PDCA

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: PDCA

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:44 pm

The Bedge wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:He's just a cheating sperm bubble, should've got one of the kids to plant one on him.

Nah, no need.. he's just managed to irritate one of the calmest characters at our club - they play each other last round of the season, expect Rackebrandt to be taking the new nut.

Find out how he likes being bumped. :lol:

Not Big Carl!!
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Richo_37 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:10 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
The Bedge wrote:Who knows what the next 12-24 months looks like for cricket in this comp - especially 2 day stuff.

Every year it continues to shrink and get tougher, more lopsided or rather standards slipping.

Who knows if North Pines and Eastern Park will persevere in the top two grades.
Who knows if Angle Vale will be in Barossa.
Who knows if Salisbury West will move to turf.

Eastern Park will re-emerge.
Pines will potentially have their A's go to Grade 3 so they will relish that.
Angle Vale and Royals to eventually move to the Barossa.
I doubt that the council will foot the bill for a turf wicket at Salisbury West and I doubt that they are financially stable enough to be able to do it themselves as well as the upkeep, I don't think the players would want to play every third week either, I think they enjoy the comradeship. ]
The Units and Smithfield are the clubs I'm most concerned about.

The Angle Vale committee has never explored options to move from PDCA. There has been chatter among some within the playing group in recent years, given the decline of PDCA, asking what would our backup plan be.
There does seem to be more noise than usual suggesting that 4-5 of the higher grade clubs are exploring options. It will be an interesting next couple of seasons. If the direction doesn't change PDCA will just be smaller clubs with 1 or 2 sides and bigger clubs C/D/E grades.
Richo_37
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Angle Vale

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:16 am

Richo_37 wrote:The Angle Vale committee has never explored options to move from PDCA. There has been chatter among some within the playing group in recent years, given the decline of PDCA, asking what would our backup plan be.
There does seem to be more noise than usual suggesting that 4-5 of the higher grade clubs are exploring options. It will be an interesting next couple of seasons. If the direction doesn't change PDCA will just be smaller clubs with 1 or 2 sides and bigger clubs C/D/E grades.

Hey mate, I didn't base my judgements on anything except my own thoughts. I think you and Eyre (along with Dublin or Virginia) would be the only clubs the Barossa would consider accepting, you guys because of your sustained success, junior player retention and development.

Angle Vale have been the 2nd strongest club since 2000 when you weigh up all facets, Eyre Royals have gone BANG since moving to their new home and losing the "pub" name, they have massive numbers but struggle for top end talent.

Virginia just keep on getting the job done, they just need to keep their juniors together and get them through the system, Dublin just seems to be the place where everyone wants to be.

Your bottom line says it all, There will end up being just the one two-day comp, Westies, Craigmore and Enfield will continue to have good numbers and occupy the top grade, ATCO will always be in good steed for many years to come given their age spread and general talent.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:00 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:I think you and Eyre (along with Dublin or Virginia) would be the only clubs the Barossa would consider accepting.

Typical Eyre Royals arrogance, believe your own hype :P :D
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:09 am

The Bedge wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:I think you and Eyre (along with Dublin or Virginia) would be the only clubs the Barossa would consider accepting.

Typical Eyre Royals arrogance, believe your own hype :P :D

Location, numbers, twin ovals.

You worry about your mob, you have a flag to win and your first dip at Grade 1.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:53 am

Thought your post was pretty fair and reasonable Bedge....

Admittedly though I think 'most' community cricket administrators would be struggling at the moment, cricket isnt in a great state. I still chat to a few mates playing in the Barossa and even they grumble about decisions made. The classic being the heat policy rule change they made recently to try and get more cricket in.

Obviously speaking for a country point of view and understand that doesnt relate to city but we have pretty much just had to accept that the leagues in this district are purely about getting games played whether that means some loosening of the rules and playing nothing but one dayers etc. It's frustrating for a passionate cricketer like myself as i see cricket becoming more and more like a rec centre social competition whilst football seems to be becoming more and more professional each year.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby The Old Fellow » Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:00 pm

Pretty harsh and savage at selection down at Enfield. Cree tons up in the A's last week and then gets dropped to the B's for this game. Travis gets a red ink 40 odd and 2 poles in the A's same game and doesn't get a game this week. :lol: Will Travis now qualify for finals now?
The Old Fellow
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 24 times
Grassroots Team: Barmera-Monash

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:22 am

The Old Fellow wrote:Pretty harsh and savage at selection down at Enfield. Cree tons up in the A's last week and then gets dropped to the B's for this game. Travis gets a red ink 40 odd and 2 poles in the A's same game and doesn't get a game this week. :lol: Will Travis now qualify for finals now?

They were closing in on Bedge's bowling and batting aggregates.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:29 am

The Old Fellow wrote:Pretty harsh and savage at selection down at Enfield. Cree tons up in the A's last week and then gets dropped to the B's for this game. Travis gets a red ink 40 odd and 2 poles in the A's same game and doesn't get a game this week. :lol: Will Travis now qualify for finals now?

They don't want to play A grade. The B grade captain got them out playing, and they're happy having a hit around in that grade with him - they came up to the A grade due to lack of availability the week before.

Travis played B grade last week also, he was unsure on availability due to work until Sat morning, and not sure he's available this week.. he also apparently copped plenty from members of his former club for coming out for a game with us which has put him off.

Yeah, he'll qualify for finals.

In a dream world, both Cree and Travis would play A grade.. and if they both came forward and said they were keen, they'd be in.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:55 am

The Bedge wrote:

They don't want to play A grade. The B grade captain got them out playing, and they're happy having a hit around in that grade with him - they came up to the A grade due to lack of availability the week before.

Travis played B grade last week also, he was unsure on availability due to work until Sat morning, and not sure he's available this week.. he also apparently copped plenty from members of his former club for coming out for a game with us which has put him off.

In a dream world, both Cree and Travis would play A grade.. and if they both came forward and said they were keen, they'd be in.

I remember when Paul was a young lad, he was very talented, our B Grade finished top one year and One Tree Hill manipulated the team sheets enough for him to qualify for the finals and play in their B's.

They came back to the club and he single-handedly destroyed our lot with bat and ball, the players were having a bit of a whinge, I said to the "looks like you got beaten by One Cree Hill", I don't think I've ever mentioned that to him though.

Fierce competitor, loved playing against him, hard to get out and rarely bowled a bad ball.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Old Fellow » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:38 pm

The Bedge wrote:

So Travis is the mysterious 11th unnamed player in Enfield's B's.

Pretty poor attitude from the members of his former club if that is so. I call their attitude as BULLS***. No player is committed to a certain club for life. If they want to move its up to the player. The members need to remember where did they get some of their own players from, including their best player, they are not all home grown.
The Old Fellow
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 24 times
Grassroots Team: Barmera-Monash

Postby The Bedge » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:38 am

The Old Fellow wrote:So Travis is the mysterious 11th unnamed player in Enfield's B's..

Yeah, left him out last week because I didn't know if he'd end up playing or not.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Observer55 » Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:00 am

Is there a precedent within PDCA playing two blokes under the same name over two matches?
Observer55

Has liked: 41 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:06 pm

Observer55 wrote:Is there a precedent within PDCA playing two blokes under the same name over two matches?

Week 1/week 2 player?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Observer55 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:16 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Observer55 wrote:Is there a precedent within PDCA playing two blokes under the same name over two matches?

Week 1/week 2 player?

Round 7 and 15
Observer55

Postby The Bedge » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:30 am

Late Friday evening, and a couple of late outs across the board, had our sides looking depleted. Our D grade staring down the barrel of another potential forfeit - terrible because those in the D team are the most committed.

Given I was out in the A grade, decided to head down and captain/score/umpire/organise the D team and at least provide an additional fielder. In the end, managed to grab two of our girls to play and when a dad rocked up from work early we had a full side.

A quick chat and mutual agreement saw Athelstone bat first on the small and quick East Torrens primary. We opened the bowling with young Kartik Sharma, and Poonam Channa, bowling to the experience of Joe Cusenza and Jason Fergusson-Stewart - the later enjoying a stellar season (now) averaging 41 and over 400 runs.

We bowled well early, and when JFS tried to bomb Channa in the 3rd over it looked like we had struck gold, as the ball ballooned off the toe of the bat to mid off.. but was promptly dropped by yours truly. I had dropped the leading run scorer, I had cost a 14yo girl her first men's wicket... and i'd embarrassed myself haha.

Not to be put off we pressed on, JFS raced to 30 before Jemma Slaap took a great catch at square leg and with the other opener Cusenza in the shed the side began to slow the run rate down. Captain Greenhalgh joined Close of the John variety and the two slowly and steadily build a match defining partnership - Greenhalgh on the way to an innings high 36, whilst Close contributed 29... both out caught looking to accelerate the scoring. Close unluckily bowled around his legs by young Kunwar Pal.

Callum Moss, Jason Kelsey and Michael Edwards played with great freedom late to push the team total up to an imposing 196.

The score seemed below par on that ground, and with a stronger batting lineup potentially getable. I had hoped our team would bat the 40 overs and acquit themselves well, perhaps set a target to score 120-140.. and if we went well enough, perhaps a win on the cards.

Unfortunately the wily experience of opener Ron Close had other ideas, as he first starved our players of runs, and then dismantled our top order.. 1.. 2.. 3.. 4.. 4 wickets down in quick succession had our side reeling. Close finishing with 4/35 off 8 had crushed our hopes early.

Young Karamvir produced a great rearguard fight back, with a swashbuckling 40 - but where Close had left off, the young Tom Cartwright picked up - bowling with great speed and accuracy he turned the screws finishing with 1/13 off 6 overs (May have deserved a second with a close LBW turned down), but arguably his best impact was at fine leg, when Karamvir closing in on his first ever 50 skied a top edge.. Greenhalgh first calling Cartwright in, then out, then in again before the kid held true.

JFS continued his good game and cleaned up the remainder, and the Enfield side was all out for 96 in the 28th over.

From a personal point of view, was nice to enjoy a much slower and less intense game of cricket, and played in a completely different level of competitiveness than usual. Game was played in good spirits, the Athelstone folks were incredibly supportive and respectful to our young players and girls and overall was a thoroughly enjoyable match off cricket.

Not sure LO5 is for me long term, but I am glad I got to spend the afternoon down there with a great group of players (from both sides), and young players who are just happy to be playing cricket, not chasing personal glory - or even wins - just spending a Saturday afternoon with mates having a laugh and a game of cricket.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:42 am

T20 Quarter Finals
Craigmore made the most of their second life (dumbest rule ever), defeating Salisbury West in their clash, whilst Dublin easily accounted for Eastern Park who turned up for this match. Angle Vale had a hard fought win over North Pines, and Enfield made easy work of Eyre Royals - but not without it's controversy and tears.. setting up an interesting encounter in 2 weeks time.

Angle Vale 7/85 def North Pines 8/84
Dublin 6/104 def Eastern Park 7/100
Enfield 4/149 def Eyre Royals 7/144
Craigmore 4/156 def Salisbury West 6/153

Interestingly 3 of the last 4 sides are the same as last year - perhaps history will repeat and Enfield will be required to try and overcome the powerhouse sides of Angle Vale (SF) and Dublin (GF) to claim the prize.

Or will Craigmore trump all on their return? You'd have to be dirty if you won your way through to the GF only to be beaten by a side who were KO'd in the 1st round.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:17 pm

Observer55 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Week 1/week 2 player?

Round 7 and 15

Stop talking in riddles. :lol:
The Bedge
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:30 pm

Not critising or saying anything untoward was happening but found it odd Justin Davies played b grade.

Made 19 and 6 opening the batting in both innings (SW bowled out for 27 in the second innings.....could it be clubs lowest ever score??)

Bowled 8 overs in the innings 0/23 so bowled well enough but they used 8 bowlers in the innings out of the 34 overs.

Is he carrying an injury....or what was going on there. Was just really weird to read on a Sunday morning.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Observer55 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:45 pm

whufc wrote:Not critising or saying anything untoward was happening but found it odd Justin Davies played b grade.

Made 19 and 6 opening the batting in both innings (SW bowled out for 27 in the second innings.....could it be clubs lowest ever score??)

Bowled 8 overs in the innings 0/23 so bowled well enough but they used 8 bowlers in the innings out of the 34 overs.

Is he carrying an injury....or what was going on there. Was just really weird to read on a Sunday morning.

Tore/strained Medial Ligament.

Has 4 weeks to get himself right. Will be an interesting watch.
Observer55

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps