Umpiring - The diary of a local umpy.

Adelaide Footy League, Southern, Country Footy, VFL, WAFL, NTFL, etc.

Re: Umpiring - The diary of a local umpy.

Postby Corona Man » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:17 pm

Just 2 games this weekend. Top of the table under 19’s div one clash. Heidelberg wasteful in front of goal in the first quarter only scored 3 behinds I reckon. St Mary’s jumped them to take a 5 goal lead into half time. The tigers threw everything at them but can up 4 goals short.

Doc 3 ladies game today. The Mernda Demons getting the points. A good team effort and they just worked harder that the Laurimar Power Girls. I missed a bad one in the 3rd Q. Girl grabs ball gets tackled without prior, bustles on the incorrectly disposed of the footy while being slung in the tackle. I froze, couldn’t decide what to pay and called play on. The sling wasn’t that bad, should have paid holding the pill. Damn, that was a bad one and the “crowd” let me know too....
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1278 times
Been liked: 3485 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby DOC » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:45 am

Did you give an even upper?

Was active wear girl there?
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 730 times
Been liked: 2085 times

Postby Corona Man » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:27 pm

DOC wrote:Did you give an even upper?

Was active wear girl there?

No I pinged a player for a high tackle soon after and she lost her shit. Chucked the ball away.... ummm that’s a 25 love!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:22 pm

3 games this weekend.

Sat U/19’s and the Heidelberg Tigers wasted opportunities in front of goals early only to be run over at the end by the Bundoora Bulls.

I pinged a calf at umpy training Thursday night so was a little dubious going into my Sunday appointments.

Reasonably uneventful morning game of U/14’s.

Afternoon Senior Women’s game at Greensborough and bugger me was it cold. I umpired wearing 3 layers, thermal under vest, long sleeve and short sleeve shirt. Still cold despite “moving” 20 K’s for the day!

The 5th tin of Draught hitting the spot.

Calf held up ok all things considered.
Corona Man
Coach

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:55 pm

Decided to join the ranks of the Field umpiring brigade this year and volunteered to be a club umpire for the local C-Grade team.

Have enjoyed every minute of it and have gotten to know the lads at the club. Decent bunch of blokes.

Made an effort to attend some of the umpiring training lectures and learn the new rules for this season and explain them to the coach and players what they are, as well as the rule of the week.

Have umpired with some great umpires and they have been helpful with the feedback which has helped me gain more confidence.

Only handed out 3 yellow cards so far.

At times my football brain takes over and has got me where the ball is going to go and not where I should be as an umpire but this will come with time

All in all have enjoyed it immensely and wish I had done it sooner!!!
2017, 2019 & 2020 PREMIERS
RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 128 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:23 am

My lad got a text 10pm Saturday night saying he had been promoted from the u13 to the u15 game on the traditional Reynella/Morphett Vale Sunday game, due to someone being sick. Anyway I haven't been able to watch his u13 umpiring yet but got to watch the whole game on Sunday and he did a great job, a MV parent next to me starting calling him a green maggot, I fired back, I don't think he thought the umpires old man would be right next to him :)

Anyway in the last 1/4 there was a scuffle and a MV kid threw 6 hay makers with 3 connecting, my lad was the controlling umpire and got to issue his first red card and put in his first report and we are off to the tribunal tonight. Very proud of the way he handled it, couldn't have done it any better.

I have never been exposed to the tribunal process before and its pretty full on, he was umpiring another girls game and then playing his own game at Hectorville the same day and in between had to fill out report forms, send emails and take phone calls from the league and tribunal commissioner as it all had to be formalised by 6pm Sunday for everyone to be notified etc.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:24 am

and today gets a day off school to umpire school knockout footy for cash!
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:33 am

I've been happy with my gigs lately, they tie in well as I do a 17's and a B's game in the afternoon then have a twilight women's game most Saturday's, it allows me to chill out and watch the races for the main races and I'm still home early enough to go out or have a few beers watching the footy.

Gotta do an A Grade game this week though and my horse is running an early race at Morphettville, and they switched my women's gig to Sunday.

Negative's: I like umpiring the 17's as they listen to me and I chat with most of them during the game and the B's are generally good blokes just out having a kick, it's a bit sloppy at times but I just put the whistle away.

Positive's: More money for less hours, and I'm home early, $300 for the two gigs, all up it's under 3 hours game time.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:25 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:I've been happy with my gigs lately, they tie in well as I do a 17's and a B's game in the afternoon then have a twilight women's game most Saturday's, it allows me to chill out and watch the races for the main races and I'm still home early enough to go out or have a few beers watching the footy.

Gotta do an A Grade game this week though and my horse is running an early race at Morphettville, and they switched my women's gig to Sunday.

Negative's: I like umpiring the 17's as they listen to me and I chat with most of them during the game and the B's are generally good blokes just out having a kick, it's a bit sloppy at times but I just put the whistle away.

Positive's: More money for less hours, and I'm home early, $300 for the two gigs, all up it's under 3 hours game time.

Spoke too soon, they just changed it, doing an A Grade game at 2:45 then a women's game at the same venue at 5:30, different leagues but at least I don't have to go anywhere and now have Sunday free.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Mythical Creature » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:28 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:I've been happy with my gigs lately, they tie in well as I do a 17's and a B's game in the afternoon then have a twilight women's game most Saturday's, it allows me to chill out and watch the races for the main races and I'm still home early enough to go out or have a few beers watching the footy.

Spoke too soon, they just changed it, doing an A Grade game at 2:45 then a women's game at the same venue at 5:30, different leagues but at least I don't have to go anywhere and now have Sunday free.

AV?
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:31 pm

Mythical Creature wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

AV?

Yeah mate, I just received notification of our horse running too, I thought it was gonna be an early race, it's race 7 @ 3:51 FFS!
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Spargo » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:33 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Mythical Creature wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

AV?

Yeah mate, I just received notification of our horse running too, I thought it was gonna be an early race, it's race 7 @ 3:51 FFS!

Half time - works out well...
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5478 times
Been liked: 5119 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Mythical Creature » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:27 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Mythical Creature wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

AV?

We normally have a phone on the bench that flicks between footy and racing (our assistant coach not the proper one).
I can organise a message to be ran out if you like! :lol:
Last week I was the runner, not sure if I will be this week or not.
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:56 pm

Spargo wrote:

Half time - works out well...

Infact, a 2:45 start would mean around 3:12 qtr time, 3:17 to 3:43 2nd quarter, 20 minute half time break........................Bingo!!
Last edited by Lightning McQueen on Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:59 pm

Mythical Creature wrote:
We normally have a phone on the bench that flicks between footy and racing (our assistant coach not the proper one).
I can organise a message to be ran out if you like! :lol:
Last week I was the runner, not sure if I will be this week or not.

Cheers mate, I got my daughter to signal with flashing of the car lights to where it finished last Saturday :lol:

If we start on time or a couple of minutes early it looks like I'll be watching it run.

I'll see ya Saturday regardless.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:15 pm

I once took my little radio with earpiece onto the cricket field and listened to my horse run at 1st slip.

Which women's league do you umpire LM?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Corona Man » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:14 pm

Dutchy wrote:I once took my little radio with earpiece onto the cricket field and listened to my horse run at 1st slip.

I captained a team where before the toss I agreed with the other captain that “drinks” would be called for during a Caulfield cup....
Corona Man
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:06 pm

Dutchy wrote:I once took my little radio with earpiece onto the cricket field and listened to my horse run at 1st slip.

AdFL.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:24 pm

Had last Sunday off as I headed over the ditch.

So to the weekend just gone.

Sat U/19's good game in heavy conditions. Top placed South Morang only got on top in the last few minutes to secure the win.

Sunday Womens. In dry conditions, ran in the flats, saw another good contest. Top team Greensborough had given lowly Hurstbridge a "touch up" 3 weeks ago to the tune of 10 goals. The Borough still got the points, but only by 2 goals. Had an interesting piece of play, I awarded a free kick for holding, the player on the mark threw the ball back to her opponent, with some vigour. The opponent didn't catch the ball, and it smashed her in the face....... I payed a 25...... on as I was taking the offender back 25, she said, stupid bitch should have caught it...... probably so I said to her, but its just not a good look!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:52 pm

Hard game at the Gully on Saturday. From the first bounce I could see it was going to be a physical game as both sides came to play and had to make sure I was on my game.

Always tried to do my best to pay the first high tackle so game didn't get out of hand. Missed a couple but would say I got most of my decisions right thou some did not agree with them.

Gullies were first to the ball most of the day and played in front.

Good hard game in perfect conditions.

Goal umpired on Sunday in an U18 game that reached no great heights until the last quarter where Athelstone stormed home to win by 1pt after being 3 goals down at 3qtr time in a low scoring game.
2017, 2019 & 2020 PREMIERS
RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 128 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues