New Metro/Country Footy Clubs

Adelaide Footy League, Southern, Country Footy, VFL, WAFL, NTFL, etc.

Re: New Metro/Country Footy Clubs

Postby McGovern » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:17 pm

Seeing this has become a 'what clubs have merged' topic, I'll post which ones from the Hills that I know of:
* Eastern Rangers merged with Uraidla in the late 90's to become Uraidla Districts (It wasn't much of a 'merger' though, I think Rangers would have folded). Uraidla added 'Districts' to their name and became the 'Demons' instead of 'Redlegs' - Rangers went from being 'Saints' to 'Demons'! Uraidla Districts don't play any football at Ashton, the Rangers former home ground.
* The Mt. Torrens 'Bombers' and Pleasant Valley 'Roos' merged at about the same time to become the Torrens Valley 'Mountain Lions'. Their junior sides had merged a few years previously and had been playing as The 'Bomberoos'. This was a genuine merger as they created a 'hybrid' guernsey and share playing venues. Not sure how the committee was formed but the club is obviously still going strong.
* Mt. Torrens/Cambrai had a combined team for a period between the 70's & 90's. I'm not sure on the details, perhaps someone involved could elaborate. I'm not sure on the later Sedan 'Roos' and Cambrai 'Magpies' merger either.
* Nairne/Bremer are a combined outfit from the 50's?? who did a stint in the RMFL and came back to the Hills via what used to be Div. 1.
Milang have come and gone from the Hills on more than one occasion, Lenswood Ranges folded in the 80's?, Woodside Army had a team at one stage (not sure of the dates), and in recent years Kangarilla and Meadows have rejoined the Hills League but I don't know much about their history's except that Meadows were once the 'Peckers'. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Birdwood, Gumeracha, Kersbrook, Echunga and Macclesfield have remained largely unchanged throughout their history's.
From Central Division:
Mt. Lofty are the product of the Stirling - Heathfield/Aldgate United merger (insert date).
Not sure if Onkaparinga Valley are the result of a merger.
Over the years various junior outfits have been created from a blend of two clubs (usually large clubs with a surplus of kids topping up a smaller club's team) with such names as 'Black Thunders', 'Maccybank' and 'Ironfield' but there are too many to name.
Footy for free
McGovern
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: South Augusta

Postby FlyingHigh » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:10 pm

McG, Lenswood merged with Ashton to form Eastern Ranges.
Onkas are a merger of Woodside and obviously an Oakbank or Balhannah team, but I'm not sure if they were called one of these towns or something else. Think this was about late 60's
Pleasant Valley was originally a merger of Mount Pleasant, Eden Valley, Springton, and maybe even one other team.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 176 times

Postby 200 Killer Wasps » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:47 pm

I'm reading a book about anti-gravity. I can't put it down.
200 Killer Wasps
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Wunkar

Postby Animus » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:52 pm

McLaren Eagles in the GSFL, formed around 1999?

Made up from McLaren Flat Eagles, McLaren Vale Crushers & McLaren District Kings (junior football club)

Should have kept either the kings or crushers name as they are unique but held onto the 'eagles' as a reminder of the flat, the club is based at the vale.
Animus
Under 16s

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby Dan The Man » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:05 pm

My old club Wingfield Royals was formed in 1980.It was formed by a merger from the original Wingfield Football Club whose colours were blue and yellow and Woodville Royals.Woodville Royals colours were green and yellow and their home ground was Fawk Reserve where West Croydon play.I believe that they were formed as a breakaway from Royal Park.
Dan The Man

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Ian » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:21 pm

McGovern wrote:Seeing this has become a 'what clubs have merged' topic, I'll post which ones from the Hills that I know of:
* Eastern Rangers merged with Uraidla in the late 90's to become Uraidla Districts (It wasn't much of a 'merger' though, I think Rangers would have folded). Uraidla added 'Districts' to their name and became the 'Demons' instead of 'Redlegs' - Rangers went from being 'Saints' to 'Demons'! Uraidla Districts don't play any football at Ashton, the Rangers former home ground.

Eastern Ranges themselves were an amalgamation of Lenswood Rangers FC and another club that I cant recall (might have been Ashton), I played for Lenswood when I moved down from the country in 1981, that was the last year Lenswood were known as Lenswood, the year after they became Eastern Rangers. The other club (Ashton?) had basically folded and didn't field a side in 81, the amalgamation happened after the 81 season.
Lenswood's strip was Green & Red vertical stripes & the home ground was Lenswood Oval
North Adelaide F C : Champions of Aust 1972 : Premiers 1900, 02, 05, 20, 30, 31, 49, 52, 60, 71, 72, 87, 91
Ian

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 93 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby Bat Pad » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:27 pm

McGovern wrote:Seeing this has become a 'what clubs have merged' topic, I'll post which ones from the Hills that I know of:
* The Mt. Torrens 'Bombers' and Pleasant Valley 'Roos' merged at about the same time to become the Torrens Valley 'Mountain Lions'. Their junior sides had merged a few years previously and had been playing as The 'Bomberoos'. This was a genuine merger as they created a 'hybrid' guernsey and share playing venues. Not sure how the committee was formed but the club is obviously still going strong.
* Mt. Torrens/Cambrai had a combined team for a period between the 70's & 90's. I'm not sure on the details, perhaps someone involved could elaborate. I'm not sure on the later Sedan 'Roos' and Cambrai 'Magpies' merger either.
* Nairne/Bremer are a combined outfit from the 50's?? who did a stint in the RMFL and came back to the Hills via what used to be Div. 1.
Milang have come and gone from the Hills on more than one occasion, Lenswood Ranges folded in the 80's?, Woodside Army had a team at one stage (not sure of the dates), and in recent years Kangarilla and Meadows have rejoined the Hills League but I don't know much about their history's except that Meadows were once the 'Peckers'. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Birdwood, Gumeracha, Kersbrook, Echunga and Macclesfield have remained largely unchanged throughout their history's.
From Central Division:
Mt. Lofty are the product of the Stirling - Heathfield/Aldgate United merger (insert date).
Not sure if Onkaparinga Valley are the result of a merger.
Over the years various junior outfits have been created from a blend of two clubs (usually large clubs with a surplus of kids topping up a smaller club's team) with such names as 'Black Thunders', 'Maccybank' and 'Ironfield' but there are too many to name.

Not sure about that one, think they used to be the mayflowers or something like that and were Blue and Gold, but that was way back, like the 1920's.
Bat Pad
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 1 time

Postby Sky Pilot » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:36 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:I could be wrong 7-dog, but didn't Gladstone Combine change their name to Rocky River and back before the merger with L/W?

If you get the Sunday Mail this week and look at the Country Footy colour lift-out you find all these questions and others answered.
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby best on hill » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:41 pm

EEFL have a new club to compete in 2012 season, the "EASTERN RANGES" football and netball club, it is a merger between the rudall rams and the cleve bombers. i believe they will be the kangaroos. the teams colours will wear blue and white.

other teams that have merged in the EEFL are ports arno bay and port niell, kimba and districts merger between kimba, kelly and buckleboo footy clubs and one team that folded in the 90s darke peak/wadikee blues
COWELL FOOTBALL CLUB est.1901
premiers 1902,04,07,22,24,26,27,28,31,32,34,37,38,39,46,50,52,53,54,55,58,59,69(cowell north),96,99,2006,07,09
oldest club on E.P.!
best on hill
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Cowell

Postby marbles » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:32 pm

Fitzroy lions merged with brisbane bears to become a new club called the brisbane lions hehe
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 277 times
Been liked: 259 times

Postby Sky Pilot » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:37 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:I could be wrong 7-dog, but didn't Gladstone Combine change their name to Rocky River and back before the merger with L/W?

Gladstone Combine rebadged itself to be Rocky River Raiders for one season in 2001 under Solly premiership player Mark Hunt as coach. They played in Freo guernseys. in 2002 they amalgamated with Laura-Wirrabara and became the Southern Flinders Tigers. Hunt got the gig as coach, got them into the GF against Orroroo but lost 10.16 (76) to 14.6 (90). Hunt was shafted soon after.
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Previous

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues