Interest Rate Cuts

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Interest Rate Cuts

Postby RustyCage » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:28 pm

There is talk of a few banks from overseas opening up branches here too, the sooner that happens the sooner the big 4 have some accountability
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Re: Interest Rate Cuts

Postby gossipgirl » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:05 pm

Unfortunately the banks only have 1 objective and thats to keep making record profits and the best way to do this is with interest rates. They suck the big one :evil:
Adelaide Crows World champions 2017 - Crows 4.11 to Lions 4.5
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1434 times
Been liked: 57 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Psyber » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:12 pm

gossipgirl wrote:Unfortunately the banks only have 1 objective and thats to keep making record profits and the best way to do this is with interest rates. They suck the big one :evil:
Every company needs to keep making "record profits" to keep up with the overall inflationary trend.
If the amount of capital tied up in any business grows and profits don't they are on the slow slide into collapse.
Profits must be seen as a percentage of the capital invested to be meaningful - criticism without that perspective is just political propaganda.

That said, it would help if no business (or government department) overpaid its executives, as that would improve profitability.

The same principle should be applied to government fiscal policies too perhaps. ;)
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby infinity+1 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:08 pm

you live in a fantasy land of $400,000 salaries and driving around in audis listening to bochello psyber. the average schmo wants interest rates cut and cut now. i have to feed my guts somehow, iced coffees are cheap you know. interest rate cuts now or im going on strike, **** their profits.
infinity+1
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 8 times

Postby Psyber » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:08 pm

infinity+1 wrote:you live in a fantasy land of $400,000 salaries and driving around in audis listening to bochello psyber. the average schmo wants interest rates cut and cut now. i have to feed my guts somehow, iced coffees are cheap you know. interest rate cuts now or im going on strike, **** their profits.
I'm just saying you have to be realistic about how businesses run and create jobs.
You can't fantasise that jobs will still be there, and that the money will stay in business, if it isn't making enough to be worth the greater risk than leaving your money in a bank you know is sound.

There is no point in running a business if profit rates are lower than just leaving the money in your bank account - why bother? - and no business = no jobs.
The same applies to the availability of rental housing - if rents are well under bank account rates and the capital gain is taxed, why put up with the hassle and risk? - result, rental housing shortage.
(PS: My annual income from my Super is under $40K in this current economic climate, and my Audi is a 1995 model that I bought second-hand in 2002.)
Psyber
Coach

Postby infinity+1 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:13 am

Psyber wrote:
infinity+1 wrote:you live in a fantasy land of $400,000 salaries and driving around in audis listening to bochello psyber. the average schmo wants interest rates cut and cut now. i have to feed my guts somehow, iced coffees are cheap you know. interest rate cuts now or im going on strike, **** their profits.
I'm just saying you have to be realistic about how businesses run and create jobs.
You can't fantasise that jobs will still be there, and that the money will stay in business, if it isn't making enough to be worth the greater risk than leaving your money in a bank you know is sound.

There is no point in running a business if profit rates are lower than just leaving the money in your bank account - why bother? - and no business = no jobs.
The same applies to the availability of rental housing - if rents are well under bank account rates and the capital gain is taxed, why put up with the hassle and risk? - result, rental housing shortage.
(PS: My annual income from my Super is under $40K in this current economic climate, and my Audi is a 1995 model that I bought second-hand in 2002.)

i agree with you psyber im all for a different economic system. not communism as such but something better than capitalism which just makes every man and his dog a worker ant and a slave to the system. if you had an out of body experience and looked down upon humankind youd fair dinkum shake your head. big business has had it way to good for too long. interest rate cuts now or ill take my money out of the banks and hide it in my cupboard.
infinity+1
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 8 times

Postby Psyber » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:13 pm

infinity+1 wrote: i agree with you psyber im all for a different economic system. not communism as such but something better than capitalism which just makes every man and his dog a worker ant and a slave to the system. if you had an out of body experience and looked down upon humankind youd fair dinkum shake your head. big business has had it way to good for too long. interest rate cuts now or ill take my money out of the banks and hide it in my cupboard.
Your money in the bank would actually do better if rates went up.
My cash deposits in my accounts are earning 5.75% whereas my shares are generating only about a 2% return on capital tied up.
It is only the hope of capital gains when the world economy stabilises that makes keeping the shares worth while.
Cash doesn't grow with capital inflation - only with interest - so you need a balance to cover both possibilities.

I guess those of us with more borrowings than deposits naturally want rates down, while those with more deposits than borrowings would be better off if they went up..

The real problem in the present system is CEO salary inflation and the instability generated by speculative share trading like short selling - selling something you don't own yet and will have to own by the due date. I also have reservations about futures trading as it, too, promotes a form of gambling in the share market. However, I do understand the impulse of manufacturers to secure future supplies of raw materials at today's (theoretically) more affordable prices.
Psyber
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue May 01, 2012 3:13 pm

down by 50 basis points to 3.75 % cash rate

the banks wont pass all that on, i reckon we would be lucky for it to go down by .30 tops
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11912 times
Been liked: 3627 times

Postby scoob » Tue May 01, 2012 3:24 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:down by 50 basis points to 3.75 % cash rate

the banks wont pass all that on, i reckon we would be lucky for it to go down by .30 tops

Of course they will MT otherwise they will have to answer to Wanye Swan :roll:
scoob
Veteran

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 87 times

Postby southee » Tue May 01, 2012 4:14 pm

scoob wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:down by 50 basis points to 3.75 % cash rate

Of course they will MT otherwise they will have to answer to Wanye Swan :roll:

Oh I fear mr. Swan ....so tough with the banks :roll:
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 861 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby once_were_warriors » Tue May 01, 2012 8:58 pm

They will drop them accordingly.

Lot of pressure on at the moment to write new loans , can't keep going for ever with no growth on the books.
If at first you don't succeed , then destroy all evidence that you tried in the first place
once_were_warriors
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby Psyber » Wed May 02, 2012 12:17 pm

once_were_warriors wrote:They will drop them accordingly.
Lot of pressure on at the moment to write new loans , can't keep going for ever with no growth on the books.
Loan writing is now inhibited by new federal rules too.
Now the banks can only lend amounts based on your income flow being adequate to pay for them on last years figures.
They can't lend you more than that income can cover even if you have other assets you are prepared to sell to cover the loan if necessary.
That stifles investment opportunities.

I had a project in mind but couldn't launch it without a bigger loan than my previous years income covered.
The fact that I could choose, in future, to draw more than the legal minimum from my superannuation fund to cover it, or sell other assets, didn't help.
My bank manager said, "Last year we'd have said 'Sure how much do you need?' "
Psyber
Coach

Postby once_were_warriors » Wed May 02, 2012 3:07 pm

Psyber wrote:
Now the banks can only lend amounts based on your income flow being adequate to pay for them on last years figures.
They can't lend you more than that income can cover even if you have other assets you are prepared to sell to cover the loan if necessary.

I had a project in mind but couldn't launch it without a bigger loan than my previous years income covered.
The fact that I could choose, in future, to draw more than the legal minimum from my superannuation fund to cover it, or sell other assets, didn't help.

More towards thinking that home ownership purchases would be determined by house prices,interest rates and job security. If banks don't start providing confidence that variable rates are going to rise and fall on par with the RBA cash rates , then people aren't going to be as confident in commiting to mortgages.
If at first you don't succeed , then destroy all evidence that you tried in the first place
once_were_warriors
Under 18s

Been liked: 2 times

Postby Psyber » Wed May 02, 2012 4:48 pm

once_were_warriors wrote: More towards thinking that home ownership purchases would be determined by house prices,interest rates and job security. If banks don't start providing confidence that variable rates are going to rise and fall on par with the RBA cash rates , then people aren't going to be as confident in commiting to mortgages.
Bank rates have never been tied to RBA rates, though they have tended to move in the same general direction most of the time.
The idea they should be tied is a fantasy the ALP episodically runs out to curry favour with the electors when they are feeling the pinch of their fiscal "management".
Their only hope of making it happen is to own the banks, which they tried for back in the 1940s, or early 1950s, IIRC.
Psyber
Coach

Postby james07 » Wed May 02, 2012 5:08 pm

Psyber wrote:

this was in part the reason of the GFC hit, great ideas with no financial backing
james07
Under 16s

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 13 times

Postby Psyber » Thu May 03, 2012 2:39 pm

james07 wrote: this was in part the reason of the GFC hit, great ideas with no financial backing
Yeah.
Sadly, I could have backed my project by drawing more income in future or selling something else, but the new rules are not flexible enough to accept that.
I wonder if this allegedly protective policy is actually aimed at forcing people to use less deductions so they and borrow when needed, and so pay more tax. :lol:
Psyber
Coach

Postby Sojourner » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:26 am

Interesting discussion on Interest Rates on ABC 891, the representative from the NAB stated that its their position that they feel the next move on rates will be a correction upwards likely in July next year with rates to flatline in the meantime, another commentator from another organisation suggested they felt that there were a further two .25% cuts on the way before Christmas?

Either way one might think that now is not the time to take up a bank offer to fix your loan for any length of time?
Steamranger, South Australia's best ever Tourist Attraction, Treat Yourself, Let your Money Buy you Happiness!!!
Sojourner
Veteran

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby dedja » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:57 am

I have always believed in using variable interest rates instead of fixed ... whilst there may be short term pain with variable, IMO there invariably will be longer term pain on fixed.

My reasoning is that the financial institutions have to hedge their risk in their fixed rates, hence there will be a bigger expected margin for them to cover this risk.

That said, fixed rates can give an indication of where the market is heading, or more to the point where financial institutions believe the market is heading.
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 1024 times

Postby toot toot » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:25 pm

I agree, banks have forcasted further rate drops. Personally I thought it was a good time to fix portion of my loan at a rate 0.56% below my current variable rate (which means I'd need 3 x rate cuts of .25% to be worse off). I fixed $50k for 1 year, 2 years, & 3 years. leaving the remaining $108k at a variable rate which I can still use my offset facility against.
toot toot
Under 16s

Been liked: 5 times

Previous

Board index   General Talk  Politics