Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Postby Q. » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:13 am

It barely garnered any attention, but the Greens motion to disallow the Gene Technology Amendment (2019 Measures No. 1) Regulations 2019 was defeated by LNP and Labor in a strong show of bipartisanship (proof they can actually cooperate).

Now SA just needs the Greens motion to disallow regulations that would lift the moratorium on mainland South Australia to be defeated next week - there is a strong reliance on the SA Best vote, which on paper suggests they would be in favour of the science, but minor parties can be unpredictable.
User avatar
Q.
Coach
 
 
Posts: 21517
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:16 pm
Location: El Dorado
Has liked: 948 times
Been liked: 2271 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Postby Psyber » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:11 pm

Gene Technology Amendment (2019 Measures No. 1) Regulations 2019...
I had a bit of a browse through to see what the issues were but got bored before I got the the core issues.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
User avatar
Psyber
Coach
 
 
Posts: 11704
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:43 pm
Location: Now back in the Adelaide Hills.
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 250 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Postby Bum Crack » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:23 am

Q. wrote:It barely garnered any attention, but the Greens motion to disallow the Gene Technology Amendment (2019 Measures No. 1) Regulations 2019 was defeated by LNP and Labor in a strong show of bipartisanship (proof they can actually cooperate).

Now SA just needs the Greens motion to disallow regulations that would lift the moratorium on mainland South Australia to be defeated next week - there is a strong reliance on the SA Best vote, which on paper suggests they would be in favour of the science, but minor parties can be unpredictable.

Did you just call the Leon Byner Program regarding the above?
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach
 
Posts: 6671
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:20 pm
Location: Here
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 580 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Postby Gozu » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:59 pm

Greens Senator Sarah Hanson-Young wins her defamation case against former nut job politician David Leyonhjelm.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/hanson- ... 53dw3.html

Leyonhjelm will have to pay her $120,000 plus interest and legal costs, sucked in that clown disgraced the parliament.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
User avatar
Gozu
Coach
 
 
Posts: 12106
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:35 am
Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 565 times

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Postby stan » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:35 am

Gozu wrote:Greens Senator Sarah Hanson-Young wins her defamation case against former nut job politician David Leyonhjelm.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/hanson- ... 53dw3.html

Leyonhjelm will have to pay her $120,000 plus interest and legal costs, sucked in that clown disgraced the parliament.
Oh well poor old David.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
User avatar
stan
Coach
 
 
Posts: 12405
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:53 am
Location: North Eastern Suburbs
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 857 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Postby DOC » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:25 pm

Angus Taylor. now the subject of a Police investigation for the doctored documents regarding Clover Moores travel costs.

Despite this very clear standard:

The PM’s “Statement of Ministerial Standards” Clause 7:1
“...a Minister should stand aside if that Minister becomes the subject of an official investigation of alleged illegal or improper conduct.”

The PM has said that he does not need to stand aside. He is off to Spain in a week for an UN Climate Conference.

No point in having the standards then.
User avatar
DOC
Coach
 
 
Posts: 8773
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:15 pm
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 819 times

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:28 pm

DOC wrote:Angus Taylor. now the subject of a Police investigation for the doctored documents regarding Clover Moores travel costs.

Despite this very clear standard:

The PM’s “Statement of Ministerial Standards” Clause 7:1
“...a Minister should stand aside if that Minister becomes the subject of an official investigation of alleged illegal or improper conduct.”

The PM has said that he does not need to stand aside. He is off to Spain in a week for an UN Climate Conference.

No point in having the standards then.


Mr Morrison rejected calls to stand Mr Taylor aside, telling Federal Parliament he had spoken with NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller who told him the "nature and substance" of inquiries were based solely on the allegations referred to them last month by shadow attorney-general Mark Dreyfus.


Imagine if he made him stand aside. There would be Police complaints made by the Opposition about every minister regardless of which side is in government.
User avatar
Jimmy_041
Coach
 
 
Posts: 10903
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:30 pm
Has liked: 333 times
Been liked: 552 times
Grassroots Team: McLaren

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Postby DOC » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:36 am

The very first part of that standard puts the onus on the minister to stand aside.

It is there for a reason, namely that the person being investigated is at arms length from the staff and infrastructure whom the investigation will centre upon.

I get the point about police complaints made by you. Vexatious complaints waste a lot of valuable time and resources.

The smartest move by the Government would have been to refer the matter themselves as the corrupted information meant that the minister mislead the parliament which is a serious matter.
User avatar
DOC
Coach
 
 
Posts: 8773
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:15 pm
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 819 times

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Postby Magellan » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:16 am

The bigger point in this affair is that it calls into serious question the judgments of Taylor and Morrison. Taylor should've ignored the temptation to criticise Clover Moore, and Morrison shouldn't have called the police commissioner.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
Magellan
Coach
 
 
Posts: 5041
Joined: Sat May 12, 2007 1:04 pm
Has liked: 494 times
Been liked: 1250 times

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Postby DOC » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:00 pm

And, the Police Commissioner should have replied like you would to all third parties, and not commented on the investigation.

For him to do so is poor judgement. For the PM to say in parliament that of course he would ring the Commissioner, who else would he ring (mmmm perhaps the investigating officer?) is even poorer judgement. May not have been intended but to do so but the call itself compromises police independence (learnt perhaps from the Peter Dutton school of visa grants) and puts into question the legitimacy of any findings.
User avatar
DOC
Coach
 
 
Posts: 8773
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:15 pm
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 819 times

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Postby Magellan » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:23 pm

DOC wrote:And, the Police Commissioner should have replied like you would to all third parties, and not commented on the investigation.

For him to do so is poor judgement. For the PM to say in parliament that of course he would ring the Commissioner, who else would he ring (mmmm perhaps the investigating officer?) is even poorer judgement. May not have been intended but to do so but the call itself compromises police independence (learnt perhaps from the Peter Dutton school of visa grants) and puts into question the legitimacy of any findings.

To be honest, there's nothing to see here. ScoMo's got God on his side, and apparently he votes Liberal. ;)
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
Magellan
Coach
 
 
Posts: 5041
Joined: Sat May 12, 2007 1:04 pm
Has liked: 494 times
Been liked: 1250 times

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Postby Q. » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:58 pm

Bum Crack wrote:
Q. wrote:It barely garnered any attention, but the Greens motion to disallow the Gene Technology Amendment (2019 Measures No. 1) Regulations 2019 was defeated by LNP and Labor in a strong show of bipartisanship (proof they can actually cooperate).

Now SA just needs the Greens motion to disallow regulations that would lift the moratorium on mainland South Australia to be defeated next week - there is a strong reliance on the SA Best vote, which on paper suggests they would be in favour of the science, but minor parties can be unpredictable.

Did you just call the Leon Byner Program regarding the above?


Ha, no, but I know the gentleman who Byner cut off.

SA-BEST vote passes the disallowance motion. SA remains a scientific backwater state.
User avatar
Q.
Coach
 
 
Posts: 21517
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:16 pm
Location: El Dorado
Has liked: 948 times
Been liked: 2271 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Postby Q. » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:01 pm

DOC wrote:Angus Taylor. now the subject of a Police investigation for the doctored documents regarding Clover Moores travel costs.

Despite this very clear standard:

The PM’s “Statement of Ministerial Standards” Clause 7:1
“...a Minister should stand aside if that Minister becomes the subject of an official investigation of alleged illegal or improper conduct.”

The PM has said that he does not need to stand aside. He is off to Spain in a week for an UN Climate Conference.

No point in having the standards then.


Never known a more corrupt government than we have now.

They are a disgrace - Dutton today, in defending Taylor, launched a bizarre attack on Albo's hairline :shock:
User avatar
Q.
Coach
 
 
Posts: 21517
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:16 pm
Location: El Dorado
Has liked: 948 times
Been liked: 2271 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Postby Q. » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:28 am

Even after defeat, Morrison continues his tirade against supposed union thugs... while at the same time continue to hit the criminal banking sector with a wet lettuce leaf.
User avatar
Q.
Coach
 
 
Posts: 21517
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:16 pm
Location: El Dorado
Has liked: 948 times
Been liked: 2271 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Postby Q. » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:50 pm

So ScoMo pledges $11mil aerial firefighting boost for the Sydney bushfires.

Except it is the same $11mil he pledged for the National Aerial Firefighting Centre over a year ago and that has been sitting in the grants account under the auspices of the Dept of Home Affairs.

Has there ever been a more crooked piece of shit than the bloke in charge right now?
User avatar
Q.
Coach
 
 
Posts: 21517
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:16 pm
Location: El Dorado
Has liked: 948 times
Been liked: 2271 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Postby Booney » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:10 am

Almost $22 billion has been wiped from the forecast budget surpluses for this and the next three financial years due to revenues plummeting by almost $33 billion on the back of a slowing economy.

The mid-year budget update reveals growth forecasts for wages and the economy have also been drastically downgraded, as has consumption, which creates a major headache for the states.

Treasurer Josh Frydenberg put a positive spin on the result saying it still showed the economy was expected to grow faster than any nation in the G7.

"The Australian economy's remarkable resilience has occurred in the face of strong global and domestic economic headwinds," the treasurer said.

"Despite these challenges, MYEFO demonstrates that the Australian economy continues to grow with the budget returning to surplus for the first time in 12 years."

The Mid-Year Economic and Fiscal Outlook (MYEFO) forecasts that state government GST revenue will fall by $9.9 billion over four years, including $1.8 billion this year.

The update shows that the budget is still forecast to return to surplus his financial year and beyond but the $45.1 billion in cumulative surpluses over four years predicted in the last budget update, released during the election campaign, have been downgraded by $21.6 billion and now tally $23.5 billion.

The surplus forecast for this year of $7.1 billion has been revised down to $5 billion. Next year’s forecast of $11 billion has been revised down to $6.1 billion, while the $17.8 billion for 2021-22 is now $8.4 billion.

These nubers are underpinned by spending being $1.4 billion lower for ths financial year and $11.5 billion over the four years.

The decline is due to forecast revenues plunging $32.6 billion over the four year budget period, including by $3 billion this year.

The revenue falls have been driven by declines in superannuation taxes, GST, company taxes, and income taxes.

As predicted, growth forecasts for wages and GDP have been scaled back in just a matter of months.

The update shows GDP for this year has been downgraded from 2.75 per cent to 2.25 per cent. The forecast for next financial year stays unchanged at 2.75 per cent.

Nominal GDP, which is a measure of national income, is unchanged for this year at 3.25 per cent but plunges next year from 3.75 per cent to 2.25 per cent. This was due largely to a revised fall in coal prices.

Wage growth forecasts also plunge from 2.75 per cent this financial year to 2.25 per cent and next year, falls from 3.25 per cent to 2.5 per cent.

Unemployment forecast for this year and next has risen from 5.2 per cent to 5.25 per cent. The MYEFO puts a positive spin on the outlook.

“Australia’s economy continues to show resilience in the face of weak momentum in the global economy, as well as domestic challenges such as the devastating effects of drought and bushfires,’’ it says.

The MYEFO does not take into account a possible breakthrough in the US-China trade war or Boris Johnson's election victory signalling an end to Brexit uncertainty.

"Let's just wait and see what happens from here,'' Mr Frydenberg said.

Despite the sharp falls in wages, the government claims they will still grow faster than inflation.

"While wage growth and inflation have both been revised downwards, wages are forecast to increase at 2.5 per cent this year and next which is above the forecast for the rate of inflation," the treasurer told reporters on Monday.

He said the states had already taken into account the plunge in GST in their own budget updates.

The MYEFO shows company tax receipts have been downgraded by $700 million for this year and $7.9 billion over the forward estimates. Downgrades to corporate profit forecasts are the cause, driven by lower terms of trade.

Super taxes are forecast to fall by $1.6 billion over four years.

Overall, in this financial year, total tax receipts are down $2.6 billion and non-tax receipts are down by more than $400 million, since the election campaign update.

The budget update contained no substantive new spending, other than reconciling that which has already been announced since the election, thus confirming a pledge by Scott Morrison that he would not be "panicked" into bringing forward stimulus, despite numerous demands.

New stimulus measures, such as a business investment allowance as already flagged by Mr Frydenberg, will be contained in the May 12 budget.

Expenditure reconciled on Monday includes $537 million for more aged care home care packages, $3.8 billion in fast-tracked infrastructure spending and $550 million extra in drought assistance.

The last budget surplus was delivered in 2007-08, a year in which the Coalition governed for the first five months and Labor for the successive seven months.

"With the government's economic plan delivering continued economic growth and a stronger budget position, MYEFO demonstrates that we have the capacity and the flexibility to invest in the areas that the public need most," the treasuer said.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
User avatar
Booney
Coach
 
 
Posts: 47213
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:47 pm
Location: Alberton proud
Has liked: 4815 times
Been liked: 7807 times

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Postby Dutchy » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:01 pm

Q. wrote:So ScoMo pledges $11mil aerial firefighting boost for the Sydney bushfires.

Except it is the same $11mil he pledged for the National Aerial Firefighting Centre over a year ago and that has been sitting in the grants account under the auspices of the Dept of Home Affairs.

Has there ever been a more crooked piece of shit than the bloke in charge right now?


Dont we say that about every PM these days?
FLAGstaff Hill FC 2016, 2017, 2018 & 2019 Premiers
User avatar
Dutchy
Site Admin
 
 
Posts: 39485
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:24 am
Location: Location, Location
Has liked: 1259 times
Been liked: 2083 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Postby Q. » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:07 am

Booney wrote:The surplus forecast for this year of $7.1 billion has been revised down to $5 billion.


90% of this revised surplus is coming from a structural underspend in the NDIS.

Image
User avatar
Q.
Coach
 
 
Posts: 21517
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:16 pm
Location: El Dorado
Has liked: 948 times
Been liked: 2271 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Postby Q. » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:10 am

Meanwhile ScoMo has ticked off to Hawaii during a bushfire crisis. This bloke is way out of his depth - how long until he gets shafted for Herr Dutton?
User avatar
Q.
Coach
 
 
Posts: 21517
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:16 pm
Location: El Dorado
Has liked: 948 times
Been liked: 2271 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Postby Booney » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:13 am

Q. wrote:Meanwhile ScoMo has ticked off to Hawaii during a bushfire crisis. This bloke is way out of his depth - how long until he gets shafted for Herr Dutton?


I'd say real soon. Has there ever been a PM sign their own death warrant in such an emphatic nature?

"Read the room".
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
User avatar
Booney
Coach
 
 
Posts: 47213
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:47 pm
Location: Alberton proud
Has liked: 4815 times
Been liked: 7807 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest