Kick after the Siren to Win the Game

Adelaide Footy League, Southern, Country Footy, VFL, WAFL, NTFL, etc.

Kick after the Siren to Win the Game

Postby JK » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:13 pm

Anyone on this site had that experience? If so, how did you go?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Re: Kick after the Siren to Win the Game

Postby lovetotalkfooty » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:15 am

I have never had a kick after the siren to win the game but did havea kick after the siren to draw a game.

It was against Salisbury West last year @ Brahma Lodge. Down by 6 points I took a mark about 45 out on a near impossible angle ( Truth be told i was probably 30m out and on a 60-70 degree angle). 5 seconds after taking the mark the siren went. So went back through me normal routine. Off the boot i thought it was a goal and was ready to celebrate but at the last minute it started to move right. The final 3 seconds felt like forever until it banged stright in to the goal post. I lost the gamr for the team by 5 pts.

To make matters worse this was on ANZAC day (Our biggest day) and we had visitors from a motorcycle club that day to present our best on ground medal. At the presentation thay asked who had kicked the point and that they wanted to have a quiet chat with me outside. may have done a little poo at that time.

That game pretty much summed up our season.
Check out the Brahma Lodge Football Club website at www.blfc.com.au
lovetotalkfooty
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 37 times
Grassroots Team: Brahma Lodge

Postby carey » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:51 am

I was lucky enough to kick a goal after the siren back in about 2001-02 to win by 4 points.

We were at Gaza oval obvisouly down by 2 points and took a mark which in all honesty was on a slight angle about 35-40 metres out and was lucky enough to back and slot it.

That night as the beers flowed the angle was that tight you could bearly see daylight through it and was 55-60m out not to mention the mark i was suffering from dizzy spells i was that high in the clouds.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2812 times
Been liked: 2999 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:55 am

Haven't scored one after the siren. Would love to have.
However, I have scored a couple of buzzer beaters - those ones when you know where with just seconds left on the clock, if you don't kick it, the game's gone.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby JK » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:09 am

Lol Brilliant recollections lads!! :lol:
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Baron Greenback » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:40 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Haven't scored one after the siren. Would love to have.
However, I have scored a couple of buzzer beaters - those ones when you know where with just seconds left on the clock, if you don't kick it, the game's gone.

Me too DW.
Kicked one for Renmark under 18s against Berri from outside 50 on the run twice in a season to put us up by under a goal.
Won both games.
Ham and eggs for breakfast, ham and eggs for tea
Baron Greenback
Coach

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Paringa

Postby Media Park » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:34 pm

In 2009 I played one game for the year.
Shortly before the final siren I take a mark.
The umpire, a mate, compares it with the greatest hangers of all time.
Reality I slipped over and took about twenty juggles before the umpire took mercy on me and paid the mark.
Twenty metres out, slight angle.
Kicked an absolute floater, through the goals, put us up by 2 points, we won shortly after, in the finals by a game, and they won the flag.
Direct quote:
Wedgie wrote:I wear skin tight arseless leather pants, wtf do you wear?
Media Park
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Executive Member » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:50 pm

lovetotalkfooty wrote:I have never had a kick after the siren to win the game but did havea kick after the siren to draw a game.

It was against Salisbury West last year @ Brahma Lodge. Down by 6 points I took a mark about 45 out on a near impossible angle ( Truth be told i was probably 30m out and on a 60-70 degree angle). 5 seconds after taking the mark the siren went. So went back through me normal routine. Off the boot i thought it was a goal and was ready to celebrate but at the last minute it started to move right. The final 3 seconds felt like forever until it banged stright in to the goal post. I lost the gamr for the team by 5 pts.

To make matters worse this was on ANZAC day (Our biggest day) and we had visitors from a motorcycle club that day to present our best on ground medal. At the presentation thay asked who had kicked the point and that they wanted to have a quiet chat with me outside. may have done a little poo at that time.

That game pretty much summed up our season.

No wonder you moved to the US
Executive Member
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 140 times

Postby TEX07 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:53 pm

Back in 08 playing in our C grade against Modbury, we were behind most of the day and I managed to sneak down and take a questionable mark (could have gone to the man in front, but it was Modburys ump that paid it) was about 20 out, slight angle. Those who know me well enough know that kicking goals is not my forte. Wasnt after the siren but I knew there wasnt long, if I missed, we lose. Slotted it through, ball went back to the centre and the siren went! It was as close as I got but still enjoyed it.
hola acabo de hacer que el yo se resuelve lo que este los medios en español
TEX07
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 49 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby test » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:25 am

Andrew Ross took a bit of a hanger in the goal square on Saturday for Wallaroo against Moonta, went back and slotted it, first time in front all day, ball was thrown up and siren sounded.
test
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Wallaroo

Postby fisho mcspaz » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:00 pm

Last year Aldinga had an amazing win over Christies Beach. I only saw the last quarter because of having to go to the doctor, but that was the quarter that mattered. I arrived at the game at 3/4 time, saw that we were eight goals down and kicked the car door. The kids doing the scoreboard were laughing and pointing at me, yelling out how s*** Aldinga were. Very frustrating. Anyway, going into the last quarter, we kicked four or five in quick succession but then it was back and forth for a while - we were kicking goals but so were they. There was maybe a minute to go and we were 17 points down when Christies gave away a free kick in our goalsquare. Their player argued with the umpire while our forward was kicking the goal - with the result that the umpire brought the ball back for another free kick in the goalsquare, and suddenly the margin was 5 points. The ball came our way from the centre and I was thinking no way, this s*** always happens to us (we're used to being on the losing end), we can't get another goal out of this... and our full forward kicked it from +50 on the siren, straight through for a goal. All of us who were watching went berserk and invaded the oval. It was our equivalent of the Grand Final. In the end we kicked something like 10.6 to 3.3 in the last quarter - effectively doubling our score from 3/4 time.

Couldn't believe it, therefore, when upon our second meeting with Christies, they were leading us convincingly all day, we came back in the last and won after the siren again, this time by three points!!! That stuff ain't scripted. Two brilliant days - made the rest of the year worth it.

PS. After that first game, I went back to the scoreboard and heckled those kids. Very childish, particularly as I was there with my own kids, but immeasurably satisfying. :twisted:
Hey Goose, ya big stud! Take me to bed or lose me for ever.
fisho mcspaz
League - Top 5

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 111 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby fisho mcspaz » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:05 pm

fisho mcspaz wrote:Last year Aldinga had an amazing win over Christies Beach. I only saw the last quarter because of having to go to the doctor, but that was the quarter that mattered. I arrived at the game at 3/4 time, saw that we were eight goals down and kicked the car door. The kids doing the scoreboard were laughing and pointing at me, yelling out how s*** Aldinga were. Very frustrating. Anyway, going into the last quarter, we kicked four or five in quick succession but then it was back and forth for a while - we were kicking goals but so were they. There was maybe a minute to go and we were 17 points down when Christies gave away a free kick in our goalsquare. Their player argued with the umpire while our forward was kicking the goal - with the result that the umpire brought the ball back for another free kick in the goalsquare, and suddenly the margin was 5 points. The ball came our way from the centre and I was thinking no way, this s*** always happens to us (we're used to being on the losing end), we can't get another goal out of this... and our full forward kicked it from +50 on the siren, straight through for a goal. All of us who were watching went berserk and invaded the oval. It was our equivalent of the Grand Final. In the end we kicked something like 10.6 to 3.3 in the last quarter - effectively doubling our score from 3/4 time.

Couldn't believe it, therefore, when upon our second meeting with Christies, they were leading us convincingly all day, we came back in the last and won after the siren again, this time by three points!!! That stuff ain't scripted. Two brilliant days - made the rest of the year worth it.

PS. After that first game, I went back to the scoreboard and heckled those kids. Very childish, particularly as I was there with my own kids, but immeasurably satisfying. :twisted:

Also, I wondered what happened to the bloke who gave us two free kicks in the goalsquare. If I'd been his coach I'd have torn him a new arsehole.
Hey Goose, ya big stud! Take me to bed or lose me for ever.
fisho mcspaz
League - Top 5

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 111 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby PuttingBStorest » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:30 am

Happened on the Eyre Peninsula last weekend - United Yeelanna (top on ladder) played Eyre United (bottom on ladder and yet to win a game for the year) played in the last minor round game for the year. Eyre United player was apparently awarded a free kick or mark (unsure which) about 70m out and the siren blew. He lined up for a big torp and it went off the side of the boot and was probably going to go out of bounds - but - a United Yeelanna player decided to punch the ball which then set in on course towards the goals and trickled through for a point - and so Eyre United won their only game for the year by 1 point.

Now - I always thought that the ball kicked after the siren was "dead" once touched but apparently not. I was told the unpires checked this before the awarding the win.

Needless to say - big big celebrations at Eyre United on Saturday night!!!!!

Classic!!!!
PuttingBStorest
Mini-League

Been liked: 3 times

Postby Baron Greenback » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:40 am

PuttingBStorest wrote:Happened on the Eyre Peninsula last weekend - United Yeelanna (top on ladder) played Eyre United (bottom on ladder and yet to win a game for the year) played in the last minor round game for the year. Eyre United player was apparently awarded a free kick or mark (unsure which) about 70m out and the siren blew. He lined up for a big torp and it went off the side of the boot and was probably going to go out of bounds - but - a United Yeelanna player decided to punch the ball which then set in on course towards the goals and trickled through for a point - and so Eyre United won their only game for the year by 1 point.

Now - I always thought that the ball kicked after the siren was "dead" once touched but apparently not. I was told the unpires checked this before the awarding the win.

Needless to say - big big celebrations at Eyre United on Saturday night!!!!!

Classic!!!!

I'm pretty sure new rules are that it's a dead ball.
Got away with one there! Well done! :lol:
Ham and eggs for breakfast, ham and eggs for tea
Baron Greenback
Coach

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Paringa

Postby Gorilla warfare » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:30 pm

fisho mcspaz wrote:Last year Aldinga had an amazing win over Christies Beach. I only saw the last quarter because of having to go to the doctor, but that was the quarter that mattered. I arrived at the game at 3/4 time, saw that we were eight goals down and kicked the car door. The kids doing the scoreboard were laughing and pointing at me, yelling out how s*** Aldinga were. Very frustrating. Anyway, going into the last quarter, we kicked four or five in quick succession but then it was back and forth for a while - we were kicking goals but so were they. There was maybe a minute to go and we were 17 points down when Christies gave away a free kick in our goalsquare. Their player argued with the umpire while our forward was kicking the goal - with the result that the umpire brought the ball back for another free kick in the goalsquare, and suddenly the margin was 5 points. The ball came our way from the centre and I was thinking no way, this s*** always happens to us (we're used to being on the losing end), we can't get another goal out of this... and our full forward kicked it from +50 on the siren, straight through for a goal. All of us who were watching went berserk and invaded the oval. It was our equivalent of the Grand Final. In the end we kicked something like 10.6 to 3.3 in the last quarter - effectively doubling our score from 3/4 time.

They were two of the best games ive been apart of, you wouldn't believe it unless u were there. It was the same bloke who kicked both the goals to win those games. Gun full forward :lol:
Gorilla warfare
Mini-League

Grassroots Team: Hornridge

Postby Push in the Back » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:49 pm

I played a game in 1992 against Plympton High OS and marked in goal square, mouthed off at a few of theirs and proceeded to go back and kick a point!! Siren went - game drawn...What a plonker.
Push in the Back
Under 16s

Postby Banker » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:54 pm

From HFL Central div on the weekend:

Nighthawk wrote:
Tanka wrote:What happened at the end of the Torrens Valley vs Ironbank game?

ump fked up. gave a bad free to Ironbank with seconds to go in last qtr, 80m out, siren went, TV player swore at ump, ump gave Ironbank a huuuuuuge 50m penelty, to top of square. goal, IB win.
Banker
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby the big bang » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:40 pm

Gorilla warfare wrote:

They were two of the best games ive been apart of, you wouldn't believe it unless u were there. It was the same bloke who kicked both the goals to win those games. Gun full forward :lol:

gun bloke

:D ;) :prayer: :heart:
wuuuzzzzz
the big bang
League - Top 5

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 9 times

Postby MatteeG » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:44 pm

Baron Greenback wrote:I'm pretty sure new rules are that it's a dead ball.

Not so sure BG- The Hawthorn v Gold Coast game on the weekend had Clinton Young from the Hawks try his luck with a barrel from about 70 out after one of the sirens (half time?)- one of the young Gold Coasters punched it through for a point which counted.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Footy Smart » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:16 am

MatteeG wrote:
Baron Greenback wrote:I'm pretty sure new rules are that it's a dead ball.

Not so sure BG- The Hawthorn v Gold Coast game on the weekend had Clinton Young from the Hawks try his luck with a barrel from about 70 out after one of the sirens (half time?)- one of the young Gold Coasters punched it through for a point which counted.

If a player from the opposition touches it the ball stays 'in play' and a score can result. If a team member touches it, the ball is considered 'dead' and no score can result
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues