US Politics

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

US Politics

Postby redandblack » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:34 am

I thought a thread for discussion of the US scene might be useful.

Overnight Rick Perry had a total meltdown in the Republican candidates debate, not being able to remember which Government Departments he would abolish.

What was lost in the farce was that one of the departments he would abolish was Education!

What has happened to the Republican Party and why do they currently produce so many candidates who are so far off the planet? Perry, Bachmann, Palin, Trump, etc, etc.

I hope the Tea Party influence wanes and the GOP can become credible.

At this stage, Mitt Romney looks like walking it in because he seems one of the few who aren't mad.

With 50 million people below the poverty line, most of them think the way out is to tax the poor and middle-class more and give the rich massive tax cuts.
redandblack

Re: US Politics

Postby Sojourner » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:42 am

Perhaps Obama will simply win it R&B? :?

I thought Cain was the favourite? Seems that to be in the running you have to be a Governer, as Perry was of Texas. They wont let Arnold apply because he was not born in the US.

What I find interesting about the TEA party is that they are calling for lowering of Taxes for all people - T.E.A Taxed Enough Already. Living in South Australia - the highest taxing State in Australia I have to have some empathy for them! At what point does enough become enough, constant arrogance of Governments towards the working poor created this group IMO. Alot of similar frustrations seem to be being expressed by the OCCUPY group also!
Steamranger, South Australia's best ever Tourist Attraction, Treat Yourself, Let your Money Buy you Happiness!!!
Sojourner
Veteran

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby redandblack » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:03 am

If Obama wins it will be by default to a large extent, Soj?

I think the Tea Party are also about making government smaller, but to the extent that it almost disappears, which sounds OK in theory, but is unworkable.

I obviously have sympathy for the Occupy movement, as I'm in favour of reward for effort, but also think we have an obligation to all, regardless of circumstances.

I've travelled extensively in the US and love it, but I find many of their social policies extreme, but that's America.

It's a different place.
redandblack

Postby fish » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:43 pm

I have been watching the odds for which party - Republican or Democrat - would win the next presidency and it was neck and neck until today.

After Perry's gaffe the Democrats (ie Obama) have firmed but it's still pretty close:

DEMOCRATIC PARTY $1.83
REPUBLICAN PARTY $1.95
fish
Coach

Has liked: 185 times
Been liked: 48 times

Postby redandblack » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:04 pm

There's a fair case to be made that the Republican Party has lost the plot.

Now Hermann Cain has had a total brain fade, not having a clue about the politics surrounding Liba. Add that to his alleged predeliction for groping women, you'd think he is now history.

The only reasonable candidates left seem to be Romney, Huntsman(?) and Paul, but the latter two are thought to be too far to the left, as they don't support cutting taxes for millionaires and raising taxes for everone else.

Surely in a country of nearly 300 million, they could find someone half reasonable?
redandblack

Postby Psyber » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:49 am

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone "half reasonable" would be acceptable to the majority of US voters.
In this case I'd like to see Obama stay mainly because the alternatives appear to be genuinely appalling.

The only two US Presidents I ever felt positive about were FDR and Jimmy Carter.
I did have some grudging respect for some of Bill Clinton's efforts, despite his personality deficits in other areas.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Sky Pilot » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:33 pm

Rick Santorum is an outstanding candidate but lacks the financial grunt. Mit Romney is hamstrung by his fundamental christian BS but he has the budget to smooth out the peaks and valleys in his campaign. Newt Gingrinch is seriously qualified but as we will find out in the next 36 hours he has too much baggage. The left wing media is building a massive attack on him and he will flounder. Hermann Cain should stick to selling pizza and groping women. Ron Paul is about as loopy as Bob Brown is here - count him out. Michelle Bachmann doesn't fit the image American's want to see. Watching a chick descend the stairs of Airforce 1 is not redneck heaven for the great unwashed. Obama is charismatic but deeply out of touch. Clueless on economics, banking, manufacturing and labour relations.
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:40 pm

Ron Paul is a very smart man. He concedes the war on drugs is lost, and it's time to look at other options like legalization.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby Bat Pad » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:46 pm

The Sleeping Giant wrote:Ron Paul is a very smart man. He concedes the war on drugs is lost, and it's time to look at other options like legalization.

Don't have to be a very smart man to realise that (not to say that he isn't)
Bat Pad
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time

Postby Sky Pilot » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:47 pm

The Sleeping Giant wrote:Ron Paul is a very smart man. He concedes the war on drugs is lost, and it's time to look at other options like legalization.

He's just old and decrepit. Shakes a lot and waves his arthritic fingers around like they are attached to his hand by bandaids. His ideas are simplistic and un-achievable hence my comparison to Brown's Green's out here
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Postby redandblack » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:53 pm

Obama seems like Solomon compared to the rabble lining up to be POTUS on the Republican side (with only 1 or 2 exceptions).

It's not the 'left-wing media' that will destroy Newt Gingrich, it's Newt Gingrich's own actions.

We'll just have to see who Fox News endorses.
redandblack

Postby Sky Pilot » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:59 pm

I'm not Gingrich fan - he's 68 and should just be out playing golf. Politics is a young man's (person's) domain
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:09 am

Bat Pad wrote:

Haven't heard any other politician admit it though. Shall
I add courageous and honest?
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:12 am

Sky Pilot wrote:

He's just old and decrepit. Shakes a lot and waves his arthritic fingers around like they are attached to his hand by bandaids. His ideas are simplistic and un-achievable hence my comparison to Brown's Green's out here

Sorry. Didn't realise ideas and thoughts had to be complicated to be good ones. :roll:
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Postby Bat Pad » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:00 am

The Sleeping Giant wrote:
Bat Pad wrote:

Haven't heard any other politician admit it though. Shall
I add courageous and honest?

Yeah
Bat Pad
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time

Postby Sky Pilot » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:44 pm

Sky Pilot wrote:

Sorry. Didn't realise ideas and thoughts had to be complicated to be good ones. :roll:

Oh okay...his ideas are impractical and un-achievable.
sound better?
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Postby Leaping Lindner » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:26 pm

Sky Pilot wrote:Rick Santorum is an outstanding candidate but lacks the financial grunt. Mit Romney is hamstrung by his fundamental christian BS but he has the budget to smooth out the peaks and valleys in his campaign. Newt Gingrinch is seriously qualified but as we will find out in the next 36 hours he has too much baggage. The left wing media is building a massive attack on him and he will flounder. Hermann Cain should stick to selling pizza and groping women. Ron Paul is about as loopy as Bob Brown is here - count him out. Michelle Bachmann doesn't fit the image American's want to see. Watching a chick descend the stairs of Airforce 1 is not redneck heaven for the great unwashed. Obama is charismatic but deeply out of touch. Clueless on economics, banking, manufacturing and labour relations.

The same Rick Santorum that compared gay sex with child molestation, incest, and bestiality ?
The same Rick Santorum that said " I believe the existence of homosexuals undermines the basic tenants of society and the family.” ?

In the words of US comedian Lewis Black "Rick Santorum should be “should be electro-shocked for his own good." :twisted:
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 47 times

Re: Re: US Politics

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:44 pm

Sky Pilot wrote:
Sky Pilot wrote:

Oh okay...his ideas are impractical and un-achievable.
sound better?

Why would legalizing some drugs be impractical and un-achievable, when the war on drugs is costing a fortune, and totally un-winnable?
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Postby redandblack » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:52 pm

Fair question.
redandblack

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:13 pm

Out of all the Republican candidates, Ron Paul is the only one that doesn't scare the bejesus out of me.
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Next

Board index   General Talk  Politics