SAFA

Adelaide Footy League, Southern, Country Footy, VFL, WAFL, NTFL, etc.

Re: SAFA

Postby marbles » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:59 pm

SAFA year books

What would the safa year books include?
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 259 times

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:01 pm

bulldogs wrote:huge memories. what a game that mathews lad played in this gf.

Well if it isn't the mutual admiration society
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 533 times

Postby Whiteline » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:11 pm

I played for Henley in those days and I'm still spewing about the '91 GF against Pooraka. We had the game in the bag late in the game but somehow lost by a point. Pooraka had a ruckman called Simpson and he killed us every time we played them. He was unstoppable on GF day too and just ran and marked everything. Apparently Henley offered him some big dough at the end of '90 to get him to Henley but he didn't want to lave Pooraka.
Whiteline

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby beeroclock » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:10 pm

I played that game and we won by 7 points. Dawkins ran past Simo when you blokes hit the front in the last 1/4 holding his package and told Simo to suck this. Guess what Simo told Dawkins to do after the final siren. We knew you'd come home strong after you blokes were 6 goal down in the 3rd. Gave the Bulls three in a row that flag. Sharks got their revenge 2 seasons later. Top game of footy that one. Did you get involved when Tankosic took on half your side on the grandstand side in the 2nd 1/4? One very big man.
beeroclock
League - Best 21

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 53 times

Postby Whiteline » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:32 am

Yeah it was 7 points. I didn't know Big Dawks mouthed off at Simpson but I'm sure Simmo had the last laugh. We thought that you blokes had stopped and that we'd run all over you. I remember our boys spewing that Simpson win the BOG medal that day because even though he dominated the game, he belted one of our blokes and I think he got got reported. I think our coach Homan and rucks Hicksy and Coatsey are still having nightmares. There were dust ups all day and I can't remember that brawl. You guys were always tough, not like Edwardstown who THOUGHT they were tough but weren't. SAFA was a pretty bloody good comp back then too.
Whiteline

Postby beeroclock » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:50 pm

We had our 20 year reunion a couple of weeks ago,cant believe it was that long ago,top day but. Simmo didnt get reported maybe a quick one two was ok back then. We saw it on video at the reunion and had a laugh because thats the first tlme he had belted anybody. May have been Frayz or McDowell. What pozzie you play?
beeroclock
League - Best 21

Postby bulldogs » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:03 pm

dont recall to much of the game but do remember it being a cracker, played in it also thankfully on the winning side. always tough contests against henley. hicks wasnt bad in the ruck either simmo and hicks had some great duels. used to do a bit of tagging and had the job on wormald a couple of times , hated that job. we used to call the edwardstown tinstletown all glamour and bravo but not much ticker. great times
bulldogs
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 15 times

Postby marbles » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:40 pm

Would there be a possibility of getting a copy of the tape? Ur thoughts? Cos hav a way to make it public

or the 92 or 93 hence sharks
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby MatteeG » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:17 pm

beeroclock wrote: Did you get involved when Tankosic took on half your side on the grandstand side in the 2nd 1/4? One very big man.

As in Dragan?
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby interested observer » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:07 pm

MatteeG wrote:
beeroclock wrote: Did you get involved when Tankosic took on half your side on the grandstand side in the 2nd 1/4? One very big man.

As in Dragan?

Dragan it was..
Played a bit of footy with his younger brother Milan at Woodville too..
A bigger unit again but not as mad as Dragan...
interested observer
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 1 time

Postby beeroclock » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:09 pm

MatteeG wrote:

As in Dragan?

Yeh mate. Where is the big guy,do you know? Has never been back to Poorac's since he finished id reckon.
beeroclock
League - Best 21

Postby beeroclock » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:11 pm

interested observer wrote:
MatteeG wrote:

As in Dragan?

Dragan it was..

No left footers allowed on this forum.
beeroclock
League - Best 21

Postby interested observer » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:12 pm

beeroclock wrote:
interested observer wrote:
MatteeG wrote:

As in Dragan?

Dragan it was..

No left footers allowed on this forum.

Are you questioning my sexuality ?? :lol:
interested observer
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 1 time

Postby bulldogs » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:52 pm

beeroclock wrote:
MatteeG wrote:

As in Dragan?

Yeh mate. Where is the big guy,do you know? Has never been back to Poorac's since he finished id reckon.

was for me the best player for Pooraka had thru that era of 89-92, fearsome man with a great pair of hands, he made you walk 3 ft taller.pooraka had some great players like Simmo, Dasher, jonesy ,niesen and many more but for mind big Dragan won games for you.
bulldogs
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 15 times

Postby beeroclock » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:11 am

marbles wrote:Would there be a possibility of getting a copy of the tape? Ur thoughts? Cos hav a way to make it public

or the 92 or 93 hence sharks

I have a copy of the 91 gf on vhs.
beeroclock
League - Best 21

Postby marbles » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:15 pm

Far out

How would you like to work on a project to make the game available online for all supporters to see?

A series of steps obviously to get it done, but it will bring some of the old SAFA days back to life and you can play a big part in it, consequently being the guy who made it happen.

Although sharks lost its a celebration of those times, as i also have the Div2 1983 video also on the way.

Would you be keen to get involved? Is there way to discuss this further privately?
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby bionic_knee » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:18 am

Maybe wrote:SAFA killed off a lot of clubs, because of the money paid to league has beens
Even to a point where some clubs ( Ferryden Pk ) ceased to exist

It wasn't SAFA that killed Ferryden Pk, 5 coaches in 5 years caused angst and uncertainty amongst players and after the last ever coach in Ian Dettman left there wasn't anyone who could hold the club together...West Croydon were the benefactors with 20+ players and 5 future A Grade coaches (Meaker, Mills, Lennon, Stubberfield, McPherson) crossing Hanson Rd and creating some successful years.
To this day there are still alot of people at The Hawks originally from 'Ferrys'.
bionic_knee
Mini-League

Grassroots Team: West Croydon

Previous

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues