PDCA

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: PDCA 2016 - 2017

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:54 pm

moriachi wrote:What happened to Two Wells last year? They didn't have a team or they move comps?

I'm pretty sure the wheels just fell off, it was heading that way the previous year but when they did muster a team up they were pretty handy.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:14 pm

PDCA documents for the upcoming AGM are out.. and two clubs have officially applied to join the competition..
Peninsula Pirates & Para Vista Lutheran.

Clubs will vote on their applications at the AGM.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby whufc » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:08 am

The Bedge wrote:PDCA documents for the upcoming AGM are out.. and two clubs have officially applied to join the competition..

Without knowing the finer details I think the clubs would be crazy not to accept new teams.

Obviously the Aussie cricket team is likely to under perform in the next year or two so it will be interesting to see what impact that has on cricket filtering down to junior interest and participating numbers.

Take teams while you can imho.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:53 am

whufc wrote:
The Bedge wrote:PDCA documents for the upcoming AGM are out.. and two clubs have officially applied to join the competition..

Without knowing the finer details I think the clubs would be crazy not to accept new teams.

Obviously the Aussie cricket team is likely to under perform in the next year or two so it will be interesting to see what impact that has on cricket filtering down to junior interest and participating numbers.

Take teams while you can imho.

PV Lutheran will have no problem being accepted, history tells me the Pirates will be a 50/50.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:17 am

Pirates have listed a squad of 21 potential players, and their home ground to be at Jubilee Reserve, West Lakes Shore. It's a good half hour roughly to the closest of grounds, this may be the only concern.

Squad made up of a mix of Magill-Morialta (now defunct), North Haven and new players.

Assuming they came in at the lowest 2 day comp of Grade 5, they could potentially have the following trips:
Enfield
ATCO
North Pines
Angle Vale
Eyre Royals

I would think Para Vista Lutheran would be placed into Grade 4. This would alleviate the bye in both grades as well.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:11 am

Definitely can understand the travel concerns but feel it would be a tad short-sighted to say no purely on that.

Over time travel times are only going to reduce with better infrastructure. Remember the days when Semaphore felt like a million miles away. I remember thinking Riverside was a road trip as a young senior.

Personally I am concerned about crickets future and in particular local competitions. Are junior numbers able to sustain a potential poor on-field national team and the decline in interest that will create. Especially with the AFL looking to push into the summer market and surely one day the A-League hit a blow to the summer sports market. (if you punch enough times eventually you will make contact)

How does T20 grow further? There adding more games but does that generate more interest or just allow the current fans to go to more games rather than attract new fans. Melbourne Teams got 100k to a T20 game, how do you improve on that? We are already starting to see countries flirt with the idea of t10 because t20 is becoming stale.

I would hate to see the PDCA fold in ten years because the current crop of club presidents/decision makers couldn't be bothered making an extra 45 minute trip once a season.
whufc
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:26 am

whufc wrote:Definitely can understand the travel concerns but feel it would be a tad short-sighted to say no purely on that.

Over time travel times are only going to reduce with better infrastructure. Remember the days when Semaphore felt like a million miles away. I remember thinking Riverside was a road trip as a young senior.

Personally I am concerned about crickets future and in particular local competitions. Are junior numbers able to sustain a potential poor on-field national team and the decline in interest that will create. Especially with the AFL looking to push into the summer market and surely one day the A-League hit a blow to the summer sports market. (if you punch enough times eventually you will make contact)

How does T20 grow further? There adding more games but does that generate more interest or just allow the current fans to go to more games rather than attract new fans. Melbourne Teams got 100k to a T20 game, how do you improve on that? We are already starting to see countries flirt with the idea of t10 because t20 is becoming stale.

I would hate to see the PDCA fold in ten years because the current crop of club presidents/decision makers couldn't be bothered making an extra 45 minute trip once a season.

West Lakes is a bit further on from Semaphore and we do see an increase of forfeits for teams that have to make a substantial journey.

On top of the travel, the PDCA member clubs have often shunned a breakaway team/club who apply to join.
1: They are crippling somewhat the club they came from.
2: More often than not they are fly-by-nighters, if it was "North Haven" applying, I'm sure it would be a unanimous "yes" vote.

I do think they will be accepted, the players will just whinge when having to go there and there will be forfeits or teams fielding crap sides when playing there.

Lets face it, Fat Bob that bats 10 and doesn't bowl, probably only gets a game because he coaches the under 13's, suddenly he has to pack up and address his kids team at 11:45am to try drop his son off at his Craigmore home en route to West Lakes from Angle Vale for a 1pm start where he needs to find time to grab a bite to eat too and sneak a couple of Hahn's Light's into his esky.

I putted on them greens for years mate, it's a mad rush travelling semi-local.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:29 am

But it's only a slightly longer trip that needs to occur once a season, surely that's not going to put players out that much.

I've got no issue with travelling, it does make it a little rushed and chaotic in the morning, especially when you've got kids involved, but on the flip side I quite enjoying travelling out to places I wouldn't normal play at that isn't "local" - it's kind of like a road trip.. an adventure :lol:
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:10 pm

The Bedge wrote:But it's only a slightly longer trip that needs to occur once a season, surely that's not going to put players out that much.

I've got no issue with travelling, it does make it a little rushed and chaotic in the morning, especially when you've got kids involved, but on the flip side I quite enjoying travelling out to places I wouldn't normal play at that isn't "local" - it's kind of like a road trip.. an adventure :lol:

Mate, you make up about 15% of the community cricket comp.

We always loved a trip to Uley, Argana, Dwight or McGilp where you can stick around for a couple, one for the journey home and not needing a piss on the way and then being back for awards at a reasonable time or enough time to dribble shit under the verandah for a bit.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Arch44 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:15 pm

The Bedge wrote:But it's only a slightly longer trip that needs to occur once a season, surely that's not going to put players out that much.

Spot on Bedge.
I didn't mind the travel years ago in Adelaide Turf then came to churches and couldn't believe how close every one was to each other and now in suburban and travelling south every 2nd match at places I have never played before is enjoyable.
The Pirates oval would be no more than 5-6 minutes away from Semaphore if that. Shouldn't be a big deal IMO.
Hogg Shield Div IV 2018 Winner
Arch44
League - Top 5

Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 272 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:25 pm

Arch44 wrote:

Spot on Bedge.
I didn't mind the travel years ago in Adelaide Turf then came to churches and couldn't believe how close every one was to each other and now in suburban and travelling south every 2nd match at places I have never played before is enjoyable.
The Pirates oval would be no more than 5-6 minutes away from Semaphore if that. Shouldn't be a big deal IMO.

I'm just speaking of experience from sitting in on the PDCA AGM's over the years.

But you're right, what's another 5 or 6 minutes after driving from Dublin for a game. ;)
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:27 pm

Get what you're saying LM, but it's only one trip a season still (maybe 2 depending on finals).. just win or lose the game quickly if you wanna get home earlier :lol:
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:28 pm

What's anyone's favourite ground(s) to play at in the PDCA? Besides your own of course.

I always loved the trip up to OTH although their grass went crap the last couple of years I played, loved batting at Two Wells and the short straight boundary at Mofflin hitting towards the athletic track.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:29 pm

The Bedge wrote:Get what you're saying LM, but it's only one trip a season still (maybe 2 depending on finals).. just win or lose the game quickly if you wanna get home earlier :lol:

I just want someone to hang with me so I don't have to drive, I love having a beer or three with the opposition.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:36 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:Definitely can understand the travel concerns but feel it would be a tad short-sighted to say no purely on that.

West Lakes is a bit further on from Semaphore and we do see an increase of forfeits for teams that have to make a substantial journey.

On top of the travel, the PDCA member clubs have often shunned a breakaway team/club who apply to join.
1: They are crippling somewhat the club they came from.
2: More often than not they are fly-by-nighters, if it was "North Haven" applying, I'm sure it would be a unanimous "yes" vote.

I do think they will be accepted, the players will just whinge when having to go there and there will be forfeits or teams fielding crap sides when playing there.

Lets face it, Fat Bob that bats 10 and doesn't bowl, probably only gets a game because he coaches the under 13's, suddenly he has to pack up and address his kids team at 11:45am to try drop his son off at his Craigmore home en route to West Lakes from Angle Vale for a 1pm start where he needs to find time to grab a bite to eat too and sneak a couple of Hahn's Light's into his esky.

I putted on them greens for years mate, it's a mad rush travelling semi-local.

I get that people might be concerned about travelling but I do believe thanks to the amateur league football and amateur league soccer that is becoming a changing attitude. Players are getting use to the idea that travel is required even at B and C grade level, we now see footballers and soccer players travelling from South to North. In ATCA teams travel as far as Gawler.

I would hate to see the PDCA diminish to 5-6 teams comps in the future.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:38 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:What's anyone's favourite ground(s) to play at in the PDCA? Besides your own of course.

I always loved the trip up to OTH although their grass went crap the last couple of years I played, loved batting at Two Wells and the short straight boundary at Mofflin hitting towards the athletic track.

Eastern Park- For batting on, short boundaries, quick one side etc
Atco- Had a lot of success at the ground even as an opposition player and won a couple of junior GF's there
OTH- probably the 'nicest' ground in the competition
Riverside- nice enough ground always a good bunch of lads to hang around after wards

Hate-
Uley Rd, dislocated my shoulder twice there, never batted well there and cant remember a whole lot of wins there.
Salisbury West- shit of a ground, always lose there and a bunch of twats on field to play against
whufc
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:40 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:What's anyone's favourite ground(s) to play at in the PDCA? Besides your own of course.

Probably OTH for me as well - it's a nice drive up the hill, it's quiet and peaceful, has a playground for the kids and ample shade, cheap beer prices and general a good bunch of blokes out there.

In terms of actual grounds to play on though, I don't really favour any, they're all the same to me I just rock up and get the job done :P :lol: ...except Eastern Park :lol:
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:50 pm

whufc wrote:
I get that people might be concerned about travelling but I do believe thanks to the amateur league football and amateur league soccer that is becoming a changing attitude. Players are getting use to the idea that travel is required even at B and C grade level, we now see footballers and soccer players travelling from South to North. In ATCA teams travel as far as Gawler.

I would hate to see the PDCA diminish to 5-6 teams comps in the future.

PDCA
"Para District".
That's the attraction to many players, that is why they don't play turf of district.

Cricket goes for 5 to 6 hours in extreme heat, Joe Bloggs doesn't want to turn that into 7 or 8.

My Saturday used to consist of me getting to the oval at 7:30am to set up for juniors, go straight to my game once the kids were wrapped up and teams finalized after the pull-outs etc. Try and get back to the club to get awards done by 7:30ish and then get home around midnight.

Most blokes we wouldn't see at the club unless they scored some runs or took some wickets, many seemed to have to work on the Saturday if our B's or C's were playing Dublin etc.

BTW, the PDCA is in no danger of imploding any time soon.
Last edited by Lightning McQueen on Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:50 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
The Bedge wrote:Get what you're saying LM, but it's only one trip a season still (maybe 2 depending on finals).. just win or lose the game quickly if you wanna get home earlier :lol:

I just want someone to hang with me so I don't have to drive, I love having a beer or three with the opposition.

Come play at Enfield this season, i'll be your drinking buddy and do the driving - plus it's close to Mawson Lakes :lol:
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:53 pm

whufc wrote:

Eastern Park- For batting on, short boundaries, quick one side etc
Atco- Had a lot of success at the ground even as an opposition player and won a couple of junior GF's there
OTH- probably the 'nicest' ground in the competition
Riverside- nice enough ground always a good bunch of lads to hang around after wards

Hate-
Uley Rd, dislocated my shoulder twice there, never batted well there and cant remember a whole lot of wins there.
Salisbury West- shit of a ground, always lose there and a bunch of twats on field to play against

I could never feel the atmosphere on Dauntsey for some reason, I don't know what it was.

Riverside used to be an absolute picture when I was playing juniors, their grass was as good as any I've ever played on, it changed over the years though.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps