Spirit of Cricket Award

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Spirit of Cricket Award

Postby Tony Clifton » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:27 am

One of the issues highlighted in that 42 point review document is that the Richie Benaud Spirit of Cricket Award is treated as a bit of a joke/afterthought by the state teams. Bit of a token award no one really cares about.

It's the same in every competition or carnival I've ever seen at every level. Very subjective, what constitutes Spirit of Cricket, how is it measured? Usually it gets given to the most hopeless, winless team as a little pick me up. Or to some team/club that leaves everyone scratching their head because they're the most vulgar, unsportsmanlike, sledging team and it's baffling how they won.

Has anyone seen it done well? How could the status be elevated or the measurements better recognise actual spirit of cricket acts?
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Re: Spirit of Cricket Award

Postby heater31 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:48 am

I can clearly remember in about 2006 audible laugher coming out of the visitors changerooms of Adelaide Oval when the club occupying said rooms won the award and it was announced at a break in play of the GF.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:09 pm

heater31 wrote:I can clearly remember in about 2006 audible laugher coming out of the visitors changerooms of Adelaide Oval when the club occupying said rooms won the award and it was announced at a break in play of the GF.

Haha!

I remember that year.

Adelaide won it because Horse always wore a blazer out for the coin toss I reckon
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby heater31 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:09 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:
heater31 wrote:I can clearly remember in about 2006 audible laugher coming out of the visitors changerooms of Adelaide Oval when the club occupying said rooms won the award and it was announced at a break in play of the GF.

Haha!

I remember that year.

Adelaide won it because Horse always wore a blazer out for the coin toss I reckon
Horse didn't wear that blazer by choice either!

A couple of other senior players maintained that the other 3 grades had perfect scores for the club to win the award.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps