Worst PM ever?

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: Worst PM ever?

Postby Sky Pilot » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:03 pm

Keating was a recognised failure, Hawke was an unfaithful shallow short man with an insufferable arrogance that even surpassed Howards later years. Whitlam was just out of his league although I voted for him. Rudd the dud no argument. Gillard is a screetching witch and an embarrasment to all of us except those who love Bob Brown and his map of Tasmania.
We are doomed.
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby southee » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:04 pm

Darth Vader wrote:Keating was a recognised failure, Hawke was an unfaithful shallow short man with an insufferable arrogance that even surpassed Howards later years. Whitlam was just out of his league although I voted for him. Rudd the dud no argument. Gillard is a screetching witch and an embarrasment to all of us except those who love Bob Brown and his map of Tasmania.
We are doomed.

It's a terrible time for politics ATM......bloody awful :oops:
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 861 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby GWW » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:15 am

Darth Vader wrote:Keating was a recognised failure, Hawke was an unfaithful shallow short man with an insufferable arrogance that even surpassed Howards later years. Whitlam was just out of his league although I voted for him. Rudd the dud no argument. Gillard is a screetching witch and an embarrasment to all of us except those who love Bob Brown and his map of Tasmania.
We are doomed.

And Abbott would probably be worse than all of them ;)
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby redandblack » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:10 am

We are doomed.

This is about who is the worst PM, so I'll try to stick to facts as opposed to just our partisan opinions. Worst PM would indicate a PM who either achieved nothing, or was bad for the country, or was widely regarded as being not up to the job.

I would contend that several PM's fit some of those categories, but not all. Malcolm Fraser was regarded as a failure by many Liberal MP's. I think John Howard was a proven liar and introduced fear of other cultures as a political tactic. Paul Keating was arrogant, Kevin Rudd didn't follow through on important issues and Gough Whitlam led in difficult times and couldn't control his troops.

Each of these, however, regardless of one's bias, achieved different things. I'm not sure what Fraser achieved, but he wasn’t the worst PM ever. Whitlam stopped conscription, recognized China and led an exciting transformation of the country after 23 years of Liberal government. Howard had his GST and Liberal supporters can say what else. Keating and Hawke transformed our economy, which even John Howard recognized as a great achievement and Kevin Rudd, in his short time, gave one of the greatest speeches in the history of Australia and made a giant step forward with his apology to the stolen generations, as well as getting Australia through the GFC better than any country in the world.

Julia Gillard has been PM for less than a year. She has already achieved some health reform, has started, at last, to tackle climate change, whether you agree or not and leads a government that has consistently achieved low interest rates, low unemployment, low inflation and good growth. They are facts, not opinion.

To just wipe every Labor or Liberal PM because you don’t like them is fine, but it doesn’t prove anything except our bias. My bias is that Howard was a poor PM, but that won’t be accepted as correct.

To those who didn’t know Billy McMahon as PM, I can assure you, as many on here have said, that he did nothing, stuffed up what he tried to do, wasn’t up to the job, was bad for the country and even most Liberal MP’s sighed with relief, along with most of the country when he was comfortably rolled at the election.
redandblack

Postby Media Park » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:52 am

Keating
Daylight
Gillard
Direct quote:
Wedgie wrote:I wear skin tight arseless leather pants, wtf do you wear?
Media Park
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Hellboy » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:55 am

redandblack wrote:
We are doomed.

This is about who is the worst PM, so I'll try to stick to facts as opposed to just our partisan opinions. Worst PM would indicate a PM who either achieved nothing, or was bad for the country, or was widely regarded as being not up to the job.

I would contend that several PM's fit some of those categories, but not all. Malcolm Fraser was regarded as a failure by many Liberal MP's. I think John Howard was a proven liar and introduced fear of other cultures as a political tactic. Paul Keating was arrogant, Kevin Rudd didn't follow through on important issues and Gough Whitlam led in difficult times and couldn't control his troops.

Each of these, however, regardless of one's bias, achieved different things. I'm not sure what Fraser achieved, but he wasn’t the worst PM ever. Whitlam stopped conscription, recognized China and led an exciting transformation of the country after 23 years of Liberal government. Howard had his GST and Liberal supporters can say what else. Keating and Hawke transformed our economy, which even John Howard recognized as a great achievement and Kevin Rudd, in his short time, gave one of the greatest speeches in the history of Australia and made a giant step forward with his apology to the stolen generations, as well as getting Australia through the GFC better than any country in the world.

Julia Gillard has been PM for less than a year. She has already achieved some health reform, has started, at last, to tackle climate change, whether you agree or not and leads a government that has consistently achieved low interest rates, low unemployment, low inflation and good growth. They are facts, not opinion.

To just wipe every Labor or Liberal PM because you don’t like them is fine, but it doesn’t prove anything except our bias. My bias is that Howard was a poor PM, but that won’t be accepted as correct.

To those who didn’t know Billy McMahon as PM, I can assure you, as many on here have said, that he did nothing, stuffed up what he tried to do, wasn’t up to the job, was bad for the country and even most Liberal MP’s sighed with relief, along with most of the country when he was comfortably rolled at the election.

:shock: I am genuinely shocked at that statement - they have achieved nothing, have very shallow policies and absolutely no vision at all. And to say they are facts and not your opinion - I must admit, your faith in your own opinion is admirable
Hellboy
Rookie

Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Compass

Postby Psyber » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:11 am

I'm with you Hellboy.
I've been posting links to articles from inside medical sources about how the health policies are falling over in various ways for some time.
Many of these pointed out the flaws in the design that made the collapse inevitable - a kind of built in self-destruct..

For example:
1. "Superclinics" can't get doctors because they decided that rather than "employ" doctors as promised they would get them to relocate existing practices and pay much higher rents.
2. They offered to fund extra Practice Nurses - if the doctors paid them first, did all the ATO and superannuation paper work, and waited 3 months for reimbursement.
They ignored the necessary clinical supervision by the GP who would have to cut patient contact time leaving patients waiting longer for appointments and the GP out of pocket for that time.

Predictably, GPs are not embracing these plans in droves, and the government can save the money while blaming the GPs for the non-delivery.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby redandblack » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:37 am

Well, hellboy, I'm happy to back my statements as more factual than yours.

I said she has achieved some health reform. That's a fact. You might not like what she's doing, but she's struck an agreement with the States. Fact.

I said she's started on climate change action. You might not like what she's doing, but it's a fact.

I said she leads a government that has presided over low inflation, low interest rates and low unemployment and good growth. Again, you might not like it, but it's a FACT.

Look at what you say.

'They have achieved nothing' Obviously opinion and not factual.

'Have very shallow policies.' Again, opinion, not fact.

'Have no vision at all". Again, opinion, not fact.

I'm criticised for my opinions, fair enough, so I'm trying to support that with facts. Perhaps you can point out where my facts are wrong, with factual rebiuttal, not just 'they're hopeless" type arguments.

Perhaps you could also let me know the policies and vision that Tony Abbott is putting forward, as I must have missed them somewhere.
redandblack

Postby southee » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:11 pm

redandblack wrote:Well, hellboy, I'm happy to back my statements as more factual than yours.

I said she has achieved some health reform. That's a fact. You might not like what she's doing, but she's struck an agreement with the States. Fact.

I said she's started on climate change action. You might not like what she's doing, but it's a fact.

I said she leads a government that has presided over low inflation, low interest rates and low unemployment and good growth. Again, you might not like it, but it's a FACT.

Look at what you say.

I'm criticised for my opinions, fair enough, so I'm trying to support that with facts. Perhaps you can point out where my facts are wrong, with factual rebiuttal, not just 'they're hopeless" type arguments.

Perhaps you could also let me know the policies and vision that Tony Abbott is putting forward, as I must have missed them somewhere.

She has achieved nothing....Rudd achieved the same and look what happened to him....how is Gillard so ahead in the above mentioned???
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 861 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby redandblack » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:23 pm

southee, nowhere have I said she's 'ahead'.

She's been in for less than 12 months, so no political observer would judge her yet.

If you're going to quote my post and respond to it, at least have the courtesy to read it first. I note you haven't pointed out any factual evidence at all.

Saying she's achieved nothing is just your opinion.

As far as bias is concerned, we're all biased, but at least I periodically praise various Liberal MP's.

That's something you rarely, if ever, do. Like Tony Abbott, it's just 100% negative about everything to do with the Government..
redandblack

Postby Psyber » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:06 pm

The Health reform agreement with the states is a watered down version of what Rudd proposed.
There is some extra Federal funding, but it has not changed the fundamentals.
The buck-passing between state and federal governments over who is responsible for the deficiencies can now go on as usual.
The states were always going to accept an agreement for extra federal money and no other major charge.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Hellboy » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:12 pm

redandblack wrote:Well, hellboy, I'm happy to back my statements as more factual than yours.

Look at what you say.

Well, aren't you just a very grumpy old man
My comments are clearly my opinion because I dont state they are fact like you do
I bet you find nobody will discuss politics with you in real life because you are biased, opinionated and argumentative
Maybe thats why you're on here all the time
I see you are a Moderator - that sets the bar very low for the behaviour of everyone else on here
Hellboy
Rookie

Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Compass

Postby redandblack » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:02 pm

I presume that lot of personal abuse is your substitute for debate and your lack of any argument?

As for behaviour, I note that you have already run foul of another Moderator and I'd suggest you read the rules of the site, as your post, which consists only of personal abuse, should also be deleted under those rules.

I enjoyed it, though, so it can stay ;)
redandblack

Postby dedja » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:55 pm

redandblack wrote:
We are doomed.

Each of these, however, regardless of one's bias, achieved different things.

What he said ...

Little Johnny Howard would have been a failure if Keating was, but he wasn't and little Johnny wasn't either, even though I despised many of his policies.

Anyone who thinks Keating was the worst PM ever doesn't understand politics ...
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 1024 times

Postby dedja » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:03 pm

Darth Vader wrote:Keating was a recognised failure

By who's reckoning?

Did the financial reforms of the 80's and 90's happen by themselves? :-s
dedja
Coach

Postby mick » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:41 am

I think if one takes Keating's career as a whole, he was a successful economic reformer, unfortunately he wasn't able to persuade Hawke and the ALP on the merits of a GST early in is first term as treasurer. I think Keating was less successful as a PM, however, he was immensely un-popular which tends to cloud people's view of him. I always enjoy seeing Keating interviewed there is no denying he has a superior intellect, and a firm grasp on economic matters, his achievements in his career are all the more amazing considering his lack of formal education. Don't get me wrong, Im not turning pinko, I was happy to see the end of him as PM but credit where credit is due, he had a stellar career by any measure.
mick
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time

Postby Gozu » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:29 pm

On Former Labor Prime Minister, Gough Whitlam:

"In terms of the Labor agenda this government has left every other Labor government bare arsed. No other government even gets within cooee of it. We have a cabinet which has a degree of economic sophistication which puts the Whitlam government into the cavemen class in economic terms."

In conversation with Whitlam:

Whitlam: "That was a good speech. You should go back comrade, and get yourself an honours degree."

Keating: "What for ? Then I'd be like you."

http://www.webcity.com.au/keating/
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Been liked: 660 times

Postby Sky Pilot » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:52 pm

Gillard is the worst PM this country has ever seen. Leaves McMahon for dead. He was a dunce - she is just a screeching left wing banshee who is caving in to the Greens.
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby dedja » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:55 pm

She's certainly not the best ...
dedja
Coach

Postby cripple » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:58 pm

worst PM in my life.... peter costello when little johnny was out of the country ;)

To be honest i dont know how any of us can sit here and cast aspersions towards others about their selection for worst PM ever. Maybe Bruce from the 20's should get a mention as we was the first PM to lose his seat at an election with Howard being the second. I know who i like and dislike but not confident to say who the worst was.
cripple
League Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics