The final cost of Labor's carbon tax......

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: The final cost of Labor's carbon tax......

Postby Drop Bear » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:29 pm

just another tax we have pay, that won't benefit anybody but governments and corporations.
1. M Hayden.
Drop Bear
League - Top 5

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby fish » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:30 pm

southee wrote:http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/national/pms-carbon-tax-to-cost-households-1660-a-week-treasury-figures-show/story-e6frea8c-1226032224436

Well, keep throwing the pennies in the jar for the year.

Im sure Labor voters would even question this.....poor form Gillard and co. :evil:
Southee to claim that these figures represent the "final cost" of the proposed carbon tax is absolute rubbish.

As redandblack has pointed out, the carbon price has not been decided yet and the compensation has not yet been factored in. Furthermore, the cost savings that people can make by reducing their consumption of carbon intensive products is also not included - this saving will vary from person to person.

You undermine your credibility when you need to resort to such deceitful headlines to get your point across about the carbon tax.
fish
Coach

Has liked: 185 times
Been liked: 48 times

Postby fish » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Dog_ger there are so many errors in your post I hardly know where to start. So I'll start from the beginning:

Dog_ger wrote:Does anyone think that this tax will benefit anyone but the political superannuation fund?
Incorrect. The money raised is likely to be used to compensate low income earners, to protect export exposed industries and to invest in low carbon technologies.

Dog_ger wrote:It sure isn't going to save the planet on a world scale, from climate change.
I find this comment very strange from someone who has said elsewhere that climate change "is a lot of carp". Sure, Australians cannot save the world on our own but if we can act to reduce our share of greenhouse gas emissions that is a good place to start.

Dog_ger wrote:The poluters will go off shore to a country like china.
I am really struggling to understand how our coal fired power stations are going to go to China? Or our fossil fuel powered cars, trucks etc.

Dog_ger wrote:Where there is no such tax.
Wrong again - China already has an effective carbon tax on it’s electricity sector and is reported to be planning to introduce some sort of carbon trading scheme in 2012.

Dog_ger wrote:Like every other manufacturing industry has/is doing.
This is about the only valid point you have. However I’d be very surprised if export exposed industries are not given some assistance or exemptions as part of the carbon tax package. Until there is an international carbon trading scheme these industries will need to be protected in some way.

Dog_ger wrote:The final cost will be financial hardship and job losses.
It is estimated that the cost of action on climate change will be less than the cost of inaction. Climate change is predicted to bring more extreme weather events, bushfires, coastal flooding etc, all of which will cost us bucketloads. Not to mention crop failures, an increase in diseases, droughts and the like. As for job losses it is predicted that job losses in carbon intensive industries will be made up by job gains in low emission technologies.
fish
Coach

Postby Dog_ger » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:53 pm

Fish, do you live with mum and dad..?
Smile :)

It's only Money $$$ :)

What is happening to our SANFL guys...
Dog_ger
Coach

Been liked: 19 times

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:20 pm

fish wrote: It is estimated that the cost of action on climate change will be less than the cost of inaction. Climate change is predicted to bring more extreme weather events, bushfires, coastal flooding etc, all of which will cost us bucketloads. Not to mention crop failures, an increase in diseases, droughts and the like. As for job losses it is predicted that job losses in carbon intensive industries will be made up by job gains in low emission technologies.

Estimated. Predicted. But no real facts.

I agree something needs to be done in regard to pollution, especially air and water, but save us the "hippy scare mongering".
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby fish » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:35 pm

The Sleeping Giant wrote:
fish wrote: It is estimated that the cost of action on climate change will be less than the cost of inaction. Climate change is predicted to bring more extreme weather events, bushfires, coastal flooding etc, all of which will cost us bucketloads. Not to mention crop failures, an increase in diseases, droughts and the like. As for job losses it is predicted that job losses in carbon intensive industries will be made up by job gains in low emission technologies.

I agree something needs to be done in regard to pollution, especially air and water, but save us the "hippy scare mongering".
How about asking Dog_ger to provide some facts to back up his statements?
fish
Coach

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:43 pm

Won't get too many facts out of Dog_ger. How about you supply some facts.
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Postby Dog_ger » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:31 pm

fish wrote:
The Sleeping Giant wrote:

How about asking Dog_ger to provide some facts to back up his statements?

There are no facts. "Save the Murray Fund" What happened to the Billions..? Where has it gone..?

Someone is lying to us all.

"Save the Murray fund" still exists.

Will it ever stop?

People in rooms are plotting to somehow think of a tax so no-one will complain.

Wake up.

The governments of Australia have mis-managed the taxes for years. When does it stop?
Last edited by Dog_ger on Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dog_ger
Coach

Postby fish » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:36 pm

The Sleeping Giant wrote:Won't get too many facts out of Dog_ger.
Nah I didn't think so. ;)

The Sleeping Giant wrote:How about you supply some facts.
Yep will do - give me a fews days though I have a busy weekend with my kids...
fish
Coach

Postby Dog_ger » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:52 pm

Maybe you should think of your kids and how they are going to afford a house without being over taxed fish. ;)

Because they are only going to work to pay their taxes my good friend and if we don't stand up now.... ;)

Dog_ger
Coach

Postby southee » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:10 pm

Dog_ger wrote:Maybe you should think of your kids and how they are going to afford a house without being over taxed fish. ;)

Because they are only going to work to pay their taxes my good friend and if we don't stand up now.... ;)

Spot on Dog_ger....I fear the future for my little one. :(
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 861 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby Leaping Lindner » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:53 am

southee wrote:
Dog_ger wrote:Maybe you should think of your kids and how they are going to afford a house without being over taxed fish. ;)

And what sort of planet are your kids going to inherit if our generation don't take some real action on climate change?
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby mick » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:48 am

Leaping Lindner wrote:
southee wrote:

And what sort of planet are your kids going to inherit if our generation don't take some real action on climate change?

Sadly I agree, but we are probably 50 years too late to do anything meaningful, when I was a first year uni student in 1973 our chemistry lecturer a guy called Prof John Bockris, predicted the sort of greenhouse driven weather patterns that are starting to emerge now and that governments should have been preparing then (in the 1970s!) for changes. Sadly the horse has bolted. The best thing our children can do is adapt, they'll have to.
mick
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Q. » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:52 am

Part of that adaptation is moving away from using finite resources to generate energy into developing efficient methods of harnessing renewable energy.

Of course, the global power elite is inextricably linked with control of finite resources and that shift of reliance is against their best short-term interests.

"We may face a scorched and lifeless earth, but they're accountable to their shareholders first."
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Leaping Lindner » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:08 am

Quichey wrote:Part of that adaptation is moving away from using finite resources to generate energy into developing efficient methods of harnessing renewable energy.

Of course, the global power elite is inextricably linked with control of finite resources and that shift of reliance is against their best short-term interests.

"We may face a scorched and lifeless earth, but they're accountable to their shareholders first."

When all the trees have been cut down.
When all the animals have been hunted.
When all the waters are polluted.
When all the air is unsafe to breathe......only then will you discover you cannot eat money.
Cree (Native American)Prophecy
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby Psyber » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:06 pm

Quichey wrote:Part of that adaptation is moving away from using finite resources to generate energy into developing efficient methods of harnessing renewable energy.
The only method that may produce sufficient energy I ever came across was the L5 solar energy project which was going ahead as a joint project with the USSR when Jimmy Carter was US president.
They were already training joint Russian-American crews, but it was abandoned for "Star Wars" under his successor Ronnie Reagan.
It is hard for solar energy to work efficiently under our atmosphere and wind is not reliable for base load.
*We also don't seem to have, here in Oz, sources of geothermal energy anywhere near the water we need for steam generation from it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_Power_Satellite

* I'm not absolutely sure of that and am happy to be corrected by anyone with the geological knowledge.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby fish » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:22 am

Leaping Lindner wrote:
southee wrote:

And I dare say your kids will be pretty pissed off with you if they ever find out you were spreading lies and misinformation about the carbon tax too... [-x
fish
Coach

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:45 pm

fish wrote:
Leaping Lindner wrote:
southee wrote:

And I dare say your kids will be pretty pissed off with you if they ever find out you were spreading lies and misinformation about the carbon tax too... [-x

Practice what you preach.
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Postby fish » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:11 pm

Fair enough TSG - lets start with southees title for this thread.
southee wrote:The final cost of Labor's carbon tax......
fish wrote:As redandblack has pointed out, the carbon price has not been decided yet and the compensation has not yet been factored in. Furthermore, the cost savings that people can make by reducing their consumption of carbon intensive products is also not included - this saving will vary from person to person.
I believe it is universally understood that there will be some sort of compensation introduced as part of the carbon tax package. Click here for a potted history of the Australian carbon tax, and note the following passage:

On February 24, 2011, Australian Federal government announced a framework to implement a Carbon Tax from July 1, 2012. It is set to be implemented over 3-5 year period upon which it will switch to a cap and trade system. The price has not been set but various proposals have been discussed in the recent past, such as $23/t and $26/t. The announcement came after an agreement between the Federal Labor government, the Greens and two Independent MPs and included commitments to ensure all funds collected go back to homes and businesses to assist in the transition to renewables.

As far as I'm aware the carbon price has still not been announced and nor has the compensation and other details.

And my comment about the cost savings that people can make by reducing their consumption of carbon intensive products is simple mathematics. For example if your electricity bill goes up by $55 as a result of the carbon tax but you then reduce your electricity usage then you effectively avoid paying some or all of the tax.

So southees title for the thread was, at best, misleading and, at worst, an outright lie. I believe my response was spot-on.

I'll move onto Dog_gers post next time I have a moment to spare...
fish
Coach

Postby Sojourner » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:38 pm

Labor / Gillard are PROMISING that those on low incomes wont be worse off under a Carbon Tax and people actually believe it?......

This is the same Prime Minister that said there would be NO Carbon Tax in the first place?

Why should anyone even remotely accept that her statement about people being on low income not being worse off would have any truth at all in it?

What else are they lying about?
Steamranger, South Australia's best ever Tourist Attraction, Treat Yourself, Let your Money Buy you Happiness!!!
Sojourner
Veteran

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics