Comparing SAAFL to VAFA

Adelaide Footy League, Southern, Country Footy, VFL, WAFL, NTFL, etc.

Comparing SAAFL to VAFA

Postby rk25 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:46 am

Just curious to see if anyone has any thoughts on the standard of the SAAFL to the VAFA?

Would people say that Div 1 SAAFL is on par with Premier 1 (used to be called A-section) VAFA? And would this go all the way down the line (ie, Div 2 = Premier B, Div 3 = Premier C, Div 4 = Div 1 (used to be D-Section - VAFA thinks a name change itself will give the competition a better reputation and it means that Div 4 footballers can actually say they play in Div 1)....
rk25
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Re: Comparing SAAFL to VAFA

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:33 pm

rk25 wrote:Just curious to see if anyone has any thoughts on the standard of the SAAFL to the VAFA?

Would people say that Div 1 SAAFL is on par with Premier 1 (used to be called A-section) VAFA? And would this go all the way down the line (ie, Div 2 = Premier B, Div 3 = Premier C, Div 4 = Div 1 (used to be D-Section - VAFA thinks a name change itself will give the competition a better reputation and it means that Div 4 footballers can actually say they play in Div 1)....

... NFI... :shock:
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:43 pm

I was only pondering this the other day... :-k
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 728 times
Been liked: 1088 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby rk25 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:27 am

Have seen (not good enough to play) plenty of Div 1 footy but have never watched any Div 4 footy in SA, and have seen and played a bit of Div 1 (so 4th tier) footy in Melbourne but have never watched any Premier A....

Has anyone seen the equivalent division played across the 2 states? Or have there been any players that have arrived at your club from, say, Div 2 Vic that haven't quite cut the mustard in Div 2 SAAFL (or the opposite and have absolutely blitzed it). Obviously one player doesn't give an accurate guide to the general standard of the division but it might be a start.

Just curious...
rk25
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Mr Beefy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:24 am

rk25 wrote:Have seen (not good enough to play) plenty of Div 1 footy but have never watched any Div 4 footy in SA, and have seen and played a bit of Div 1 (so 4th tier) footy in Melbourne but have never watched any Premier A....

Has anyone seen the equivalent division played across the 2 states? Or have there been any players that have arrived at your club from, say, Div 2 Vic that haven't quite cut the mustard in Div 2 SAAFL (or the opposite and have absolutely blitzed it). Obviously one player doesn't give an accurate guide to the general standard of the division but it might be a start.

Just curious...

I have played in the old B, C and a couple of the D4 sections in Melb and watched plenty of D5 footy in Adelaide and am not sure. I dont know if there is much difference between the lower sections and D5 here but reckon the bottom sections in Melb are more even than the bottom divisions here. Once you go up the grades I reckon it is a steeper rise in class especially as you go up to the "Premier" sections than the top divisions here but I've only seen a few games of higher divs. I dont reckon the depth is all that good over there in the higher sections due to there being many metro comps where you can earn some coin.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby bandar » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:43 am

Back when state footy betweenthe 2 leagues was open we used to cop some hidings and e competitive other years. I'd say that the best Vic grade would be ahead of DIV 1 and it would trickle down from there. Unfortunately we have had no real comparison for few years.
bandar
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 27 times
Grassroots Team: PHOS Camden

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:33 pm

Have seena lot of D1 footy in the SAAFL for over 20 years as well as seeing the top two clubs in the VAFA and believe that the top clubs here will more than hold thier own
2017, 2019 & 2020 PREMIERS
RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 128 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:56 am

The difference I see in Victorian Football compared to SA is the standards in the Country. Obviously Victoria has a much larger regional population than SA and also better farming conditions (More sponsorship $$$).
Football Geelong,Ovens & King,Murray,Ballarat,Bendigo Districts are of an extremely good standard whilst Dimboola,Sunraysia,Western Border, Warnambool ect are 2nd tier compared to the best leagues.
Having played in Sunraysia and hearing many peoples echos on here that Western Border is the best standard country league in SA I guess that pretty much tells the story that there is a far better deepth of leagues in Victoria.....with 3.5 x the population I guess that's going to be pretty obvious.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 748 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues