Remembering Jarvo's big run

Adelaide Footy League, Southern, Country Footy, VFL, WAFL, NTFL, etc.

Remembering Jarvo's big run

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:32 pm

By Rob McLean

One of the great things about playing football is that you get to meet a lot of characters.
Among those characters are some fantastic footballers and some not so good ones.
It has always been interesting to watch people you have played with or against go on to perform on a much bigger stage.
However, some just play a cameo in your footballing life and disappear, never to be heard from again.
John Jarvis is one of those players.
I first came across John when he was a junior at Central United.
He was one of a handful of good players they had at junior level back then, along with Matt and Adam Switala and Shane Pickering.
John was different to all of those guys though – while I have remained friends with the other three over the years, he disappeared off my radar.
I played on the same side as him for the first time in year seven SAPSASA, representing Elizabeth Districts in the South East.
And then by 1990 he was playing at Elizabeth, having transferred to the club when the Units couldn’t field an under 14 side.
His skills were good. He was a tough, hard- running, no nonsense, wiry footballer.
We all feared him but it was the opposition who feared him even more.
Sure, there were plenty of young footballers in our rugged northern suburbs competition who had the same attributes as ‘Jarvo’ but none of them had his stand out feature.
A moustache.
That moustache was a talking point among all opposition players and it helped him to build a fearful reputation.
No kid wanted to play on him. If he had that much testosterone that he already had a moe at 13, what else could he do to you?
The imagination ran wild.
For me though, Jarvo stands out for another reason.
His awesome performance in the 1990 under 14s grand final.
Elizabeth took on hot favourites Salisbury, a side that had dominated junior football through the grades.
There were some class acts in the black and white side.
Somehow, we won that game – taking out a premiership flag on the Magpies’ home ground.
Much of our success could be attributed to the wild man John Jarvis.
One particular run saw him streaming from the half back flank, past the cheering grandstand and around half a dozen or so kids, who just seemed to get out of this way to avoid being hurt.
It might not have happened that way but that’s how it seems in my memories.
We scored a crucial goal and held on to the flag – all because of Jarvo’s run.
That memory has remained with me for nearly 20 years.
From my recollections, Jarvo moved on to WA after that season and rumour has it he ended up back in SA playing senior footy at Para Hills.
I don’t know the truth of that but I do know that he will always retain legend status in my footballing memories for those feats performed all those years ago.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Re: Remembering Jarvo's big run

Postby Q. » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:43 pm

Great read, DW.

It's funny how we remember childhood footy. The big kids were like giants, ovals always seemed huge and you'd swear it never rains as heavy as when you were young.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby whufc » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:17 pm

Great Story DW,

Yeah my best memory is very similar, while playing under 15's at Eastern Park we took on the undefeated Salisbury in the semi final, no one had got within 5 goals of Salisbury.

At 3/4 time surprisingly we are up by four goals playing brilliant football. The siren blows for the beginning of the last quarter and within 1 minute Salisbury have kicked 2 goals thanks to Stephen Eichner and are within 11 points.

From the ball up Eichner gets the pill again and starts streaming in the forward line where a young aboriginal lad by the name of Andrew Lindsay chases him down from behind 'Holding the Ball'. Lindsay then picks the ball up turns around and five bounces later is running into an open goal at the other end of the ground having beat at least 10 Magpie players. He kicks the goal we go 17 points up and beat the previously unbeaten Salisbury by 15 points.

To this day Andrew Lindsay is the most naturally talented football i have seen, i know im not the only person with this opinion unfortunatly he never went on to make it for various reason, reaching his highest point playing reserves for North Adelaide.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5595 times
Been liked: 2533 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Big Phil » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:21 pm

whufc wrote:Great Story DW,

Yeah my best memory is very similar, while playing under 15's at Eastern Park we took on the undefeated Salisbury in the semi final, no one had got within 5 goals of Salisbury.

At 3/4 time surprisingly we are up by four goals playing brilliant football. The siren blows for the beginning of the last quarter and within 1 minute Salisbury have kicked 2 goals thanks to Stephen Eichner and are within 11 points.

From the ball up Eichner gets the pill again and starts streaming in the forward line where a young aboriginal lad by the name of Andrew Lindsay chases him down from behind 'Holding the Ball'. Lindsay then picks the ball up turns around and five bounces later is running into an open goal at the other end of the ground having beat at least 10 Magpie players. He kicks the goal we go 17 points up and beat the previously unbeaten Salisbury by 15 points.

To this day Andrew Lindsay is the most naturally talented football i have seen, i know im not the only person with this opinion unfortunatly he never went on to make it for various reason, reaching his highest point playing reserves for North Adelaide.

Ah, yes, I remember 'Doobie'...
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 273 times

Postby Magpiespower » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:40 am

Remember playing Smithfield in the CDFA juniors.

A few players had full-grown beards.

Somehow don't think they were eligible for under-15s...
Everyone can eat s#!t! A big bag of s#!t! I'm the greatest man in the world!
Magpiespower
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 125 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:11 pm

I remember playing Virginia in under 15s and one day this old Kingswood rocked up with about eight blokes in it. They all piled out - as we knew they were short of players - and we counted them. We figured seven were players. Wrong. The driver played too!
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Magpiespower » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:46 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:I remember playing Virginia in under 15s and one day this old Kingswood rocked up with about eight blokes in it. They all piled out - as we knew they were short of players - and we counted them. We figured seven were players. Wrong. The driver played too!

IIRC, some kid rocked up to Virginia Oval on a tractor ready to play...
Everyone can eat s#!t! A big bag of s#!t! I'm the greatest man in the world!
Magpiespower
Coach

Been liked: 125 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Media Park » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:46 pm

this stuff is hilarious...
Direct quote:
Wedgie wrote:I wear skin tight arseless leather pants, wtf do you wear?
Media Park
Coach

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Boston

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues