ATCA

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: ATCA 2014/15.

Postby thevoice » Fri May 15, 2015 2:43 pm

Isn't Pulteney in the toilet too? Last I heard they were wanting to drop down to A3 as their 3 best players were retiring / leaving?
thevoice
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri May 15, 2015 2:53 pm

I've held off posting this, as it felt like bad timing, given the discussion about AHOS.

However, Trinity College Old Scholars are looking for a coach. We're a good club, with a short but strong history and are looking for someone to help us take the next step.

If this is something you might be interested in, PM me and I'll get the details to you.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Shark_Hunter » Fri May 15, 2015 3:47 pm

Just putting it out there. Is it time to consider a season long T20 only comp? Not a fan of it myself, but it might keep older blokes with families involved longer and be more attractive for young guys coming out of juniors. Even if it was played fortnightly rather than weekly. Easier to get fill-ins etc. I think there will always be a demand for both the 2 and 1 day comps, but is this the next step to keep more people playing cricket?
Shark_Hunter
Under 16s

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Fri May 15, 2015 4:59 pm

Shark_Hunter wrote:Just putting it out there. Is it time to consider a season long T20 only comp? Not a fan of it myself, but it might keep older blokes with families involved longer and be more attractive for young guys coming out of juniors. Even if it was played fortnightly rather than weekly. Easier to get fill-ins etc. I think there will always be a demand for both the 2 and 1 day comps, but is this the next step to keep more people playing cricket?

A fortnightly T20 competition played on Friday nights or something would be GOLD. In England they have a lot of these sort of competitions which keep older players around the club. Easier on the body.

I know pitches cop a caning but we'd only be talking one home game a month.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby helicopterking » Fri May 15, 2015 8:14 pm

Shark_Hunter wrote:Just putting it out there. Is it time to consider a season long T20 only comp? Not a fan of it myself, but it might keep older blokes with families involved longer and be more attractive for young guys coming out of juniors. Even if it was played fortnightly rather than weekly. Easier to get fill-ins etc. I think there will always be a demand for both the 2 and 1 day comps, but is this the next step to keep more people playing cricket?

Interesting idea, but how serious would most clubs take it, especially if your towards the bottom of the ladder in the 2nd half of the comp.
I think it's up to the club to create an environment where families feel welcome, and if families get to know each other better, then the blokes will be able squeeze a few more years out of themselves and their missus'.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 667 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Fri May 15, 2015 11:07 pm

Five hours playing time plus before/after x every week of the season is too much for older players physically and too much of an ask vs family.

The odd Friday night is easier on the body and families can come down to watch, have tea, bbq. Great social event. They get great numbers/atmosphere for the kids' Friday night T20's.

Clubs wouldn't take it that seriously and nor do they need to. The serious cricket is Saturdays. They're usually friendlies in England.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Trader » Sun May 17, 2015 7:11 pm

Have previously considered something along these lines, the issue as I see it will be that generally club's A-grade will just end up playing more cricket, and it won't actually provide any extra opportunities for the older or new guys.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Jetters » Sun May 17, 2015 8:34 pm

thevoice wrote:Isn't Pulteney in the toilet too? Last I heard they were wanting to drop down to A3 as their 3 best players were retiring / leaving?

Pulteney will be A3 next year.
Jetters
Reserves

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 119 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby helicopterking » Sun May 17, 2015 8:37 pm

Jetters wrote:
thevoice wrote:Isn't Pulteney in the toilet too? Last I heard they were wanting to drop down to A3 as their 3 best players were retiring / leaving?

I find this a bit weak.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 667 times

Postby Jetters » Sun May 17, 2015 8:44 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:Five hours playing time plus before/after x every week of the season is too much for older players physically and too much of an ask vs family.

The odd Friday night is easier on the body and families can come down to watch, have tea, bbq. Great social event. They get great numbers/atmosphere for the kids' Friday night T20's.

Clubs wouldn't take it that seriously and nor do they need to. The serious cricket is Saturdays. They're usually friendlies in England.

I think this line of thinking is brilliant.

Crickets biggest threat, but also one of its charms, is its attachment to tradition. The product we offer is highly time consuming, expensive and 2 day cricket is a pretty niche market; the majority of people don't want to spend that long in the field and only get a hit every second week.

We don't offer a product for the social, yet competitive sports lover. We offer T20 but only as an add on for Saturday players. I think we look at a very modified version of the game run mid week, over a short season or games every fortnight, 8-a-side, 16 overs, pairs cricket. I would limit the amount of Saturday playing players, maybe only a couple to use as top ups.

Think about your footy clubs, how many love cricket, watch it on tv, attend games, but would hate the idea of spending 6 hours doing it on a saturday. Most people want to bowl a couple of overs, try to slog a few for 6, then drink beers with their mates; yet we don't offer this. This format would bring new members to clubs and bring cricket fans back to playing the game. I would play it over 8 weeks in Jan/Feb when there's long daylight hours and high interest in cricket following the BBL.
Jetters
Reserves

Postby rainbow warrior » Mon May 18, 2015 10:25 am

Tony Clifton wrote:Clubs wouldn't take it that seriously and nor do they need to. The serious cricket is Saturdays. They're usually friendlies in England.

I never got the concept o friendly match when I was playing over there in the UK but maybe that is just me. I took every game too seriously.
rainbow warrior
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 4 times

Postby rainbow warrior » Mon May 18, 2015 10:28 am

helicopterking wrote:
Jetters wrote:

I find this a bit weak.

I tend to agree. Good opportunity for young blokes to step up and have a crack at higher level cricket. If they lose they lose but get the experience and get to experience the hurt of relegation which would be good for them internally in the long run if they have any intestinal fortitude. Can only be good for their cricket playing in better competition.
rainbow warrior
Rookie

Postby Jetters » Mon May 18, 2015 12:22 pm

rainbow warrior wrote:
helicopterking wrote:
Jetters wrote:

I find this a bit weak.

I tend to agree. Good opportunity for young blokes to step up and have a crack at higher level cricket. If they lose they lose but get the experience and get to experience the hurt of relegation which would be good for them internally in the long run if they have any intestinal fortitude. Can only be good for their cricket playing in better competition.

You are not allowed to be in A1 or A2 without a B grade 2 day side... which they can't field
Jetters
Reserves

Postby Tony Clifton » Mon May 18, 2015 1:38 pm

rainbow warrior wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:Clubs wouldn't take it that seriously and nor do they need to. The serious cricket is Saturdays. They're usually friendlies in England.

I never got the concept o friendly match when I was playing over there in the UK but maybe that is just me. I took every game too seriously.

Friendlies is just a name!

It just means not playing for premiership points. You're right that often these games are taken quite seriously by the participants and that's a good thing.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Tony Clifton » Mon May 18, 2015 1:39 pm

Trader wrote:Have previously considered something along these lines, the issue as I see it will be that generally club's A-grade will just end up playing more cricket, and it won't actually provide any extra opportunities for the older or new guys.

Your point is valid - it needs to be completely separate teams/competition. Not just an add-on to the A Grade schedule.

Clubs would only enter a team if they legitimately had a couple of past players willing to run/organise the team themselves.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby heater31 » Mon May 18, 2015 1:43 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:
rainbow warrior wrote:

It just means not playing for premiership points. You're right that often these games are taken quite seriously by the participants and that's a good thing.

The poms use it as match practice......
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby thevoice » Mon May 18, 2015 2:05 pm

A dedicated T20 comp will just put further nails in 2 day Crickets coffins and we should avoid any more nails at all costs. I reckon the marginal non-committed players might chose T20 over 2 day. Most clubs efforts for T20's on Tuesday nights are terrible. From what I've seen (haven't been out north/south much) only three teams Grange, Pembroke & Fulham actually use these games to benefit their club ie. open bar, get supporters down, bbq, music etc. Use Tuesday nights as an opportunity to get the families, kids training and bbq on! People are time poor these days, so you won't get the same blokes playing Friday and Saturdays. Tuesday nights are good as you would be training anyway.
thevoice
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby human_torpedo » Mon May 18, 2015 3:44 pm

Don't mind the idea of the t20 comp, just have concerns how it would go if played midweek.. I know it was hard for a lot of people to get to the games by 5.20 in the existing comp.. A Sunday comp with 1 game every 3/4 weeks starting about 2pm? That's merely just an idea that popped into my head anyway..

IMO, which will no doubt be probably shot down in flames, I think all grades below A4 should be One Day competitions.. Or at least at a minimum C1-C3 should be scrapped and made into 1 day comps, player participation is on the decline and its tough to get players to fill in for 2 day cricket for a lot of clubs, bar the obvious strong clubs who have 4 two day sides
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Postby rainbow warrior » Mon May 18, 2015 3:54 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:
rainbow warrior wrote:

I remember them getting quite concerned with me sledging Pakistani teams for some reasons and saying it is just a friendly, unfortunately I knew no other way and am hot headed when I bowl and compete and couldn't help myself. Got them quite concerned, and I was thinking "This is a cricket match isn't it?"
rainbow warrior
Rookie

Postby Tony Clifton » Mon May 18, 2015 5:11 pm

heater31 wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:
rainbow warrior wrote:

The poms use it as match practice......

No they don't. Barely any A Graders choose to play. They've got Sunday leagues if they want extra games.

And for the veterans it's their one playing outlet
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps