Carbon Tax final price?

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Carbon Tax final price?

Postby Sojourner » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:11 pm

Its being mentioned over and over on the Anti Carbon Tax ad that Australia will have the highest Carbon Tax price per tonne in the world, I know New Zealand is less than half, but is that true that we will have the highest price? Why? Why not have the same scheme as NZ to get it started?
Steamranger, South Australia's best ever Tourist Attraction, Treat Yourself, Let your Money Buy you Happiness!!!
Sojourner
Veteran

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Re: Carbon Tax final price?

Postby Q. » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:18 pm

Because they're going overboard with the compensation.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby CENTURION » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:38 pm

because we're a nation full of easy-going suckers.
Member No. 988 & PROUD to sponsor The CDFC!!
CENTURION
Coach

Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 112 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby fish » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:48 pm

Sojourner wrote:Its being mentioned over and over on the Anti Carbon Tax ad that Australia will have the highest Carbon Tax price per tonne in the world, I know New Zealand is less than half, but is that true that we will have the highest price? Why? Why not have the same scheme as NZ to get it started?
Australia has higher carbon dioxide emissions per person than virtually every other country in the world - higher than NZ, China, the US, India and well above the world average. We emit more than our fair share of the stuff!

Here is a list of carbon dioxide emissions per capita 1990 to 2008.
fish
Coach

Has liked: 185 times
Been liked: 48 times

Postby Sojourner » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:43 pm

Again why not then pay the same price as New Zealand per Tonne if its charged out by the Tonne of emission? More Tonnes of Carbon, then more taxation applies, having a high price per tonne only penalises those who do cut there emmissions as their costs are still higher than companies in other western nations that pay a lesser tax.
Steamranger, South Australia's best ever Tourist Attraction, Treat Yourself, Let your Money Buy you Happiness!!!
Sojourner
Veteran

Postby straight talker » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:19 pm

Sojourner wrote:Again why not then pay the same price as New Zealand per Tonne if its charged out by the Tonne of emission? More Tonnes of Carbon, then more taxation applies, having a high price per tonne only penalises those who do cut there emmissions as their costs are still higher than companies in other western nations that pay a lesser tax.

wasting your time arguing or debating these gillard labor loving people as they can see know wrong in anything they do.
straight talker

Postby fish » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:26 pm

Sojourner wrote:Again why not then pay the same price as New Zealand per Tonne if its charged out by the Tonne of emission? More Tonnes of Carbon, then more taxation applies, having a high price per tonne only penalises those who do cut there emmissions as their costs are still higher than companies in other western nations that pay a lesser tax.
Based on the 2008 figures I posted, Australias per-capita carbon dioxide emissions (18.9 tonnes per person) are more than twice as high as New Zealands (7.8 tonnes per person).

In general terms, this means we have to work harder to get our emissions down to a sustainable global level.

I'd suggest that the carbon price would depend on the emissions reduction target, on what is and isn't included in the scheme, and also on the nature of the economy. Also, in a floating-carbon-price scheme (which we will eventually have) the price is essentially set by the market and may fluctuate.
fish
Coach

Postby Psyber » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:47 am

fish wrote:
Based on the 2008 figures I posted, Australias per-capita carbon dioxide emissions (18.9 tonnes per person) are more than twice as high as New Zealands (7.8 tonnes per person).

In general terms, this means we have to work harder to get our emissions down to a sustainable global level.

I'd suggest that the carbon price would depend on the emissions reduction target, on what is and isn't included in the scheme, and also on the nature of the economy.
Also, in a floating-carbon-price scheme (which we will eventually have) the price is essentially set by the market and may fluctuate.

I expect it will fluctuate as wildly as the stock market once the futures traders and short sellers move in...
We should be focusing any "carbon price" on the industries that pollute, not the end-user, and using it to support them when they actually make the change to reliable low carbon energy sources.
Just trading credits will change nothing.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby cripple » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:02 am

So if New Zealand already have a carbon tax, does that mean we get to stop watching those painful ad's stating "no one else has a carbon tax, why should we?" That would be the best thing for everyone.
cripple
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby straight talker » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:58 pm

cripple wrote:So if New Zealand already have a carbon tax, does that mean we get to stop watching those painful ad's stating "no one else has a carbon tax, why should we?" That would be the best thing for everyone.

I think the question we should be asking is: How are the economies of the countries/states that have introduced a carbon tax gone since it was introduced? What has the introduction of a carbon tax done to bring levels down?
How many jobs have been gained or lost since the introduction of the carbon tax?
straight talker

Postby fish » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:32 pm

Psyber wrote:Just trading credits will change nothing.
Wrong Psyber. With a decreasing number of "credits" available each year, emissions will decrease no matter how when or at what price the credits are traded.
fish
Coach

Postby Bully » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:56 am

as much as i dont want this tax by the end of next week its said it will have passed through the senant and will start on 1st july next year (unless theres an election) and abbott wins
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Postby straight talker » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:31 pm

straight talker wrote:
cripple wrote:So if New Zealand already have a carbon tax, does that mean we get to stop watching those painful ad's stating "no one else has a carbon tax, why should we?" That would be the best thing for everyone.

I think the question we should be asking is: How are the economies of the countries/states that have introduced a carbon tax gone since it was introduced? What has the introduction of a carbon tax done to bring levels down?
How many jobs have been gained or lost since the introduction of the carbon tax?

no answers fish or gozo?
straight talker

Postby Sojourner » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:13 am

I suspect you are alluding to the GFC and its impact on countries that have a Carbon Tax, my thoughts are that a number of those nations were likely already stuffed before the tax, but I would have to say that it probably hasnt helped matters, yet not knowing the actual legislation and how the costs are taken its difficult to say.

What I would say though is that in terms of foreign debt, New Zealand look like they are well and truly beholden, there was an article on Sky News recently which stated that thier Credit Rating had been dropped further because thier GDP debt was a whopping amount over 70% and they are going to struggle to repay the debt. It would be interesting to see how their Carbon Tax has affected that situation and their capacity to repay the loans, considering the amount of manufacturing being moved out of NZ it could prove to be a problem if its found that the Carbon Tax is influencing companies to make the move into Asia at the expense of local jobs.
Sojourner
Veteran

Postby Bully » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:43 pm

straight talker wrote:
straight talker wrote:

no answers fish or gozo?

just extra money for their respective governments.
This tax is going through and i cant wait until julia calls an election in the coming months because we will see the end of this stupid idea!!
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Postby Sky Pilot » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:34 pm

Bully wrote:
straight talker wrote:
straight talker wrote:

no answers fish or gozo?

just extra money for their respective governments.
This tax is going through and i cant wait until julia calls an election in the coming months because we will see the end of this stupid idea!!

thats about right too 8)
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby best on hill » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:50 am

im just watching the news on ABC 24 and the carbon tax has been passed through the lower house!

whether you are from the left or the right your thoughts!
COWELL FOOTBALL CLUB est.1901
premiers 1902,04,07,22,24,26,27,28,31,32,34,37,38,39,46,50,52,53,54,55,58,59,69(cowell north),96,99,2006,07,09
oldest club on E.P.!
best on hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Cowell

Postby Q. » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:04 pm

best on hill wrote:im just watching the news on ABC 24 and the carbon tax has been passed through the lower house!

Put on your helmets, the sky is about to fall in...
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:07 pm

fish wrote:
Sojourner wrote:Its being mentioned over and over on the Anti Carbon Tax ad that Australia will have the highest Carbon Tax price per tonne in the world, I know New Zealand is less than half, but is that true that we will have the highest price? Why? Why not have the same scheme as NZ to get it started?
Australia has higher carbon dioxide emissions per person than virtually every other country in the world - higher than NZ, China, the US, India and well above the world average. We emit more than our fair share of the stuff!

Here is a list of carbon dioxide emissions per capita 1990 to 2008.

I prefer this chart

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_greenhouse_gas_emissions

The top 10 countries are responsible for over 70% of the emissions - what are they doing about it?
If we were to reduce our emissions by 10%, we would equal just under 3 days in a Chinese world.
Does this put things in perspective instead of the political propaganda of using per capita because we have a very low population?
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 730 times
Been liked: 1092 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:08 pm

Quichey wrote:
best on hill wrote:im just watching the news on ABC 24 and the carbon tax has been passed through the lower house!

Put on your helmets, the Upper House is about to crash the party...
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 730 times
Been liked: 1092 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Next

Board index   General Talk  Politics