside II, Aldgate II, Basket Range I, Mylor I, Onkaparinga I, Lenswood II, Mt Torrens I
B2 (12) - Bremer Callington II, Langhorne Creek II, Macclesfield II, Nairne III, Strathalbyn II, Wistow II, Woodside III, Kangarilla II, Meadows II, Mt Lofty II, Eden Valley II, Gumeracha II
B3 (12) - Echunga II, Finniss II, Mt Barker II, Bridgewater II, Flagstaff Hill II, Scott Creek Ironbank II, Stirling II, Uraidla II, Birdwood II, Cambrai II, Palmer II, Paracombe II

C Grade (12 teams)
C1 (12) - Bremer Callington III, Hahndorf III, Langhorne Creek III, Lobethal III, Macclesfield III, Nairne IV, Strathalbyn III, Wistow III, Woodside IV, Aldgate III, Kangarilla III, Lenswood III

* I'm not familiar with the relative strengths of the three competitions so guessing here, mostly basing it on which clubs have multiple teams, who finished high on the ladder last season etc.

That is one of the best models ive seen for a hills super league. That would be amazing.
caleb777
Under 16s

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 19 times

Postby saintal » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:21 pm

The Bedge wrote:
saintal wrote:So from what I understand they will be playing in Para Districts instead. Whether it's a standalone Mt Torrens team, or one under the banner of another club (ie Athelstone) we're not sure yet, but would assume it's the latter.

Correct, playing under the Athelstone banner in PDCA.

It'll be interesting which of the 3 limited overs sides they compete in, either way i'd expect some of their guys to take the absolute mickey in that level of cricket.

LO5 for the ex Mt Torrens guys, with most home games at East Torrens PS. As you mentioned, some piss will be taken. Will watch the scores with a degree of interest initially.

TVCA Round 1 this weekend:

Lenswood v Birdwood
Eden Valley v Cambrai in the game of the round
Paracombe v Gumeracha
Palmer have a bye.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Postby Barkeroo » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:49 am

So Round 1 this weekend for A&EH

Langhorne Creek v Strathalbyn
Should be a good game I'm going with Strath because of the Creek's poor Rnd 1 record.

Woodside v Nairne
Another good game hard to go against the reigning premiers

Macclesfield v Hahndorf
Tipping a bit of an upset. Thinking maybe Maccy will be up and about for their first A Grade game in about 15 years.

Bremer Callington v Lobethal
On the new turf at Cally but Lobethal will be very hard to beat this year.
Barkeroo
Rookie

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Barker

Postby cracka » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:44 am

Tony Clifton wrote:If I was running a competition...

Three grades: A, B and C.

If a club enters one team only it is in the B Grade.

If a club enters two teams these teams are B Grade and A Grade.

If a club enters three teams these teams are B Grade, A Grade and C Grade.

For clubs with 4th, 5th, 6th... teams the additional teams follow the same sequence: B, A, C, B, A, C...

For large competitions with 12+ teams in a grade you might need divisions B1, B2, B3... with promotion/relegation. But teams can't go from A to B, B to C or vice versa. Clubs also can't have multiple teams in a division unless there is only one division available.

There is no mechanism available to move up and down grades or divisions outside of promotion/relegation.

What this might look like in a 'Hills Super League' just using last season's team numbers and ignoring any clubs who are on the move:

A Grade (28 teams)
A1 (10) - Hahndorf, Langhorne Creek, Lobethal, Nairne, Strathalbyn, Woodside, Aldgate, Meadows, Mt Lofty, Gumeracha
A2 (8) - Bremer Callington, Wistow, Flagstaff Hill, Kangarilla, Stirling, Cambrai, Lenswood, Palmer
A3 (10) - Echunga, Finniss, Macclesfield, Mt Barker, Bridgewater, Scott Creek Ironbank, Uraidla, Birdwood, Eden Valley, Paracombe

B Grade (35 teams)
B1 (11) - Ashbourne I, Hahndorf II, Lobethal II, Nairne II, Woodside II, Aldgate II, Basket Range I, Mylor I, Onkaparinga I, Lenswood II, Mt Torrens I
B2 (12) - Bremer Callington II, Langhorne Creek II, Macclesfield II, Nairne III, Strathalbyn II, Wistow II, Woodside III, Kangarilla II, Meadows II, Mt Lofty II, Eden Valley II, Gumeracha II
B3 (12) - Echunga II, Finniss II, Mt Barker II, Bridgewater II, Flagstaff Hill II, Scott Creek Ironbank II, Stirling II, Uraidla II, Birdwood II, Cambrai II, Palmer II, Paracombe II

C Grade (12 teams)
C1 (12) - Bremer Callington III, Hahndorf III, Langhorne Creek III, Lobethal III, Macclesfield III, Nairne IV, Strathalbyn III, Wistow III, Woodside IV, Aldgate III, Kangarilla III, Lenswood III

* I'm not familiar with the relative strengths of the three competitions so guessing here, mostly basing it on which clubs have multiple teams, who finished high on the ladder last season etc.

Geez you've put some awesome thought into that. Well done. Only thing I'd add would be capping each comp at maybe 8-10 teams to enable a home & away season so maybe 4 B comps.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 559 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby jackpot jim » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:02 am

Barkeroo wrote:So Round 1 this weekend for A&EH

Should be a good game I'm going with Strath because of the Creek's poor Rnd 1 record.

I see you've done your homework Barkeroo.
Creeks did break their Rd 1 hoodoo last year on the back of a whirlwind ton by Warren when all looked lost and they'll be looking to him again to score big runs in a depleted batting order that should have an intimidating look about in a months time as a number of players will have a late start to the season.
Both Strath and Creek look like showcasing some good young talent in the absence of some experienced players tomorrow which will be worth the admission fee.

Woodside v Nairne 50/50

Hahndorf look significantly less imposing than in recent years and may be one of Maccy's better chances of chalking up a win in their comeback season which will be very challenging for them one would think.

Lobey should get over Bremer Cally tho im sure B/C will take a few scalps this season when least expected.
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 444 times

Postby jackpot jim » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:29 am

jackpot jim wrote:
Barkeroo wrote:So Round 1 this weekend for A&EH

Great start to the season with 4 competitive matches with no surprise results tho B/Cally and Maccy went close to producing upsets
I see you've done your homework Barkeroo.
Creeks did break their Rd 1 hoodoo last year on the back of a whirlwind ton by Warren when all looked lost and they'll be looking to him again to score big runs in a depleted batting order that should have an intimidating look about in a months time as a number of players will have a late start to the season.
Both Strath and Creek look like showcasing some good young talent in the absence of some experienced players tomorrow which will be worth the admission fee.
Fantastic entertainment for the good crowd that attended with close to 500 runs in the day on a flat as a tack pitch. Ben Warren went within 5 runs of repeating last years Rd 1 ton, throwing his wicket away trying to bring it up with a 6 and being stumped. Kropp at the top of the order broke a run of 6 ducks to post a hard hitting 60 in a total of 5/.259. The task was always gonna be beyond Strath tho they did well to post 220 which normally would be a winning score. Newcomer Christensen for the Creeks showed he'll be a handy acquisition for the Southern Tigers.

Woodside v Nairne 50/50
Woodside comfortably accounted for the reigning premiers as Jarrod Taits Golden duck set the tone for Nairnes failed run chase
Woodside 7/178 Def Nairne 116

Hahndorf look significantly less imposing than in recent years and may be one of Maccy's better chances of chalking up a win in their comeback season which will be very challenging for them one would think.
Maccy almost got a 1st up win back in A Grade but their 113 was just not quite enough for Hahndorf to chase it down 8 wickets down.

Lobey should get over Bremer Cally tho im sure B/C will take a few scalps this season when least expected.

Lobey got a 1st up win over the Cobras in the 1st ever match on the new Turf at Cally oval on the back of Mitch Weeks carrying his bat , finishing with 85* out of a score of 7/150 on the slow Cally outfield. Cally were immediately on the backfoot in their run chase being 2/0 before recovering to 4/98 before a further collapse to see them bowled out for 133 just 17 runs short.
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby Barkeroo » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:50 pm

Maccy gave defending low total a good crack by the looks of it though. Hahndorf took 38 overs to get there so still good signs first up but batting does tend to be the problem for new teams coming up to the top grade.

Same for the Cobras giving it a good crack as well. If it wasnt for Weeks Bremer/Cally might have gotten up as no one else did too much with the bat.

Langhorne Creek getting home in a good match for their second Rnd 1 in 17 years!

Not a bad first round.
Barkeroo
Rookie

Postby whufc » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:53 am

saintal wrote:
The Bedge wrote:
saintal wrote:So from what I understand they will be playing in Para Districts instead. Whether it's a standalone Mt Torrens team, or one under the banner of another club (ie Athelstone) we're not sure yet, but would assume it's the latter.

Correct, playing under the Athelstone banner in PDCA.

It'll be interesting which of the 3 limited overs sides they compete in, either way i'd expect some of their guys to take the absolute mickey in that level of cricket.

LO5 for the ex Mt Torrens guys, with most home games at East Torrens PS. As you mentioned, some piss will be taken. Will watch the scores with a degree of interest initially.

TVCA Round 1 this weekend:

Lenswood v Birdwood
Eden Valley v Cambrai in the game of the round
Paracombe v Gumeracha
Palmer have a bye.

Just took a look a the Athelstone score...…….they won fairly comfortable but looking at the scores no piss taken.

Chased down 143, five down with 8 overs to spare. Played my old club Atco and looking at their side would suggest that they would be mid table at best in that division based on who played.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby The Bedge » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:49 am

whufc wrote:Just took a look a the Athelstone score...…….they won fairly comfortable but looking at the scores no piss taken.

Chased down 143, five down with 8 overs to spare. Played my old club Atco and looking at their side would suggest that they would be mid table at best in that division based on who played.

Chased down 143 in 17 overs mate.

Hobbs still in as well.

Wayne Round still to come back, Ben Round will end up with 500+ runs & 30 wickets. Foord-McCabe won’t fail every week.

Easing into the season, looking at the results in that grade I can’t see a team beating them.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby saintal » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:28 am

Ben Round is a decent all-rounder. Trent Young was/is Mt Torrens’ best cricketer, but believe might not be playing initially due to a back injury. Not sure if the likes of Scott Floyd, Tyson James, Craig Huggins are fronting up, have all played some decent A Grade cricket over the years but might have given it away(?). That Athelstone team had 5 of Mt Torrens’ grand final 11.

In the TVCA, Paracombe upset Gumeracha. The Pirates were 1/79, all out 120. Gumeracha were then 0/83..all out 108! Eden Valley gave a weakened Cambrai a touch up, while Lenswood had a relatively comfortable 8 wicket win against Birdwood. The Bulls have a handy new bat (M. Stancl) from Para Districts though.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Postby Corona Man » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:15 pm

All the best for a great season to the Echunga Miners who celebrate their 150th year. Go well lads.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3460 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby jackpot jim » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:21 am

Round 2 of A&EHCA in A Grade sees a few sides fairly depleted today which should gift wins to their opponents

Lobethals team list looks unrecognizable as the result of Ben Mathews getting married and this should present Hahndorf with the win

Creeks take on Nairne and Nairne should bounce back from their inglorious 1st up showing last week by accounting for a depleted Creek team without 7 of their 1st choice players for various reason including injuries to 2 fast bowlers last week with hamstring and back problems

Strath host Woodside in a 50/50 clash on the turf at Strath. Strath will be strengthened with the return of Mark Abbott which may just tip the scales in their favour.

Bremer Cally host Maccy on the No. 2 oval at Cally after Callys attempt to cover the pitch on their No. 1 oval failed and only made matters worse :roll: whilst their N0. 2 turf Pitch is right to go without covers. Go figure :? Both suffered narrow 1st up losses,, Bremer Cally looking slightly better placed to open their account in this one.
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:15 pm

whufc wrote:Just took a look a the Athelstone score...…….they won fairly comfortable but looking at the scores no piss taken. .

What about this week.. ? ;)
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby whufc » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:25 pm

The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:Just took a look a the Athelstone score...…….they won fairly comfortable but looking at the scores no piss taken. .

What about this week.. ? ;)

Piss taken this week.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Barkeroo » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:06 pm

jackpot jim wrote:Round 2 of A&EHCA in A Grade sees a few sides fairly depleted today which should gift wins to their opponents

Lobethals team list looks unrecognizable as the result of Ben Mathews getting married and this should present Hahndorf with the win

Creeks take on Nairne and Nairne should bounce back from their inglorious 1st up showing last week by accounting for a depleted Creek team without 7 of their 1st choice players for various reason including injuries to 2 fast bowlers last week with hamstring and back problems

Strath host Woodside in a 50/50 clash on the turf at Strath. Strath will be strengthened with the return of Mark Abbott which may just tip the scales in their favour.

Bremer Cally host Maccy on the No. 2 oval at Cally after Callys attempt to cover the pitch on their No. 1 oval failed and only made matters worse :roll: whilst their N0. 2 turf Pitch is right to go without covers. Go figure :? Both suffered narrow 1st up losses,, Bremer Cally looking slightly better placed to open their account in this one.

Not bad tipping from you mate.
Hahndorf get up over Lobey with all their outs by 31 runs
Nairne also got up over the Creek's defending 154.
Strath got up at home over Woodside with a very similar scoreline
Maccy did really well to defend 106 and get a first A Grade win against B/C.

Good weekend for us Echidnas with 2 out of 3 wins to start the season.
Barkeroo
Rookie

Postby jackpot jim » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:18 am

Thanks Barkeroo

4 close matches with the biggest margin only 31 runs with ALL teams batting 1st winning.
Only the one minor upset with Macclesfield securing their 1st A Grade win for about 15 years. They will tho find it considerably harder over the next 5 rounds where they'll play the real contenders.
A depleted Creek team played probably their youngest team ever and had Nairne on the ropes before the experience of Nairne bowlers eventually came to the fore over the inexperienced Creek youngsters.
2 rounds in and incredibly Hahndorf are the only undefeated team :shock: I think their time at the top will be short lived tho

I'll go out on a limb even this far out and tipping an all Tiger Grand Final between Lobey and Creeks with Woodside, Strath and Nairne the other 3 finals chances.
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby jackpot jim » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:11 am

A&EHCA Rd 3

Creeks v Woodside at Creek - Creeks have a few handy ins this week which could be enough to get over Woodside. Word has it that Woodside got the rough end of the stick with the umpiring against Strath last week and will be nervous this week with the same umpire assigned to this match :roll:

Nairne v Strath at Nairne - As will be the case throughout the season, there will be numerous 50/50 games and this is another of those. Toss of the coin may decide this as 7 of the 8 winners so far have batted 1st. Tipping Strath with little confidence tho if Matty Roberts gets going with the bat they may win easily

Bremer Cally host Hahndorf - another 50/50 game. Hahndorf have had 2 narrow wins tho neither have been impressive whilst B/C have started with 2 losses. May be 3rd time lucky for the Cobras as they wouldn't want to be zip & 3 after 3 consecutive home matches.

Maccy host the Northern Tigers Lobethal - The Redbacks have transitioned back into A Grade smoothly with a narrow loss and a win but may get a reality check this week with Lobey expected to be back to close to full strength. It will be a good test for Maccy to see where they are at and if they can be competitive against Lobey then they should look forward to the rest of the season with some confidence that they truly belong back in A Grade.

Tips
Creek
Strath
Cally
Lobey
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby Barkeroo » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:16 pm

Langhorne Creek got rolled for 64 but Woodside made hard work of it losing 6 wickets in chasing it down.

Maccy put up a massive fight against Lobey. Maccy falling 5 runs short in reply to Lobethals 195.

Cobras put on 221 runs which proved too much for Hahndorf.

Nairne got over Strathalbyn by 5 wickets

Looking like a good even season at this stage!
Barkeroo
Rookie

Postby jackpot jim » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:52 pm

Barkeroo wrote:Langhorne Creek got rolled for 64 but Woodside made hard work of it losing 6 wickets in chasing it down.

Maccy put up a massive fight against Lobey. Maccy falling 5 runs short in reply to Lobethals 195.

Great round results wise . All teams are on the board with at least 1 win and NO unbeaten teams.
Maccy have well and truly shown they're more than competitive in A Grade. Key will be can they keep it up?
B/Cally no surprise over Hahndorf
Strath disappointing against Nairne. My tip was way off especially about Matty Roberts who made 1 off 29 balls :shock: Jarrad Tait may have had a say in that bowling 9 overs for only 5 runs :shock:

Creeks were nothing short of embarrassing :oops: Facing one of Woodside weakest A Grades for many years with 6 1st choice players missing, Creeks didn't give a yelp at home with the bat being skittled for 64 in only 22 overs :oops: :oops: Word has it that if they actually scraped together 80 or 90 it would have been more than enough.
Mind you Creeks got skittled for 32 against Woodside a few years back and still went onto win the flag which they may well still do this season but ......................................... :roll:

On a side note it's worrying that only 4 umpires were available this week , just enough to cover the 4 A Grade games with 1 of those clearly not up to it
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby caleb777 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:13 pm

jackpot jim wrote:
Barkeroo wrote:Langhorne Creek got rolled for 64 but Woodside made hard work of it losing 6 wickets in chasing it down.

Great round results wise . All teams are on the board with at least 1 win and NO unbeaten teams.
Maccy have well and truly shown they're more than competitive in A Grade. Key will be can they keep it up?
B/Cally no surprise over Hahndorf
Strath disappointing against Nairne. My tip was way off especially about Matty Roberts who made 1 off 29 balls :shock: Jarrad Tait may have had a say in that bowling 9 overs for only 5 runs :shock:

Creeks were nothing short of embarrassing :oops: Facing one of Woodside weakest A Grades for many years with 6 1st choice players missing, Creeks didn't give a yelp at home with the bat being skittled for 64 in only 22 overs :oops: :oops: Word has it that if they actually scraped together 80 or 90 it would have been more than enough.
Mind you Creeks got skittled for 32 against Woodside a few years back and still went onto win the flag which they may well still do this season but ......................................... :roll:

On a side note it's worrying that only 4 umpires were available this week , just enough to cover the 4 A Grade games with 1 of those clearly not up to it

Its definitely going to be an up and down year for the Magpies. Looking at the 12 from the Flag a few years ago only 4 of those blokes who played on saturday are still there. Good chance for some of the younger blokes who have showed a bit in the a2s to have a crack this year like Young Hass and Young Baker plus Lachie Hux. Will be good to get Bradey Judd back in that side at some point as well. The bowling unit still has the potential to do some damage but need early wickets to put pressure on.

Jim dont forget Creeks got rolled for 32 last season as well.
caleb777
Under 16s

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 19 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps