RIP Gary Parker

Adelaide Footy League, Southern, Country Footy, VFL, WAFL, NTFL, etc.

RIP Gary Parker

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:34 pm

It is with considerable sorrow that I advise that Gary Parker passed away this week

Unfortunately, I dont have Gary's complete history but know that he was a State Amateur player in 1983, 1985 (Vice Captain) and 1986. He was made an All Australian in 1986.

Parks went to school at Brighton High and played footy with Glenelg and South Adelaide.

He played at Port Districts, Seaton Ramblers and coached PAOC from 1984 - 86 when we were in A1

I saw Gary this year when he came out to watch us at Park 9 and we spent the afternoon laughing about some of our antics when he was at PAOC, and he then came back the next week to the Past Players Day and met up with many of his charges from the A1 era.

Gary was a popular bloke and coach who never said a bad word about anyone. Although he went through some personal problems in the past few years, he always wore that trademark grin whenever he met up with anyone he knew.

I was going to do a "Have a Coupla Jars with Jimmy" with Parks over summer, but, to my utmost sorrow, I have now missed the opportunity to have another talk with a great footballer, but even more; a great bloke

Vale Parks
Last edited by Jimmy_041 on Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Re: RIP Gary Parker

Postby The Yetti » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:46 pm

You are spot on Jimmy.
A real good bloke.

I got to know him in 1974 at Glenelg where we played footy together.
A good Full Forward who had good hands and a great kick.
Last time I caught up with him he was a teacher.
Cheers Gaz
SO MANY IDIOTS
SO FEW BULLETS
The Yetti
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: McLaren

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:56 am

A great celebration today of a great blokes life

They couldn't fit everyone in the chapel. There were people from the majority of the powerhouse footy clubs

Parks would have had a great time

RIP Gazza....miss you mate
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby CK » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:59 am

A very sad story, beautifully written, in today's Advertiser by Graham Cornes about this gentleman. He was a teacher at Netley Primary School when I was starting school and while I have only very dim memories of him, reading this story was a very saddening experience. If it encourages just one person who is experiencing intense personal difficulties to seek help, then it goes some way toward helping.
Can you guess where I'm calling from, the Las Vegas Hilton...
CK
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:24 pm

CK wrote:A very sad story, beautifully written, in today's Advertiser by Graham Cornes about this gentleman. He was a teacher at Netley Primary School when I was starting school and while I have only very dim memories of him, reading this story was a very saddening experience. If it encourages just one person who is experiencing intense personal difficulties to seek help, then it goes some way toward helping.

Unfortunately, the column was incorrect in the last sentence. There were many that tried to help and did everything possible to help him, but, unfortunately, Gary had already decided his fate. It really is so sad.
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Hondo » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:04 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:Unfortunately, the column was incorrect in the last sentence. There were many that tried to help and did everything possible to help him, but, unfortunately, Gary had already decided his fate. It really is so sad.

I did not know of him before however your comment underlined together with Cornesy's article really moved me. It does indeed sound so sad. :(

It's hard to reconcile his earlier life with the more recent times described.

My condolences to you Jimmy and to his family and friends.
In between signatures .....
Hondo
Coach

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby The BulldogLover » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:03 pm

Had the opportunity to have a couple of beers with Gary at the Bartley Hotel this year and thouroughly enjoyed talkin about footy. Unfortunatley as Jimmy has touched on, Gazz had a few personal issues... But now is resting inpeace..Our condolences to Gary,s family and friends and the PAOC footy club...R.I.P gazz. From the Rosewater Footy Club :( :(
The BulldogLover
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues