Tony Piccolo's response to the Sunday Mail article.

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Tony Piccolo's response to the Sunday Mail article.

Postby Sojourner » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:45 pm

Have to say that I am a little impressed by Labor MP Tony Piccolo and the way that he handled the situation where the Sunday Mail published shots of his and his collegue Frances Bedfords cars parked in the Disabled Parking Spaces which annoyed a number of people with disabilities and others in the communtiy. Think its a good thing that he accepted MLC Kelly Vincents suggestion and took it on the chin rather than the usual double talk and buck passing made by most politiicans. - No word yet from Frances Bedford on what she is going to do....

Dear Editor

A metropolitan newspaper over the weekend published a story regarding my car been parked in a disabled car park without a proper purpose.

I acknowledge that my car did not have a person in it with the relevant permit when it was parked in the disabled car park.

While I do not seek to justify what happened I wish to explain the circumstances that gave rise to the situation.

On the tenth of May, I was representing the Minister for Volunteers at the Annual Volunteers Recognition awards which were held at the Saint Hilarion Centre at Seaton.

I drove to the event with a staff member. Arriving at the event, I left my vehicle at the entrance for my staff member (who was the passenger at that time) to park the vehicle while I walked ahead.

When I returned to my car after the event I did query why the car was parked in that particular spot and was told that the car park had been “coned off” with a sign indicating that it was reserved for me. The cone and sign were still in the front of the disabled car park (and my car) so I didn’t seek further clarification. Since the car park was on private property and a special event had been held I assumed (quite mistakenly as it turns out) that other arrangements had been for people with disabilities.

Legislative Council member, Ms Kelly Vincent quite rightly states disabled car parks should only be used for persons holding valid permits. She has suggested that I pay the equivalent amount of the fine to a charity supporting people with disabilities. Mindful of the challenges facing people with disabilities, as a spokesperson for people with disabilities, I am happy to fulfil that request.

I accept full responsibility for the incident and unreservedly apologise for this error and will pay the appropriate penalty like any other citizen of the state.

Kind Regards

Tony Piccolo

https://www.facebook.com/notes/tony-pic ... 4993326007
Steamranger, South Australia's best ever Tourist Attraction, Treat Yourself, Let your Money Buy you Happiness!!!
Sojourner
Veteran

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Re: Tony Piccolo's response to the Sunday Mail article.

Postby Squawk » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:23 am

Good work Tony. Honestly, this issue will be forgotten now - take responsibility and move on! Pollies do learn sometimes. Even Nicola Roxon has been caught out today soliciting donations from tobacco companies in 2005. She's admitted it. Small problem for her is that she has been all over the Libs for still accepting donations.

I've always thought the best thing in these circumstances is to fess up, accept the consequences and move along. Usually, it's forgotten pretty quickly.
Steve Bradbury and Michael Milton. Aussie Legends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnztSjUB2U
Squawk
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times

Board index   General Talk  Politics