Heat Policy and Finals Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Heat Policy and Finals Cricket

Postby The Angry Bull » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:22 pm

I am interested in other posters views on the application of heat policies to major rounds.

I have just heard of a GF abandoned halfway through the second innings of the match due to the temperature exceeding 41.5. The game had been postponed from Saturday to Sunday as the forecast appeared cooler. The Saturday did not end up reaching 41. The team batting first had been bowled out for 97 and the team chasing were 1/45 in reply with 30 overs up their sleeve. The game now restarts from scratch next weekend.

Do other associations vary their heat polices to ensure a result in major rounds, in particularly GF's? if the heat policy applies, in what circumstances are you called off and then how is the match handled ie: resume from where the match was left, or do you replay the match from scratch?
The Angry Bull
Under 16s

Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Central Augusta

Re: Heat Policy and Finals Cricket

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:34 pm

The Angry Bull wrote:I am interested in other posters views on the application of heat policies to major rounds.

I have just heard of a GF abandoned halfway through the second innings of the match due to the temperature exceeding 41.5. The game had been postponed from Saturday to Sunday as the forecast appeared cooler. The Saturday did not end up reaching 41. The team batting first had been bowled out for 97 and the team chasing were 1/45 in reply with 30 overs up their sleeve. The game now restarts from scratch next weekend.

Do other associations vary their heat polices to ensure a result in major rounds, in particularly GF's? if the heat policy applies, in what circumstances are you called off and then how is the match handled ie: resume from where the match was left, or do you replay the match from scratch?

PDCA is cut and dry, if it's predicted 40 degrees or more in Elizabeth on channel 9 6pm news the night before, the day is canceled, if it's day one, it will be a one day match with two day rules for the Sunday, if day two is heated out then if a result hasn't been reached on day one, the higher ranked team takes the bickies, same as if both days are heated out.

It's the same as washout's really, I've been on both sides of the ledger, it sucks but you just gotta finish higher.

It burnt me a couple of times as a coach for juniors and womens, instead of trying to flog everyone and finish top, I was trying to work on the lesser skilled players throughout the season therefore we dipped out on a couple of possible outrights or wins as I wouldn't change the order to elevate my better batters.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Corona Man » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:42 pm

Yep I've been on both ends of the "pineapple" when it comes to heated out finals. But starting the game from scratch is new on me.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby saintal » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:47 pm

Torrens Valley CA play 1 day games. Games are abandoned if the forecast for Adelaide is 40 or more. The heat ruling doesn't vary for finals from the minor round.

Semis- The higher rank teams progress if game abandoned. There is no provision to play the game on the Sunday. We got screwed by this on the weekend just gone as we finished third. Imagine the by-laws will be adjusted for next season to allow some contingency.

Grand Final- The following Saturday is available if the game cant proceed on the original date. If at least 1 ball is bowled on the original date before the game is abandoned (ie due to rain), the higher ranked team wins regardless of the state of the game or how many overs have been bowled.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:11 pm

Hills CA got caught on this a few years back with a heated out GF Saturday and premierships won without a ball being bowled, for B,C & D grades (all one day comp's) I believe they now keep the Sunday free as a reserve day if required.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:04 pm

If your finals are getting heated out you're playing them too early!

Footy trial games will just have to wait.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby whufc » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:11 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
The Angry Bull wrote:I am interested in other posters views on the application of heat policies to major rounds.

PDCA is cut and dry, if it's predicted 40 degrees or more in Elizabeth on channel 9 6pm news the night before, the day is canceled, if it's day one, it will be a one day match with two day rules for the Sunday, if day two is heated out then if a result hasn't been reached on day one, the higher ranked team takes the bickies, same as if both days are heated out.

It's the same as washout's really, I've been on both sides of the ledger, it sucks but you just gotta finish higher.

It burnt me a couple of times as a coach for juniors and womens, instead of trying to flog everyone and finish top, I was trying to work on the lesser skilled players throughout the season therefore we dipped out on a couple of possible outrights or wins as I wouldn't change the order to elevate my better batters.

I like the clarity of the PDCA rules except for the one Dwyer under two day rules.

I would rather it be an out and out one dayer rather than the current hybrid which isn’t played all year
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5566 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Tony Clifton » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:30 pm

https://www.naracoorteherald.com.au/sto ... l/?cs=1488

Padthaway won a tight, low scoring cricket grand final to take their first premiership in 15 years on Sunday.

The game was played in excellent conditions at Wortley Oval after being postponed from Saturday because of the extreme heat.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Trader » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:50 pm

What comp was that in Angry Bull?

The turf T20 grand final about 4 years ago started at Adelaide Oval and then was washed out. Game restarted from scratch a few days later.

It comes down to what your bylaws state.
Seems the issue is the heat rule stoping the match mid game.

Either start it and finish it, or don’t start it at all for mine.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby The Old Fellow » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:11 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:If your finals are getting heated out you're playing them too early!

Footy trial games will just have to wait.

There were semi and grand finals heated out at the end of March four or five seasons ago.
The Old Fellow
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 24 times
Grassroots Team: Barmera-Monash

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps