IS the NBN really the goods?

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: IS the NBN really the goods?

Postby mick » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:24 am

dedja wrote:Structural separation of Telstra a step closer ... 8)

This should have been done when Telstra was first floated, a move in the right direction.
mick
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby dedja » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:36 pm

mick wrote:
dedja wrote:Structural separation of Telstra a step closer ... 8)

This should have been done when Telstra was first floated, a move in the right direction.

Well it's going to happen now ... has been passed by the Senate and will be ratified by the House of Reps.

Telstra's monopoly will finally be buried.
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 1024 times

Postby Psyber » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:13 am

dedja wrote: Well it's going to happen now ... has been passed by the Senate and will be ratified by the House of Reps.
Telstra's monopoly will finally be buried.
I'm glad it got through - their monopoly position was always a mistake.
Howard acted on Keating's plan for the Telstra float, and the separation of function should have been in the plan.
I'd have liked to see the government retain some control of the infrastructure section right from the start.
[ And I say that as a Liberal Party member and a Telstra shareholder.]
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Psyber » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:17 pm

This was forwarded to me, quite clearly from a Liberal Party source, and I haven't verified what it says about the report independently, but it does raise questions.
The wireless internet threat to NBN..

A report commissioned by Federal Labor and released this week warned wireless internet technologies are a threat to the NBN as Labor tried to bolster the Network’s business case.
In announcing that NBN Co would acquire wireless airtime from Pay TV operator, Austar,
Labor conceded it erred in cancelling a Coalition policy which sought to purchase the same rights, at half the price, three years ago.

If Labor had maintained the Coalition’s broadband policy, rural Australians would already have high speed internet access today.
Instead, Labor’s arrogance and incompetence has delivered a less efficient market and greater costs to the Australian taxpayer.

The Empire strikes back?
Telstra have recently announced a high speed wireless broadband technology that may, as they claimed in a TV promotion, outperform and compete with the NBN.
http://www.telstra.com.au/abouttelstra/ ... d-2011.xml
Psyber
Coach

Postby redandblack » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:41 pm

I would never have guessed that was from a Liberal Party source, Psyber ;)

I'm surprised The Australian, which runs at least one anti-NBN story almost every day, has somehow missed the very positive story lauding the NBN from the boss of Google.

Strange.
redandblack

Postby Psyber » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:02 pm

redandblack wrote:I would never have guessed that was from a Liberal Party source, Psyber ;)
I'm surprised The Australian, which runs at least one anti-NBN story almost every day, has somehow missed the very positive story lauding the NBN from the boss of Google.
Strange.
Yes, obviously, that's why I said so - I didn't want to have it suggested I was passing it off as anything else. :lol:
Do you know if there is any truth to the bit about it being in the commissioned report? [ I've seen no information from any other source.]
A report commissioned by Federal Labor and released this week warned wireless internet technologies are a threat to the NBN as Labor tried to bolster the Network’s business case.
Psyber
Coach

Postby Interceptor » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:31 pm

redandblack wrote:I'm surprised The Australian, which runs at least one anti-NBN story almost every day, has somehow missed the very positive story lauding the NBN from the boss of Google.

Strange.

Not at all, ask any internet company boss and the answers will invariably by positive -after all the NBN is a tech-nerd's wet dream and they don't care about the cost. So those stories are hardly going to offer anything new most of the time.

As for "at least one anti-NBN story almost every day": should the most expensive infrastructure project in Australia's history proceed a) without scrutiny b) only moderate scrutiny or c) heavy scrutiny?

The answer is obvious to anyone who gives the slightest damn about how it proceeds.
The government's reluctance for transparency makes underlines that approach.
Interceptor
League - Top 5

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby Q. » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:48 pm

It's no secret that there are certain stakeholders who have a lot to lose with the introduction of the NBN. Read the Caliburn Report yourselves and form an opinion, rather than be influenced by media outlets with hidden agendas.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Psyber » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:05 pm

http://au.news.yahoo.com/latest/a/-/lat ... 0-a-month/
That would be acceptable if the $59.95/month includes VOIP and phone services as does my present deal with Internode at that price.
If it doesn't I'd give it a miss as it offers me only 12 Mbps compared with the 6.4 Mbps I average now.
I have never used more than 6 GB of downloads in a month, so offering me 30GB on the base plan is worth nothing to me..

Overall, not much of an improvement for all that money outlaid from my point of view.
Also, not much gain for the "regional" people who "could have to pay more to connect to the network".
The average "regional" worker is likely to be one of those least able to afford to connect anyway.

Perhaps it will be good for "city-slicker" and "townie" high downloading families..
Psyber
Coach

Previous

Board index   General Talk  Politics