Junior Cricket Development

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Junior Cricket Development

Postby Jetters » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:32 am

I know in our junior footy comp the rules have recently undergone heaps of modification in an attempt to make the game more age appropriate for kids and encourage skill development, even contribution and fun.

Cricket doesn't seem to be doing this. If you look at u9 scores from the weekend you seem the vast majority of runs coming from extras, mainly wides and no balls (so half the balls bowled are useless to the batter) and most kids can't score more than 1 or 2 runs.

Should junior cricket be more modified or is the current approach, of playing a quite an unmodified game the right option?
Jetters
Reserves

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 119 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Re: Junior Cricket Development

Postby Tony Clifton » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:48 am

Definitely need shorter pitches. Kids can't bowl all that way.

Argument comes back that Oh, they need to learn to bowl on a full length pitch :roll:

Really? Should they be using adult bats then...

Must be a boring game with all those wides. How many balls can the batters actually reach?
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 243 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby heater31 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:56 am

Just on the elite u/13 competition Ray Sutton Shield teams are averaging 20 sundries per innings.

Maybe the age groups below 10 have a case but certainly by age 10 you should be able to land the ball on the spot 4 or 5 times out of 6.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Corona Man » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:28 am

Good point. I have not seen any "organised" cricket below the U/12 age bracket. Even at that age a good number of the bowlers struggle to hit the pitch. This is frustrating not only for the bowlers, but the batters as well. I can only imagine its a bigger problems at lower age brackets. Common sense is make the pitch 2/3 the length. Its about the kids enjoyment at this age, and if they are only capable of wide after wide on the full length pitch then no one benefits at all. The kids want to hit the ball, or the stumps.... simple!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Brumbies » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:19 pm

In NEJCA Under 9's comp, any player who can't bowl the full length is allowed to bowl from a shorter distance.
Last year was our first time with an Under 9's team. At the start of the season most of them struggled to bowl the full length and were bowling mainly wides and no balls. By the end of the season nearly all of the kids could bowl the full length, and more often than not bowl a legal delivery.

Personally, I think Under 9's is too young for hard ball cricket. The T20 Blast stuff that Cricket Australia / SACA are running probably is about right for this age group.
Brumbies

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Pooraka

Postby Jetters » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:59 pm

Just checked, from Round 1 from NEJCA U9:

70% of runs were extras - 65% wides/NBs
40% of kids didnt score a run
Not 1 kid took a catch for the round
1 player scored double figures for the round

I am clearly in favour of the modified format.....
Jetters
Reserves

Postby jo172 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:26 pm

I played my earlier cricket through the schools system (up to age 13 before i started playing both).

From memory when we were 7-9 we played kanga cricket with the plastic bats, balls, stumps etc. where you couldn't get out. From memory that was a pretty good way of learning to play the game. Also two pitches would go on at once which meant you were never sitting around watching your team mates bat. Ideal for that age group.

We then graduated to "average" cricket which had similar rules except the teams would take turns to bat and you graduated to more real equipment.

Only come age 12-13 did we ever approach something like a proper game of cricket and I don't think it did any harm.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Footy Smart » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:05 pm

jo172 wrote:I played my earlier cricket through the schools system (up to age 13 before i started playing both).

From memory when we were 7-9 we played kanga cricket with the plastic bats, balls, stumps etc. where you couldn't get out. From memory that was a pretty good way of learning to play the game. Also two pitches would go on at once which meant you were never sitting around watching your team mates bat. Ideal for that age group.

We then graduated to "average" cricket which had similar rules except the teams would take turns to bat and you graduated to more real equipment.

Only come age 12-13 did we ever approach something like a proper game of cricket and I don't think it did any harm.

Yep school cricket was for little fellas, then U13s was the first you could play real matches. My dad who played a reasonable level of cricket himself was even sceptical of me playing at 12 years of age.
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby heater31 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:35 pm

Footy Smart wrote:
jo172 wrote:I played my earlier cricket through the schools system (up to age 13 before i started playing both).

Yep school cricket was for little fellas, then U13s was the first you could play real matches. My dad who played a reasonable level of cricket himself was even sceptical of me playing at 12 years of age.

Yeah reckon I was almost 10 when I played 'proper' cricket for the first time. Mind you it was a small country association where the big kids were almost 16! Just went to training before that, no kanga or modified garbage for me.

Didn't do much just fielded for my first game and maybe bowled an over or two. Remember our captain bowled the opposition captain first ball of the match.

Full circle when I was 15/16 we had to retire on 25 runs so we would count then try to smash a 4 or 6 when on 24. Almost ran a 5 one day when I played a straight drive a small kid had to chase it. This is how my sister also got started in cricket aged 9 or 10 she offered to fill in for the opposition who were one short after the old boy arking up for a few seconds let her play. She went onto play for the state!
heater31

Postby Tony Clifton » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:22 pm

Is one of the issues that schools offer the modified stuff so clubs feel they need to offer the 'real' stuff?
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Jetters » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:38 pm

For mine it is because old traditionalists types think a modified, small sided game isnt 'real cricket' and that their child is way more advanced than what they actually are.

Same issue as with footy, people are stuck in their old ways and do not take time to educate themselves on how kids sport is progressing.
Jetters
Reserves

Postby The Hound » Fri May 13, 2016 4:38 pm

Interesting to hear a couple of ATCA clubs want to set up a new junior competition, south of the city :roll:
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Sat May 14, 2016 2:21 am

Don't they already have one?
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby The Hound » Sun May 15, 2016 10:26 am

Tony Clifton wrote:Don't they already have one?

Yes they do, South Central Junior Cricket Association which has clubs from Premier Grade, Adelaide Turf and Adelaide & Suburban comps across 3 age groups.
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby heater31 » Sun May 15, 2016 5:05 pm

The Hound wrote:

Yes they do, South Central Junior Cricket Association which has clubs from Premier Grade, Adelaide Turf and Adelaide & Suburban comps across 3 age groups.

I'm not across the reasoning behind the break away. Are they just unhappy at how the competition is run? Who is in charge of South Central these days?
heater31

Postby Keefy » Sun May 15, 2016 6:17 pm

heater31 wrote:
The Hound wrote:

I'm not across the reasoning behind the break away. Are they just unhappy at how the competition is run? Who is in charge of South Central these days?

I think half the recent committe have 'retired' as their tenure was up. I think the meeting is coming up this week
Keefy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 181 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby Dutchy » Mon May 16, 2016 2:43 pm

The Hound wrote:

plus some HCA clubs
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Mon May 16, 2016 8:38 pm

Maybe the clubs want to have all their junior teams play in South Central even in the older age groups?

Some clubs have U/15 and U/17 teams in Adelaide Turf but their younger teams in South Central. Probably makes sense to run them in the same competition plus saves them some travel.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Keefy » Mon May 16, 2016 9:04 pm

If those U/15 and U/17 teams come to South Central then they have to enter as U/16.

SCJCA doesnt have an U/18 comp
Keefy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 181 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby Brumbies » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:12 pm

Looks like there are some pretty significant changes to junior cricket on the way.

http://community.cricket.com.au/clubs/junior-formats/format-summary

Have been told that it is been trialed in several associations across the eastern states this year and will likely be introduced here next year.

I don't mind some of the changes in the younger grades, but I can't agree with having Under 15's playing 9 a side cricket.
Brumbies

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Pooraka

Next

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps