American Elections

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: American Elections

Postby Apachebulldog » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:18 pm

Good old boy George WBYAH should be charged with war crimes for invading a country which alledgedly was stashing WMC's, the world is still waiting for them to appear.

The seppos are nothing but war mongers and its all about business and $$$$'s for Dubbyah's mates who own the factories, they are purveyors of death

Hopefully Obama can do something about the American GREED which is achieved from peoples misery all around the world.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SANFL 2000 - 2011 Central District 12 consecutive Grand Final appearances and 9 Premierships.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFF.

Hit em hard let them get up and hit em again.
Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 115 times

Postby Squawk » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:52 pm

How bad is the Advertiser tho - on Thursday the first 7 pages were dedicated to the President-elect.

It wasn't until page 14 that the big domestic news kicked in - "$40billion hole in budget".

A cynic would suggest that the financial news was released by the govt to coincide with the US election result and have it buried as deep as possible in news reports.
Steve Bradbury and Michael Milton. Aussie Legends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnztSjUB2U
Squawk
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby JAS » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:17 pm

Squawk wrote:A cynic would suggest that the financial news was released by the govt to coincide with the US election result and have it buried as deep as possible in news reports.

Wouldn't be in the least bit surprised...a similar thing was famously tried here on 9/11...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/1823120.stm

Always worth taking a look what the government is announcing when big global news stories take the lead.

Regards
JAS
You can't be a pirate if you don't have a beard. I said so. MY boat, MY rules.

We haven't got a plank. Just ******* jump

Trust no one The truth is everyone is going to let you down you eventually
JAS
Coach

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Gozu » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:10 am

I agree entirely, Howard was the master at it.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Been liked: 660 times

Postby redandblack » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:09 am

Squawk wrote:How bad is the Advertiser tho - on Thursday the first 7 pages were dedicated to the President-elect.

It wasn't until page 14 that the big domestic news kicked in - "$40billion hole in budget".

A cynic would suggest that the financial news was released by the govt to coincide with the US election result and have it buried as deep as possible in news reports.

squawk, there wouldn't be a country in the world that hadn't had a hole blown in its budget recently. Hardly surprising news.
redandblack

Postby Psyber » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:16 am

redandblack wrote:
Squawk wrote:How bad is the Advertiser tho - on Thursday the first 7 pages were dedicated to the President-elect.
squawk, there wouldn't be a country in the world that hadn't had a hole blown in its budget recently. Hardly surprising news.
Very true R&B. I don't like bailing out the gamblers in the market, but I think the intervention was necessary to avoid a bigger collapse that would have hurt everyone.
Now if we could engineer a permanent ban on short-selling and futures trading both of which are gambling, not investing, we may get a more stable market...
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Squawk » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:50 am

redandblack wrote:squawk, there wouldn't be a country in the world that hadn't had a hole blown in its budget recently. Hardly surprising news.

I think you missed the point r&b - the point was related to the timing of the announcement. Clearly it was timed to coincide with the US election outcome. Also, Community Cabinet was in Tasmania at the time - well away from the eastern seaboard media scrum.

If they had made the announcement in a 'normal' week (ie no Melbourne Cup and no US Election), it would have brought a hell of a lot more attention.

Ironically the media spin machines were initiated by Don Dunstan and one of the key principles is to store bad news for busy news days and release good news on slow news days.

My comment about the Advertiser was about our "local" newspaper dedicating its first 7 pages to Obama, and a domestic issue of a mere $40bn hole in the budget couldn't be given any attention apparently until page 14. Seemingly, Obama was far more important to South Australia's interests.
Steve Bradbury and Michael Milton. Aussie Legends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnztSjUB2U
Squawk
Assistant Coach

Been liked: 3 times

Postby redandblack » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:03 pm

Yes, I understood your point, squawk, but I just thought that what was announced was hardly sensational news that needed to be 'buried'.

As for the timing, I generally agree with you about political parties timing bad announcements, but in this case it came out when it was pre-announced to come out. They'd already said it would be announced when it was available, and it was.

Otherwise they would have left it to Friday night :D
redandblack

Postby Leaping Lindner » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:47 am

You've got to wonder why the Republicans would choose someone to run for VP whose husband is a member of The Alaskan Successionist Movement? He didn't want to be part of the country his wife was potentially going to be second of charge of. :-k
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby Snaggletooth Tiger » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:01 am

Leaping Lindner wrote:You've got to wonder why the Republicans would choose someone to run for VP whose husband is a member of The Alaskan Successionist Movement? He didn't want to be part of the country his wife was potentially going to be second of charge of. :-k

Stinks of conspiracy eh?...
The Republicans wanted to lose so the Democrats will cop all the flak from this current global recession!
Just a thought!
GO THE GROWL!!!

"Shut the gate on this one Maxy... It's the Duck's Guts!"
Snaggletooth Tiger
League Bench Warmer

Postby therisingblues » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:26 pm

Snaggletooth Tiger wrote:
Leaping Lindner wrote:You've got to wonder why the Republicans would choose someone to run for VP whose husband is a member of The Alaskan Successionist Movement? He didn't want to be part of the country his wife was potentially going to be second of charge of. :-k

The Republicans wanted to lose so the Democrats will cop all the flak from this current global recession!
Just a thought!

You are the first person I has said that so far as I have been reading.
I have long wondered the same thing. The duo that the republicans put up for election this time around were clearly a joke. It really looked as though they didn't want to win it this time around.
Perhaps the Republicans understood that there was a very good chance they weren't going to win owing to the crappy situation the Bush regime has led the US into, so the real candidates, or the ones that had a decent chance of winning, stood back and said "anyone else?" and up goes the hand of some geriatric who says "I'll do it!" They give him some "gesture coaching" so that he looks confident all the time and is everybody's pal, then they pull some absolute unknown out of the woods to run with him; someone who doesn't even know that she's possibly been set up as a decoy this time around, so that they can hand the whole mess over to the Democrats without tarnishing the reputation of anyone important.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby mick » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:44 pm

therisingblues wrote:
Snaggletooth Tiger wrote:

Just a thought!

You are the first person I has said that so far as I have been reading.
I have long wondered the same thing. The duo that the republicans put up for election this time around were clearly a joke. It really looked as though they didn't want to win it this time around.
Perhaps the Republicans understood that there was a very good chance they weren't going to win owing to the crappy situation the Bush regime has led the US into, so the real candidates, or the ones that had a decent chance of winning, stood back and said "anyone else?" and up goes the hand of some geriatric who says "I'll do it!" They give him some "gesture coaching" so that he looks confident all the time and is everybody's pal, then they pull some absolute unknown out of the woods to run with him; someone who doesn't even know that she's possibly been set up as a decoy this time around, so that they can hand the whole mess over to the Democrats without tarnishing the reputation of anyone important.

I partially agree with this, but I think John McCain was a credible candidate, quite a decent human being, he only just lost out against George W as the nominee 8 years ago. He would have IMHO made a much better President than Bush, as someone who had actually taken part in a war (Vietnam) perhaps he might not have lead the US into the insoluble mess they have in Iraq. I also think McCain was too old to stand this time, had he been successful he might have been a one term President or died in office. The selection of Sarah Palin was a cynical exercise that backfired, they picked a woman to try and snare some of the Hillary factor, she was also a bit of a MILF. However as time wore on it was clear that she didn't have what it takes intellectually. I find it amazing that a university educated person could think Africa was a country. The very thought that Sarah Palin could be President was a frightening scenario, thankfully the majority of Americans thought the same way. I think Obama has been passed a poisoned chalice, there will be unreasonable expectations that he will be able to fix America's problems in the next couple of years, the republicans could well be back in the white house in 2012, let's all pray not with Sarah Palin as President.
mick
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time

Postby redden whites » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:43 pm

Dead Right Mick. Sarah Palin= Nicole Cornes
redden whites
League - Best 21

Been liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Postby stan » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:20 pm

redden whites wrote:Dead Right Mick. Sarah Palin= Nicole Cornes

Actually I was thinking the same thing.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1256 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby GWW » Tue May 03, 2011 6:51 pm

Jimmy wrote:this country is full of ******* idiots.....

how can a country vote in a president that is associated with terrorists...the mind boggles...might have to move to france :roll: :shock:

Perhaps he forgot he was associated with the terrorists when he arranged to capture Bin Laden.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Tue May 03, 2011 8:50 pm

GWW wrote:
Jimmy wrote:this country is full of ******* idiots.....

how can a country vote in a president that is associated with terrorists...the mind boggles...might have to move to france :roll: :shock:

Perhaps he forgot he was associated with the terrorists when he arranged to capture Bin Laden.

You have the "run away" part down pat Jimmy. I'm sure you will be more than welcomed in France.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Previous

Board index   General Talk  Politics