SAWFL - South Australian Womans Football League

Adelaide Footy League, Southern, Country Footy, VFL, WAFL, NTFL, etc.

SAWFL - South Australian Womens Football League

Postby damian » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:21 pm

As the premier Womens football league in South Australia, i felt it was important to have a place for members of SA's football community to discuss their thoughts on the SAWFL, and more so, to raise the status of the ever growing SAWFL.

The SA State Womens side has just returned from Western Australia where they won the Div 2 National Championship. best on ground in the Grand Final was Cass Hartley.

Tess Baxter gained All-Australian selection for her performances throughout the championships, and at the last National Championships Jess Openshaw caught the selectors eye to be awarded All-Australian honours.

The SAWFL currently has 4 teams based around Adelaide that play their home and away matches on Sundays.

Current Teams:
Eagles Womens Football Club
Greenacres Womens Football Club
Port Adelaide Womens Football Club
Morphettville Park Womens Football Club

Please use this forum to discuss the current season, favourites for the Duschtke Medal, the National Championships, past premiers, history of the SAWFL, weekend results, recruiting, etc.

PM myself for any more details you would like on the SAWFL.
"Start by doing what's necessary; then what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."
damian
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Goolwa-Port Elliott

Re: SAWFL - South Australian Womens Football League

Postby Bluedemon » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:29 pm

is there any talk of getting junior girls football organised?
SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 97 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Pag » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:47 pm

kookas wrote:is there any talk of getting junior girls football organised?
CDJFL have Girls Under 13s that play on a Friday night, starting to get a decent participation rate too. Salisbury, Salisbury North, Smithfield, Central United and Salisbury West all have teams I think.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby Bluedemon » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:36 pm

The SAWFL with conjunction of the SANFL need to also look at getting a girls comp organised in the southern areas. There are lots of girls that play done that way. would help the league to grow.
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Postby damian » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:59 pm

This sunday @ Greenacres (Grand Junction Rd, next to Prison):

From 12:30pm Port Adelaide v Morphettville Park
Followed by Greenacres v Eagles
"Start by doing what's necessary; then what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."
damian
League Bench Warmer

Postby damian » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:02 pm

kookas wrote:The SAWFL with conjunction of the SANFL need to also look at getting a girls comp organised in the southern areas. There are lots of girls that play done that way. would help the league to grow.

Definately agree there needs to a junior comp in the south, and a senior side for the SAWFL, but it becomes really hard with lack of interest and support. Players would not be a problem, but a committee, president, treasurer, secretary, trainers, managers, coaches, runners etc are very important!

I have lived in the southern suburbs and think i would be able to get together a more than decent senior side, but plenty of helped is needed, and funding.
damian
League Bench Warmer

Postby A Mum » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:04 pm

My daughters friend (16) plays football through her school, Urbrae.
Sounds like there are a few teams out there, so could get bigger as time goes by.

O:)
You get what you give....
A Mum
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Bluedemon » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:18 pm

damian, the junior comp that i am involved in tried to get the competition going, we had some teams ready to go but was waiting on the sanfl to help us out but nothing eventuated. would look foward to trying something for next year if the sawfl are keen.
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Postby damian » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:35 pm

Hopefully something can happen before the start of the '10 season.

Yesterday at Greenacres Port Adelaide defeated Morphie Parks by a couple of points in a physical match, much more physical than need be by some Roo players, they need to learn it is a contact sport and they are going to be tackled, a clean tackle does not require any retaliation. Well done to the Magpies girls who in the end got on with the game and a well deserved win.

In the late game the eagles held of a fast finishing Greenacres side to win by about 4 goals. Eagles seemed to drop off in the second half, whether they swapped the side around i'm not sure but definately weren't playing with as much run and skill as in the first half. Jess Openshaw had a great game of a wing before sitting up at full forward.

A good day of footy.

This sunday both games are at Kilburn FC. Greenacres V Port Adelaide and Eagles V Morphie Parks.
damian
League Bench Warmer

Postby fisho mcspaz » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:44 pm

Just noticed this thread - about time!! :D

I play for Morphies (at least I did until I got knocked up) and I know the club is definitely after new players. So if you're interested, come out and try it. It's hard work but good fun.
Hey Goose, ya big stud! Take me to bed or lose me for ever.
fisho mcspaz
League - Top 5

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 111 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby damian » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:16 pm

fisho mcspaz wrote:Just noticed this thread - about time!! :D

I play for Morphies (at least I did until I got knocked up) and I know the club is definitely after new players. So if you're interested, come out and try it. It's hard work but good fun.

Good work Fisho!! All clubs are after new players and there is a real possibility that there will be a new club starting up in the southern suburbs (further south than Morphettville Park), keep an eye on this thread, ladies and gents.

Also well done to Greenacres on beating the previously undefeated Eagles in the Grand Final.
damian
League Bench Warmer

Postby damian » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:17 pm

Also, top stuff by Cass Hartley from the Eagles to win the leagues Dutschke Medal!

Cass finshed in front of Kristy Rudd (Port), Tess Baxter (M/Parks) and Kirsty Degabriele (Ports).
damian
League Bench Warmer

Postby damian » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:57 am

The SAWFL kicks-off this Sunday at Portland Oval with a re-match of the 2009 Grand Final between Greenacres and the Eagles followed by Port Adelaide and Morphettville Park. Central Districts have the bye first up in their inaugural year.

Get along for a look, game 1 starts at 11 and the second is 3:30. (Men's match in-netween).
damian
League Bench Warmer

Postby the big bang » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:39 pm

damian wrote:The SAWFL kicks-off this Sunday at Portland Oval with a re-match of the 2009 Grand Final between Greenacres and the Eagles followed by Port Adelaide and Morphettville Park. Central Districts have the bye first up in their inaugural year.

Get along for a look, game 1 starts at 11 and the second is 3:30. (Men's match in-netween).

good to hear the blokes are playing as a curtain-raiser for our female counter-parts!
wuuuzzzzz
the big bang
League - Top 5

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 9 times

Postby damian » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:59 am

Round 1 results

Eagles showed they will again be hard to beat with a convinving 10 goal win over Greenacres in game 1.

Morphettville Park won a close match against Port Magpies who were very slow to get started but turned it on in the last quarter to make the match interesting.

Next Sunday @ Morphettville Park

Eagles v Port
Morphettville v Centrals
damian
League Bench Warmer

SAWFL - South Australian Womans Football League

Postby Big Phil » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:19 pm

From the SANFL web site...

http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/1099/

Great to see Central District now entered in the competition, no doubt they would be hoping for the same success as the mens side !!

For more information, click link below...

http://www.sanfl.com.au/game_development/inclusive_programs/female_footy/
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 273 times

Re: SAWFL - South Australian Womans Football League

Postby kicks.like.a.girl » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:53 pm

Big Phil wrote: Great to see Central District now entered in the competition, no doubt they would be hoping for the same success as the mens side !!

It's our first year so dont expect too much yet, haha... but yes we are definitely looking to up-hold Centrals good reputation in the coming years :D

Amazing to see people are starting to notice the womens comp and the awesome effort put in by all involved over the years... especially the past 2 years with the new amazing League president Cheryl Cates, and new department looking after female footy (which includes 'damian' and yours truely :) lol)

I am the Female Football Development Officer at the SANFL which means please, please, please give me feedback or suggestions on anything involving girls footy at any age in any location state wide. It is my job to improve football oppurtunities for girls and women, so i would love to hear from as many people as possible.

Let the ideas roll :D

ohhh, FYI... 2 new ' ALL GIRLS' Auskick centres up and running this year; at Hectorville FC with assistant coaching from the amazingly experienced, ex state representative, and current Senior Womens Greenacres Coach, Narelle Smith... and the other centre being run by me :) at Salisbury Football Club. PM me, or check out the Auskick website for more info
www.facebook.com/sa.femalefootball ...

www.facebook.com/sfcwomens ...

GET AROUND IT!!!
kicks.like.a.girl
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues