BLCA 2016-17

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: BLCA 2016-17

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:31 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:Cricket must be the only sport in the world where you have to keep playing after you've lost!

And orienteering.

FFS :lol:
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby norm11 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:38 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:
interested onlooker wrote:Maybe the umpire needs to be reminded it’s about the players and not him. 22 blokes miss out on playing our great game due to his poor attitude.

Exactly, the same umpire doesnt want to umpire one day games once the team chasing has reached the score. Im always of the belief that games should be played out to the end while the rules allow it. Players pay subs, volunteers put alot of work in to preparing turf pitches, umpires are paid for the day. No one complains when the team batting first doesnt have a crack at setting a target, batting their 40 overs and making say 9/100 yet when the team batting secong gets them in 15 overs some people expect us to walk off the ground instead of batting out the 40 overs we are entitled to. Over the last month ive been subjected to both ends of this stick, its cricket. If the dominat team happens to bat first and posts 300 this is ok but when batting 2nd its not?

I don't mind that, it stops the crap teams losing even more players.

The PDCA introduced the bonus points for reaching the target inside 30,20 or 10 overs to not disadvantage the winning side.

Barossa has the bonus point system for maybe 2 years then got rid of it.
Back to the creek it is.
norm11
League - Top 5

Has liked: 470 times
Been liked: 53 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:42 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:
interested onlooker wrote:Maybe the umpire needs to be reminded it’s about the players and not him. 22 blokes miss out on playing our great game due to his poor attitude.

Exactly, the same umpire doesnt want to umpire one day games once the team chasing has reached the score. Im always of the belief that games should be played out to the end while the rules allow it. Players pay subs, volunteers put alot of work in to preparing turf pitches, umpires are paid for the day. No one complains when the team batting first doesnt have a crack at setting a target, batting their 40 overs and making say 9/100 yet when the team batting secong gets them in 15 overs some people expect us to walk off the ground instead of batting out the 40 overs we are entitled to. Over the last month ive been subjected to both ends of this stick, its cricket. If the dominat team happens to bat first and posts 300 this is ok but when batting 2nd its not?

The PDCA introduced the bonus points for reaching the target inside 30,20 or 10 overs to not disadvantage the winning side.

we had this a couple of years ago and for some reason the committee decided to get rid of it. not sure why, i thought it was good for all involved.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:47 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

we had this a couple of years ago and for some reason the committee decided to get rid of it. not sure why, i thought it was good for all involved.

The committee did not get rid of it. It was voted out by the club delegates
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:52 pm

sorry didnt mean to say the committee did it without consulting the clubs or a vote or whatever, i just meant that it was repealed.

personally i thought it needed tweaking a bit - you would get half a point per 5 overs, so effectively you were given credit for 10 and over, which was too much, and gave too much advantage to bowling first.

tweaking it to a run a ball would have been fairer imo.

The only gain i can see for batting on after the total is to give the lower order a bat, which sometimes doesnt happen if the team is good.

but given its a country comp, keeping the lower teams in it should be a consideration too
bennymacca
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:04 am

bennymacca wrote:tweaking it to a run a ball would have been fairer imo.
A run a ball is probably bit overkill as well - without knowing this comp, how many sides regularly score at 6rpo? Suppose there will never really be a truly fair system for these things.

bennymacca wrote:The only gain i can see for batting on after the total is to give the lower order a bat, which sometimes doesnt happen if the team is good. but given its a country comp, keeping the lower teams in it should be a consideration too
I agree with this.. especially if you're an average side, if you're getting flogged each week and sent into bat so sides can chase bonus points, suddenly you're paying good money for a couple hours cricket and the opposition if you're a really strong side runs the risk of having guys not get to contribute much.

My side in PDCA, we have rolled sides for 43, 49, 83 and 114 on occasions this season - we have chased the runs in anywhere from 6-14 overs, usually 1 or 2 down and usually only having needed 3 bowlers, so I've got a middle order who haven't batted/bowled since start of November and of the 9 games played this season, I've only got 3 players who have batted 5 times or more.

Downside with playing on though is the obvious lack of interest from opposition sides who has just got pumped.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3193 times
Been liked: 4001 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:19 am

The Bedge wrote:
bennymacca wrote:tweaking it to a run a ball would have been fairer imo.
A run a ball is probably bit overkill as well - without knowing this comp, how many sides regularly score at 6rpo? Suppose there will never really be a truly fair system for these things.

bennymacca wrote:The only gain i can see for batting on after the total is to give the lower order a bat, which sometimes doesnt happen if the team is good. but given its a country comp, keeping the lower teams in it should be a consideration too
I agree with this.. especially if you're an average side, if you're getting flogged each week and sent into bat so sides can chase bonus points, suddenly you're paying good money for a couple hours cricket and the opposition if you're a really strong side runs the risk of having guys not get to contribute much.

My side in PDCA, we have rolled sides for 43, 49, 83 and 114 on occasions this season - we have chased the runs in anywhere from 6-14 overs, usually 1 or 2 down and usually only having needed 3 bowlers, so I've got a middle order who haven't batted/bowled since start of November and of the 9 games played this season, I've only got 3 players who have batted 5 times or more.

Downside with playing on though is the obvious lack of interest from opposition sides who has just got pumped.

Swap them around a bit when you're chasing bugger all..............................and don't be so good.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:39 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:Swap them around a bit when you're chasing bugger all..............................and don't be so good.

I have haha, that's why so many haven't batted much :lol: because the low chases mean only 3 or 4 bat each week, I move it around and means they prob get 1 bat a month lol :oops:

and I've used 22 bowlers haha - I now have a new ball rotation policy lol, everyone gets a crack :D
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:46 am

The Bedge wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Swap them around a bit when you're chasing bugger all..............................and don't be so good.

I have haha, that's why so many haven't batted much :lol: because the low chases mean only 3 or 4 bat each week, I move it around and means they prob get 1 bat a month lol :oops:

and I've used 22 bowlers haha - I now have a new ball rotation policy lol, everyone gets a crack :D

It's funny how as we get older we appreciate the early finish.

Hopefully you guys go up next season where the standard isn't too bad, there's 3 teams in your grade capable of holding their own in Grade 2.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:01 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:Hopefully you guys go up next season where the standard isn't too bad, there's 3 teams in your grade capable of holding their own in Grade 2.

I'm playing Grade 5 this year lol :lol:
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:16 am

The Bedge wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Hopefully you guys go up next season where the standard isn't too bad, there's 3 teams in your grade capable of holding their own in Grade 2.

I'm playing Grade 5 this year lol :lol:

I just worked that out, I better shut up in here and not fill the locals with city drivel.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:35 am

The Bedge wrote:A run a ball is probably bit overkill as well - without knowing this comp, how many sides regularly score at 6rpo? Suppose there will never really be a truly fair system for these things.

depends on the oval. some of the quicker and smaller ovals would definitely go at 6rpo, especially if the other team has lost and doesnt give a shit anymore.

The Bedge wrote:I agree with this.. especially if you're an average side, if you're getting flogged each week and sent into bat so sides can chase bonus points, suddenly you're paying good money for a couple hours cricket and the opposition if you're a really strong side runs the risk of having guys not get to contribute much.

if you are an average side you get sent into bad regardless - trust me, ive been on both sides of that coin (depending on whether my side is in 3s or 2s)

The Bedge wrote:My side in PDCA, we have rolled sides for 43, 49, 83 and 114 on occasions this season - we have chased the runs in anywhere from 6-14 overs, usually 1 or 2 down and usually only having needed 3 bowlers, so I've got a middle order who haven't batted/bowled since start of November and of the 9 games played this season, I've only got 3 players who have batted 5 times or more.

we rolled a team for 11 last year :D

we did choose to bat on, and could have called the game off early, but my preference is for bonus points instead. its pretty demoralising for the opposition teams to be literally on a hiding to nothing. and in the 3s especially where you may have fill ins who havent played much cricket, you struggle to get those fill ins back out again if you just end up chasing leather all day
bennymacca
Coach

Postby happyhawk » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:45 am

Another ton to Diener yesterday apparently, lad is an absolute jet.

On another note it looks like we may have another week off due to the heat this week
happyhawk
Rookie

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Grassroots Team: RSMU

Postby whufc » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:05 pm

Couldn't think of anything worse in 35 degree weather than having to stay out in the field when your team has already been smashed
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:31 pm

whufc wrote:Couldn't think of anything worse in 35 degree weather than having to stay out in the field when your team has already been smashed

Bat better, were here here to play cricket, if you dont want to play dont put your hand up at selection
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Tony Clifton » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:38 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
whufc wrote:Couldn't think of anything worse in 35 degree weather than having to stay out in the field when your team has already been smashed

Bat better, were here here to play cricket, if you dont want to play dont put your hand up at selection

It's not a cricket game after the game is over though

It's training
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby bennymacca » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:06 pm

daysofourlives wrote:

This is fair enough for A grade - but surely the lower grades is as much about participation. and forcing fill ins to stand out there in the heat just makes them not wanna play.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:04 pm

bennymacca wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

This is fair enough for A grade - but surely the lower grades is as much about participation. and forcing fill ins to stand out there in the heat just makes them not wanna play.

Youre right it is about participation, not much fun for the guys who bat 4-7 and dont get a hit for a month. Id rather look after the regular players than the fill ins, I couldnt give two hoots about the fill ins. Or if youre a change bowler in a bad batting team, you dont get a bowl either.
90% of players play because they want to spend the afternoon playing cricket. Costs alot of money to play for all involved, clubs, players why wouldnt you want to play the day out. I dont want to cater for blokes who dont really want to play cricket i want the guys that want to play to get the most out of it. We have 1st class facilities, alot of them better than even the grade clubs and we play one afternoon a week, why we wouldnt we utulize them as much as we can.
The top 2 teams played each other in the 2s yesterday and one of them batted first and made bugger all. The score was passed one down. The bowling team didnt want to come off and the batting team didnt either. They continued to bowl their better bowlers and try and take some wickets because they have some pride in their performance. Teams that want to walk off have a pea heart and thats why they find themselves in the position they are in on a regular basis.
I dont mind the a grade calling if off, most of their games go 35plus in the 2nd innings anyway.
I want someone to tell me what is the difference if i bat first and make 300 and then the opposition crawl to 8/130 off 40 and then if that happens in reverse. They got their 40 why shouldnt i get my 40? If they arent good enough to bat 40 they are getting a shorter day anyway.
They are only a shorter version of the 2 day limited overs cricket anyway that nobody has a problem playing out.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby whufc » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:35 pm

Is it much fun going out and hitting runs against a side who is 'giving every one a bowl' with half hearted fielders a captain who is just trying to get through the overs as quick as possibly with your own teams umpire who doesn't even want to be out there. (personally that's not my idea of fun batting, i would rather be sucking winners piss with my teammates)

In my opinion by playing on you keep a couple of blokes happy but risk losing a whole team especially if they are just light on ability and needing players to help them get through the year. Whole clubs are more important than a couple of players here and there. In our comp I'm certain Long Plains would have to fold this year if they were made to stay out and get hit for 300+ every week of the season after they had already lost games. The league cant afford to lose them and they are just a club struggling for players who are having to play really young lads.

Personally i think the issue is bigger than just playing on.

If a club is serious about giving everyone a hit swap your batting order for low run chases, games you should comfortably win (we all know the teams we should do well against and shouldn't most country teams know everyone from the other team and how 'strong' they will be on the day. I bet its fair to say in nearly every team in the comp has the top 4 batsmen who is also a top three bowler.

At our club this year the captain spoke to me at the start of the year and said i understand that normally i open the batting but in the current team we have my greater asset to the side is my spin bowling therefore i will be bowling every week but batting around the 6-7 mark as the two openers and the blokes who will now bat 4-5 (that i could of probably batted ahead) wont get a bowl very often if at all. Great communication the ball was then in my court and i have happily accepted my role in the team. If i didn't want to accept it i move on and the club is in a better position for not having a bloke like me around.

If you are continuously having your number 6-7 not getting a hit rotate them with a couple of the better b grade batters making sure when their in the b grade they bat up the order. At the end of the day if your number 6-7 aren't getting a hit often then having a couple of slightly less talented guys in there for the odd game isn't going to hurt you.

I'm sure we don't need to tell you the difference between playing a game for points and then it turning into a glorified scratch match. How often would you do overtime at work if you weren't being paid for it.

I take my cricket as serious as anyone and i love winning but in the case of teams being forced to stay on and get smashed i think you need to look at whats best for the struggling/losing team/club rather than whats best for the winning team. I'm certain those blokes who have missed out on a fair few hits throughout the year will still have their name up for selection come week one of the finals. Will the losing club still have a team to enter in the comp the next season?

The opposite to what you saying is if a team hits 300 first up (that may have been done with 3-4 batsmen, then bowls a side out for 60 with 30 overs remaining do they then let the other team bat again to finish of the last 30 overs, or do they play a third innings to let everyone get a hit for the last 30 overs etc
Last edited by whufc on Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:50 pm

Looking at mycricket, a classic example is the Gawler Central vs Greenock A3 Game

Gawler Central were bowled out for 63 in the first innings by Greenock.

Greenock bowled 6 blokes including Reinke who got 5 overs and Goern who got 4 overs. Those two then went out to open and bat at 4.

Despite playing the extra overs out there was still two blokes from Greenock who failed to get a bat or get a bowl. You cant tell me they are serious about giving every bloke a go.
whufc
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps