WA Grassroots Footy Book

Adelaide Footy League, Southern, Country Footy, VFL, WAFL, NTFL, etc.

WA Grassroots Footy Book

Postby Benchwarmer » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:57 am

For anyone interested, I am going to be writing a book about my travels around the football leagues of Western Australia this season, which will start with a journey to the Lower South West FL on April 2 and will end at the WAFL Grand Final on September 25 after travelling more than 30,000 kilometres.

I will see approximately 70 matches (including more than 50 League matches and 17 Reserves matches) and will take in matches from Kununurra, Broome and Port Hedland in the north down to Albany, Ravensthorpe and Esperance in the south, as well as a cross-border hop for the WA Country team’s interstate clash against SA Country in Adelaide in July.

The journey will take in matches from all 30 of the state’s senior competitions over 40 match days, as well as three Carnivals (the Great Southern Colts Carnival and the Northern Regions Colts Carnival in mid-June and the Landmark Country Championships in July) and two State representative matches (Western Australia versus Tasmania in June and also the SA Country versus WA Country clash).

Each week, the A Grade match watched will be reviewed in a podcast available via Facebook.

To get around the state (and the SA Country v WA Country game), I need to fly on six occasions - Kununurra, Port Hedland, Newman, Adelaide and two flights to Broome – no mean feat for a self-confessed ‘nervous flyer’.

In a twist, I will play one-off matches for more than a dozen clubs during my travels from the start of the season until clearances close at the end of June.

Up to 12 matches will also be broadcast via a live audio broadcast during the season. The broadcast matches will be confirmed prior to the start of the season and the matches will be available for listening as podcasts on the WA FOOTY TRAVELLER Facebook page.

The book is intended to be released in 2017.

You can follow my travels via Facebook at the WA FOOTY TRAVELLER page
Benchwarmer
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Callington

Re: WA Grassroots Footy Book

Postby Benchwarmer » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:04 am

Things are progressing well with the trips around W.A. and the book writing - the book will be just over 400 pages at this stage. I am still working
on a publisher at this stage but I am still hopeful of a March/April 2017 release for the book.

I initially hoped that I would see 70 games for the season, but that was an understatement as we are currently sitting on 77 games with seven weekends to go. By my reckoning, the W.A.F.L. Grand Final will be either game number 100 or 101 for the year.
Benchwarmer
League Bench Warmer

Re: WA Grassroots Footy Book

Postby Benchwarmer » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:49 pm

Well, I am happy to say that my book, Following The Bouncing Burley, is now being printed and should be ready for sale from Thursday June 29 at a cost of $20 each.

Following the Bouncing Burley will recount my travels around Western Australia, providing a background to the competitions and teams that I saw, reviewing each league match and also looking into some of the issues facing grassroots football, such as population decline, reserves football, player payments and player points systems. In addition, every league ladder and Grand Final result is included to provide a snapshot of the 2016 season.

Following the Bouncing Burley will be officially launched in early July and people coming to Perth for the Landmark Country Championships weekend will be able to purchase copies while they are in town.

Players and supporters of Southerners (Hopetoun), Swan Districts Womens, Newdegate, Dongara, Trinity Aquinas, Busselton Bombers and Peel Thunder will be able to reminisce about their 2016 Grand Final victories and all bar Trinity Aquinas have a full team picture with their premiership spoils.

I will also head back to some of my old clubs on Sunday afternoons during July and August to sell some copies at their home games. These visits will be posted on the WA FOOTY TRAVELLER Facebook and Twitter pages as soon as these matches are confirmed.

A second book, which will be a history of the current grassroots leagues and clubs in the state (both seniors and juniors), is expected to be released in mid-2018.

Email: football@frontiersportsmedia.com
Facebook: WA Footy Traveller
Twitter: @bouncingburley
Benchwarmer
League Bench Warmer

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues