"The Mug"

Adelaide Footy League, Southern, Country Footy, VFL, WAFL, NTFL, etc.

"The Mug"

Postby Browny25 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:57 pm

Does your club offer "The Mug" as a best player award at presentations on a Saturday night?

What do you use as "The Mug"?

Any ideas / thoughts about "The Mug" would be great!
Browny25
Coach

Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Brahma Lodge

Re: "The Mug"

Postby Goldberg » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:07 pm

Was/am a massive fan of the Mug, however as many clubs have become part of the "Good Sports" franchise it is a disappearing thing in local footy :evil:

Usually a pweuter mug so as to last droppage etc. All other players at the club must pay for winners drinks for the night 1 per person
Goldberg
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby MR JUICY » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:24 pm

At Marion we have a pewter mug for the B grade & A grade.
Does not necessarily have to be the best on ground but basically whoever recieves the award at the coaches discretion and sometimes it goes to the coach - which is fair enough.
They can then tap anyone on the shoulder from the team and have it re-filled for free for the night - 1 per player.

Good Sports means there is no skulling of the beer in front of everyone but more for a cheap night having some well earnt frothies.

Great idea I reckon as long as you make sure it does not get spiked or super beers done and spoil someones night as well.
MR JUICY
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby Browny25 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:27 pm

I was thinking along the lines of a pewter mug aswell..
Browny25
Coach

Postby watchdog » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:32 pm

Browny25 wrote:I was thinking along the lines of a pewter mug aswell..

We did 1 at a previous club where BOG got the mug and his name was engraved on it. At the end of the year the person with their named engraved the most was awarded the mug to keep.
watchdog
Under 18s

Been liked: 11 times

Postby Farbs » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:00 pm

MR JUICY wrote:At Marion we have a pewter mug for the B grade & A grade.
Does not necessarily have to be the best on ground but basically whoever recieves the award at the coaches discretion and sometimes it goes to the coach - which is fair enough.
They can then tap anyone on the shoulder from the team and have it re-filled for free for the night - 1 per player.

Good Sports means there is no skulling of the beer in front of everyone but more for a cheap night having some well earnt frothies.

Great idea I reckon as long as you make sure it does not get spiked or super beers done and spoil someones night as well.

yep, exactly the same at the Valley.
I'm proud of you fellas. You all kept your head on a swivel, and that's what you gotta do when you find yourself in a vicious cock fight!
Farbs
Under 18s

Has liked: 32 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Bum Crack » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:58 pm

We have a pewter mug which is filled with beer at the presentation and the person who receives it, has to skull it, or else he doesn't get it. Once he has skulled it, he gets free piss all night until the club closes.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 321 times
Been liked: 894 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Browny25 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:02 pm

Bum Crack wrote:We have a pewter mug which is filled with beer at the presentation and the person who receives it, has to skull it, or else he doesn't get it. Once he has skulled it, he gets free piss all night until the club closes.

Responsible drinking!!! :lol: :lol:
Browny25
Coach

Postby the big bang » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:38 pm

Farbs wrote:
MR JUICY wrote:At Marion we have a pewter mug for the B grade & A grade.

yep, exactly the same at the Valley.

we used to have exactly the same rules, but if you tapped a person on the shoulder a second time, you had to buy him a drink!

we also didnt just do BOG's. i can remember a bloke got it once for hitting the post from the goal square, but later in the game snagged one from an impossible angle! and a whole heap of other random reasons!
wuuuzzzzz
the big bang
League - Top 5

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 9 times

Postby Bum Crack » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:40 pm

Browny25 wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:We have a pewter mug which is filled with beer at the presentation and the person who receives it, has to skull it, or else he doesn't get it. Once he has skulled it, he gets free piss all night until the club closes.

Responsible drinking!!! :lol: :lol:

We aren't a croquet club mate.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 321 times
Been liked: 894 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby piccachu » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:53 pm

north haven have the mug, one of the best ideas going around, dont know how much responsible drinking was going on specially when the likes of matt hood got it, the aim is to hit up the tight a55's first and the blokes that dont hang around the club then save all the blokes who are the last to leave of a saturday nght till last, but love the idea of it
Were has Marbles gone and who is Satchel
piccachu
League - Top 5

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Portland

Postby HH3 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:03 pm

Yeah i remember the mug well at North Haven. Couldnt get it for my first 3 senior years coz i was underage...then in my last year there I got it and couldnt remember the night. I regretted tapping a certain AB on the back for a drink coz it turned out he thought a drink consisting of every spirit behind the bar was a good way to spend about $30...
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:10 pm

piccachu wrote:north haven have the mug, one of the best ideas going around, dont know how much responsible drinking was going on specially when the likes of matt hood got it, the aim is to hit up the tight a55's first and the blokes that dont hang around the club then save all the blokes who are the last to leave of a saturday nght till last, but love the idea of it

There not 2 words i hear around the club often :D

We also do it for cricket aswell. All 6 grades, A's to F's have a mug to each to give to the best player or to a player that did somtehing special that game.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10381 times
Been liked: 1530 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Baron Greenback » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:11 pm

We had the mug and then our captain got smashed and lost it in some bushes and it hasn't been seen since.
Since then the mug has rarely come out at our footy club, but I'm hoping to revive it this year.
Ham and eggs for breakfast, ham and eggs for tea
Baron Greenback
Coach

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Paringa

Postby The Chump is here... » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:20 am

The Dark Knight wrote:
piccachu wrote:north haven have the mug, one of the best ideas going around, dont know how much responsible drinking was going on specially when the likes of matt hood got it, the aim is to hit up the tight a55's first and the blokes that dont hang around the club then save all the blokes who are the last to leave of a saturday nght till last, but love the idea of it

There not 2 words i hear around the club often :D

We also do it for cricket aswell. All 6 grades, A's to F's have a mug to each to give to the best player or to a player that did somtehing special that game.

One of the best awards you can have is "The Mug" at North Haven it is awarded to Best in the C and B Grades and 3rd Best in the A Grade. Also if you have played a milestone game of 100, 200 games etc the mug is yours. This has been a tradition at the club since as long as I can remeber, barring a year or two it was banned.

We usually start with 3 new or newish pewter mugs and who ever wins it is responsible for it for the next week and by the end of the year it always comes back worse for wear with plenty dents, handle missing etc.. Another good tradition is the person who wins the mug engraves their name on it.

It always good when a new bloke to the club wins it as all the guys that have been on the receiving end of "The Mug" go out of their way to get them as smashed as possible, always ends up with a funny story.
They are straight to their word, they don't talk a lot of smoke and mirrors behind windows.
The Chump is here...
Rookie

Postby Pag » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:30 pm

We've got the same sort of thing, not necessarily the best player, but someone who does something hilarious, very stupid or if someone plays a milestone.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby Executive Member » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:16 pm

Pag wrote:We've got the same sort of thing, not necessarily the best player, but someone who does something hilarious, very stupid or if someone plays a milestone.

we do that then Browny would win it every week ;)
Executive Member
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 140 times

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues