Adelaide Oval

Adelaide Footy League, Southern, Country Footy, VFL, WAFL, NTFL, etc.

Adelaide Oval

Postby redandblack » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:09 pm

by redandblack

I used to go to the Adelaide Oval a lot as a kid. A bus to town, which meant Victoria Square in those days, walk to the Oval past the old City Baths, across the bridge and through the gate into the greatest cricket ground in the world.

If it wasn’t football season, I’d be there to watch Shield Cricket, but more often Adelaide CC playing on the No 2 ground. I’d help with the scoreboard, chat with the players, sometimes go to net practice and I’d also learnt that if you stood on the top row seat backing in the main Oval stand, you could also see part of what was happening at the No 2 ground. I’d always hope to get a ride back into town, but more often than not it would be the walk back, thinking about what I’d seen that day, but always revelling in the atmosphere of that great ground.

In footy season, I’d tag along with my father and an uncle as they managed to get from the West End of the city to the Oval, stopping of course at a pub on the way and then making a difficult transfer between the Morphett Street bridges across the rail line to the Oval. I used to think there should be an easier way.

However, when you arrive, even if it’s a Reserves match, there’s nothing like the anticipation of what you’ll see when you first walk in to a sports ground and that feeling multiplies when it’s the Adelaide Oval. Seagulls and the old scoreboard, usually telling me that West’s Reserves, well it used to be Senior Colts then, were on their way to another loss. The league team was different. They used to win most of the time, unless we were playing the hated Port. Times have changed.

The way back on match day was different, in that we’d walk back along King William Street for a more prolonged stay at a different pub. I’d be outside, of course, times were different then, but I knew we’d be on our way again soon after 6.

The first time I stepped on to the Oval officially was as part of one of the South Adelaide zone junior teams. Don’t let that fool you, I was usually the one who just missed out on playing. And rightly so, on ability. I did get in the photo in the paper, though. “Look, that’s my left boot”.

At that time, although I never missed a West match if I could help it, cricket was my greatest love. Playing on that No 2 ground brought back nice memories and I’d be at the Oval whenever I could. Grand Finals, Shield matches, District games, it was always with a silent thanks for such a wonderful environment.

Time moved on and I moved on to play Turf cricket for many, many years, always still following the Bloods though, through the ups and downs, with lots of downs, so my visits to the Oval became fewer.

It was announced that they would build what became the Chappell Stands. Disgraceful, I thought, it will ruin the view. They announced they would have lights, retractable so as to not ruin the ambience. Disgraceful, I thought, another step on the road to ruining MY Oval. My brother calmed me by saying they would also build retractable grandstands.

Time moved on more and they announced they would knock down the southern stand and build a new stand, named after Don Bradman. Disgraceful, I thought, it would break up the feeling of the ground and ruin it. By that time, my next attendance was special for me; to be honoured with several other cricket lovers by being presented with a special award for our services to cricket by Ian McLachlan during a one-day International. It had been a long time since I stood on the top row seats to see the No 2 ground.

So they announced that stand would be pulled down and a new stand complex built. By that time, I’d given up the disgraceful response, so I waited and went to the Big Bash Final to see for myself. I’m a traditionalist, so I loved the cricket but wasn’t so keen on the razzamatazz after the first hour or so.

What I did love, though, was the new stand and I still loved my old Adelaide Oval. In footy season, I’d been lucky enough to run water for the Bloods on that wonderful turf on so many occasions. I did that on all the SANFL grounds, but the Adelaide Oval was the only one where I replaced the divots. I’d have a kick before the Reserves game with some of the players. They were thinking of the match ahead; I was thinking how lucky I was.

And so to now.

More than most, I know why some people want to vote ‘No’. That’s their right, even if I disagree with them, but they’re only thinking what I thought for years.

The world has changed and the Adelaide Oval has changed with it.

It always will and in my opinion, it’s the better for all the changes. I’m hoping change will happen and if it does, I’m looking forward to that same feeling of anticipation as I had when I walked up past the old City Baths all those years ago. Those Baths aren’t there now. There’s a Festival Theatre where they used to be.

I’m also hoping there’ll be a footbridge directly to the Oval as well. I could have done with it all those years ago.
redandblack

Re: Adelaide Oval

Postby godoubleblues » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:05 pm

nice read, cheers for that
godoubleblues
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Millicent

Postby Gingernuts » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:15 am

Great read r&b.

On a similar vein I had the privilege of visiting Lords last year, and the even greater privilege of being allowed onto the turf during the lunch break.

Gee there's some terrible architecture at that ground. Apart from the iconic members stand it's just a series of concrete slabs lined with plastic seats with a UFO at one end......

..... but it's still Lords, and it took my breath away.
Gingernuts
League - Top 5

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Langhorne Creek

Postby smac » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:38 pm

Thanks for sharing R&B.

Interestingly, 100 years ago there was an outcry about development at Adelaide Oval. SACA wanted to put a scoreboard in place.

Turned out OK.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby mickey » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:55 pm

Fantastic read R&B, dont usually read all the way through these but this was very entertaining and a very well told story :)
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 314 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby stampy » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:19 pm

loved it!
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 66 times