Heat policy? What heat policy........

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

by heater31 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:07 pm

bay boy wrote:All games should be played, it should be left up to the individual if they want to play or not !!

Heat policy is for soft, pathetic cricketers

sorry Bay boy but its designed for the ones who get blind on friday nites and the older blokes over 35 who still think that they are 18. If you take your cricket seriously enough you should prepare the night before with plenty of the right fluids and during the day and you should have a problem. trust me it works that last hot day where most games were called off I thought it was only 38 max but I was wrong and felt comfortable considering the conditions
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1264 times

by rod_rooster » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:49 pm

Ian wrote:
bay boy wrote:All games should be played, it should be left up to the individual if they want to play or not !!

Heat policy is for soft, pathetic cricketers

I think the heats affected your brain :roll: You can't seriously think it's safe to play on 40+ days, people will still play if there is no heat policy, just so they don't let their team mates down, not because they really want to be out in the middle frying.

You have a very good point Ian. The heat policy is designed to ensure the safety of all players in the association. If there is no heat policy everyone will play for the reasons you stated. People must remember that we are not talking about first class cricket and elite athletes. There are no real medical facilities available to suburban cricket and the level of fitness and age of players also varies greatly. The welfare of players must be looked after.

Personally i like to play on really hot days but i can see the common sense in having a heat policy.
rod_rooster
Coach

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 24 times

by oxa » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:26 am

Well its a hot one again today. i agree with bay boy. after all its a summer sport if your not upto it as a person dont play. you dont see international games being called off for heat.
oxa

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0 time

by Dutchy » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:23 am

Well game on for us...needs to be forecast 41 degrees at 9.00am this morning, only getting to 40 8) ...thnakgod as we need to play today to make the finals
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2331 times
Been liked: 3555 times

by bystander » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:16 am

Have been having this same conversation on another thread. The PLCA (Pt Lincoln Assoc) has a heat policy, but there seems to be some conjecture as to how & when it's implemented. The understanding is that it goes off the 10am radio report on the ABC. However some believe if the forecast is 38 or higher play is cancelled, others believe if the actual temp at 10am is 38 or higher play is cancelled. On checking the constitution last night there is no mention of a heat policy in there!!! Very confusing. :? :?
Being 1 of those elite 30+ year olds i do remember a couple of years ago (before the heat policy) playing in 43 deg heat. We had drinks every 10 overs, other than that we played as per normal. Needless to after a beers on the friday night i felt like i was going to die, have embraced my age since then tho!!
bystander
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time

by rod_rooster » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:29 am

oxa wrote:Well its a hot one again today. i agree with bay boy. after all its a summer sport if your not upto it as a person dont play. you dont see international games being called off for heat.

Yes it's a summer sport and no International games don't get called off, but International players are professional athletes who at their games have all the best medical facilities available to them. Fact is that for many people who play suburban cricket (and lets remember we are talking suburban cricket here) it would not be 100% safe playing in 40C plus heat. Comparing International sport to part time social sports is not being realistic oxa.
rod_rooster
Coach

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 24 times

by bystander » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:24 am

It's all over for us today. Just remembered a Henderson Shield (inter assoc.) game earlier this season where i captained the 2nd eleven against Kimba at Buckleboo, (central Eyre Penninsula). If it wasn't 47 that day i'll eat my hat, my god it was hot. Not a good day to loose the toss. Fielding all day then trying to chase 350 in 50 overs was never going to happen. The boys did open the footy change rooms for tho, thank christ!!!
bystander
Reserves

Re: Heat policy? What heat policy........

by Gowser » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:18 pm

Booney wrote:The assosciation that I play in,Adelaide and Suburban has adopted a heat policy,at the the beginning of last year IIRC.This was as a result of two section 1 teams in 04/05 taking matters into their own hands and on a forecast day of 42 degrees deciding to play a one-dayer the following week.In due course the assosciation decided to take the points away from the winner of the one-dayer,also IIRC.

That's not entirely accurate. I was one of those captains and to quote the umpire when asked by a player what was happening "It's up to them (the captains), what are you guys goin to do?" It was then we agreed to play a onedayer the following week. What happened after that regarding the umpires report and subsequent meetings with A&SCA board was a complete joke.

For the record it got to 45C that day.
Gowser
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Wunkar

Previous

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps