Adelaide Hills Cricket (HCA, TVCA & A&EH)

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Adelaide Hills Cricket (HCA, TVCA & A&EH)

Postby jackpot jim » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:00 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:James Smith playing for Nairne tomorrow at Langhorne Creek

Made 57 off 53 balls (5 x 4s, 2 x 6s)

Reports are that his batting was a class act with effortless timing of the ball being a feature.
Mind you the Creek bowling attack is a bit depleted atm
Reports are that he wont play every week but certainly enough to qualify for Finals which will make Nairne a VERY short priced favorite for the flag yet again.
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 444 times

Postby Buffet bowler » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:18 pm

Well after 4 rounds In the AEHCA I see that the usual suspects are up at the top, too early to say this will be the top 4? Wouldn't be surprised to see lobey displace strath. Unfortunately it looks like hahndorf, ashbourne and wistow will be the guys occupying the bottom 3.....
Buffet bowler
Mini-League

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:02 pm

Whats the story behind Rose Park now playing in the TVCA?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:09 pm

Dutchy wrote:Whats the story behind Rose Park now playing in the TVCA?

Were playing C&CCA out of St Pauls College.
St Pauls were charging Rose Park a fortune for what they were getting (practically nothing).
C&CCA obviously is on the decline, and the competition had become a bit stale - many Rose Park players were growing tired of it.
Few of the Rose Park lads were tied up with Houghton Footy Club, and they had reached an agreement to play cricket there this summer instead of St Pauls.
A number of the players decided that moving to Houghton should also coincide with a move to TVCA - new comp, new challenges, new start.

It's my understanding they discussed it at length whether to stay in C&CCA or move to TVCA - but the fact was after dominating C&CCA D1 for a length of time and the competition becoming stale, boring and declining in standard, their better group of A graders were not interested in staying in that comp, and a move was the only way to retain them.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:13 pm

The Bedge wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Whats the story behind Rose Park now playing in the TVCA?

Were playing C&CCA out of St Pauls College.
St Pauls were charging Rose Park a fortune for what they were getting (practically nothing).
C&CCA obviously is on the decline, and the competition had become a bit stale - many Rose Park players were growing tired of it.
Few of the Rose Park lads were tied up with Houghton Footy Club, and they had reached an agreement to play cricket there this summer instead of St Pauls.
A number of the players decided that moving to Houghton should also coincide with a move to TVCA - new comp, new challenges, new start.

It's my understanding they discussed it at length whether to stay in C&CCA or move to TVCA - but the fact was after dominating C&CCA D1 for a length of time and the competition becoming stale, boring and declining in standard, their better group of A graders were not interested in staying in that comp, and a move was the only way to retain them.

Cheers, was reading the Hills Courier yesterday and thought it was a misprint!
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby jackpot jim » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:28 am

Buffet bowler wrote:Well after 4 rounds In the AEHCA I see that the usual suspects are up at the top, too early to say this will be the top 4? Wouldn't be surprised to see lobey displace strath. Unfortunately it looks like hahndorf, ashbourne and wistow will be the guys occupying the bottom 3.....

No surprise to see things very similar to last year

Nairne and Woodside already look to have a mortgage on a Top 2 spot with Creek, Strath and Lobey battling out 3rd and 4th as they did last year. Lobey dropping a game to Wistow could be costly come seasons end.
Creeks so far have had 5 - 6 changes each round so far and that trend looks like continuing for the next month so could be vulnerable in dropping a game against the likes of Wistow, Strath and Ashbourne which one would think they'd start favorite in each of them.
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby saintal » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:14 am

A month into the TVCA season:

Paracombe (4-0)- Appear to have picked up a couple of handy recruits, top order making plenty of runs
Lenswood (3-0)- Bowling a lot better than last year, top order making runs
Gumeracha (3-1)- No B Grade side this year which leaves their A’s little unsettled. Still have some very handy contributors.
Mt Torrens (2-2)- If they can field their best side will be very competitive, especially with the ball

Palmer (1-2)- Slow start for the reigning champs but no cause for concern
Cambrai (1-3)- Have missed arguably 3 of their 4 most important players in the early stages of this season and its showed
Rose Park (1-2)- Difficult to get a read on where they sit, inconsistent start for the new-comers
Eden Valley (1-2)- Opening round win followed by a couple of one-sided losses. Lacking depth.
Birdwood (0-4)- Reasonably competitive but still searching for an elusive win
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:26 pm

Good to see a few TVCA clubs fielding junior teams. Cambrai, Brdwood, Lenswood and Mt Pleasant/Springton all have Under 12 teams in the Alexandra & Eastern competition while Gumeracha has an Under 14 team.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby saintal » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:28 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:Good to see a few TVCA clubs fielding junior teams. Cambrai, Brdwood, Lenswood and Mt Pleasant/Springton all have Under 12 teams in the Alexandra & Eastern competition while Gumeracha has an Under 14 team.

Yes, as mentioned above TVCA clubs have had a presence in the AEHCA junior grades the past few years.

Had 4 U10s teams last season also, but with the introduction of T20 Blast this season and games being played at one location (ie Strath, Cally, Nairne) this saw the likes of Birdwood and Springton withdraw. We (Lenswood) are still involved, albeit with reduced numbers, and have noticed the total number of teams/participants would be half when compared to last year, so the jury is out as to whether this was a wise move. Time will tell as they say..

Palmer has had U15s in the MTCA for a long time but that doesn’t appear to the case this year. They’ve had some good juniors come through the past 5 or 6 years.

That leaves Mt Torrens, Paracombe, Eden Valley and Rose Park without juniors.

So whilst numbers aren’t as healthy as the league would like, there has been some small steps made in the past 3 or 4 years.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Postby Tony Clifton » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:40 pm

That's interesting. Would they not just do an U10s or T20 Blast centre a bit closer to the TVCA clubs? Would have thought Gumeracha or Birdwood would be pretty popular if they want a central venue with a few clubs involved.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby saintal » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:11 pm

My understanding is that was the original idea/plan, however there were not enough clubs across the league committed to fielding sides so SACA could only justify running 1 venue/centre per week, which means a lot of travel for some clubs. Had the decision been made earlier perhaps TVCA clubs would have explored other options.

Having had a look at last Friday’s centre/games I would question whether there are any additional benefits of this model over the traditional home and away U10 format which appeared healthy in recent seasons (14-16 sides usually, with good numbers flowing onto the U12s).
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Postby Tony Clifton » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:48 pm

saintal wrote:My understanding is that was the original idea/plan, however there were not enough clubs across the league committed to fielding sides so SACA could only justify running 1 venue/centre per week, which means a lot of travel for some clubs. Had the decision been made earlier perhaps TVCA clubs would have explored other options.

Having had a look at last Friday’s centre/games I would question whether there are any additional benefits of this model over the traditional home and away U10 format which appeared healthy in recent seasons (14-16 sides usually, with good numbers flowing onto the U12s).

Yeah it's a tricky one. I get that they want their flagship programs to be adopted widely, promoted strongly and be a consistent product across Australia. But it doesn't leave room for area-specific programs that grow organically, suit the population & demographic, and may have been running successfully previously.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby whufc » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:02 pm

Hows Nathaniel Brookes going at Wistow
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:30 pm

saintal wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:Good to see a few TVCA clubs fielding junior teams. Cambrai, Brdwood, Lenswood and Mt Pleasant/Springton all have Under 12 teams in the Alexandra & Eastern competition while Gumeracha has an Under 14 team.

Yes, as mentioned above TVCA clubs have had a presence in the AEHCA junior grades the past few years.

Had 4 U10s teams last season also, but with the introduction of T20 Blast this season and games being played at one location (ie Strath, Cally, Nairne) this saw the likes of Birdwood and Springton withdraw. We (Lenswood) are still involved, albeit with reduced numbers, and have noticed the total number of teams/participants would be half when compared to last year, so the jury is out as to whether this was a wise move. Time will tell as they say..

Palmer has had U15s in the MTCA for a long time but that doesn’t appear to the case this year. They’ve had some good juniors come through the past 5 or 6 years.

That leaves Mt Torrens, Paracombe, Eden Valley and Rose Park without juniors.

So whilst numbers aren’t as healthy as the league would like, there has been some small steps made in the past 3 or 4 years.

It is encouraging to see some of those teams have juniors, but I don't understand this, if encouraging juniors and parents to cricket on a Saturday morning is a problem, with the distances between these towns and AECHA (except for Woodside and Lobey). Unless Gum is all 14 yo, I don't understand why there is not a TVCA comp, and you could probably find enough other 12-13 yo's to make a sixth team. I don't see the great difference between u/12 and u/14 in a country cricket sense - I played u/16 when I was 7, then 8 playing u/15, and when finally got an u/13 comp was still only 10, seniors at 11.

Where are Paracombe at with there juniors? They have generally always had strong numbers.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby Roxy the Rat Girl » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:11 pm

The Ashbourne Hall Committee and Ashbourne Cricket Club have put forward a joint project in the $40 Million Fund My Neighbourhood program to upgrade the facilities at Ashbourne Oval that will support the Ashbourne Cricket Club and a wide range of other community organisations and groups, including the school, within the Ashbourne Community and surrounding districts.

Ashbourne Oval is is a dedicated cricket oval and whilst it sits in picturesque surrounds with turf pitches and a wonderfully grassed field, our clubroom facilities leave a lot to be desired, in fact, we currently have none.

The proposed project would see the existing hall extended to create a covered indoor/outdoor dining area and servery, overlooking the cricket ground to provide facilities for use by the whole community, and importantly for us, clubhouse facilities for the Cricket Club. This is therefore a very important project for the development and future of the Ashbourne Cricket Club. See attached image of the current dilapidated 3m x 3m facility that we use as our clubhouse facilities. Anyone who has played at Ashbourne in the last 25 years would confirm that improved facilities are required.

We would be extremely grateful if you could promote this to your clubs and associations so that in the spirit of cricket, they can give us the much needed support we require to secure the funding for the project and improve our facilities.

All people need to do is vote for the project before Monday 20 November. Here’s how to vote:
1. Log in or register on the Fund My Neighbourhood website. You will need your phone handy (you’ll be sent a four-digit code to enter on the website).
2. Choose your location by dropping a pin on the map, or typing in your street address. (Ashbourne)
3. Once you have chosen your location, you will be able to see projects that you can vote for.
4. We would be grateful if one of your votes went to the Ashbourne War Memorial Hall Extension at https://fundmyneighbourhood.yoursay.sa.gov.au/rounds/fund-my-neighbourhood-2017/ideas/ashbourne-war-memorial-hall-extension
5. Voting closes at 5pm, Monday 20 November.

Thank you for your assistance with this venture as we need as many votes as possible to secure the funding to provide desperately needed club room facilities for players and supporters at Ashbourne Oval, and for the wider Ashbourne Community.
Attachments
Ashbourne Club house.jpg
Ashbourne Club house.jpg (19.06 KiB) Viewed 1935 times
"cricket is the most important activity in men's lives, the most important thread in the fabric of the cosmos"
Roxy the Rat Girl
Under 18s

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 34 times
Grassroots Team: Langhorne Creek

Postby Trader » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:19 am

Good luck with the upgrade Roxy. Certainly needed!
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Roxy the Rat Girl » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:15 pm

thanks Trader, it certainly is needed and every vote we receive is a step closer to it becoming a reality.
"cricket is the most important activity in men's lives, the most important thread in the fabric of the cosmos"
Roxy the Rat Girl
Under 18s

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 34 times
Grassroots Team: Langhorne Creek

Postby saintal » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:32 am

FlyingHigh wrote:[b]
saintal wrote:

It is encouraging to see some of those teams have juniors, but I don't understand this, if encouraging juniors and parents to cricket on a Saturday morning is a problem, with the distances between these towns and AECHA (except for Woodside and Lobey). Unless Gum is all 14 yo, I don't understand why there is not a TVCA comp, and you could probably find enough other 12-13 yo's to make a sixth team. I don't see the great difference between u/12 and u/14 in a country cricket sense - I played u/16 when I was 7, then 8 playing u/15, and when finally got an u/13 comp was still only 10, seniors at 11.

Where are Paracombe at with there juniors? They have generally always had strong numbers.

It’s a fair question. From a Lenswood point of view, we like the stability that being associated with AEHCA brings. We know that every year there will a viable competition for all age groups. Previous to this we were always waiting til the last minute for TVCA clubs to nominate junior sides and then were left in a comp with no more than 2 or 3 opposition sides.

AEHCA are good with their programming, with U12s for example split into North and South regions. So at worst a TVCA club will travel to Hahndorf or Nairne, and vise-versa. The shift from traditional U10s to T20Blast has been the only real headache since we’ve joined AEHCA- as discussed earlier.

Gum haven’t had U12s for a few years, so presumably their U14s team is too advanced/old for U12s.

Paracombe haven’t had juniors for the past 2 or 3 years. A club rep remarked last season that the 'kids are there', but finding a coach/parent to organise is the battle.

Like you I started my cricket as an 8 or 9yo playing U14s as we didn’t have any other sides. This was the norm, but now is the exception. I also think kids are more willing to play elsewhere in order to find a suitable age-group (ie Lobey or Woodside in our case)
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:58 pm

Hey Jackpot Jim, what's happening down at the creek? Hearing your 3rds can't get a team tomorrow, that right?
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby jackpot jim » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:12 pm

Corona Man wrote:Hey Jackpot Jim, what's happening down at the creek? Hearing your 3rds can't get a team tomorrow, that right?

Unfortunately correct
Very disappointing
1st time i can ever remember having to forfeit a Senior team
Have a total of at least 22 Senior players (Including 10 A Graders) unavailable this week plus 3 under 14s that have filled in the last week or 2 are also unavailable.
Work commitments is the main Problem along with the Handpicked Festival next door that has accounted for about half a dozen as well as any fill ins that we may have got.
Had 16 available for B and D Grade

Certainly didnt make the decision lightly as it was 1 of only 3 HOME games for our D Grade.
Im sure it will only be a 1 off Forfeit
Were you looking at having a game on the Turf?
jackpot jim
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps