SA Footy - Reflections Part 1

Adelaide Footy League, Southern, Country Footy, VFL, WAFL, NTFL, etc.

SA Footy - Reflections Part 1

Postby redandblack » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:00 am

Contributed by SA Footy Member "redandblack"

Like so many at the time, I registered with SA Footy on its first day. Along with other refugees from the pioneering Footy SA, we happily embraced the lifeline thrown to us by Wedgie’s computer skills and grasped what we thought at the time was a temporary replacement for our much loved SANFL site.

Tentatively at first, then with more confidence, we transferred some of the traditions of that original site. Some, such as the notorious *, live on. Others, such as the spelling of ‘reckon’ seem to have slipped away into oblivion and I reakon that’s a pity.

Those days are long gone now, of course, but the evolution of our site continues. What was originally a forum to discuss the SANFL competition and brag about or bemoan our team’s players and performances, has now expanded into so many different areas of interest serving a diverse community of users.

We’re all different and I suspect when we log in we all start at different places. What is common, though, is that I suspect we’re all looking for the same things – news, a laugh, a bit of rivalry, some challenges, sometimes excitement, occasional disagreement (did I say occasional?), but always with a tinge or more of passion. I usually start with the SANFL threads, but each forum has its own devotees and its own characters. Like any community, there are vast differences of opinions, personalities and styles. Regular users often don’t need to look to see who has contributed a post, they know just by reading it. If you can’t immediately tell whether mal, or Dog_ger, or Pseudo, or REB (regards, mate) have authored a particular post, you’re new to the site, or not paying attention.

We’ve shared experiences and shared some joys. We’ve shared sadnesses on occasions, often not knowing how to help, but finding some comfort in hoping the collective thoughts and goodwill of so many friends on this site might find their way to those who might be helped just a little by it.

The SANFL threads alone are a revelation. All teams have their regular posters and we’re all the same, only different. An identifiable culture builds within each team’s supporters and within the SANFL-following community. My favourite posters inhabit this forum and, to me, it’s the heart of the site. The SA Footy era has been dominated by Central District and their fans have plenty to boast about – and some make sure they do. Several don’t, even though they’re entitled to. They just hope for another premiership next year, a wish some of the rest of us don’t quite understand after so many flags in a row for the Dogs. We do understand, of course, they’re just the same as the rest of us.

You can’t have a site without rivalries and I’ve developed a sneaking suspicion that there’s a tiny bit of history between a few Glenelg and North supporters. I’ve learnt that Mouse allegedly ducks his head and that the Bays allegedly choke. I’ve learnt (allegedly) that the Roosters have a never-ending supply of paper bags (always brown) and I’ve learnt that if you put the word allegedly in front of everything, you are exempt from legal action.

Forget the official media, too. I know that if anything is happening behind the scenes in the SANFL, reading SA Footy will give you the facts (allegedly). Never before have there been so many well-informed posters on any site. On reflection, I have to say that none of the posters ever seem to know anything themselves, but they all, without exception, have their “sources”. I am impressed by this and jealous that I have none.

You must remember that all sources fit into a few categories. It will take a separate full article another time to analyse this properly, but some attributes are constant. Sources are always ‘reliable’; usually divided into the sub-sections of the mild ‘very reliable’, or the stronger ‘extremely reliable’. In all cases they actually belong to a poster, as in “my sources”. I trust these sources almost without exception, the exception being when two sources say the exact opposite. This happens often, unfortunately, but when it does, I always trust the ‘extremely reliable’ before the ‘very reliable’. If that method doesn’t work, go for the ‘sources close to the Club’. They are much more mysterious and demand to be believed.

Unfortunately, those rare posters who name their sources seem to disappear from the site soon after.

What I have also learnt from the SANFL Forum is just how intelligent, polite and reasonable are the West Adelaide supporters. I rarely find anything with which to disagree when they contribute and I’m appalled when other teams’ fans disgracefully attack and denigrate them. It was just through bad luck and the umpires that we didn’t make the top 8 through those years. Some posters even disagree violently with my fair and reasoned contributions at times (well, most of the time, actually). I reakon they’ll see the error of their ways when we get on top* in 2010.

There are so many forums to visit. For me, the Geography, Rebus and other puzzles set by the one and only Mags and A Mum, who has brought a much needed burst of freshness and enthusiasm to us, are a must. I’m also one of the few to check out the latest offerings in the Politics section. How could some of the posters on there think the way they do? How could they query the way I think? They do, often and we share PM’s at times. That’s really annoying, because I finish up liking them, despite their obviously mistaken beliefs. Bloody site (don’t get me started on the swear filter, that’s another ………....... article).

Then there are my ‘black holes’. The regionals, another world I’ve been too frightened to venture into, although it’s not as scary as the IT forum (I’m hoping to learn how to put a picture up one day). The Gambling forum is another ‘no-go’ area for me, although I did part-own and race a pacer many years ago.

Controversy? Well, I’ve been a Moderator (much to the chagrin of many, including the Moderators) since ‘day one’, (a phrase usually only uttered by category 276 Crows ticket-holders phoning 5AA). We’re often accused of bias and ridiculous and inconsistent decision-making. That, of course, is undeniably true, but there’s a good cross-section of us and we make these bad decisions with the best of intentions at all times. Just remember, if you’ve been harmed by a wrong Mods’ decision, I voted against it.

Well, this was supposed to be a concise first summary of SA Footy, but it turned out to be a bit of a ramble, not sticking to the subject and becoming a bit irrelevant at times, hopefully having some enjoyable bits, but probably infuriating most readers.

A bit like SA Footy, actually.
redandblack

Re: SA Footy - Reflections Part 1

Postby Psyber » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:26 am

Apt, and well put, R&B!
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Dutchy » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:44 am

Great stuff R&B
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3506 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:54 am

Fist time Ive actually totally agreed with you
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Wedgie » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:59 am

What a great read, thanks for that r&b! :D
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Thiele » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:02 am

Excellent read MR r&b
James Ezard Joint 2009 Magarey Medalist

Personal views only not views of the West Adelaide Footy Club or Bedford Indstries
Thiele
Coach

Has liked: 149 times
Been liked: 80 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:41 am

Last edited by Jimmy_041 on Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Mickyj » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:54 am

redandblack wrote:Contributed by SA Footy Member "redandblack"

Forget the official media, too. I know that if anything is happening behind the scenes in the SANFL, reading SA Footy will give you the facts (allegedly). Never before have there been so many well-informed posters on any site. On reflection, I have to say that none of the posters ever seem to know anything themselves, but they all, without exception, have their “sources”. I am impressed by this and jealous that I have none.

You must remember that all sources fit into a few categories. It will take a separate full article another time to analyse this properly, but some attributes are constant. Sources are always ‘reliable’; usually divided into the sub-sections of the mild ‘very reliable’, or the stronger ‘extremely reliable’. In all cases they actually belong to a poster, as in “my sources”. I trust these sources almost without exception, the exception being when two sources say the exact opposite. This happens often, unfortunately, but when it does, I always trust the ‘extremely reliable’ before the ‘very reliable’. If that method doesn’t work, go for the ‘sources close to the Club’. They are much more mysterious and demand to be believed.

What I have also learnt from the SANFL Forum is just how intelligent, polite and reasonable are the West Adelaide supporters. I rarely find anything with which to disagree when they contribute and I’m appalled when other teams’ fans disgracefully attack and denigrate them. It was just through bad luck and the umpires that we didn’t make the top 8 through those years. Some posters even disagree violently with my fair and reasoned contributions at times (well, most of the time, actually). I reakon they’ll see the error of their ways when we get on top* in 2010.

Well written R&B .
Firstly let me say I was stunned by the amount of online Westies fans I met at Richmond oval .I think there was beacon around Mickyj that day ;)

Sources are great aren't they apart from being accused of quoting the pie lady up the road mine shall remain nameless.And as I told a "SOURCE"
when they swear me to secrecy .I come home turn on my PC and what I have been told is already posted on SA FOOTY!

Well written R&B keep up the good work :D
Land based Lure Bream Fisherman
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 22 times

Postby godoubleblues » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:41 pm

that is a great post R&B, this site would be the 2nd I look at when I log on everyday behind db.org
I was another who registered on day 1, no 7 in fact, and I have enjoyed hopping on and having a read of most threads over the last 4 and a bit years, my how time flies
I must admit I dont have too much to say but certainly contribute to the quiz forum
godoubleblues
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Millicent

Postby CK » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:13 pm

Great post, R&B :) . Many of us were on footysa when that was at its peak and really got into it big time. I hadn't heard of that site when it first started, until an umpire alerted me to it - proving that the men in white do occasionally read these sites!

The sad decline of reakon has been noted over time. It's become a bit like the disappearance of "hoo-roo" (a word I still use a lot and get odd looks from people under 25) as a farewell term. Some of the other chuckles of footysa, such as some infamous Tales that appeared a few times, still make me laugh now.

Good to have this site around to keep us all in touch* with each other as well as a number of the other forums. It's been great for me to have a Music forum, for example, to discuss one of the true loves* of life, in music, with so many like minded people (okay, okay - so not ALL of us are fans of Little River Band, The Eagles, Supertramp...bah to those who aren't ;) )

Has been a real pleasure to meet so many posters from here at the footy - people who I am proud to call mates in life - and even funnier to be present when two protagonists meet for the first time (believe me, its even funnier when each isn't aware of who the other is - a situation I have been placed in a moral quandry with, knowing the identity of each person!!).
Can you guess where I'm calling from, the Las Vegas Hilton...
CK
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby MatteeG » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:33 pm

I reakon the spelling changed with the demise of Reakon man and Fatal (Fat Alberton).

But I reakon its gonna make a comeback...

PS nice ramble R & B...
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Hondo » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:08 pm

Firstly, great journal R&B

Secondly, I only got onto the FootySA thing about 1 month before it stopped. So, can someone explain the * without laughing at me for not knowing

I don't see it as much these days but I always wonder about it when I do
In between signatures .....
Hondo
Coach

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby spell_check » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:31 pm

Officially it was basically the NTTAWWT symbol (not that there's anything wrong with that), but it's really used to highlight a double entendre.

Example: Hitting the ball* up* in the air.
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Postby spell_check » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:38 pm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=110

A bit of copy and paste from me before the site was gone for good should explain and highlight more terms unique to either site.
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Postby BenchedEagle » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:25 pm

Very good RnB. =D>
BenchedEagle
League - Top 5

Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 50 times