BLCA 2016-17

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: BLCA 2016-17

Postby Trader » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:22 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:Don't think a ball can't be a no ball and a wide. Reckon it's whatever comes first and, from memory, a no ball trumps a wide if they happen at the same time (eg in the case of a wide full toss)

Correct, it can't be both. So in the example of a no-ball wide, it would be scored as 1 no ball and 4 byes.

A no-ball always trumps a wide (timing is irrelevant), as a no-ball is more punitive of the two for the fielding side.
IE: you can be stumped off a wide but not a no ball, so if its 'both' the umpire should call no-ball to ensure the batsman gets all the protection he should.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:22 am

Trader wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:Don't think a ball can't be a no ball and a wide. Reckon it's whatever comes first and, from memory, a no ball trumps a wide if they happen at the same time (eg in the case of a wide full toss)

Correct, it can't be both. So in the example of a no-ball wide, it would be scored as 1 no ball and 4 byes.

A no-ball always trumps a wide (timing is irrelevant), as a no-ball is more punitive of the two for the fielding side.
IE: you can be stumped off a wide but not a no ball, so if its 'both' the umpire should call no-ball to ensure the batsman gets all the protection he should.

It's the difference between hard wicket and turf, in hard wicket the umpire will call "no-ball" once the ball hits the grass instead of "wide" as in turf cricket.

It's deemed a no-ball incase it comes back into play whereas on a turf pitch it will continue it's trajectory generally as the grass around a turf wicket is truer than that of around a hard wicket.

When I've coached inter-association teams I've heard all sorts of different calls, "no-ball wide", "wide dead ball", both I've found baffling as it doesn't punish a crap delivery accordingly.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Trader » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:08 am

If it pitches off the cut stuff it is meant to be a no-ball. Anyone calling it a wide in turf cricket is mistaken.
Trader
Assistant Coach

Postby Tony Clifton » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:57 am

Trader wrote:If it pitches off the cut stuff it is meant to be a no-ball. Anyone calling it a wide in turf cricket is mistaken.

Are you sure?

Don't think that's right

Unless it's an BLCA creation
Last edited by Tony Clifton on Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:03 am

Tony Clifton wrote:
Trader wrote:If it pitches off the cut stuff it is meant to be a no-ball. Anyone calling it a wide in turf cricket is mistaken.

Are you sure?

Don't think that's right

Unless it's an ATCA creation

I thought it was a bit odd given the width of most turf pitches but wasn't going to question the merchant.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Trader » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:44 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:

Are you sure?

Don't think that's right

I thought it was a bit odd given the width of most turf pitches but wasn't going to question the merchant.

Wise man LM.

Law 21 (No ball), part 7:
21.7 - pitching off the pitch
The umpire shall call and signal No ball if a ball ... pitches wholly or partially off the pitch as defined in Law 6.1 (Area of pitch) before it reaches the line of the striker’s wicket.

https://www.lords.org/mcc/laws-of-cricket/laws/law-21-no-ball/
Trader
Assistant Coach

Postby magpieeagle » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:03 pm

A1 GV v Mallala called off-wet pitch.
magpieeagle
Reserves

Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 69 times

Postby bennymacca » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:15 pm

magpieeagle wrote:A1 GV v Mallala called off-wet pitch.

Freeling and sandy creek pitches also not getting up
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:29 pm

bennymacca wrote:
magpieeagle wrote:A1 GV v Mallala called off-wet pitch.

Freeling and sandy creek pitches also not getting up

Will play at Angaston and Eudunda i believe, Tanunda also good chance and i havent heard anything about Greenock. All the rest of the turf games are off
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby TimmiesChin » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:11 pm

Trader wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:

Are you sure?

Don't think that's right

Wise man LM.

Law 21 (No ball), part 7:
21.7 - pitching off the pitch
The umpire shall call and signal No ball if a ball ... pitches wholly or partially off the pitch as defined in Law 6.1 (Area of pitch) before it reaches the line of the striker’s wicket.

https://www.lords.org/mcc/laws-of-cricket/laws/law-21-no-ball/

Had a couple of these on the weekend - on hardwicket, the bowler missed the pitch entirely, didn't hit any matting straps or concrete, just dirt and grass and through to the keeper, but the umpire [association appointed] was calling them dead-balls, which seems strange, well actually it seems blatantly wrong. You can bowl a wide that lands on the pitch, but put it a foot wider and its a dead-ball apparently - which is at odds with Law 21 and the bylaws I read.
TimmiesChin
Under 18s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:16 pm

TimmiesChin wrote:
Had a couple of these on the weekend - on hardwicket, the bowler missed the pitch entirely, didn't hit any matting straps or concrete, just dirt and grass and through to the keeper, but the umpire [association appointed] was calling them dead-balls, which seems strange, well actually it seems blatantly wrong. You can bowl a wide that lands on the pitch, but put it a foot wider and its a dead-ball apparently - which is at odds with Law 21 and the bylaws I read.

Yep, it's rewarding a crap ball.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Shoot it » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:28 pm

I thought it would be called - wide first - then dead ball after - meaning the ball is dead after the wide??

So no more runs can be made - or someone run out or stumped off it.
Shoot it

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times

Postby Booney » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:36 pm

Shoot it wrote:I thought it would be called - wide first - then dead ball after - meaning the ball is dead after the wide??

That's how I understood it.

Wide, as it missed the pitch,then dead ball in the unlikely event the ball somehow comes back onto the pitch and hits the wickets.

Certainly how I interpreted the happening in hard wicket cricket where buckles etc could send the ball back against the stumps.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:56 pm

Booney wrote:
Shoot it wrote:I thought it would be called - wide first - then dead ball after - meaning the ball is dead after the wide??

Wide, as it missed the pitch,then dead ball in the unlikely event the ball somehow comes back onto the pitch and hits the wickets.

Certainly how I interpreted the happening in hard wicket cricket where buckles etc could send the ball back against the stumps.

What if it continues to veer off and goes past the wicketkeeper, the batting team should still be allowed to score extra runs from it IMO.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:11 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:

What if it continues to veer off and goes past the wicketkeeper, the batting team should still be allowed to score extra runs from it IMO.

If it's that wide that the 'keeper cannot get to it, that's another thing.

The bowler is removed from the crease, continually mocked by his teammates and banished from bowling for the rest of the year.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:50 pm

Booney wrote:
If it's that wide that the 'keeper cannot get to it, that's another thing.

The bowler is removed from the crease, continually mocked by his teammates and banished from bowling for the rest of the year.

That was what playing for Smithfield was like, when you got up to go out to bat after a dismissal your team mates would say "see you in a minute", there was nowhere to hide if you dropped a catch and no matter where you were fielding the ball would always make it around to you as it was working it's way from the keeper to the bowler in between balls, a gently little lob followed by a few claps, cheers and weird noises.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Shanks'n'divots » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:37 am

What on earth happened at South Gawler yesterday? 20 wickets for 91 runs! I've heard rumours the pitch out there is not in great shape, was that the case yesterday??
Shanks'n'divots
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:04 am

Shanks'n'divots wrote:What on earth happened at South Gawler yesterday? 20 wickets for 91 runs! I've heard rumours the pitch out there is not in great shape, was that the case yesterday??

Very wet wicket apparently.
They have a few issues there with poor grass coverage, hopefullly they can get on top of it soon
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby magpieeagle » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:24 pm

A total real positive for the association with the live cricket, have put plenty of people on to it from all parts of SA, great being anywhere and seeing what's happening, great for exposure.
magpieeagle
Reserves

Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 69 times

Postby Jim05 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:52 pm

Does the lack of action on mycricket today indicate that plenty of decks didn’t get up?
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps