PDCA

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: PDCA

Postby Richo_37 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:28 pm

Thought I would share my thoughts on the format

- Two day cricket appears to have enough support from the larger clubs to always remain as the premium format
- Most of the feedback I have received is that the 6 team divisions has been an improvement
- The Lo grades do not favour clubs genuinely developing younger players in C, D and E grades
- Some have the view that the season is too long and overlaps too much with other sporting codes
- There were only 16 clubs with an A grade playing 2 day format this season

What I would propose
1. Two day cricket is retained as the premium format, however only grades 1 and 2 include this format
2. Grades 3 and down only play one day format
3. Under current 6 team format the season is shortened to 15 weeks in the minor round and 2 weeks finals
4. Test match, Australia day weekend and Adelaide Cup weekends are non playing weekends
5. Clubs are either nominated two day clubs, aspirational two day clubs or only one day clubs
6. There is an annual application process for aspirational clubs to be accepted as two day clubs, at which point season duration is reviewed
7. Ultimate goal is for 8 team two day competitions with grade 1 and 2 extending beyond the season duration of other grades
8. Potentially a reserves two day competition in future sitting at grade 3 containing only B grade sides from grade 1 and 2
Richo_37
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Angle Vale

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:05 am

Richo_37 wrote:Thought I would share my thoughts on the format

- Two day cricket appears to have enough support from the larger clubs to always remain as the premium format
- Most of the feedback I have received is that the 6 team divisions has been an improvement
- The Lo grades do not favour clubs genuinely developing younger players in C, D and E grades
- Some have the view that the season is too long and overlaps too much with other sporting codes

What I would propose
1. Two day cricket is retained as the premium format, however only grades 1 and 2 include this format
3. Under current 6 team format the season is shortened to 15 weeks in the minor round and 2 weeks finals
4. Test match, Australia day weekend and Adelaide Cup weekends are non playing weekends
5. Clubs are either nominated two day clubs, aspirational two day clubs or only one day clubs
6. There is an annual application process for aspirational clubs to be accepted as two day clubs, at which point season duration is reviewed
7. Ultimate goal is for 8 team two day competitions with grade 1 and 2 extending beyond the season duration of other grades
8. Potentially a reserves two day competition in future sitting at grade 3 containing only B grade sides from grade 1 and 2

I was always a big fan of your #8 concept, will never get off the ground now unfortunately.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby whufc » Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:58 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:

What I would propose

I was always a big fan of your #8 concept, will never get off the ground now unfortunately.

Yeah I think we would all love to see a genuine reserves comp full of only b grade sides.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby The Bedge » Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:07 am

- Most of the feedback I have received is that the 6 team divisions has been an improvement Agreed
- The Lo grades do not favour clubs genuinely developing younger players in C, D and E grades Agreed.
- Some have the view that the season is too long and overlaps too much with other sporting codes I agree, but COVID last couple years has also hurt this as footy codes have juggled their seasons. It's taxing on volunteers - players themselves wouldn't notice much difference
- There were only 16 clubs with an A grade playing 2 day format this seasonDisappointing really.

What I would propose
2. Grades 3 and down only play one day format I don't mind the format that was this season - 5x 2 and 10x 1
3. Under current 6 team format the season is shortened to 15 weeks in the minor round and 2 weeks finals Drop of more than a month is a fair whack
5. Clubs are either nominated two day clubs, aspirational two day clubs or only one day clubs Should be a progression up regardless - you shouldn't just declare yourself a one day club for instance and then sit back winning flag after flag. If Grade 1 is the premier grade, that should be the ultimate aspiration for clubs.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:14 am

I think perhaps the setup we had this year is the go (although perhaps not all 2 day games in Grade 1/2).

Grade 3-5 modified 2 day seasons (5x2, 10x1)
Grade 6-11 one day seasons.

Win a flag, go up. Regardless of your grade. No choice on whether you want to be a one day club or not, rules are rules. So if you're in LO1 you know start of the season you win you're returning to modified 2 day cricket - plan for it. If you're in Grade 3 and a chance, you know you're returning to the big leagues - plan for it.

Modified two day season allows a pretty seemless transition back into two day cricket.

Add a sum per team to the affiliation fees e.g. $10 (20 x 65 teams = $1,300) and use that surplus to provide prizemoney for the winner of Grade 1 and Grade 2.

$1,000 if you win Grade 1
$500 if you win Grade 2

Bit of a carrot might encourage teams to step up.

Then, might actually see clubs settle into grades they're suited, and grades capable of developing kids in the lower ends instead of them being littered with guys too good for the grade.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Richo_37 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:50 pm

What I would propose

Just touching on a few points raised

Reserves Comp
• If you take 2 day cricket away from b grade sides, by going 1 day from grade 3, and have 12-16 grade 1/2 surely 6-10 of them would support a reserves comp to keep playing 2 day cricket in the B grade

Shorter Season
• I see having long weekends off as a draw card for some players
• Additional Saturday’s could be used for T20 competition instead of Sundays

Format and Lo Grades
• A number of clubs will never move to 2 day cricket
• A number of larger clubs already have their B grade in Lo comp
• Based on this season removing 2 day cricket from div 3 down only impacts 13 clubs
• At least half of these could form a combined grade ½ reserves division
Richo_37
Mini-League

Grassroots Team: Angle Vale

Postby Arry Gablett » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:53 pm

6 team competitions do allow for

1 round of 2 day games - 10 weeks
1 round of one day games - 5 weeks
1 round of 20/20 - 5 weeks

if clubs are happy to play 20 weeks

trophy for each mini competition within the competition and an overall champion club in that grade
Arry Gablett
Under 16s

Been liked: 46 times

Postby bored » Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:26 pm

The Bedge wrote:No choice on whether you want to be a one day club or not, rules are rules. So if you're in LO1 you know start of the season you win you're returning to modified 2 day cricket - plan for it. If you're in Grade 3 and a chance, you know you're returning to the big leagues - plan for it.

Why can't people just enjoy 1 day cricket? Last I checked we play hard wicket social cricket and most of us play for the fun of it. If we were looking to go further with our cricket careers, we would be playing turf!

Can't say I've ever understood the hate on 1 day cricket and the push to get guys to play it. .
bored
Under 16s

Postby Eggy » Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:17 pm

bored wrote:
The Bedge wrote:No choice on whether you want to be a one day club or not, rules are rules. So if you're in LO1 you know start of the season you win you're returning to modified 2 day cricket - plan for it. If you're in Grade 3 and a chance, you know you're returning to the big leagues - plan for it.

Why can't people just enjoy 1 day cricket? Last I checked we play hard wicket social cricket and most of us play for the fun of it. If we were looking to go further with our cricket careers, we would be playing turf!

Can't say I've ever understood the hate on 1 day cricket and the push to get guys to play it. .

That is actually a very good point. PDCA is very much a parklands competition. I do really think soon enough 1 day cricket is going to be the only option in these hit and giggle leagues!
Eggy
Rookie

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 8 times

Postby BenchedEagle » Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:53 pm

Comes down to what do clubs want, Quality or Quantity of competition..

Go back to 8 i can see straight away who will resist/refuse promotion and we will be straight back into the worst case scenario of a Grade 1 Bye again.

The league belongs to the clubs and is all in their hands. I would just hope traditionialists and the louder voices give consideration to both scenarios and this decision is not made messily on the floor of an AGM.
BenchedEagle
League - Top 5

Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 50 times

Postby bored » Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:14 am

Eggy wrote:
bored wrote:

That is actually a very good point. PDCA is very much a parklands competition. I do really think soon enough 1 day cricket is going to be the only option in these hit and giggle leagues!

It's what a lot of people want to play.

Bedge, I can kind of remember what you posted. What you didn't look at in my stats are games played. I don't play every week so at least I know the games I get to play I'll have a hit. I don't want to potentially play a few games each season where all I do is field for 70 overs. I'm old and mostly broken now, I've proven that I can play against high level bowling and I'm past all that. Why can't I just enjoy playing with my mates in a format of the game where I know I'll bat which is the part of cricket I enjoy?
bored
Under 16s

Postby whufc » Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:03 am

bored wrote:
Eggy wrote:
bored wrote:

It's what a lot of people want to play.

Bedge, I can kind of remember what you posted. What you didn't look at in my stats are games played. I don't play every week so at least I know the games I get to play I'll have a hit. I don't want to potentially play a few games each season where all I do is field for 70 overs. I'm old and mostly broken now, I've proven that I can play against high level bowling and I'm past all that. Why can't I just enjoy playing with my mates in a format of the game where I know I'll bat which is the part of cricket I enjoy?

Whilst I don't disagree with that there is also the other part to that.

90% of the other blokes who are in the C or D grade because that's where there ability has them. They come out each week in an attempt to have fun and hopefully pick up some wickets and score some runs themselves.

There is no doubt it sucks the enjoyment out of the game for those genuine lower division players when blokes grades on grades above in talent/skill drop down and take the 'piss' out of each contest.
whufc
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:36 am

bored wrote:It's what a lot of people want to play.

I'm hearing you, the last game I played my body seized up a bit from being in the field just for a one dayer, fielding for 70 overs would be horrendous and if we batted for 70 overs I'd be over the limit to drive home unless I miraculously batted for a fair chunk of them overs.

I see blokes younger than me hobbling around after a full day in the field, even a few days later they are sore.

As far as the comp is concerned, I think they have found the right format, of course the better clubs want more teams per division, it makes the competition look stronger and they get to play against different people, the SW, Virginia and Angle Vale players see each other more than they see their family members, they may as well play test series' against each other, unfortunately after Eastern Park and Dublin the rest will just make up the numbers.

Craigmore won Grade 2 but I couldn't se them challenging any of the top 5 clubs in Grade 1, they may snag a win here or there but that would be on the arse end of a huge individual effort. Smithfield, Eyre and NEK we're all around the same mark too, any of these 4 clubs would need to recruit to make an impact.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby GarrytheGOAT » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:23 am

Well done to Justin Carman on winning his second McKenzie Medal last night, beating his brother by 1 vote in the last round of the season.

Well done to Virginia on hosting a fantastic evening
GarrytheGOAT
Mini-League

Been liked: 4 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:25 am

GarrytheGOAT wrote:Well done to Justin Carman on winning his second McKenzie Medal last night, beating his brother by 1 vote in the last round of the season.

Well done to Virginia on hosting a fantastic evening

Wow, I tipped a draw between the two.

I would've gone if I knew it was @ Virginia, they are a great club.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Observer55 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:46 am

What I would propose

My $2.

The comp is stagnant, trial something different for a year - like all two layers this year. We are an ageing competition and there are not a HEAP of kids filtering in like we need to ensure a healthy competition in 15 years time. Move to compulsory live scoring, have the Association host a Match Centre with FrogBox and allow the clubs to purchase their own FrogBox Kits to stream matches live, increase engagement and give another platform for sponsors visibility. This will allow for potentially better coaching for players and Umpires.

Move to all One Day cricket, Div 1 45 overs, Div 2-4 40 overs, Div 5-Down 35 overs. 8 team Divisions with Div 1 and 2 A Grade only for the first year, Smithfield and Craigmore in to the six from Div 1 this season, Para Vista, Pen Pirates, Atco and Enfield into 2, Wells and OTH heading up div 3.
14 rounds of 1 Day competition with 2 for finals. One day rules.

Then work a seperate T20 competition into the calendar, 4 Pools of 6 geographically based. Only allow clubs to enter 2 teams maximum of two sides/teams for the T20 comp, Reduce the pool to increase the talent. Also if a club is travelling poorly in the 1 day comp, they are still alive in the T20 comp. Some Sundays required for a 10 game fixture, but if a fixture released pre season Clubs can plan sufficiently. Have top 5 (of 6) in the T20 comp play finals, have the 4 host venues pre determined for finals and a club play up to 3 games within the one day for a T20 'carnival' for final.

8 Sundays in total to be successful, 24 games of cricket without finals. More cricket for hopefully more members strengthening our clubs with more participants.

At the moment, we have up to 2 "Substitutes" available to rotate through teams each week, which I like and understand if you have players coming in and out for Grade cricket but feel this year it was used for work or holidays. One Day Cricket solves this issue. Also time and time again, I read or hear how teams refuse to play two day cricket, a move to meet them finalises this argument. I can think of 4 off pace bowlers playing Div 1 cricket this year, needing to bowl allotted overs in a set time frame will hopefully see an increase in off pace bowling improving the all-round cricketers we produce as an association.

If it doesn't work in 2022/23 revert back to a mixed 2 day/1 day competition in 2023/24, will also allow a 'reset' with A Grade, B Grade, C Grade and D grade teams aligning in divisions in the short term.
Observer55

Has liked: 41 times

Postby Arry Gablett » Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:27 am

A rumour doing the rounds further north is that two clubs from this association are enquiring about BLCA
Arry Gablett
Under 16s

Been liked: 46 times

Postby whufc » Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:42 am

Arry Gablett wrote:A rumour doing the rounds further north is that two clubs from this association are enquiring about BLCA

Would have to be two of AV, Virginia, Dublin? All 3 of those clubs are real solid on and off the field and would be surprised if the BLCA had many reasons to reject them.

Two Wells don't have their shit together enough unless they think the move will draw in players like it has for Long Plains.

Will say though there always seems to be a rumour or two about PDCA joining other comps but rarely do they come to fruition.
whufc
Coach

Postby auto » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:01 am

Arry Gablett wrote:A rumour doing the rounds further north is that two clubs from this association are enquiring about BLCA
The clue is in the wording - further "North". North Pines and Salisbury North confirmed.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk
auto
League - Top 5

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby whufc » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:16 am

auto wrote:
The clue is in the wording - further "North". North Pines and Salisbury North confirmed.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk

Wowsers....I thought further North meant the Barossa.

Not sure why the BLCA would be interested in NP and SN.....add no value to them whatsoever.
whufc
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps