What do Labor need to do to turn it around?

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: What do Labor need to do to turn it around?

Postby Bat Pad » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:33 am

GWW wrote:However, the lack of spending on infrastructure in the Howard years caused its own set of problems.

The GST made the State Governments rich enough to fund their own infrastructure, I don't think they can be seen as blameless for infrastructure worries.
Bat Pad
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time

Postby scoob » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:10 pm

Was thinking about this the other day - can you imagine the next election result if nothing changes... Labor will get wiped off the map. If the LNP could be a little patience and stop the 'we need an election now' routine they will romp home and have a large majority - which in either form is not a good thing in my book. Such a simple campaign will need to be run by them - by that time a Carbon Tax is implemented and all the LNP campaign adverts will have is Gillard announcing her well known, and discussed lie, falsity, furphy, differing point of view.

If labor are to have any chance, they will let Gillard take them through the coming online of the carbon tax then dump her for a more popular leader just before the election to distance themselves from her 'mistakes' and low polls - sounds familiar? But this time they dont have the lead they had in 2010 - so its looking pretty dicey for them at the moment, and will be interesting to see how all parties play it out of the next year or 2.
scoob
Veteran

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 87 times

Postby straight talker » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:52 pm

straight talker

Postby dedja » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:22 pm

scoob wrote:Was thinking about this the other day - can you imagine the next election result if nothing changes... Labor will get wiped off the map. If the LNP could be a little patience and stop the 'we need an election now' routine they will romp home and have a large majority - which in either form is not a good thing in my book. Such a simple campaign will need to be run by them - by that time a Carbon Tax is implemented and all the LNP campaign adverts will have is Gillard announcing her well known, and discussed lie, falsity, furphy, differing point of view.

If labor are to have any chance, they will let Gillard take them through the coming online of the carbon tax then dump her for a more popular leader just before the election to distance themselves from her 'mistakes' and low polls - sounds familiar? But this time they dont have the lead they had in 2010 - so its looking pretty dicey for them at the moment, and will be interesting to see how all parties play it out of the next year or 2.

spot on ... Labor are cactus regardless but if they're smart they may be able to minimise the damage instead of being blasted into oblivion for 3 terms.
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 1024 times

Postby straight talker » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:16 am

start telling the australian people the truth and stop trying to bring in policies that are going to ruin the country when the people of australia dont want them in. Take the carbon tax issue why wont she take it to an election and let the people of australia decide as that is who JULIAR represents isnt it?
straight talker

Postby straight talker » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:20 pm

straight talker

Postby Sojourner » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:51 pm

straight talker wrote:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/opinion/gillards-denial-can-only-end-in-disaster/story-fn56baaq-1226128431925

Why do you think Andrew Wilkie had put a time limit on his poker machine reforms being passed, I think he is well aware that its going to fall over in less than 12 months ensureing that his reforms will not get through if they are stalled at this stage of the game.
Steamranger, South Australia's best ever Tourist Attraction, Treat Yourself, Let your Money Buy you Happiness!!!
Sojourner
Veteran

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby straight talker » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:20 pm

yes i agree. Gillard promised him she will get it thru but somehow i dont think she will with the uproar it has caused in every state! Oh well we will see if JULIAR breaks another thing that came out of her mouth before thinking but i guess she needed to sell her soul to get into government. (her party)
straight talker

Postby Psyber » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:48 am

What do Labor need to do to turn it around? According to the polls recycling Kevin07 may do it..
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby straight talker » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:12 am

Psyber wrote:What do Labor need to do to turn it around? According to the polls recycling Kevin07 may do it..

yes well they knifed him and gillards numbers are the worst in history so it wont be long and the union thugs will want her out.
straight talker

Postby cripple » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:32 am

straight talker wrote:yes i agree. Gillard promised him she will get it thru but somehow i dont think she will with the uproar it has caused in every state! Oh well we will see if JULIAR breaks another thing that came out of her mouth before thinking but i guess she needed to sell her soul to get into government. (her party)

Bit like Wilkie being promised a billion dollar hospital in his electorate by Wingnut Abbott after the election. If the coalition was forced to work with the Greens the same thing would be happening. If you dont believe that just wait till the next election win Abbott and co. are forced to work with the Greens in the senate.
cripple
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby mick » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:19 pm

If he calls a double dissolution and the coalition preferences the ALP over the Greens, he may not have to deal with them. I do agree we would have the same mess no matter who is in power, minority government is not the way to go.
mick
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Sky Pilot » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:22 pm

mick wrote:If he calls a double dissolution and the coalition preferences the ALP over the Greens, he may not have to deal with them. I do agree we would have the same mess no matter who is in power, minority government is not the way to go.

X2 8)
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby straight talker » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:09 pm

cripple wrote:
straight talker wrote:yes i agree. Gillard promised him she will get it thru but somehow i dont think she will with the uproar it has caused in every state! Oh well we will see if JULIAR breaks another thing that came out of her mouth before thinking but i guess she needed to sell her soul to get into government. (her party)

Bit like Wilkie being promised a billion dollar hospital in his electorate by Wingnut Abbott after the election. If the coalition was forced to work with the Greens the same thing would be happening. If you dont believe that just wait till the next election win Abbott and co. are forced to work with the Greens in the senate.

it does not matter what abbott promised and who he made the promises too he is in opposition and the big promises JULIAR made she now has to keep or it will go down as just more of her lies! She sold her soul to stay in government so lets see if she keeps them! Like has been said abbott might not have to deal with the greens and certainly wont have to deal with the duff independants as they will be out thats a certainty,.
straight talker

Postby Sky Pilot » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:35 pm

The drop kick Oakshott will certainly go down at the next election and Windsor will lose a fair few votes among farmers up there in Armidale but there are enough leftie-greenie trendies in that electorate to maybe keep him in power. There aren't too many bright people in Tasmania so the traitor, snitch and failed ex-army officer will probably hold his seat too.
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Previous

Board index   General Talk  Politics