PDCA

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: PDCA 2016 - 2017

Postby Slowleftarm » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:50 am

The Bedge wrote:History? **** me, I hate most sides I play against but to reach a point where hands are thrown and it escalates into a brawl is pathetic. It’s cricket - if you feel the need to resort to that sort of behaviour then you should be having a good hard look at yourself.

I don’t care if a bloke cheated or you felt robbed or the umpire was poor or whatever, there is no excuse.

Knowing you Bedge, you'd sit back with a beer and still take the piss out of them
Slowleftarm

Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 19 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Burr

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:31 pm

Forecast 40 degrees at the moment for Saturday, hopefully stays that way haha!

If we get heated out, Enfield 'C' in Grade 4 would've done the incredible great escape and managed to avoid Dublin @ Dublin twice this year (first time due to covid).. Not that they mind playing Dublin - and the ground is awesome - but the travel was a concern pre-season :lol:

In other news, i've heard Para Vista might actually be considering moving back into two day cricket from next season - and eyeing off a spot in Grade 2... also heard the support for 6 team divisions is growing given the increasing gap between top and bottom sides in divisions.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3996 times

Postby whufc » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:10 pm

The Bedge wrote:Forecast 40 degrees at the moment for Saturday, hopefully stays that way haha!

If we get heated out, Enfield 'C' in Grade 4 would've done the incredible great escape and managed to avoid Dublin @ Dublin twice this year (first time due to covid).. Not that they mind playing Dublin - and the ground is awesome - but the travel was a concern pre-season :lol:

In other news, i've heard Para Vista might actually be considering moving back into two day cricket from next season - and eyeing off a spot in Grade 2... also heard the support for 6 team divisions is growing given the increasing gap between top and bottom sides in divisions.

Would a 6 team comp mean PDCA loses 4 games a year or would you no longer have the play 1 in an 2 Dayer, play 1 in a one dayer system. That is by far the fairest format for any competition.

Im generally in favour of the 6 team comp and I think PDCA can make it work, my experience in the Stanley comp with 6 teams wasn't great though but that's different circumstances (no relegation/promotion), 1 clear stand out side in the comp.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5586 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:20 pm

whufc wrote:
The Bedge wrote:Forecast 40 degrees at the moment for Saturday, hopefully stays that way haha!

Would a 6 team comp mean PDCA loses 4 games a year or would you no longer have the play 1 in an 2 Dayer, play 1 in a one dayer system. That is by far the fairest format for any competition.

Im generally in favour of the 6 team comp and I think PDCA can make it work, my experience in the Stanley comp with 6 teams wasn't great though but that's different circumstances (no relegation/promotion), 1 clear stand out side in the comp.

1 two dayer, 1 one dayer and 1 T20 would be my guess and recommendation, have three separate trophies too.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:32 pm

I would favor the current Grade 4 setup - 5x 2 day games, 10x 1 day games, 2 day finals and and extra week off at xmas.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:46 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:

1 two dayer, 1 one dayer and 1 T20 would be my guess and recommendation, have three separate trophies too.

That would be amazing!!!
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:46 pm

The Bedge wrote:I would favor the current Grade 4 setup - 5x 2 day games, 10x 1 day games, 2 day finals and and extra week off at xmas.

Sorry LM wins this round!!
whufc
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:57 pm

whufc wrote:
The Bedge wrote:I would favor the current Grade 4 setup - 5x 2 day games, 10x 1 day games, 2 day finals and and extra week off at xmas.

**** him. :lol:
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:08 pm

The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:

**** him. :lol:

Buy me a drink first.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Old Fellow » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:28 pm

Bedge to be the winner.

5 two dayers, 5 one dayers and 5 T20 with separate finals (semi and grand) in a six team comp sounds great but that equates to 28 playing days up from the current 25 (21 minor + 2 semi and 2 grand finals). Either format you would need semis to keep more teams interested. Trying to have double headers for the T20's may be a nightmare depending on location of teams and longer days. In the past a majority haven't been overly interested in playing T20's, me included as the travel to and back home could nearly equal 3 hours of playing time. Batting down the order and not bowling so becoming a professional fielder doesn't warrant getting out of bed.

So Bedge is the winner suggesting a similar format to grade 4.
The Old Fellow
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 24 times
Grassroots Team: Barmera-Monash

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:36 pm

The Old Fellow wrote:

Bedge to be the winner.

5 two dayers, 5 one dayers and 5 T20 with separate finals (semi and grand) in a six team comp sounds great but that equates to 28 playing days up from the current 25 (21 minor + 2 semi and 2 grand finals). Either format you would need semis to keep more teams interested. Trying to have double headers for the T20's may be a nightmare depending on location of teams and longer days. In the past a majority haven't been overly interested in playing T20's, me included as the travel to and back home could nearly equal 3 hours of playing time. Batting down the order and not bowling so becoming a professional fielder doesn't warrant getting out of bed.

Double headers for the T20's.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:39 pm

The Old Fellow wrote:

Bedge to be the winner.

Each team should only play 1 T20 in a day. Wouldn't bother trying to get teams to pack up and move grounds to play another game.

Imagine if a club like Salisbury West could have A & B grade play on the main oval, C & D grade play on the small oval first game at 12pm second game at 3pm. All four clubs at home...….what a day that would be and surely a massive opportunity for a club to promote the crap out of their club whilst trying to make it a massive income day.

Whilst I personally don't like the t20 format as a player its hard to deny its popularity and in the same sense T20 brings families to cricket I could see T20 being a gateway for casual players to have a crack. Once playing t20 I could see many wanting to have a go at the 'real' thing.

I think the separate competitions is a must. It's hard enough to get players at the best of time, nevermind when your 0-4 to start your year. If you can extend the length of time a team has a chance to 'make finals' that can only be a good thing. I would imagine it would be fairly 'refreshing' if you were bottom of the 2 day comp to then begin the '1 dayers' and almost get to start your season again. Once again I only see this as a benefit for the club.
whufc
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:58 pm

I don't think T20's are as popular at community level as they were probably 5yrs ago to be honest.. in fact i'm sure last year or the year before it was proposed to include a T20 comp and almost every club shot it down.

What Old Fellow is saying is right - add finals for 3x formats and you're expanding the season.

I'd be keen on separate one day finals/comp.. only downside is you'd have to organise a Sunday game to fit it in.

Perhaps a soccer type setup for other formats would work - whoever is top after those formats is complete wins the comp for that div.. but adding finals would stretch commitment IMO.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:30 pm

The Bedge wrote:I don't think T20's are as popular at community level as they were probably 5yrs ago to be honest.. in fact i'm sure last year or the year before it was proposed to include a T20 comp and almost every club shot it down.

What Old Fellow is saying is right - add finals for 3x formats and you're expanding the season.

I'd be keen on separate one day finals/comp.. only downside is you'd have to organise a Sunday game to fit it in.

Perhaps a soccer type setup for other formats would work - whoever is top after those formats is complete wins the comp for that div.. but adding finals would stretch commitment IMO.

I think you definitely need finals, people never forgot that 'one' moment.

Potentially One Day finals could be played over one weekend. Semis on the Saturday, GF on the Sunday. They already play Saturday/Sunday for 2 day finals so I think people would make themselves available for a full weekend if there was a trophy at the end of it. It would be 160 overs on the weekend compared to 140 overs we see in 2 dayers so not ridiculous more especially given bowlers would be restricted to 16 overs on the weekend.
whufc
Coach

Postby auto » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:52 pm

If we get heated out, Enfield 'C' in Grade 4 would've done the incredible great escape and managed to avoid Dublin @ Dublin twice this year (first time due to covid).. Not that they mind playing Dublin - and the ground is awesome - but the travel was a concern pre-season [emoji38]

We will now have missed playing the bottom team twice and playing on a run fest oval, and more importantly playing against some mates.

Would imagine we will look to go up another grade next year and likely have an A and B grade. Not sure how smaller grades will affect that thought but we are a growing club so need to move up the grades.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk
auto
League - Top 5

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby auto » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:54 pm

Agreed

auto
League - Top 5

Postby whufc » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:05 pm

auto wrote:
Agreed

Is that not odd that double the games are one dayers yet that seasons champions will be crowned playing two dayers.
whufc
Coach

Postby auto » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:26 pm

whufc wrote:
auto wrote:
Agreed

Is that not odd that double the games are one dayers yet that seasons champions will be crowned playing two dayers.
Probably but personally i like the mix.

auto
League - Top 5

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:07 pm

whufc wrote:
auto wrote:
Agreed

Is it odd the Sheffield Shield is a 4 day comp, but final 5 days?
The Bedge
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:16 am

The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:
auto wrote:
Agreed

Is it odd the Sheffield Shield is a 4 day comp, but final 5 days?

Absolutely its odd but the logic is to ensure there is a result and not a draw. That isn't an issue at PDCA level.

I reckon the AFL GF should be played over 5 quarters :)
whufc
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps