Whither/wither Abbott

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: Whither/wither Abbott

Postby Cambridge Clarrie » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:54 pm

His reaction was a little spooky, but for it to disqualify him from ever being PM... :roll:

You've been smoking some weird shit R&B...
"They do say, Mrs M, that verbal insults hurt more than physical pain. They are, of course, wrong, as you will soon discover when I stick this toasting fork into your head"
Cambridge Clarrie
League - Best 21

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 31 times

Postby redandblack » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:28 pm

Cambridge Clarrie wrote:His reaction was a little spooky, but for it to disqualify him from ever being PM... :roll:

You've been smoking some weird **** R&B...

Shit happens, CC ;)

What I said is a judgement call, of course. There have been doubts about Tony's judgement and reactions throughout his career. What this does is underline those doubts to those who have been unsure about him.

I'm biased, but I thought his judgement and actions after the election regarding the independents was deplorable and didn't fill anyone with confidence. Whatever the circumstances in this case, his judgement, IMO, was again highly debatable. Whatever he might say now, his reaction in the intervoiew was very suspect, to say the least.

When it comes to the crunch, I think many people will decide they don't have confidence in him to do the top job.

That's just my political analysis only and I respect the opposite opinion.
redandblack

Postby fish » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:49 pm

IMHO I thought the "sh$% happens" comment was pretty harmless in itself.

But his inability to provide an answer to the subsequent question just made him look like a fool.
fish
Coach

Has liked: 185 times
Been liked: 48 times

Postby dedja » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:32 pm

fish wrote:IMHO I thought the "sh$% happens" comment was pretty harmless in itself.

But his inability to provide an answer to the subsequent question just confirms that he's a fool.

edited for accuracy ...
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 222 times
Been liked: 1043 times

Postby oldfella » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:55 pm

I have a small military background and have no problems with his comment.

I do have problems with the tool (shadow minister) that went in to defend him and claimed he was ambushed - nice try but I will find it hard to believe you in the future tool.
oldfella
Under 16s

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby Darth Vader » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:42 pm

oldfella wrote:I have a small military background and have no problems with his comment.

I do have problems with the tool (shadow minister) that went in to defend him and claimed he was ambushed - nice try but I will find it hard to believe you in the future tool.

Do you have any problem with Gillards crocodile tears in the House of Reps when she delivered her well rehearsed speech on the Queensland floods? I believe the scenario was written by a policy advisor, approved by her inner sanctum and she was clearly coached by a drama teacher. Got a 100% approval by the party and scored a big fat zero with the rest of us.
Caution! You are now entering the no-spin zone...
Darth Vader
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Solomontown

Postby cripple » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:03 pm

Darth Vader wrote:
oldfella wrote:I have a small military background and have no problems with his comment.

Do you have any problem with Gillards crocodile tears in the House of Reps when she delivered her well rehearsed speech on the Queensland floods? I believe the scenario was written by a policy advisor, approved by her inner sanctum and she was clearly coached by a drama teacher. Got a 100% approval by the party and scored a big fat zero with the rest of us.

Speech might have been written by someone else, but it is pretty hard to fake emotion. I dare say jules personal experience from seeing the floods first hand would have given her plenty of natural emotion towards the subject.

The way you view both of these cases with Abbott and Gillard are almost entirely dependent on the way your political wang swings. I still think Abbott is a dick and should not be allowed to lead a pack of dogs let alone a country, whilst Gillard does a better job but still leaves plenty to be desired.
cripple
League Bench Warmer

Postby Darth Vader » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:18 pm

cripple wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:

Speech might have been written by someone else, but it is pretty hard to fake emotion. I dare say jules personal experience from seeing the floods first hand would have given her plenty of natural emotion towards the subject.

The way you view both of these cases with Abbott and Gillard are almost entirely dependent on the way your political wang swings. I still think Abbott is a dick and should not be allowed to lead a pack of dogs let alone a country, whilst Gillard does a better job but still leaves plenty to be desired.

And that's the best thing about being an Australian - we have the freedom to say this stuff. You don't like Abbott I don't like Gillard. Frankly neither of them are IMO outstanding leaders
Darth Vader
Under 18s

Postby oldfella » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:41 pm

Darth - try not to turn everything into a liberal-labor crusade in an attempt to divert.

This is important as it is a question of disrespect for soldiers who died - in this case as I said before I have no problems with what he said - for that matter I have no real problems with the stonewall but do have problems when an associate tries to twist the truth (straight lie) to muddy the water
oldfella
Under 16s

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby Darth Vader » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:49 pm

oldfella wrote:Darth - try not to turn everything into a liberal-labor crusade in an attempt to divert.

This is important as it is a question of disrespect for soldiers who died - in this case as I said before I have no problems with what he said - for that matter I have no real problems with the stonewall but do have problems when an associate tries to twist the truth (straight lie) to muddy the water

I din't see it that way. I saw a guy coming to the aid of his leader who was seriously ambushed by a dickbrained tv journalist trying to grab ratings at the expense of a fallen soldier. The whole incident was awful. Abbott - like any reasonable person - was infuriated and simply lost his way.
Darth Vader
Under 18s

Postby cripple » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:53 pm

Darth Vader wrote:
oldfella wrote:Darth - try not to turn everything into a liberal-labor crusade in an attempt to divert.

I din't see it that way. I saw a guy coming to the aid of his leader who was seriously ambushed by a dickbrained tv journalist trying to grab ratings at the expense of a fallen soldier. The whole incident was awful. Abbott - like any reasonable person - was infuriated and simply lost his way.

Fairly common knowledge by now that he wasn't ambushed, his office had been given notice hours before hand of what was coming. If he cant think quickly and rationally in a situation like that, how is he meant to do so when meeting with other world leaders and managing our future as a country. Would hate him to not know what to say when given a curly one by the yanks, poms or chinese.
cripple
League Bench Warmer

Postby Darth Vader » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:57 pm

yeah okay you win
Darth Vader
Under 18s

Postby fish » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:11 pm

cripple wrote:Would hate him to not know what to say when given a curly one by the yanks, poms or chinese.
Journalist: Tony, what's your analysis of the recent events in Egypt and the wider ramifications for the Middle East?
Tony: <silence>
fish
Coach

Has liked: 185 times
Been liked: 48 times

Postby Darth Vader » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:16 pm

Journalist: Julia what do you think about pink bats and the billions wasted and lives lost.
Ju;lia: Midnight Oil is my favourite band
Darth Vader
Under 18s

Postby Strawb » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:32 pm

According to my 4 year old son Tony Abbott is a Douchebag
I am the Voice Left From Drinking
Strawb
Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Wingfield Royals

Postby Squawk » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:13 am

All this analysis over 20 seconds of silence.

No analysis of the fact the footage was filmed in October; it was of what appeared to be a conversation being held in private; and no one present complained at the time or in the 4 months since. It wasn't even Channel 7 footage - it was FOI footage. And it wasn't like Abbott was being flippant at the time he said it - it almost came across as reflective of the reality of war.

The silence wasn't good but I suspect it was better than a fit of rage.
Steve Bradbury and Michael Milton. Aussie Legends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnztSjUB2U
Squawk
Assistant Coach

Been liked: 3 times

Postby dedja » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:56 am

All this over a media spin merchant who hadn't rehearsed a reply even when given enough notice and who looked like a rabbit caught in a headlight ... from the supposed alternative Prime Minister.

The poor soul can't take his own medicine ... happy to give it out in spades but when the fire is returned, well ....

Yeah, you're right, can't understand all the commotion ... :lol:
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 222 times
Been liked: 1043 times

Postby redandblack » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:33 am

Squawk wrote:All this analysis over 20 seconds of silence.

No analysis of the fact the footage was filmed in October; it was of what appeared to be a conversation being held in private; and no one present complained at the time or in the 4 months since. It wasn't even Channel 7 footage - it was FOI footage. And it wasn't like Abbott was being flippant at the time he said it - it almost came across as reflective of the reality of war.

The silence wasn't good but I suspect it was better than a fit of rage.

Squark, I don't think anyone here has condemned Tony for his 'shit happens' comments. I certainly don't as it seemed a normal sort of thing to say in those circumstances.

His silence, though, is another matter. He had 2 hours warning of the question and still wasn't prepared. He could have given any response, but didn't. His non-response was totally bizarre.

What was rarely reported in the election campaign was the number of times he abruptly cut press conferences short when confronted by a difficult question. His response was to just walk out.

His judgement after the campaign was equally poor. He tried to bully the independents first, threw money at Wilkie without a thought, THEN CLAIMED HE'D BEEN AMBUSHED, or words to that effect. In the program about the independents decision, he again looked panicked and was running around like a rabbit in a spotlight.

None of that engenders any confidence in him, hence my comment about his electability.
redandblack

Postby Darth Vader » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:21 am

Strawb wrote:According to my 4 year old son Tony Abbott is a Douchebag

Geez I find this comment really disturbing on two levels.
Firstly brain-washing the mind of a four year old to ensure the guaranteed continuation of the politial bias of the parents
Secondly that your four year old would even be familiar with such a term as douchebag
Darth Vader
Under 18s

Postby cripple » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:41 am

Darth Vader wrote:
Strawb wrote:According to my 4 year old son Tony Abbott is a Douchebag

Geez I find this comment really disturbing on two levels.
Firstly brain-washing the mind of a four year old to ensure the guaranteed continuation of the politial bias of the parents
Secondly that your four year old would even be familiar with such a term as douchebag

Interesting point you make here. I know from the one politics course i did at uni, that something close to 70% of children will follow their parents voting behavior due to a range of factors. It is a major part of the reason that electorates such as Port Adelaide, Mayo, Sturt will always stay in the same party unless there is major community dislike around election time.
cripple
League Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics