The South Australian Political Landscape

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: The South Australian Political Landscape

Postby Psyber » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:04 pm

Kahuna wrote:
am Bays wrote:Struggled to think were to put this, celebrity casualties, things that make you sad but given his profession here is best, IMO

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-18/tributes-after-political-commentator-dean-jaensch-dies-aged-85/100764566

Long before there was Antony Green there was Dean Jaensch providing election night commentary on the ABC for n national, SA and NT elections. I also well recall his word picture on Sa Election night 1993, Draw a line up Port Road and up main North Rd to Munno Para, then draw line over to the Gulf, and colour it in red, that Is Labor following this election.

Insightful witty and unbiased in his weekly spot on the ABC too in the 80s and 90s.

His ability to cut through the technical spin on politics made for good reading

Didn't realise he was so old, time gets away from us I suppose.
Agree with your summation, he made Election nights interesting and understandable too.
Vale Dean Jaensch.

Dean was a good guy in many ways.
He was a neighbour of mine in the late 1970s when I lived in Klemzig. (The adjacent Vale Park bit.)
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby stan » Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:21 am

The speaker of the house has written to the Premier to recall parliament to deal with how Covid isolated people will vote.

To be honest I can't see him doing this. He had to waiting until the opposition leader and a few of his colleagues were in iso to use it down. He wouldn't be able to easier dismiss it again.

Just on that, it was interesting that the LibSAedia twitter account was tweeting a meeting between Rann, Malanouskios and one other that morning when Rann found out he was a close contact. Actually the tweet came before, I don't normally get into conspiracies but it was a strange tweet from LibSAmedia to tweet that at all. Just had to be the morning when Rann was found to be a close contact.

Anyway, bad to the point at hand, cant see parliament being recalled for that reason. Marshall doesn't have the numbers on the floor. Would be a terrible move.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby DOC » Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:49 am

Rann or Weatherall?
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 724 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Spargo » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:09 am

DOC wrote:Rann or Weatherall?

I think he meant Weatherall.
Rann was a close contact to Chantelois…
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5459 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:47 am

Spargo wrote:

:lol:
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby stan » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:17 am

Spargo wrote:

Ahh yes sorry wrong former leader lol.
stan
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:48 pm

Deputy Premier had a good day...

Young Liberals go for a morning run with Malinauskas and complain he calls them girls for not keeping up :lol:

All going well for Team Blue
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby shoe boy » Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:47 am

SA Deputy Premier Liberal Dan van Holst Pellekaan :shock:

Anyone seen that Grub Vicky Chapman?
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby stan » Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:33 pm

shoe boy wrote:SA Deputy Premier Liberal Dan van Holst Pellekaan :shock:

Anyone seen that Grub Vicky Chapman?
It's like there trying to stuff this up.
stan
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:26 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Anyone see anything in the budget that was noteworthy?
Happy with the spend on Health and roads but feel the stadium will be a white elephant

Agree. Their achilles heel is transforming Transforming Health which was an unmitigated disaster
Picton complaining is laughable

In FY20 with the current government in power, there were:
85,616 FTE employees <FY21 86,859>
43.52% or 37,260 were police, doctors, nurses and teachers <44.71% or 38,835>
30.24% or 25,890 were in other frontline or direct support roles, including fire fighters, ambulance officers, allied health professionals (such as physiotherapists and radiographers), school services officers, and disability workers <28.75% or 24,972>

In FY17 when Labor were last in power for a full year, there were:
83,006 FTE employees
42% or 34,863 were police, doctors, nurses and teachers
31% or 25,732 were in other frontline or direct support roles, including fire fighters, ambulance officers, allied health professionals (such as physiotherapists and radiographers), school services officers, and disability workers

So the current government have more PS FTE and a higher percentage & FTE in the frontline and a lower percentage & but higher FTE in the direct support roles

SA Ambulance Service
2017: 1,349
2018: 1,500 (I might add the new Liberal Govt came in in March 2018 and immediately started increasing the numbers so its misleading in June)
2019: 1,589
2020: 1,644

2021: 1,669

>320 more in 2021 than 2017 when Labor were in government for a full year

https://www.publicsector.sa.gov.au/about/Our-Work/Reporting/Workforce-Information

Amazing that people can forget Transforming Health so easily.
There are more front line medical staff and ambos than 4 years ago yet the unions have cranked up the political war.
Updated number in RED and some corrections in that post in blue
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Psyber » Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:13 pm

I was still working in the public medical system in SA back in the mid-1970s and had originally intended to stay in the public system. I was leading a medical team at the time, but got frustrated with clerical administrators trying to dictate which medications we should prescribe for patients based entirely on cost savings rather than suitability for the patient and their illness.

So, in the end I walked out into private practice. By about 1984 it was clear that the Bannon government was cutting down staff and closing beds and looking at selling off hospital land. Protest stalled that, but it continued later, and that got us to where we are now.

Basically, we need beds so people don't need to be kept in the ED until they are safe for discharge. That means we need nurses to operate the wards. Once we have those beds and nurses ambulance ramping will stop. In fact when I worked at the RAH early in my career ambulance ramping did not happen, because it was possible to clear the ED department to make room for new arrivals. Moving Nurse training out of the public hospitals to the education system looked like a good idea back then but those trainee nurses working under the supervision of experienced staff kept the cost of keeping beds open down.

The selling off of hospital land was stalled for a while but it proceeded under the more recent ALP state governments.

Basically, a false idea of economising and saving money ruled, but in the end it made keeping beds open more costly and lead us to where we are now.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby stan » Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:56 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Anyone see anything in the budget that was noteworthy?
Happy with the spend on Health and roads but feel the stadium will be a white elephant

Agree. Their achilles heel is transforming Transforming Health which was an unmitigated disaster
Picton complaining is laughable

In FY20 with the current government in power, there were:
85,616 FTE employees <FY21 86,859>
43.52% or 37,260 were police, doctors, nurses and teachers <44.71% or 38,835>
30.24% or 25,890 were in other frontline or direct support roles, including fire fighters, ambulance officers, allied health professionals (such as physiotherapists and radiographers), school services officers, and disability workers <28.75% or 24,972>

In FY17 when Labor were last in power for a full year, there were:
83,006 FTE employees
42% or 34,863 were police, doctors, nurses and teachers
31% or 25,732 were in other frontline or direct support roles, including fire fighters, ambulance officers, allied health professionals (such as physiotherapists and radiographers), school services officers, and disability workers

So the current government have more PS FTE and a higher percentage & FTE in the frontline and a lower percentage & but higher FTE in the direct support roles

SA Ambulance Service
2017: 1,349
2018: 1,500 (I might add the new Liberal Govt came in in March 2018 and immediately started increasing the numbers so its misleading in June)
2019: 1,589
2020: 1,644

2021: 1,669

>320 more in 2021 than 2017 when Labor were in government for a full year

https://www.publicsector.sa.gov.au/about/Our-Work/Reporting/Workforce-Information

Amazing that people can forget Transforming Health so easily.
There are more front line medical staff and ambos than 4 years ago yet the unions have cranked up the political war.
Updated number in RED and some corrections in that post in blue
Very true, terrible health system Allround.

We really have a choice between shit and shit.
stan
Coach

Postby stan » Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:57 am

Psyber wrote:I was still working in the public medical system in SA back in the mid-1970s and had originally intended to stay in the public system. I was leading a medical team at the time, but got frustrated with clerical administrators trying to dictate which medications we should prescribe for patients based entirely on cost savings rather than suitability for the patient and their illness.

So, in the end I walked out into private practice. By about 1984 it was clear that the Bannon government was cutting down staff and closing beds and looking at selling off hospital land. Protest stalled that, but it continued later, and that got us to where we are now.

Basically, we need beds so people don't need to be kept in the ED until they are safe for discharge. That means we need nurses to operate the wards. Once we have those beds and nurses ambulance ramping will stop. In fact when I worked at the RAH early in my career ambulance ramping did not happen, because it was possible to clear the ED department to make room for new arrivals. Moving Nurse training out of the public hospitals to the education system looked like a good idea back then but those trainee nurses working under the supervision of experienced staff kept the cost of keeping beds open down.

The selling off of hospital land was stalled for a while but it proceeded under the more recent ALP state governments.

Basically, a false idea of economising and saving money ruled, but in the end it made keeping beds open more costly and lead us to where we are now.
Everything always gets in trouble when the accounts start making decisions.
stan
Coach

Postby rd » Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:58 pm

Is the Liberal candidate for Kaurna a real person?

The letterbox drop says her name is Sarika Sharma.

Her Facebook Liberal Party profile says her name is Sairka Sharma.

Someone can't spell.

There is no personal info on her at all.

Just the one profile pic.

In 2018 she was the Liberal candidate for Taylor in the northern suburbs and she got slaughtered by Jon Gee (ALP) and now she's in the southern suburbs about to get slaughtered by Chris Picton this coming Saturday.

Who knows what area she resides in....

Same profile pic from 2018 is being used again for 2022 although she would be 4 years older.

Very lazy by the Liberal Party - disrespecting the Liberal voters who happen to live in Kaurna and want to know something about their candidate - not one stobie pole corflute to be seen for her anywhere...
rd
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 26 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:00 pm

The Marshall ad is very bland.

I don't mind the tactic from the Libs by having all the policies released prior to this week.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby RB » Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:30 pm

rd wrote:Is the Liberal candidate for Kaurna a real person?

Someone can't spell.

In 2018 she was the Liberal candidate for Taylor in the northern suburbs and she got slaughtered by Jon Gee (ALP) and now she's in the southern suburbs about to get slaughtered by Chris Picton this coming Saturday.

Same profile pic from 2018 is being used again for 2022 although she would be 4 years older.

Very lazy by the Liberal Party - disrespecting the Liberal voters who happen to live in Kaurna and want to know something about their candidate - not one stobie pole corflute to be seen for her anywhere...
In fairness, both major parties tend not to spend too much in the way of resources on seats they're no chance at winning.

Often the person running is doing the party a favour.

Then again, I agree that you shouldn't really be nominating if you're not going to make at least some effort to tell the electorate who you are and what you stand for.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby cracka » Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:25 pm

RB wrote:

Someone can't spell.

In fairness, both major parties tend not to spend too much in the way of resources on seats they're no chance at winning.

Then again, I agree that you shouldn't really be nominating if you're not going to make at least some effort to tell the electorate who you are and what you stand for.

Don't they also get paid an amount per vote they get or is that just federally
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby heater31 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:45 pm

RB wrote:

Someone can't spell.

Yep the liberal candidate in my safe Labor electorate only put his corflutes up last week.

I see thehe Kouta is up against the same liberal opponent as last election.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby RB » Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:57 pm

cracka wrote:
RB wrote:

Someone can't spell.

Don't they also get paid an amount per vote they get or is that just federally
The party does, yes.

This, and the fact that they want people to vote for their upper house candidates is I think why the two major parties always run candidates everywhere.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby stan » Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:31 am

I have noted in the seat of Torrens that the Libs have put up a young lady Ursula Henderson in against Dana Wortley who has held the seat since 2014.

I early voted today, which I recommend, and ran into Ursula, she tried to give me the spill that the basketball stadium isn't actually costing that much extra and then $$$ here and $$$ here meant something else.

All I said was that I wished her well and that BS spin isn't going to work, I said to her to keep as far away from that basketball stadium as you can and talk about your local election promises.

I can't see her defeating Wortley at the moment she'd need a large general swing for that to happen and it's going to be tight.
stan
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics