SA Senator Nick Xenophon in custody in Malaysia

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

SA Senator Nick Xenophon in custody in Malaysia

Postby RustyCage » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:34 am

SA Senator Nick Xenophon in custody in Malaysia over meetings with pro-democracy MPs

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/sa-senator-nick-xenophon-in-custody-in-malaysia-over-meetings-with-pro-democracy-mps-i/story-e6frea83-1226579351300

EXCLUSIVE: Independent Senator Nick Xenophon is being detained under police guard and awaiting deportation from Malaysia as an "enemy of the state", over a series of planned meetings with pro-democracy MPs in Kuala Lumpur.

Xenophon landed in KL this morning but has been under armed guard for the past two hours. He is being held in an interrogation room at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport, which has a series of adjoining cells holding female prisoners. He has been told he is not allowed to make telephone calls and is not even allowed to go to the bathroom without a police guard.

Xenophon managed to make a call to The Sunday Mail when he was left unattended in the interrogation room.

"I am effectively a prisoner here," Xenophon said. "I'm being held in an area with all these holding cells which are full of women. They have basically told me I am an enemy of the state. They are trying to get me on the next plane out of here and back home."

Xenophon managed to use his contacts to get a text message to the Australian High Commission in KL and is awaiting a visit from High Commissioner Miles Cooper.

After he landed this morning the South Australian anti-pokies Senator joined the customs queue but was told there were "irregularities" with his passport. He was then taken away by the immigration officials to the guarded area where he was told that the Malaysian authorities knew of his stance on human rights in Malaysia and his itinerary for this week.

Xenophon was scheduled to meet with pro-democracy and Opposition MPs - yet oddly he had also been granted a meeting with a senior Government MP, the Special Minister of State.

"I was even meeting members of the Government, I mean, the whole situation is ridiculous, we are meant to be the closest of friends with Malaysia," he said. "We are meant to be having a people swap deal on asylum seekers but so far it looks like the only person being swapped is me."

Xenophon believes that a recent article he wrote for Fairfax newspapers in January, which was critical of human rights in Malaysia, may have emboldened the authorities to deny him entry. Last year he was also unwittingly caught up in a 25,000-strong democracy protest in KL where he was tear-gassed.
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Re: SA Senator Nick Xenophon in custody in Malaysia

Postby Gozu » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:19 pm

Highlights even more how disgusting Labor's Malaysian Solution policy is/was.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby Bully » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:06 pm

Its tony abbotts fault
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Postby tipper » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:20 am

my only problem with this is that they deported him back here. why couldnt they keep the slimy scumbag?

we could have rounded up a plane load of pollies to go join him and keep him company too, thin the ranks of deadwood we have representing us at the moment...
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Board index   General Talk  Politics